Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There is another clip where you see Sturridge go up and tap Mario on the arm as if to say well done...I think we are making a bigger deal out of it than the players..

The club will release some pictures of Sturridge and Mario laughing and joking and all will be right with the world again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

spockety wrote: »
    What did we really learn during the peno incident? Nothing about Henderson. We learned that Daniel doesn't like Mario. Basically.

Let's see how they feel about each other after setting on a few goals for each other. It did wonders for Suarez and Sturridge.

Sturridge should have put in Balo from the Sterling break 5 mins earlier, so he has his own failings to answer for...

Mario going on like a pure boss in that vid :pac: big outrageous moustache on him and all. I just can't hate the guy.

Same. Hopefully he can keep up with the good performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

10 pages since last night, did we even have that many when Súarez bit someone? :)

Great to have the confidence of a win before the Southampton game, how's everyone feeling about it?

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

jasonb wrote: »
    10 pages since last night, did we even have that many when Súarez bit someone? :)

Great to have the confidence of a win before the Southampton game, how's every feeling about it?

J.

I think we can go there and win. Realistically we need the win. Nothing else will be enough at this stage. A draw wouldn't be a disaster but these are the games that will get us top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mario going on like a pure boss in that vid :pac: big outrageous moustache on him and all. I just can't hate the guy.

I STILL think it could be beautiful with Mario. You need a billy big bollocks player. It probably won't happen but if you got the destruction of Germany 2012 or 'why always me' Balo even 70% of the time you'd have a money player on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Being totally honest the only player who looks like a captain in that video is Can.

He celebrities with Mario and calls others players over to join in.

Someone who used to post here tweeted that Can was the only one to come off well in the incident.

1. Celebrates with Balo
    2. Goes to Hendo to say it was the right thing to do.
    3. Gives Sturridge a bollocking for not celebrating.
    This is the last thing I'm going to type about penogate.
    ]

nIyT189.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

"What a pair of muppets"

IFpHckn.jpg

Bang, 1-0.

nUsKnhT.jpg

Rodgers talking a lot of sense

PenaltyPool

"If Jordan, Steven and Mario are on the pitch at the same time, we'd normally have Steven or Mario as the penalty taker. It just varies and really is with the player who is responsible for the penalty.

"Jordan Henderson showed last night what a team player he is. He respected Mario's position and that he is an outstanding penalty taker, and he was happy to give him the penalty to take it. Mario had the composure and calmness to finish it.

"We got the penalty and won the game."

Rodgers added: "We've got a whole raft of penalty takers here that are outstanding. Rickie Lambert has hardly missed a penalty in his entire career, so if he is on the pitch then there is another penalty taker.

"If you're the vice-captain and the captain is on the bench, but he comes on, it is the etiquette to go and then give him the armband. It's a similar thing with a penalty - if Steven is on the field, there is no drama as he takes the penalty. He is the first-choice penalty taker.

"After that, if Mario is on the field, he takes the penalty. His history shows he's scored nearly 30 penalties in big games, so he is an outstanding penalty taker. At the time when neither of them were on, Jordan was the nominated taker.

"Then Mario was on the field, [it was a] pressure situation, [and] Jordan was happy enough to take it, but he gave it to Mario, who gets his goal and there is no drama."
    "You have to go steady with Jordan - I think everyone is trying to catapult him into [being] the next Steven Gerrard, and he's not that," he said. "I've said it many times, he's not that type of player.

"Jordan is a real honest boy who is a hard-working player. A great team player who is tireless in his running, his ability and gives his all for the team. Steven is a totally different player.

"He is still young and, as I said, it is not automatic that he's going to be the next captain. At this moment in time, when Steven doesn't play, he is the vice-captain and he is working that role very well.

"It's a very, very important role because of the responsibilities you have at this club, particularly off the field as well. It's a huge role, but Jordan has fitted into it this season very, very well and he's got a great role model in Steven."

]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Someone who used to post here tweeted that Can was the only one to come off well in the incident.

1. Celebrates with Balo
    2. Goes to Hendo to say it was the right thing to do.
    3. Gives Sturridge a bollocking for not celebrating.

Fcuk it....Can should take all the penalties as well from now on....and corners and throw ins

• Advertisement

He is still young and, as I said, it is not automatic that he's going to be the next captain.

Seems like a fairly significant comment to make?

Interesting Rodgers saying Henderson being vice captain means he wont automatically be next captain. Would be a harsh blow for him, but if Lucas is still here next season it'll have to be him for captain.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Fcuk it....Can should take all the penalties as well from now on....and corners and throw ins

Free kicks and kick outs too!

Interesting Rodgers saying Henderson being vice captain means he wont automatically be next captain. Would be a harsh blow for him, but if Lucas is still here next season it'll have to be him for captain.

Lucas?....then again who does that leave i suppose..

NukaCola wrote: »
    Free kicks and kick outs too!

And in goal for penos.

I still think Hendo is next Captain. Unless there is some kind on astronomical signing in the summer

Lucas?....then again who does that leave i suppose..

Yeah as i've said a few pages back i think he has really grown into a leader, very vocal on the pitch and leads by example. The only thing is his injury record and if Rodgers has him in his long term plans. The only one after that is Skrtle who i wouldnt fancy as captain. Gonna have to get some big characters in the summer i think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Seems like a fairly significant comment to make?

Why does he need to say that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

From my memory the full length of it looked even worse. Once the peno was awarded there was a lot of arguing and posturing by both players and looking towards the bench it before that clip begins. Henderson stepped up to the plate and got pushed off. For a captain to do that can have a pretty huge impact on his standing in the group. I think that's why Sturridge was so eager to push him.

I think sturridge came across very poorly in the video, very selfish actions. I think Henderson came across the best , was obviously disappointed but got on with it and cared more about winning than whining over it , still the best choice captain to me, it's not his job to try control Balo.

Balo comes across as an absolute maniac :P so lovable but glad he isn't an arsenal player though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Henderson is the natural next captain for me, last night I thought he wasn't strong enough but in general he's a good leader on the pitch.

Can we draw a line under penogate now, Rodgers spoke a lot of sense and took the air out of the whole situation.

dfx- wrote: »
    Why does he need to say that...

Are you saying it should be well known that just because he's vice captain he wont automatically be captain when Gerrard leaves?

I suppose it makes sense but for some reason I kind of expected Henderson to be the next captain when he was made vice captain. There are no other candidates in our squad bar maybe Lucas if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Are you saying it should be well known that just because he's vice captain he wont automatically be captain when Gerrard leaves?

I suppose it makes sense but for some reason I kind of expected Henderson to be the next captain when he was made vice captain. There are no other candidates in our squad bar maybe Lucas if I'm being honest.

Didn't Rodgers say the same thing when he appointed Henderson as Vice-Captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

not sure if it was posted or not but joey barton is spot on about the whole incident. in my opinion anyway.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/joey-barton-weighs-in-on-henderson-v-balotelli-and-jamie-carragher-isnt-happy/485752

MarkY91 wrote: »
    not sure if it was posted or not but joey barton is spot on about the whole incident. in my opinion anyway.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/joey-barton-weighs-in-on-henderson-v-balotelli-and-jamie-carragher-isnt-happy/485752

Its just one long rant on Henderson. **** Joey Barton tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MarkY91 wrote: »

Then decided to pick a fight with Carragher and lost :)

• Advertisement

Joey "I coulda been a contender" Barton. Bore off mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think sturridge came across very poorly in the video, very selfish actions. I think Henderson came across the best , was obviously disappointed but got on with it and cared more about winning than whining over it , still the best choice captain to me, it's not his job to try control Balo.

Balo comes across as an absolute maniac :P so lovable but glad he isn't an arsenal player though

Would you swap him for wellbeck. I don't think I would myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

niallo27 wrote: »

I'm happy with what welbeck offers for the money spent on him.
    Balotelli is more talented but you don't know what balotelli is going to show up. You do know that welbeck is going to run his balls off. However his finishing leaves something to be desired.
    Overall I'd stick with welbeck over balotelli.

However there's still the potential for balotelli to deliver. So come back to me if he starts banging in goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers said: "There's probably been a lot more of a drama made out of it than what it actually was.

"We scored the penalty and it's very clear who our penalty takers are in the team. Obviously when Steven plays, he's normally our No.1 penalty taker.

"With the players that were initially on the pitch last night, Jordan was our nominated penalty taker.

"If Jordan, Steven and Mario are on the pitch at the same time, we'd normally have Steven or Mario as the penalty taker. It just varies and really is with the player who is responsible for the penalty.

"Jordan Henderson showed last night what a team player he is. He respected Mario's position and that he is an outstanding penalty taker, and he was happy to give him the penalty to take it. Mario had the composure and calmness to finish it.

"We got the penalty and won the game.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/180470-rodgers-there-s-no-issue-with-penalties

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm more thinking that it was a perfect chance to extinguish it all by blaming himself for the penalty confusion (like Toure's pass at West Brom) and not talk himself into picking apart Henderson's chances of being captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Welbeck +£1 should get it done:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The problem with Henderson is that he's not a natural leader. It's almost like someone gave him a book on "Being a Captain for dummies" and he's read and is trying to implement all the ideas in it without actually understanding them.

You're right, he ain't no natural captain, he's a natural cheerleader.

2b6Yo7e.gif

Also, he's captaining from the knees too much.

Henderson skipping running joke - check
    Henderson from the knees running joke - check

brevity wrote: »
    Thats why, at LFC, we're backing crazy.

I'm glad somebody got the AIB reference.

However, I'm worried about us brevity, you got that almost undetectable reference and we both posted that Sakho reference at the same time.

Are you me? Or are we both similar fractured mirror personalities of rarnes1?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm glad somebody got the AIB reference.

However, I'm worried about us brevity, you got that almost undetectable reference and we both posted that Sakho reference at the same time.

Are you me? Or are we both similar fractured mirror personalities of rarnes1?

I don't know OwaynOTT, but I might have an idea...

...do you recognise this box?

PRIMERR.jpg

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I STILL think it could be beautiful with Mario. You need a billy big bollocks player. It probably won't happen but if you got the destruction of Germany 2012 or 'why always me' Balo even 70% of the time you'd have a money player on your hands.

He has that craziness about him that a lot of great players have, he just needs to let it out more.
    Single mindedness, that tells him I'm going to score this penalty not I think I'll score.
    If he had to take a penalty to save the world if some convoluted scenario that will never happen, he'd score it 'cause as you said he's a 'billy big bollocks player'.
    Looks up for it lately though.

What do people think we shoudl do with Mario, if he goes on a bit of a run between now and the end of the season, maybe scoring 10 goals in total for the season, worth keeping?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I agree 100% :D

Mario mentioned himself or the lone striker role isn't for him. We saw him struggle when the team as a unit was underperforming. He was decent with Sturridge against Spurs early in the season and ignoring not scoring ( :pac: ) he was decent with Sterling against Utd.

In the current Liverpool team (a team that's in form and performing to ability & expectation more often than not while also not being completely there imo), with Sturridge and Sterling fit and in form I think he could be a major contributor.

The current starting 11 and the bench is better in many ways than the Liverpool team of last year (apart from Suarez obviously) and soccer is a team sport, this team/squad is tottering on the brink of going on to finish in the top4, to achieve that Southampton should and can be beaten on Sunday.

Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana or Coutinho starting with Mario coming on with 30/40 mins left might well be the way to go, I'm not convinced starting Mario is the best option yet but it's close to 50/50 now from the outside looking in. Currently he's a great option to have on the bench and he seems quite happy, putting in a great effort when he comes on and the opposition aren't getting negative reactions despite fishing for them and focussing on him.

Glass is gone from 3/4 full to close to overflowing chaps :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He has that craziness about him that a lot of great players have, he just needs to let it out more.
    Single mindedness, that tells him I'm going to score this penalty not I think I'll score.
    If he had to take a penalty to save the world if some convoluted scenario that will never happen, he'd score it 'cause as you said he's a 'billy big bollocks player'.

What do people think we shoudl do with Mario, if he goes on a bit of a run between now and the end of the season, maybe scoring 10 goals in total for the season, worth keeping?

No harm in keeping him but must sign another forward as well.

While Balotelli has done well lately, you cannot rely on him if Sturridge is out for a few months.

I'd be happy to keep him if he scored 5 from now to end of season, if he puts in performances like the last two effort wise I think he's an asset to the squad. 10 goals in 13 PL games and whatever we end up playing in the cups would be a goal every 2 games, tall order for a chap who is currently making sub appearances.

I'm not sure where all the bad for the dressing room stuff if coming from, if that was the case I'm sure Rodgers would have him training with the reserves for a while.

brevity wrote: »
    I don't know OwaynOTT, but I might have an idea...

...do you recognise this box?

PRIMERR.jpg

Primer, never seen it though, or have I?

Primer, never say it though, or have I?

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd much rather welbeck, has scored over twice as muc a Balo and doesn't cause any unrest in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Do you think he'd save the world and then not celebrate? :D

Kirby wrote: »

Does the postman celebrate when he saves the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Kirby wrote: »

Well he's probably thinking "Why Always Me?!" ..first he scores the winner against Spurs and now this!
    Balls to wall nut-job but he gets the job done.

Something is brewing here. We have Rodgers morphing into a smug Hannibal, moulding his cast of motley renegades together. We only lacked a dominant midfielder to get on the ball last night, gotta sort that sh1t out

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

You're right, he ain't no natural captain, he's a natural cheerleader.

2b6Yo7e.gif

Also, he's captaining from the knees too much.

Henderson skipping running joke - check
    Henderson from the knees running joke - check

I love that gif. The keeper ends up on his head

I look forward to the day he plays with another club tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I look forward to the day he plays with another club tbh.

Henderson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Which one of you posted this, own up :P

2n8vvvt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If he scores 10 goals between now and the end of the season, i'll* strip naked outside the GPO....

*well, not me, but i know someone who will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If he scores 10 goals between now and the end of the season, i'll* strip naked outside the GPO....

*well, not me, but i know someone who will

I told you already I'm not doing it and sending you the pictures. Stop trying to force me you sick bastard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement