Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Dayum wrote: »
    I can see Liverpool being relegated in the next couple of years and spend some time in the wilderness ala Leeds...

It's quite clear FSG don't give a flying **** about the club.

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I can see Liverpool being relegated in the next couple of years and spend some time in the wilderness ala Leeds...

It's quite clear FSG don't give a flying **** about the club.

stone-cold-laughing.gif

The window is open ain't it?

Wheres the Arda Turan story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Berahino rumours doing the rounds now aswell. £16 million being quoted. Waste of money if you ask me. Overpaying for another unproven over rated British player whos scoring record doesnt exactly inspire confidence. For that price we could surely tempt Lyon with Lacazette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The window is open ain't it?

Wheres the Arda Turan story?

It's sad Darren Bent went and joined Derby just to avoid the twice annual 'Liverpool sign Bent' story.

awaits some social poster to post the pic, just for the thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Berahino rumours doing the rounds now aswell. £16 million being quoted. Waste of money if you ask me. Overpaying for another unproven over rated British player whos scoring record doesnt exactly inspire confidence. For that price we could surely tempt Lyon with Lacazette

why an overrated French player like Lacazette?

Why not go for Jackson Martinez?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

You can relax because we won't bring in anyone unless it's Origi which I strongly suspect we will. And I know we already "own" him but he isn't at the club so until that's sorted he is a Lille player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Does anyone genuinely believe, hand on heart, that Liverpool Football Club, at this point in time, can potentially and realistically attract the kind of household superstar names and talent required to meet the expectations of the fans?

United are signing Falcao and Di Maria, Chelsea are signing Fabregas and Diego Costa, Arsenal are signing Sanchez and City have Aguero and Yaya Toure. At the same time Liverpool are looking in the bargain bin at the charity shop for Lambert and Borini. The same with managers. Mourinho and van Gaal, Pellegrini etc....but what names are mentioned in the same sentence with a Rodgers sacking? Monk. Talk about a stark contrast in vision and ambition.

It's night and day, guys.

I'm not here to piss all over the parade - I want to see Liverpool playing some great football but this whole model of pinpointing potential prospects and selling them on for a profit won't win the club trophies. It hasn't to this stage and never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

At the same time Liverpool are looking in the bargain bin at the charity shop for Lambert and Borini.

At the same time? Borini was signed in 2012! Long before most of those other players were signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Does anyone genuinely believe, hand on heart, that Liverpool Football Club, at this point in time, can potentially and realistically attract the kind of household superstar names and talent required to meet the expectations of the fans?

United are signing Falcao and Di Maria, Chelsea are signing Fabregas and Diego Costa, Arsenal are signing Sanchez and City have Aguero and Yaya Toure. At the same time Liverpool are looking in the bargain bin at the charity shop for Lambert and Borini. The same with managers. Mourinho and van Gaal, Pellegrini etc....but what names are mentioned in the same sentence with a Rodgers sacking? Monk. Talk about a stark contrast in vision and ambition.

It's night and day, guys.

I'm not here to piss all over the parade - I want to see Liverpool playing some great football but this whole model of pinpointing potential prospects and selling them on for a profit won't win the club trophies. It hasn't to this stage and never will.

ylRz8.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

ylRz8.gif

Fishing for thanks much???

I thanked this post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    They might go America all over our as$es and retire the number 8 shirt.

They should

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well, the era is over. Don't think we'll ever see his like again. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

They should

Its not really an option, did the club retire 7 for Dalglish, 9 for Rush, 10 for Barnes and the many legends before.

Nice sentiment and all but just not Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's sad Darren Bent went and joined Derby just to avoid the twice annual 'Liverpool sign Bent' story.

awaits some social poster to post the pic, just for the thanks.

Isn't that your job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its obviously a financial decision to let him go,we have complained plenty that his legs/head/heart had gone since last year and he was not up to it on a regular basis, could be the club offered reduced terms but stevie sees things differently ..i wouldnt be blaming the club at all... fresh legs and impetus is needed,not ageing ones resigned ...its football.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Isn't that your job?

2011971352a6bd54a1739fed541ae8ec783920c81ae0b40303a9415c235991ad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

its obviously a financial decision to let him go,we have complained plenty that his legs/head/heart had gone since last year and he was not up to it on a regular basis, could be the club offered reduced terms but stevie sees things differently ..i wouldnt be blaming the club at all... fresh legs and impetus is needed,not ageing ones resigned ...its football.

We simply dont know.

If its a games thing he cant play in every game. He'll be 35 in May. He has got plenty of games this season and has no right to be upset if that is a motivation for leaving.

If its money then its a bit precious to be upset if the club offers him reduced wages due to reduced playing time and age. It would be sad to see him go over something as trivial as money but I reckon he'll probably make double what we offered in the States. One last pay day in the sun.

Sad to see him go. Ideally he would be offered a player/coaching role but again, we dont know what he was offered so its hard to debate why he's leaving when we can only speculate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

great_day_to_go_fishing_they_said_540.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sad to see him go. Ideally he would be offered a player/coaching role but again, we dont know what he was offered so its hard to debate why he's leaving when we can only speculate.

No the best thing is for him to leave, a clean break. Let the club function without him for a few years (cleanse itself so to speak) and then invite him back with a fresh re-balanced relationship.

I thanked this post ;)

Be careful man, it's a slippery slope. One day you're fishing for thanks and before you know it you're literally beating people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Isn't that your job?

He isn't looking for thanks,he's just a funny fella that like making people laugh.

Don't worry tho...you make everyone laugh too even if its for entirely different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    I doubt he was offered a coaching role. Carragher said that he had been spoken to about a coaching role before announcing his retirement but was never offered such a role.

If you were being cynical you might say that Rodgers doesn't want anybody on his staff who could undermine his standing at the club.

Talisman wrote: »
    I doubt he was offered a coaching role. Carragher said that he had been spoken to about a coaching role before announcing his retirement but was never offered such a role.

If you were being cynical you might say that Rodgers doesn't want anybody on his staff who could undermine his standing at the club.

Also the fact that a lot of players don't offer as much in a coaching role as fans would like to think. You can't teach the blood and guts, heart on sleeve approach that both Gerrard and Carragher typified during their primes, and the main criticisms of them would be their lack of tactical/positional nous which wouldn't help with coaching.....although they would surely be better than Colin 'Beadles About' Pascoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He isn't looking for thanks,he's just a funny fella that like making people laugh.

Don't worry tho...you make everyone laugh too even if its for entirely different reasons.

Strongly disagree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Carragher certainly knew where he/ other players should be on a football pitch and he let everyone know. He was an organizer and that's just one reason he was missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Strongly disagree!

I strongly agree !!!!!!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Carragher certainly knew where he/ other players should be on a football pitch and he let everyone know. He was an organizer and that's just one reason he was missed.

I think Carragher suffers a bit from the 'Scholes Effect'...those few months out of the team really inflated his reputation. He was an organiser, but for me his greatest quality was ensuring anyone but him got blamed for a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I miss Sami most of all. Would love to see him in as coach one day.

• Advertisement

Also the fact that a lot of players don't offer as much in a coaching role as fans would like to think. You can't teach the blood and guts, heart on sleeve approach that both Gerrard and Carragher typified during their primes, and the main criticisms of them would be their lack of tactical/positional nous which wouldn't help with coaching.....although they would surely be better than Colin 'Beadles About' Pascoe.
    Que? Carragher certainly has tactical nous. Benitez advised him to get his coaching badges early and Carragher was coaching under age players at the club six years ago. He has been identifying issues with Liverpool for quite some time.

Man City:

Man Utd:

Everton:

Zonal vs Man Marking:

Balotelli and Lambert:

Gerrard:

Be careful man, it's a slippery slope. One day you're fishing for thanks and before you know it you're literally beating people off.

The annoying thing about it is that Murphy thanked my reply post and then removed it. How am i supposed to get my thanks quota up when people do that? He should be banned the fecking tease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Any chance you ladies can take it to pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is planning a £2m bid for Sheffield Wednesday and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiran Westwood - but Westwood will snub the approach and stay at Hillsborough. [\quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some people have played too much Football Manager for their own good. Don't worry, I never retain players past 34 either and if they refuse a one year extension at 33 I let them go. Unfortunately though this is the real world where you are trying to get groups of men to pull together and achieve a difficult common goal. In the real world you need leadership / experience / inspiration. The whole money ball / onsale value approach is seductive as it allows people to believe they get it and are seeing through the looking glass.

What do Chelsea / Utd / City have in common over the past decade? They've retained experienced players and / or club icons in and around their squad. They also win the things we want to win. I read your bollocks post yesterday about 'letting young hungry players with potential' lead us forward. It's nonsense. At the end of this season we'll be too young and too green on the pitch AND in the dugout.

Start keeping or acquiring experience or lose, that's the reality.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is planning a £2m bid for Sheffield Wednesday and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiran Westwood - but Westwood will snub the approach and stay at Hillsborough.
    He's a player that isn't interested in just picking up a pay packet. He turned down a move to Man City in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

tbh, the finacial argument doesn't make that much sense. Surely Gerrard's jersey sales even at this stage of his career are huge. His iconic standing worldwide as a Liverpool brand I would have thought was still a massive commercial revenue stream for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some people have played too much Football Manager for their own good. Don't worry, I never retain players past 34 either and if they refuse a one year extension at 33 I let them go. Unfortunately though this is the real world where you are trying to get groups of men to pull together and achieve a difficult common goal. In the real world you need leadership / experience / inspiration. The whole money ball / onsale value approach is seductive as it allows people to believe they get it and are seeing through the looking glass.

What do Chelsea / Utd / City have in common over the past decade? They've retained experienced players and / or club icons in and around their squad. They also win the things we want to win. I read your bollocks post yesterday about 'letting young hungry players with potential' lead us forward. It's nonsense. At the end of this season we'll be too young and too green on the pitch AND in the dugout.

i lol'd, thanks ... i think a lot of your posts are as you put it "bollocks" .. but i wont stoop to your level of slander just because we disagree .. grow up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Talisman wrote: »
    He's a player that isn't interested in just picking up a pay packet. He turned down a move to Man City in the summer.

Is Richard wright still there?
    Wonder what money he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

tbh, the finacial argument doesn't make that much sense. Surely Gerrard's jersey sales even at this stage of his career are huge. His iconic standing worldwide as a Liverpool brand I would have thought was still a massive commercial revenue stream for the club.

Maybe just maybe the bloke feels like it's time to move on and play at a slower pace to help lengthen his career .
    Carrager left as a starter and I'm sure Stevie wants to do the same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gits_bone wrote: »

Richard Wright is the greatest goalkeeper in the history of the Premier League, and you have absolutely no way of proving that statement wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

How reliable is DiMarzio? Saying that Shaquiri is on his way to us after Juve pulled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FA CUP Loan Watch

Wisdom on bench for WBA
    Ibe starting on bench for Derby
    Teixeira starts for Brighton and Hove Albion.

and Lloyd Jones, Kevin Stewart and Jack Dunn all start for Cheltenham v Oxford Utd in League two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You know what else Chelsea, Utd and City have in common? Basically unlimited funds to spend on world class players. But sure, the reason we don't win anything is because we didn't hold onto our more experienced player?

Tbh you live in the past and its plainly obvious. You seem to expect Liverpool to continue on as they did in their heyday but the fact is we're not at that level as a club anymore. It sucks but it's the truth. Hanging onto Stevie wouldn't help us win the league. He's not going to get better than he was last year and we didn't win it then.

Its all just another make believe rod for you to beat Rodgers with.

To dismiss other peoples opinions as being "football manager" is about as cliche as it gets to be honest. Dortmund pushed on with a squad full of young talent and challenged the mighty Bayern Munich even winning the league. Its the philosophy we're going to have to follow due to our financial constraints. It'll make life a lot easier on you if you just accept that and support the club and the owners who are trying to run us as a sustainable entity.

joe123 wrote: »
    How reliable is DiMarzio? Saying that Shaquiri is on his way to us after Juve pulled out.

Probably one of the most reliable there is.

His latest break was Podolski to Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

J Mysterio wrote: »

Anytime I got to see him live I always paid attention. He did a huge amount of organising alright.

I remember half the Kop pissing ourselves one time when he started losing it at Crouch for standing in the wrong spot when a corner was about to come in. Crouch kept inching away so Carra grabbed his shirt, dragged him to where he wanted him and screamed while pointing at the ground "standing ****ing there".:)

People will often dismiss Carras last ditch tackles as being needed because he was caught out in the first place, but the reality is he was often covering others mistakes. Carra was a proper defender that knew where to be at the right time.

You can't say Carra has great defensive nous because he did bits on MNF.

There are lots of people here who, if they had the tools to do that, would perform the same analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

You can't say Carra has great defensive nous because he did bits on MNF.

There are lots of people here who, if they had the tools to do that, would perform the same analysis.

The counter argument is that if Carra has the tools then Rodgers and his team do too
    ...so why have the issues continued unadressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus, I didn't even realise he was still playing, Such a promising start to his career with Ipswich then settled firmly in to the Carlo Cudicini mould.

After playing 240 league games for Ipswich between 95 and 01 (and then 2 decent seasons back with them a few years ago) his stats are low.

2001–2002
    Arsenal 12 (0)

2002–2007
    Everton 60 (0)

2007–2008
    West Ham United 0 (0)

→ Southampton (loan) 7 (0)

2008–2010
    Ipswich Town 58 (0)

2010–2011
    Sheffield United 2 (0)

2011–2012
    Ipswich Town 1 (0)

Preston North End 0 (0)

2012–
    Manchester City 0 (0

He played as many games (2) for England than he did for 5 of his clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Dunn scored for Cheltenham - http://instagram.com/p/xZa3VVgVsC/

Other Liverpool loanee Stewart has made it 2-1

http://instagram.com/p/xZbjwigVtR/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement