Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Sky Italy reporters now saying we've put in a bid of €14m for Shaqiri

Did they not say that already yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be a strange one. Obviously a talented player but not exactly a priority given we already have Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana and Markovic.

I'd be delighted with it, Lallana, Sterling & Coutinho aren't going to play every game and Shaqiri is probably a better finisher than all three.
    He fits into the front 3 model that was used last year when SSS were all fit and available and that we are using now.

€14m is smallish money to be fair.

Still plenty of room in the squad for the like of Marković even if we get Shaqiri.

When Sturridge is back there might well be an element of ensuring he isn't ran into the ground and the same needs to be done with Sterling.

Shaqiri + striker + goalkeeper this window I'd be chuffed.

Hopefully then nail down a proper CM in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He was always my second hope after missing out on Sanchez, didn't think anything would happen once we went in for Markovic though. While he's not necessarily a needed signing he would be a welcome one, really direct runner who can hit a ball, he can also play centrally if needed. If he did sign I could see the 343 going out the window in favour of a 4231 in order to accommodate 3 attacking midfielders in the side.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'd say if Shaqiri is acquired there'll be no striker even if Borini goes, Shaqiri be used in front 3. He'd be suited to it too I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Shaqiri can be got for as little as €14m you get him even if you are loaded with players in the same position.

If he lives up to the promise he has shown.. you have a player on your hands.

If he doesn't live up to that promise here you will make your money back on him if not more selling him back to a club in Europe.

He isn't a Balotelli last chance gamble.

Shaqiri at €14m is a true "Moneyball" player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Shaqiri is an absolute waste of money given the current state of our squad. Signing loads of wingers and attacking midfielders with potential doesn't do the team any good. Striker, defensive midfielder, goalkeeper and a quality centre half. That's what we need, not another feckin winger.
    Unless it's Ronaldo or Bale :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

rarnes1 wrote: »

Who said optimism is dead. :P

Shaqiri will prob choose Juventus over us anyway. It all seems a bit too good to be true

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Shaqiri .......... not another feckin winger.

Is Shaqiri a winger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Augeo wrote: »
    Is Shaqiri a winger?

Yes? Although i think he plays off the striker for switzerland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Augeo wrote: »
    Is Shaqiri a winger?

He is. I find it mind boggling how many people in here only know him as a creative midfielder, he's only played that position a few times, mainly in the World Cup, and never for Bayern. He's not bad at either position, just not what we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Shaqiri would be a good addition for a relative good fee.

Getting a GK is priority first and foremost anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think we missed the boat in spending big on one or two players lads. We could have done it with the Suarez money but rightly or wrongly, that money is spent.

The reality is that FFP is going to limit us. Maybe the club could go all in on one class player without signing other filler next summer but imagine the reaction if it goes wrong?

The terms "eggs in one basket" and "reckless gambling" comes to mind.

The owners and manager are in a poxy situation basically, of their own doing you could argue. But regardless of what strategy they go with they're going to be strung up either way if it goes wrong.
    I would expect a cull of the squad in the summer.

Gerrard, Toure, Johnson, Flanagan and Suso have contracts which are due to expire in June.

That leaves Jones, Lucas and Skrtel as the only first team players on contracts that pre-date FSG's ownership of the club.

The contracts of Assaidi, Coates, Skrtel and Jones expire in June 2016 so the summer transfer window is the time to cash in on them. We also know that the club have listened to offers for Lucas.

Disposing of Alberto, Aspas, Borini, and Balotelli would also be financially beneficial if they have no future at the club.

6 players should be adequate replacements for those 14 players.

Jones -> Goalkeeper
    Johnson/Flanagan -> Right Fullback
    Toure/Skrtel/Coates -> Commanding Centre Back
    Lucas -> Defensive Midfielder
    Gerrard -> Mobile Midfielder
    Borini/Balotelli -> Proven Goal Scorer

Some first team recruits need to be leaders, that's what we are short of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Would not want to sell Skrtel, Lucas or Flanagan.

Di Marzio has an update on Shaqiri.
    Shaqiri has been in the transfer news headlines in recent week. The winger has struggled to find playing time under Guardiola, and has numerous suitors including two in Italy as well as Liverpool. Juventus just met with Shaqiri's agent, they have reached an agreement with him, but they have yet to convince Bayern since they will only do a loan with option to buy. Inter is further ahead than the bianconeri with the German club since they are willing to accept a forced option to buy. Inter's sporting director Ausilio will have another conversation with Shaqiri's brother/agent and the intermediaries in the deal, they are about 300,000 euro apart in the negotiation. Then there is Liverpool, who unlike the two Italian clubs are willing to purchase Shaqiri outright, they have offered Bayern Munich 14 million euro, but they have yet to talk to Shaqiri's entourage. More updates are expected at the beginning of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We dont need Shaqiri, we need a striker. Besides, Shaqiri is not as good as people think he is. Theres a reason he doesnt play regularly for Bayern, he's inconsistent for one. Happier with Lallana or sterling out widem

Part of the reason Shaqiri doesn't start regularly for Bayern is because they have seriously talented players ahead of him. If Lallana was at Bayern do you think he would start regularly??
    For me it's a pity he wasn't got in the summer instead of Markovic. I think Shaqiri would be a better long term option (just my personal hunch).
    Right now a goal scoring striker is more important than a wide forward like Shaqiri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Probably the right time for Gerrard to move on. He hasn't got going this year and is probably finding it hard to accept he is no longer one of the top dogs. Some great memories and hopefully he can finish off with a trophy. He obviously wants to play week in week out and id admire him for that.

Agree with this.

Heard a good line from Alan Brogan a while back saying that he's not sure he has the 'mental energy' to give it a go with the Dubs this year. I think that term is applicable to Gerrard as well. That Chelsea slip and the disappointment of knowing his last shot at the EPL was gone, zapped whatever mental energy he had left.

He was below par at the World Cup and this year with Liverpool has been the same. With his range of passing, coolness under pressure, finishing ability, etc. he should have another couple of years left in him. However, he looks like a guy who needs a new challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

How is Konoplyanko playing this year ?
    Mo Salah hasn't exactly set the world alight since he moved to Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Would not want to sell Skrtel, Lucas or Flanagan.
    You don't have to worry about selling Flanagan - unless he secretly signed an extension his contract only runs until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Di Marzio has an update on Shaqiri.

The Inter interest might lessen. They seem to be signing Podolski on loan (sky Italia sources understand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Not interested in Shaqiri, every time he pimps himself out looking for something our name always seems to pop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shaqiri is quite clinical though and in our setup would score a lot of goals imo. If the price is 14 million and he will come it would stupid not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Fook me. You'd swear Gerrard was retiring from the game with a leg about to fall off ( MLS is not retirment, don't crack those jokes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We don't have a single player worthy of singing a song about, once Gerrard leaves. Depressing.

Sturridge yeah, but no point really when he's always injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

BMMachine wrote: »
    Well, going to be harder to sign AAA class players now that they know they wont be playing with Gerrard :s

Update me on some we have signed recently with Steven about the place?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Knex. wrote: »
    We don't have a single player worthy of singing a song about, once Gerrard leaves. Depressing.

There haven't been any songs sung at Anfield in quite a while.

Your depression is amusing me :pac:

• Advertisement

Your depression is amusing me :pac:

You don't want us to sell Skrtel - I find that amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Jermain Defoe !!!!!!!!!

Fcking transfer twitter twatter has hit lads

mosstin wrote: »
    You don't want us to sell Skrtel - I find that amusing.

I will now begin to pen a song in his honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jermain Defoe !!!!!!!!!

Fcking transfer twitter twatter has hit lads

If we sign Defoe you won't be able to move in this place for all the toys I will throw from my pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm all against signing someone who bit a player playing for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

if you can get Shaqiri for 14-16 million buy him immediately.
    Selling borini will nearly cover the cost of that
    I think Rogers preferred formation will entail having 4 interchangeable intelligent attackers lead by an out an out finished.
    These players are require to press the oppositions defense and midfield to implement a high pressing game which wore be very demanding on players over the course of the season. See sterling tiring the last few games.

Sturridge/Origi
    Coutinho/Sterling/lallana/Markovic/Ibe/Shaqiri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Shaqiri is looking like a done deal at this point

Turtyturd wrote: »

New transfer strategy.

Can Iron Mike play ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

slingerz wrote: »

Based on what? Sky italia are full of ****. Has anyone reliable said anything about this? Smoke and mirrors IMO.

Wouldn't go that far. He might prefer to go to Italy even though those moves seems to be loans with an option to buy while Liverpool want to buy him outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

For your own sanity do not think like that. We are the masters at blowing deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

When was his last inspirational moment though?

Dont underestimate the effect a player like Gerrard has on the club, day in day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yep, no bit part players.

Defoe would be a stupid signing. Does the club ever fcuking learn? Just another Lambert calibre of signing like last summer. Unless were going to upgrade on what we've got or at least sign a similar player in ability to Sturridge then whats the point in signing average has beens who will not compensate for the class of Sturridge should he get injured.

If we lose a couple of players to injury we will be back to square one only this time Defoe would be the scapegoat rather than Lambert. Ludicrous signing if you ask me. Id rather the club just promote someone from the academy and give someone like Yesil a chance or wait till the summer than this sh!t again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

T-K-O wrote: »
    Dont underestimate the effect a player like Gerrard has on the club, day in day out

But you similarly can't overestimate it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Cool. What are they singing?

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Defoe would be a stupid signing. Does the club ever fcuking learn? Just another Lambert calibre of signing like last summer. Unless were going to upgrade on what we've got or at least sign a similar player in ability to Sturridge then whats the point in signing average has beens who will not compensate for the class of Sturridge should he get injured.

If we lose a couple of players to injury we will be back to square one only this time Defoe would be the scapegoat rather than Lambert. Ludicrous signing if you ask me. Id rather the club just promote someone from the academy and give someone like Yesil a chance or wait till the summer than this sh!t again

It's a ****ing RUMOUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here is the article so read it before getting your knockers in a twister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11322687/Jermain-Defoe-offered-to-Liverpool-in-January-transfer-window.html
    Jermain Defoe offered to Liverpool in January transfer window - Matt Law, Telegraph

Toronto FC and former England striker is interested in a move to Anfield on loan until the end of the season, but his club are still insisting on a permanent deal

Liverpool have been offered the chance to sign Jermain Defoe as a stop-gap solution to their striker problems Defoe is desperate to return to the Premier League in this month’s transfer window, with Queens Park Rangers and Hull City interested in signing him.

The Telegraph can reveal, however, that Liverpool have also been sounded out over the possibility of bringing 32-year-old Defoe back to England from MLS club Toronto FC.

The main stumbling block over any potential move for Defoe is that Toronto are insisting they do not want to loan him and instead want a £6 million sale.

Defoe, though, hopes Toronto are forced to relent on their refusal to let him join a Premier League club on loan until the end of the season and is aware that his name has been put to Liverpool.

Liverpool are unlikely to be interested in any long-term transfer, but a temporary deal may be tempting for manager Brendan Rodgers.

Daniel Sturridge is due to return from injury this month, but Liverpool will need to be careful with the 25-year-old who has not played for the club since the end of August.

/

Loftus Road remains the most likely destination for Defoe, but that will change if Liverpool show they are willing to take him.

So basically Defoe is being hawked around rather than Liverpool inquiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whats that to the tune of?

Forgot how painful transfer window time is.

If it's not on LFC official page or perhaps bbc take no notice. For your sanity!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement