Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

My wife, half asleep, watches the game for 30 seconds, and says 'is Stevie there? we seem to be playing a lot faster than usual.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Gerrard to stay on the bench against Leicester please.

It's the perfect timing for Rodgers to bench Gerrard two games in a row, Gerrard can be a Lampard type for us now, can't afford to have him in the starting 11 at the expense of Coutinho, Henderson or Lallana.

Not quite sure Rodgers will keep him on the bench two games running though. I feel it's 100% justified and we cannot underestimate Leicester either as we are still fragile at the back primarily due to the keeper situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henderson is a CM and that is where he should play from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Terrible punch by Sterling, my 6 week old kitten has more force in his paw.

So nice to see us making one of the tidier defensive units in the league look like a bit of a shambles at times in that second half.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Don't forget though - Gerrard had a great game against Arsenal so he can still contribute. But they did play well without him too.

Only way to accomodate him is to put Henderson on the bench or rwb :) Or drop Coutinho, Sterling or Lallana.
    No way should Gerrard be seen at DM again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It should have been a red card alright, but would Sterling really be retrospectivally banned for a bitch slap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Next game will set the tone with regards to Gerrard, if he starts the next game then he'll start every week until the end of the season.
    I still think he brings something to the team but he needs to be used as an inpact sub playing in the hole for the last 20/30 mins of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 defeat in the last 10 games now. Pity we put ourselves in such a hole the first few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Sahko and Emre Can defending on the front foot was good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lallana & Henderson have to stay central. Can has to stay in the side.

I'm still not a fan of Sakho.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Mr Alan wrote: »

Mr ALAN only posts when we lose;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Granted he made one mistake tonight but since he's came back into the side he's been superb IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great display tonight.

Can't fault anyone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We looked great tonight, like a Brendan Rodgers team. Unfortunately it looks like we're a better team without Gerard!
    Look how better our midfield looked tonight with a pair of legs in Henderson in there. Lucas-Gerrard will never work and gets progressively worse, no mobility in there whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

monkey9 wrote: »
    It should have been a red card alright, but would Sterling really be retrospectivally banned for a bitch slap?

Probably should have been sent off. Two bad decisions from the officials tonight

Never understood why Lallana wasn't getting a proper run in the team. He has clearly been the best of our summer signings and looks like a Liverpool. Hendo should always be in centre mid.

Sakho's a weird one. I hope he gets a run of games and I do think he's a decent centre back who will get better, but I keep expecting him to mess up everytime he gets the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Augeo wrote: »
    Only way to accomodate him is to put Henderson on the bench or rwb :) Or drop Coutinho, Sterling or Lallana.
    No way should Gerrard be seen at DM again.

True.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Probably should have been sent off. Two bad decisions from the officials tonight

I really wonder if the ref decided not to send Sterling off because he was evening up the Shelvey mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Skrtel aside, we've got to stick with that same 11 for the next game.

He picked up a yellow tonight which means he's banned for 1 game iirc. The amnesty on yellow cards kicks in at midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

monkey9 wrote: »
    I really wonder if the ref decided not to send Sterling off because he was evening up the Shelvey mistake.

Did he see it properly? If he did and didn't act then The FA can't retrospectively ban him right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

klose wrote: »
    Very impressive tonight, toure in for skrtel for leicester for me. Leaving gerrard out again will make me happy, much more balanced without him tonight.

Surely toure is too slow to play in the centre of a back three and Caen might be a bit inexperienced but would rather either of them to loveran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just looking at the best goals.

We should really have 30 points, only for that fecker Phil Jagielka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Can needs to stay in that team.

Sakho just after the kick off at 2-1.....WTF???

Nice to Henderson with the skipping rope back for the 4th goal :)

Thats the team to play going forward and when we get a striker either Sturridge back or a new one.. Then Manquillo to make way for him and Sterling to play RWB in his place.

Surely toure is too slow to play in the centre of a back three .........

I think he'll be fine with Lucas anchored in DM, although he didn't impress against Burnley admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Carragher cracking up at the host of Monday Night football.

"Reports that Coloccini is the favourite to replace Pardew....."
    "Coloccini? The player?!? " and he bursts out laughing.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Thats the team to play going forward and when we get a striker either Sturridge back or a new one.. Then Manquillo to make way for him and Sterling to play RWB in his place.

Jaysis don't know about that especially with the progression hes made as a striker. But will be great to have proper options in attack when Sturridge returns

I don't think Rodgers will be playing Sterling at RWB going forward, rightly so imo
    Would be waste of Sterling pre finishing school

When (please please) Sturridge is back I feel himselft and Sterling may be sharing games

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Jaysis don't know about that especially with the progression hes made as a striker. But will be great to have proper options in attack when Sturridge returns
    I don't think Rodgers will be playing Sterling at RWB going forward, rightly so imo
    Would be waste of Sterling pre finishing school

He has played RB for the underage teams and knows the role.

So when we have a fit striker someone is going to make way and Manquillo makes the most sense as the player to replace.

• Advertisement

He has played RB for the underage teams and knows the role..........

He's gone beyond that now imo :)

So chance the formation again when a striker comes in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We really need that Suarez level player to get us back up to the 3.5ppg we were at last season.

And that 60 goal swing

Downing learned us that one is never too far beyond to play rb or lb.

Not at all, last year saw effectively a front 3 interchanging, Suarez, Sturridge & Sterling. This year we are seeing Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana to an extent.

When Sturridge is back he won't be playing 90 mins from the off, it'll be mid to late Feb before we (hopefully) have a fully match fit Sturridge, I expect Sterling to get some bench time too. And Coutinho isn't a play every game well type so he'll be seeing some bench too I expect.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »

Downing learned us that one is never too far beyond to play rb or lb.

Downing is rubbish and offered nothing in any other position at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Let Lallana,Sterling & Coutinho fight for the two spots behind Sturridge. Rotation will help Sterling anyway imo. Manquillo did well tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

hadepsx wrote: »
    i nominate charlie19 to start all match threads from now on :)

You've gone and jinxed it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Not at all, last year saw effectively a front 3 interchanging, Suarez, Sturridge & Sterling. This year we are seeing Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana to an extent.

When Sturridge is back he won't be playing 90 mins from the off, it'll be mid to late Feb before we (hopefully) have a fully match fit Sturridge, I expect Sterling to get some bench time too.

Downing is rubbish and offered nothing in any other position at the time

But it shows that when Enrique was playing left wing, that Rodgers plays loosey goosey with positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Today was really a big risk for Brendan...lots of changes and it payed off. Hopefully he will take that chance more often. It is the only way he will find out who his best team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lallana was absolutely superb tonight.

He, Coutinho and Sterling together is gold at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Coutinho, what a gem of a player.

Now if only we could get him to shoot properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

One of the best overall team performances ive seen in a while.

Henderson and Lallana were outstanding.

Its great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Amazing.

Rodgers more or less nailed it tonight.

Sakho playing - tick.
    Henderson in CM - finally - tick.
    No Gerrard (sorry) - tick.
    Can - (albeit in a position I wouldn't've started him in*) - tick.
    Sterling in false 9 (been calling for it since October, and while we've done it and it failed, it allows us to not play Balotelli and add a supplementary player elsewhere on the pitch, which is better than playing Balo or Borini in 9 I genuinely feel) - tick.

All told, a practically ideal starting 11. With the novelty of Can playing in Central Defence where * he has of course played often for Germany U21. In fact, I think he was briefly playing there when he acquired his injury towards beginning of the season, though am open to correction there. He's a whopper of a player, have said it all season, and feel him and Sakho represented our two most underrated propositions.

4-1 speaks for itself. This team should not change. Skrtel banned so toure in.

5live wrote: »
    Coutinho, what a gem of a player.

Now if only we could get him to shoot properly...

He has been our best player over the last 4/5 games for me just running at teams.

Getting so many games in a row is building up his stamina as well whcih can only be a good thing.

I really don't care about his shooting to be honest its about getting a striker who will be able to read his passes.

Sturridge and Coutinho had a great partnership at the start of last season if that can be repeated and both stay fit it will be a rollercoaster of a second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He has been our best player over the last 4/5 games for me just running at teams.

Getting so many games in a row is building up his stamina as well whcih can only be a good thing.

I really don't care about his shooting to be honest its about getting a striker who will be able to read his passes.

Sturridge and Coutinho had a great partnership at the start of last season if that can be repeated and both stay fit it will be a rollercoaster of a second half of the season.

Was saying it earlier tonight and then Coutinho smacked a beauty straight at the keeper: our finishing is letting us down so badly. If we could get somebody new in to coach this, that'd be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Sakho was good, he hit one dodgy pass at 2-1 but other than that he played well and he fizzes the passes into the feet of our midfielders, it helped in the build up to the first goal! And what about the few naughty little flicks and tricks he pulled off :) I was loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think Sterling was great tonight but it makes a huge difference to Coutinho and Lallana to have a mobile player with a bit of pace up front who makes runs. Suddenly they are playing little through balls and one twos that they couldn't do with Lambert/Ballotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Halfway house stats.

Position
    games
    Win
    Draw
    Lose
    Clean sheets
    Failed to score
    Goals for
    Goals against
    Goal difference
    +1
    Points per game

I'd imagine 65-70 points would be 4th place territory the ways things are going. That's about 2.10 PPG over the next 19 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Ardent

Great performance tonight - Coutinho and Lallana in particular were outstanding. Comical defending again for Swansea's goal.

We have to sign a keeper ASAP - Mignolet's kicking is terrifyingly bad. You could feel the anxiety in the stadium tonight whenever the ball came back to him!

Don't think Sterling was great tonight but it makes a huge difference to Coutinho and Lallana to have a mobile player with a bit of pace up front who makes runs. Suddenly they are playing little through balls and one twos that they couldn't do with Lambert/Ballotelli.

Completely agree with this. Ideally a mobile 9 is what we'd have but, unfortunately Balo and lambert aren't this and take one of our ten outfield slots, therefore: no.

Sterling is the best we have right now for this gig. Has been overwhelmingly obvious to me since First Basel game in champions league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement