Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Took some nerve from Balotelli, given the season he's had, to step up and take that kick and stare everyone down. The internet would have melted had he missed. Fair fux to him.

Of course he could be just nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

All said though, Brendan probably should have forseen this issue with Gerrard off the pitch.

How do you know he didn't? Its all really speculation but judging on what we've seen, BR had Hendo as peno taker 1.
    I've no problem with what Gerrard said on TV

You have no problem with a club captain talking about internal matters on live TV? Is it because Mario is being called disrespectful and you dont like him so its fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Are we still talking about this? Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's only a matter of time before one of Can's mistakes costs us a goal and this place erupts. I'm a huge fan of his and think he's done well at CB but in recent weeks he has looked a little more shaky. I think now is the right time to bring Lovren back into the starting line up and move Can into his preferred position.

100%. I wouldn't say he's been found out, but he tooks some risks at CB that he shouldn't, made two blind passes back to a Besiktas player.
    And it certainly pushed the idea that Lovren back in with Can in midfield is the way to go, despite Lloyd thinking that Lovren doesn't deserve it...

kfallon wrote: »

It happened last night, it was a talking point this morning. Not everyone has the luxury of logging on directly after a game to discuss the events. What else should we discuss? Has anything else happened since? Feel free to add to the conversation or change the conversation to a topic you'd rather discuss. The "Jesus wept" posts are not helpful in either case.

Dickerty wrote: »
    100%. I wouldn't say he's been found out, but he tooks some risks at CB that he shouldn't, made two blind passes back to a Besiktas player.
    And it certainly pushed the idea that Lovren back in with Can in midfield is the way to go, despite Lloyd thinking that Lovren doesn't deserve it...

If Lovren never played another game for us I wouldn't be upset. I'd have Toure in before Lovren even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers said what Gerrard should of said. "We won that's what matters"
    Gerrard really pissed me off last night and should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

We won so there's nothing else to be outraged about. We like a bit of outrage. It's the lifeblood of the thread.

If we win it gets quiet enough around her but if we lose...place loses its collective marbles.

Just listening to Gerrard.."Rules are rules, Codes are codes inside the dressing room"

That's where it should stay then in the dressing room not on ITV.

Why? It's not like it's a secret. I do think Stevie should have reined in his comments, but he was right, that whoever Rodgers agreed should have taken it.

But Hendo handled the interview well, and Balo was quickly on Instagram to calm the strorm, so I think the media will forget it quickly, although I doubt the internet fans will...

NukaCola wrote: »
    If Lovren never played another game for us I wouldn't be upset. I'd have Toure in before Lovren even.

Seriously? He's been that poor??

Why do we give up on clearly good players so quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It happened last night, it was a talking point this morning. Not everyone has the luxury of logging on directly after a game to discuss the events. What else should we discuss? Has anything else happened since? Feel free to add to the conversation or change the conversation to a topic you'd rather discuss. The "Jesus wept" posts are not helpful in either case.

Maybe we should move on and discuss a massive league game on Sunday, who should play, who might be a doubt, where any of the 3 possible outcomes will leave us in respect to finishing 4th!

And the bit in bold, how is any comment on a forum helpful/unhelpful to the good of the club? :confused:

Seriously? He's been that poor??

Why do we give up on clearly good players so quickly?

For the money we paid he's been a disaster. A definite liability. Does he deserve another shot despite us looking solid without him in the team?

I'd use him as rotation only. He has never been clearly good for us, or even in good form and he's played enough games to be judged as really poor and thats what matters to me at this point. Sure he may come good but right now I would not have him in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there would be no ****storm if Stevie kept his gob shut...goal was scored,hendo said he gave it when Mario asked...on we go...but no,this will Go on for days..blaming hendo is stupid...blame the captain in the studio

Maybe we should move on and discuss a massive league game on Sunday, who should play, who might be a doubt, where any of the 3 possible outcomes will leave us in respect to finishing 4th!

And the bit in bold, how is any comment on a forum helpful/unhelpful to the good of the club? :confused:

Exactly! :D

As for the bolded bit what i mean was it doesn't move discussion on from where it was, as in it doesn't help moving on from the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Henderson looks so clueless in that pic he could be Pascoe's son.....wearing shorts too.

Why? It's not like it's a secret. I do think Stevie should have reined in his comments, but he was right, that whoever Rodgers agreed should have taken it.

Why? At the end of the day, the club captain talked out of turn to the media about his team mates. You can take what you want from it but he should just have said nothing. It adds weight to an incident that might have been shrugged off and sorted internally. Its not a huge deal or anything, just unnecessary, not something I would like to hear from a captain but thats just me.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Henderson looks so clueless in that pic he could be Pascoe's son.....wearing shorts too.

Comparing him to Pascoe? Thread hits a new low :(

Turtyturd wrote: »

He looks a bit lost alright. Think he was looking to the bench for info at one point. :(

Pascoe's a gent, thread hits a new high IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Meanwhile back at the ranch. What are your thoughts on the starting line up for Southampton. Is Sterling 100% fit?

For the money we paid he's been a disaster. A definite liability. Does he deserve another shot despite us looking solid without him in the team?

Well yes, when we are talking about needing Can in midfield because Lucas and Gerrard are out. Someone has to fill that gap. Not rotation, covering for injury.

And let's not forget, when he was in the side, LOTS of players were under-performing. Lallana, Markovic, Balo, Moreno all started badly. But as a centre back, every mistake is amplified. He was not the only guilty one.

To suggest that a pro with nearly 250 senior appearances, and always highly rated, is suddenly garbage because of a poor start in an underperforming side - well, that makes NO sense to me.

Johnson, Lucas, Allen and Skrtel have all had spells where they were considered MUCK, and all keep getting chances. 2 of those are now part of our best XI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Meanwhile back at the ranch. What are your thoughts on the starting line up for Southampton. Is Sterling 100% fit?

Ibe has to be a starter.

Mario deserves a chance now. His demeanour has changed. I'll go as far as saying, he played better than Sturridge last night. Held the ball up well. Got past players. Found his man with his passing

The Southampton game is a must win. A draw isn't really good enough but not a complete disaster, a loss would be a huge blow to top 4. Really hope our form continues but Southampton away will be the toughest game we've had since in the league since Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

0.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The pace we are going to have in the top half of the pitch is going to be unreal.
    Glimpses were seen last night. Moreno, Ibe, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli (maybe) and then with Coutinho between it all feeding them.
    That's going to scare the bejaysus out of oppositions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Coutinho was really poor last night, he's the kind of player you who if he'll be good or bad after 10 mins.

Well yes, when we are talking about needing Can in midfield because Lucas and Gerrard are out. Someone has to fill that gap. Not rotation, covering for injury.

And let's not forget, when he was in the side, LOTS of players were under-performing. Lallana, Markovic, Balo, Moreno all started badly. But as a centre back, every mistake is amplified. He was not the only guilty one.

To suggest that a pro with nearly 250 senior appearances, and always highly rated, is suddenly garbage because of a poor start in an underperforming side - well, that makes NO sense to me.

Johnson, Lucas, Allen and Skrtel have all had spells where they were considered MUCK, and all keep getting chances. 2 of those are now part of our best XI...

Allen coming in to midfield is less of a liability than Lovren coming into defense.

Yes we were under performing but he couldn't even get the basics right. He was a mess, surely you would agree more or less?

Its not uncommon that good players lose form when playing for certain clubs. Its also not uncommon for players to regain form and be a key part of the team. So it should make sense to you in some way? I mean I see where your coming from with trying to integrate him back and hope he recovers form etc I just dont agree with you that it needs to be right now.

Lovren does not need to be brought back in to CB when we look solid as of now. As you said yourself, CB is too critical with mistakes to mess with. Can wont be a huge improvement over Allen but he is on Lovren at the minute. We need to ride the wave of good form so to speak, no need to tinker around to accommodate an under performing/low confidence player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

rob316 wrote: »
    Coutinho was really poor last night, he's the kind of player you who if he'll be good or bad after 10 mins.

He just looked knackered. Suprised he started

He just looked knackered. Suprised he started

I was surprised as well. He's looked knackered for a few games now. He really needs a rest but we really need him at the same time. Every game is vital now so when do you rest him?

flanzer wrote: »
    Ibe has to be a starter.

Mario deserves a chance now. His demeanour has changed. I'll go as far as saying, he played better than Sturridge last night. Held the ball up well. Got past players. Found his man with his passing

Agree with both to start, which means Lallana or Coutinho make way. Rest of the team the same.
    I think Lallana should start, for the game that's in it. Coutinho deserves a rest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I was surprised as well. He's looked knackered for a few games now. He really needs a rest but we really need him at the same time. Every game is vital now so when do you rest him?

He shouldn't play against southampton
    Same back 5 henderson and Allen sterling behind Sturridge and balloteli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Because what we and the press and the radio stations and tv stations should be talking about today is how bloody good Jordan Ibe was on his European debut instead everyone is talking about Gerrard throwing Mario under the bus on live tv over scoring the winning goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Because what we and the press and the radio stations and tv stations should be talking about today is how bloody good Jordan Ibe was on his European debut instead everyone is talking about Gerrard throwing Mario under the bus on live tv over scoring the winning goal.

Exactly.

Was so good at taking on the defender. Lost count how many times he took on the defender and beat him, easily. He needs to work on his final ball big time, but that will come. The natural talent is there to see with his dribbling. His pace & surprising power is so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know you are trying to make it sound like having Toure in the team is some crazy idea but, based on his performances for ther club when he has played, I have no idea why.

I'm not saying that. But he was asked a question, he gave his honest opinion.
    I just don't understand people saying that the rules of the locker room are some sort of protected secret...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

delw wrote: »
    Henderson bottled it when Balotelli took the ball but im probably the only one who thinks Balotelli wrong for doing what he done. At the end of the day a plan is set in place & the captain on the night was the person decided by BR to take penos which Balotelli decided to it should be him.If Balotelli is deemed the better taker of penos id question why was it not part of the plan that if Balotelli on the pitch he take them,if not then Henderson

/rant over

You're not the only one who thought Balo was wrong to do what he did.
    With the benefit of hindsight, are you the only one who would prefer if he hadn't done that and allowed Hendo to take the penalty?

I do think this whole thing could have been dealt with with much less fuss if Gerrard had chosen different words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'm not saying that. But he was asked a question, he gave his honest opinion.
    I just don't understand people saying that the rules of the locker room are some sort of protected secret...

Because as captain of the club his responsibility is to toe the company line. Answer the question like Jordan did.

I've come into work to everyone waffling on about the disrespect shown by mario. If it wasn't mario it wouldn't even be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Regrettably Lovren doesn't deserve it for the rest of this season. Best time for rehab will be next season. Have a look at his yellow card last night. Got caught too far up the pitch with the ball on his side, then had to scramble back with his back to the ball and ended up clattering the lad who ahd already gotten the ball away. His head is still very much somewhere else - I don't want to see him re-integrated right now but believe there is a player in there still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

dogbert27 wrote: »
    25D88DB900000578-0-image-a-24_1424386363008.jpg

For me the worst thing from this picture is Henderson looking like he doesn't know what to do with Sturridge trying to tell him what he should be doing and Ibe looking on wondering WTF?

For what it's worth though I think Henderson would have scored the penalty. It would have set him up as the captain incumbent who can take high pressure kicks on a European night when Gerrard is gone. But that's neither here nor there.

On the other hand Balotelli's penalty record speaks for itself and I would always hand him the ball if Gerrard wasn't on the pitch.

I'm still in shock at Sturridge's penalty miss against Everton last season so I would not want him anywhere near it.

Sterling - Ibe - Sturridge look like they could be a Pokemon evolution chain

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

How do you know he didn't? Its all really speculation but judging on what we've seen, BR had Hendo as peno taker 1.

Are you really giving Mario the benefit of the doubt over Jordan Henderson?? I understand that Mario has his sympathisers but that is just delusional.

Personally I am more than happy to "speculate" that Mario overruled both captain and manager by demanding the penalty rather than assuming the captain's arm band went to Jordan's head and he suddenly went on some weird power trip.

What happened would have been all over the news whether Gerrard called him disrespectful or not. It was Mario Balotelli, playing for Liverpool, fighting with the captain and the team's top striker, over a late penalty to win a European match. It is the type of scenario the rags dream of.

Sterling - Ibe - Sturridge look like they could be a Pokemon evolution chain

Was Sturridge really complaining on Hendo's belhalf or did he want to take it?

Although this whole incident has been blown out of proportion, it does worry me that it could give further credence to the notion that Mario is a fairly divisive character in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

A lot of people making mistakes tonight with regards to the peno incident, Rodgers(having hendo on them), Balo(disrespecting the captain), Gerrard(talking out of school) Sturridge. There was only one bottler though, not something you want to see from a captain, especially someone who is gonna be permanent captain in the near future.

Henderson clearly wasn't trying to be diplomatic, he let himself be bullied. i'm no student of group dynamics, but it's a bad sign. Rodgers was rash in making him vice-captain.

Im happy Balo took the penalty, but not the way it came about. Hendo stuck between a rock and a hard place.....he was bullied by Balo, but if he stands his ground and argues we are in the news for manager lost the dressing room, and all that boll**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can anyone find a clip of Gerrards post match comments about the penalty?

Gerrard said a bit much but nothing overly inflammatory.
    Sturridge looked a right t1t and I am a huge Sturridge fan.
    Ballo showed huge positive traits last night, fair play to him.

Overall, ball in the net and a little storm in a smaller teacup.

If Henderson had been firmer it could have been more farcical. 2 lads rolling around on the ground trying to take the ball from each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Something I'd expect from an ex-player. Deffo should have avoided talking about it on t.v. Or laughed it off. Or something. Just not that.

But it's all not really a big deal, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mario was right, he's completely nuts and everybody will try and pull him to the ordinary mundane where everyone says and does the accepted thing, and it's as boring as fcuk.

Crazy makes the world go round, crazy stays up all night, crazy sees things the way others don't, crazy does crazy things sometimes good sometimes bad but always crazy.

Crazy doesn't get fazed, crazy just keeps going when others won't. There's different types of crazy, Suarez, Costa, Keane and Balotelli* are all insane and it can sometimes back fire and for some more than others.

We all need a bit of crazy and we need people who just think differently.

Mario Balotelli I salute you, you deranged gifted orignal footballer.

*not saying Balotelli is as good as those but he is as mildly insane as them though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement