Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Henderson on peno duty when Balotelli is on the pitch?!

Someone at the club needs a clip around the ear if that's the case

Balotelli didn't start the match. It makes sense to nominate a penalty taker from amongst the starters.

The only thing that worries me from that episode was Henderson giving in to Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ****it, to be honest it doesn't bother me at all.

If it was anyone other than one of the best peno takers in the world id be annoyed. Yeah Henderson was supposed to take it, but if you asked me before hand who should take it, I (and most id imagine) would've said Balotelli.

What I find most embarrasing is that Henderson was the designated peno taker when Mario was on the pitch!

Followed a close second by Gerrard airing dirty laundry on ITV. Silly behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Jesus people love to criticise the man even when he's not playing they will find a way

I love Gerrard and generally defend him on here. I don't like a current player discussing dressing room politics on tv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ooooohhhhh and there's the 'why couldn't he have made that save a few months earlier' joke from the UTV lads. Fcukers. Poor Stevie :( :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    Saying that Mario showed a bit of disrespect to Henderson by taking the ball off him.

Stupid thing to say. He's gone on Holywood (Co. Down that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard not too happy with Ballotelli actions.

This is why I don't like him doing TV when Liverpool play. If he has a problem talk about it in the morning in melwood, not on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Only seen the last 10 mins, but Ballo was at the same ****e at city, fighting over pens and free kicks, he's done nothing to warrant having first shout over any dead ball situation, he's lucky to be on the pitch, Hendo should have been stronger, if that was Gerrard making the call Ballo would be told to quiet down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

What I find most embarrasing is that Henderson was the designated peno taker when Mario was on the pitch!

Followed a close second by Gerrard airing dirty laundry on ITV. Silly behaviour.

No chance that Rodgers told Mario to take one if we got one? Maybe wasn't relayed to Hendo before it came up... might not be the case but seems likely to me. Then again i haven't heard the post match stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Balotelli didn't start the match. It makes sense to nominate a penalty taker from amongst the starters.

The only thing that worries me from that episode was Henderson giving in to Balotelli.

If Gerrard was the sub that came on do you think he would have let Henderson take it in that scenario? It wouldn't have been an issue then for Gerrard to take it and it shouldn't be an issue tonight for Balotelli to take it.

You think if Gerrard came on as a sub instead of Mario, Henderson would still be taking it? Henderson shouldn't be near a peno when Mario is on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I missed Hendersons words (if he said 'em) flicked over to Charlie Brooker.

End of year round up is infinitely better.

What happened after the Everton game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Balotelli played well when he came on but more drama around him again. Hendo dealt with the child in Mario very well imo but I hope Rodgers deals with it behind doors. Hate seeing that crap on the field. Overall I thought Ibe was excellent and once he adds end product could be an outstanding player. Moreno needs work on his end product. Sturridge was off tonight but good to see him last the 90. Typical Coutinho off night. Consistency has got to be the biggest issue with him. I really like lallana as a player but that was some miss! Hendo got one or two class passes away and then got over enthused! Very important we didnt concede. Job done. Roll on Southampton Sunday!

I love Gerrard and generally defend him on here. I don't like a current player discussing dressing room politics on tv

Same. It's not smart at all. Look at Hodgson having to defend Rooney diving the last night. It's a recipe for disaster at the best of times.

If Gerrard was the sub that came on do you think he would have let Henderson take it in that scenario? It wouldn't have been an issue then for Gerrard to take it and it shouldn't be an issue tonight for Balotelli to take it.

Snap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That is so stupid from Gerrard

He is a smart guy,he knows exactly what he was doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah, i really don't know why Gerrard was talking so much about it. Just shrug it off on TV and say what you have to say to the lads in private.

I can see the Henderson being the taker thing, since he started and wouldn't have been coming off for anything other than an injury, but there should be an overall club hierarchy - whoever is highest on the field, takes it: Gerrard, Balotelli, Henderson.

Was funny to have Peter Reid beside Gerrard saying the stuff Gerrard should have been saying. That the competitive spirit and confidence of a guy wanting to take it is only a good thing, and that at the end of the day, the guy who should have taken the pen, took the pen.

Is that really worrying?

Henderson is hardly a penalty taker. He made the right choice giving it to a known penalty taker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Only seen the last 10 mins, but Ballo was at the same ****e at city, fighting over pens and free kicks, he's done nothing to warrant having first shout over any dead ball situation, he's lucky to be on the pitch, Hendo should have been stronger, if that was Gerrard making the call Ballo would be told to quiet down!

Sorry but you are wrong, balo whatever else you might think of him is one of if not the best pk taker in world football, hendo or sturridge to take it before hime is laughable tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

At least the players want to take high pressure pens, many would walk away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

kfallon wrote: »
    He missed 2 in a row in Serie A last season, one was against Reina

Yea but how many has he scored m8.

You are wrong. He has a fantastic penalty scoring rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nick an away goal and we should be fine, job done.

Balotelli should be taking penalties when Gerrard isn't on, simple as that.

Thought Lalana was poor tonight as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If Henderson was the elected penalty taker, and is also the captain, and he wanted to take it, then it's really really weak from him.

Maybe.

At the same time, I feel like it could've been worse if he makes a big thing of it. I don't think trying to argue with Balotelli was going to be fruitful.
    It doesn't matter whether you're a softie like Moreno or Roy Keane, you're not going to outargue Mario.

Causing it to drag on would've done more harm than good so I think discretion was the better part of valour in this case.

It's an awkward situation better left to be dealt with by the manager. If he's gone over the head of the manager and the captain then that's a whole different ball game and he doesn't even deserve a slap on the back in the dressing room.

He's not some mega-star we need to keep sweet. I hope Rodgers absolutely demolishes him in the dressing room and afterwards makes him the deputy penalty taker when he's on the pitch (because he probably is the best at it at the club).

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Reporter " Who was supposed to take the penalty"
    Rodgers " Gerrard" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Imagine if Balo had missed that penalty. Cue an absolute shiitstorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gerrard would have been captain then though. I think his message is that no one should question the captain and certainly not over-rule them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    yeah, i really don't know why Gerrard was talking so much about it. Just shrug it off on TV and say what you have to say to the lads in private.

I can see the Henderson being the taker thing, since he started and wouldn't have been coming off for anything other than an injury, but there should be an overall club hierarchy - whoever is highest on the field, takes it: Gerrard, Balotelli, Henderson.

Was funny to have Peter Reid beside Gerrard saying the stuff Gerrard should have been saying. That the competitive spirit and confidence of a guy wanting to take it is only a good thing, and that at the end of the day, the guy who should have taken the pen, took the pen.

No, whoever is the best penalty taker takes it and that is balo no question(if stevie isnt playing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It was a misunderstanding on the pitch, nothing more. Was quite animated and has been blown out of proportion. Gerrard's words have only added to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

K-9 wrote: »
    Nick an away goal and we should be fine, job done.

Balotelli should be taking penalties when Gerrard isn't on, simple as that.

Thought Lalana was poor tonight as well.

They will have to come out and play at home so should be plenty of chances for liverpool over there.

My issue isn't with Balotelli taking it, he clearly was the right man to take it.

My issue is the captain on the pitch letting his authority be undermined. That obviously wouldn't have been an issue if it was Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

My understanding of the situation was that henderson was the delegated taker and so he grabbed the ball. Balotelli took it off him and henderson was a little miffed at the disrespect but willing to let balotelli go ahead. Sturridge didnt like seeing this disrespect towards the captain and questioned why balotelli was taking it. Id say it had been decided before the game that of the 11 players who started, henderson was the delegated penalty taker. However, with balotelli on the pitch it should be a no brainer to let him take it. Has he ever missed one? Has henderson ever taken one? It was a bit disrespectful to henderson but i say fair play to balotelli all the same for making the right call and backing himself. Hes certainly not short of confidence which is good to see. I dont think sturridge was ever arguing to take the penalty himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyway - the game

Sturridge and Coutinho were both fairly terrible, the former dwelt far too much too often or simply refused to see anyone else, Phil needs a game or two off. Balotelli was excellent again, worked hard off the ball, clever use of the ball, stayed clam when tackled and took a pefect peno. Ibe plays like someone who hasn't realised he's meant to be the new kid, and prone to making errors! Can was a bit dodge - trying to play football in places it wasn't wise to. Sakhos passing stats remain phenomenal, Allen was very tidy Lallana nearly but not quite, Mig again had a fine game, not called to do that much but alert when needed.

If my life was on the line and I could pick from that 11 on who was taking the penalty to save me I would pick Balotelli. I don't think many would disagree with that. He's probably the best in the world at it and his record shows that.

I'll settle for the few disagreeing with him taking it knowing the potential meltdown that would be happening now if Henderson took it and skied it in to row Z.

Game won, happy out :)

edit: on a bigger picture Balotelli needs that kind of confidence boost more than Henderson. A win-win all round imo.

Is that really worrying?

Henderson is hardly a penalty taker. He made the right choice giving it to a known penalty taker

But that's not what he did.

He believed he should have took the penalty, but didn't. He walked away, not satisfied that he had delegated the responsibility, he was shaking his head and mouthing '**** sake' or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Mario has never missed a peno in a competitive game, or one?

Missed one against Reina when he played for Napoli actually. He stood his ground til the end and then just followed the flight of the ball (balo didn't get it in the corner) which is something you don't see keepers do too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Whatever about the penalty incident,whose idea is it to let Henderson take the direct free kicks because he's ****ing hopeless at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Is that really worrying?

How many peno's have you seen him take?

But that's not what he did.

He believed he should have took the penalty, but didn't. He walked away, not satisfied that he had delegated the responsibility, he was shaking his head and mouthing '**** sake' or something similar.

He didn't look like a chap that wanted to take a penalty. Luckily Ballotelli took it from him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Balotelli was the best option on the pitch. Henderson and Sturridge need to recognise that. And Gerrard needs to learn to shut his hole in the tv studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Whatever about the penalty incident,whose idea is it to let Henderson take the direct free kicks because he's ****ing hopeless at them.

Yea was hoping Mario would of taken that on at the end.

Good result and deserved but still be a very tough game in a hostile atmosphere next week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Balo is a better pen taker than Hendo, Hendo knows this. That said I would have preferred if he gave Balo the ball.

We won. No away goal. Ibe impressed. Full game for Sturridge.
    Plus I think they will have at least a couple of players missing for the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Henderson, as captain, was deemed the designated penalty taker out of those in the starting team

When Balotelli came on he obviously believed he was now the penalty taker

Henderson wasn't aware of this

While Balotelli is the better taker, Henderson is the captain and probably believes he shouldn't be argued with

Sturridge wasn't trying to take the penalty, but rather trying to get Henderson to stand his ground.

That's how I see the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »

Haven't seen him taking a peno but his general shooting is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

darced wrote: »

He shouldn't have made the comment but thats Stevie just being his honest self.
    Throwing mario under the bus is a bit ott.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    That is so stupid from Gerrard

He is a smart guy,he knows exactly what he was doing
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfVxtdPcxBGOYBv7sQGNEmqFTXBrzejVER4fROymHIEGlZqLTCfA

• Advertisement

None. That's my point.

Ballotelli is a known fantastic pen taker. He should be 2nd in line after Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Missed one against Reina when he played for Napoli actually. He stood his ground til the end and then just followed the flight of the ball (balo didn't get it in the corner) which is something you don't see keepers do too often.

Yeah, he missed one against Genoa as well i think.

That's about it though, his record % is still absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Being the best peno taker in the world or not is absolutely no reason for him to disrespect his captain and club, having first shot at a peno or free kick is something you earn, so i'll say again Ballo has not come anywhere near having done enough to have a shout at either.

We did'nt pay 16m and 120k a week for a player who's only good at taking a peno now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

None iirc thankfully. Love hendo but my grandmother has better shooting and shes dead.

Sturridge probably has an argument to take a peno but balo, for all his faults is one of the best peno takers around. Disappointing to see gerrard give the media something to latch onto with his comments, think rodgers handled the post match presser well regarding the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Haven't seen him taking a peno but his general shooting is terrible.

Mario's shooting has been great though has it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement