Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

Now? As opposed to when Gerrard was 27.

Yes, now, that's what was asked, here and now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Rumours going around on twitter that Shaqiri has chosen Inter Milan over LFC.

We must be cursed or something when it comes to signing good players

QbFLUV0.png

Di Marzio works for these I think and very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ah Francie, which is it?

Weren't "we" ****ing burning his effigy when he was possibly going to go to Chelsea all those years back. Gerrard has taken worse, taken serious abuse, as most professional footballers have, from rival fans and sometimes those claiming to be Liverpool fans. I'd say that **** is water off a duck's back.

I'd say it's more of the club management not willing to stump up more cash.

Bizarre to blame the fans alright, I doubt if we could get rid of Victory Moses we'd be forcing Gerrard out.

I think it's a serious case of rose tinted glasses to say Gerrard be given 100k a week and accomodated in the team for the next year or 2. He has been a fantastic servant to the club but for the last year or two he has been a passenger more often than not, and since the manager doesn't seem to have the balls to lay out his role for him it's probably better that the decision has been taken out of his hands.

I have no doubt he wanted to stay, but it would have been in the same capacity as he is playing now, and we would be facing the same issues 2years from now. I think once all the sentimentality passes on it will be seen as the right decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

So, what is the story? Has someone said that the club are going to go after a marquee signing next summer to replace Gerrard? Our past track record doesn't inspire. Gonna take a serious chunk of cash and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It has been clear even since the Assaidi tranfer that Rodgers has only minimal control over transfers.
    There is evidence to suggest that is not the case:

Exclusive: Rodgers on Liverpool transfer committee and how he will always have final say on signings - James Pearce (May 28, 2014)
    “Obviously, I am involved heavily in the identification of the player,” Rodgers told the ECHO.

“The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call.

“That’s the call on whether he’s good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.

“There is a big part that goes on in between. In modern football you need to trust other people to do the work. That’s something we do here and that’s why we have had the success we’ve had.

“The finer details of that are left to Ian who does a terrific job and our other guys in that field who will go through the contracts. I am aware of where the situation is at right the way through the process.

“We will never bring in a player here who the manager doesn’t want in. That’s a great credit to the owners and the other people at the club.

“We work very closely together – it’s worth stressing that. It’s key that we are very much one club.

“We are really preparing for next season. I’ve had some very good meetings with our recruitment team. We are very much together as one.”

In November we heard how the signings weren't his players, transfer commitee, yadda, yadda, yadda. This grated me because it goes completely against what Rodgers said in the summer. Around the same time, Tony Barrett blogged on the subject. Why Liverpool must avoid the lure of January sales - Tony Barrett
    At some point, someone at the club has to call a halt to one of the most ill-advised sprees since pools winner Viv Nicholson famously vowed to “Spend, spend, spend” and order an audit of all of the signings that Liverpool have made since Brendan Rodgers. The review should begin with an appraisal of every recruit and their impact on the team but it should not stop there. Before Liverpool shell out another penny, their entire transfer strategy and its implementation by committee needs to be assessed because the risks of allowing the current situation are far too great.
    There are some other gems in there like:
    Rodgers himself freely admits, with the possible exception of Oussama Assiadi, not a single player has been signed against his wishes. He might have had to have his arm twisted on a few, Sturridge, Mario Balotelli and Mamadou Sakho being the most obvious examples, but, one way or another, they have all arrived with his blessing.

Inside Line: Liverpool's Transfer Committee Has Been a Spectacular Failure - Duncan Castles (December 15, 2014)
    Lots of detail in that report more than suggests somebody briefed Castles.
    Edwards' backing of a "moneyball" approach and Rodgers' limited knowledge of non-Premier League players has led to several standoffs.

Oussama Assaidi and Nuri Sahin were Edwards' men whom Rodgers assented to signing then hardly used in their preferred positions.

After seven league appearances in five months, Sahin's loan was terminated. The Turkey international ended the 2012-13 season playing a Champions League final for Borussia Dortmund.

Assaidi, recently identified by Raheem Sterling as his most skilful team-mate, per Sky Sports, was permitted a total of 83 minutes in the league before being loaned to Stoke City for the last two seasons.

In their first summer working together, Edwards pushed for Fiorentina centre-back Matija Nastasic to be recruited. Rodgers wanted a player with Premier League experience, but during the standoff, Manchester City bought the Serb instead.

Nastasic was named Manchester City's Young Player of the Year during his first season in England, while Liverpool still hasn't found a reliable central defender.

Transfer news: Liverpool to undergo complete review of player recruitment strategy - Sky Sports News (December 16, 2014)
    "There is talk today that Liverpool are going to have a full review of their transfer procedure; how their committee decides on transfer targets and how they go about bringing them in.
    My impression of the televised report was that somebody briefed Vinny O’Connor before hand because Rodgers himself said nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Anyone know anything about neto? would he be a good signing? Available on a free and linked with Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Gits_bone wrote: »

QbFLUV0.png

Di Marzio works for these I think and very reliable.

Their the ones who are apparently reporting that he has chosen Inter. Dont know if its Di Marzio himself but a person told me it was Gazzetta Dello Sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is planning a £2m bid for Sheffield Wednesday and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiran Westwood - but Westwood will snub the approach and stay at Hillsborough. [\quote]

Shame they can't spell his name right.

MASSIVE keeper, rumours he's not playing at Citeh tomoro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When i read this thread these days and see the term 'marquee signing'.

ds.gif

I honestly dont think we have the persons at the club able to pull off a signing like this for us.

I think we will just see more of this from Rodgers. I dont think he is that arrogant a manager that he thinks he can go without experience and genuine quality. We can debate all we want about the merits of Gerrard and Johnson but in all likelihood both will be gone. That's 'experience' gone.

Although better days have gone, the attitudes of winners. We arent going to simply grow a team of winners without a few sprinkled about in the squad imo. When this summer comes we will also lose Toure. How many will then be in this squad that will have won a single thing with the club or any club in England?.

That's a worry really.

daithijjj wrote: »
    When i read this thread these days and see the term 'marquee signing'.

ds.gif

I honestly dont think we have the persons at the club able to pull off a signing like this for us.

I think we will just see more of this from Rodgers. I dont think he is that arrogant a manager that he thinks he can go without experience and genuine quality. We can debate all we want about the merits of Gerrard and Johnson but in all likelihood both will be gone. That's 'experience' gone.

Although better days have gone, the attitudes of winners. We arent going to simply grow a team of winners without a few sprinkled about in the squad imo. When this summer comes we will also lose Toure. How many will then be in this squad that will have won a single thing with the club or any club in England?.

That's a worry really.

Don't worry, there'll be more Toures.

Might be even lucky enough to get Lescott thrown in when we throw 25m at Berahino.

• Advertisement

Surely its likely Toure might stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Despite all the money spent - not one of those players is as good as a 34 year old Steven Gerrard in the hear and now.

Bang!!

Someone had to ****ing say it. If we end up chasing a Europa League / FA Cup QF in the last 15 Gerrard might save us. Markovic / Lallana and the rest won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Think I might throw a fiver or so on Liverpool for the FA Cup at 10/1. Not only would it be his last game but it will be Steven Gerrards 35th birthday. That s**t is written in the stars.
    Having said that AFC Wimbledon would go and spoil it before it even gets interesting knowing my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is planning a £2m bid for Sheffield Wednesday and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiran Westwood - but Westwood will snub the approach and stay at Hillsborough. [\quote]
    Talisman wrote: »
    He's a player that isn't interested in just picking up a pay packet. He turned down a move to Man City in the summer.

I could understand not wanting to spend his time as understudy to Joe Hart but turning down a chance to move to a big club, given the two we have?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Bang!!

Someone had to ****ing say it. If we end up chasing a Europa League / FA Cup QF in the last 15 Gerrard might save us. Markovic / Lallana and the rest won't.

Bang.... It's a game of 90 mins, unless you know impact sub role appeals to Gerrard your bang is complete opinion and nothing but :)

Lallana is 4 goals from 14 pl appearances afaik btw.

If I had a choice between Adam lallana and Steven Gerrard playing for us on a weekly basis I'd choose lallana. Some of you need to realise Gerrard is not that effective anymore. It's part of the reason I'm glad he's leaving, it's not enjoyable seeing mediocre players running rings around gerrard but the fact is past it.

MR NINE wrote: »
    If I had a choice between Adam lallana and Steven Gerrard playing for us on a weekly basis I'd choose lallana. Some of you need to realise Gerrard is not that effective anymore. It's part of the reason I'm glad he's leaving, it's not enjoyable seeing mediocre players running rings around gerrard but the fact is past it.

BANG... The potential for a moment of magic doesn't compensate for the above imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Really?

Do you really think that Gerrard is going to walk out on this club in order to play regular football in a mickey mouse MLS league?

Augeo wrote: »
    BANG... The potential for a moment of magic doesn't compensate for the above imo..

What the....

Why is there a Gerrard or Lallana argument???????????

Really?

Do you really think that Gerrard is going to walk out on this club in order to play regular football in a mickey mouse MLS league?

I think he doesn't fancy the alternative which is being on the bench most of the time. Also when he plays he sees a more effective CM moved/dropped to accommodate him, probably realises that's not going to continue much longer.

No doubt it doesn't overly please him but he can't be oblivious to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Really?

He's just announced it hadn't he?

What the....

Why is there a Gerrard or Lallana argument???????????

Ffs read the previous few pages and find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bang!!

That's a flawed argument though. I mean Andy f*cking Carroll almost saved an FA cup final for us...whoda thunk it? Nothing to say those mentioned aren't capable of the same.

Someone will step up...maybe even Henderson will take on a bit of responsibility rather than sheepishly looking around to pass it to Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's just announced it hadn't he?
    Don't be so gullible. A few months ago, we heard there were negotiations, we heard that Rodgers wanted him to stay. Now all of a sudden, he's off. It's blatantly obvious that he was not offered a contract that was acceptable, so he's decided to look elsewhere - as is his right now that he is in the last 6 months of his contract. What's happening now is choreographed nonsense.

.....DIt's blatantly obvious that he was not offered a contract that was acceptable, so he's decided to look elsewhere - as is his right now that he is in the last 6 months of his contract. What's happening now is choreographed nonsense.

Sure that's what someone else said and you quoted them and replied "really?"

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's a flawed argument though. I mean Andy f*cking Carroll almost saved an FA cup final for us...whoda thunk it? Nothing to say those mentioned aren't capable of the same.

Someone will step up...maybe even Henderson will take on a bit of responsibility rather than sheepishly looking around to pass it to Gerrard.

I think its beyond question that hendersons performances improve when gerrard isnt on the pitch. Henderson will never be the player gerrard was, but hes better than the player gerrard is so the sooner he gets to play in central midfield, instead of being ****ed around to accomodate someone whos recent form doesnt deserve a place in the starting 11, the better. Theres no question gerrard was fantastic, but current gerrard just isnt very good, at all, some people seem to have a hard time accepting that. Hes been one of our worst players this season.

Ah Francie, which is it?

Weren't "we" ****ing burning his effigy when he was possibly going to go to Chelsea all those years back. Gerrard has taken worse, taken serious abuse, as most professional footballers have, from rival fans and sometimes those claiming to be Liverpool fans. I'd say that **** is water off a duck's back.

Really?

Don't be so gullible. A few months ago, we heard there were negotiations, we heard that Rodgers wanted him to stay. Now all of a sudden, he's off. It's blatantly obvious that he was not offered a contract that was acceptable, so he's decided to look elsewhere - as is his right now that he is in the last 6 months of his contract. What's happening now is choreographed nonsense.

Really puzzling francie to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Maicon would be marquee.

Jesus, Maicon is a dinosaur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is shaquiri holding a Liverpool shirt yet?

No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

FYI - the interview with Gerrard is well worth watching - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30667384

When I see Gerrard so emotional in that interview about the club and Rodgers, it seems blatantly clear to me that he does not want to leave. I reckon he wanted to stay, Rodgers wanted him to stay, but the big shots behind the scenes wanted him out. I could imagine him asking for £100k a week for another year, but the authorities higher up simply saying no. Without the assurances of the club, I cant certainly imagine Gerrard's head being turned.

I actually feel sick to be a Liverpool supporter. All the garbage that has been spouted by our own supporters has driven Gerrard out, I am pretty certain of that. I think at this stage, the management have been trying to ensure that damage limitation is in place, simply to try and protect the club against a supporters backlash. Gerrard is a consummate professional, so he will definitely try not to damage the club - at the same time, he is clearly very emotional over all this.

I never advocated paying top wages to mercenaries like Joe Cole or Maxi Rodriguez - but at the same time, some kind of recognition needs to be given to the likes of Gerrard given his stature at the club. I think that simply hasn't happened here. Carragher actually said exactly the same words I am saying, and given his treatment, I reckon he is spot on. Gerrard simply does not fit into their moneyball philosophy - so he will be ditched.

Him being emotional in an interview is a given, hes been at the club since he was 8, all he knows is liverpool.
    Not to trot that old tired line but no player is bigger than the club, although gerrard maybe close to it his day has come and our best eleven dosent have gerrard in it full time. If hes not happy with the notion of being a bit part player then tough **** tbh. Think people are getting too sentimental and romantic over it, he will be 35 at the end of the season ffs.
    His decline is clear to see this season particularly, yeah he scored that free against basle but he was anonymous that game like many others, will he still have another couple of clutch moments this season? Probably and hopefully but its time to part ways. It will be a sad day when he actually leaves but we are truely entering a new era at the club and im excited.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

klose wrote: »
    but we are truely entering a new era at the club and im excited.!

Ya, an era where we overpay for average players and have no big names in the squad. Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Liverpool can't get a big name to replace Gerrard like Nainngolan. I would love us to look at Imbula from Marseille. Been superb for Marseille this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Liverpool can't get a big name to replace Gerrard like Nainngolan. I would love us to look at Imbula from Marseille. Been superb for Marseille this season.

Could just go for a long name I suppose.

Or maybe better still could buy a player for the system rather than getting trapped in a like for like way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

klose wrote: »
    It will be a sad day when he actually leaves but we are truely entering a new era at the club and im excited.!

A new era of zero world class players and zero players who were once world class and have that type of quality in their boots. Stoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers has been on about changing the transfer policy from youth with potential to ready-made players. So what type of players is he on about, the likes of Khedira or Strootman to try and fill Gerrards boots or signings like Delph, Ashley Williams and Kieran Westwood. Lambert, Lovren and Lallana were hardly young players with potential. We need to look at players to come in that are significantly better than what we have now, not going around in circles with more squad players.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/03/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-steven-gerrard?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Yeah not to be a Debbie downer but I was actually excited last Summer, thinking we had actually improved the squad. :o

Best to be cautious but fair before we have actually anything to go on in terms of what happens next Summer. As for the rest of this season, there's no reason why we can't push for silverware.

A new era of zero world class players and zero players who were once world class and have that type of quality in their boots. Stoked.

Weve never bought world class, who knows what players will develop into what calibre here.

Did you ever consider supporting Chelsea, its much easier. Liverpool really seems to be a bit of a nuisance to you.

Blick (Swiss paper) on Shaqiri

http://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/nati/xherdan-shaqiri-gespraeche-mit-juventus-und-inter-pasta-oder-fish-chips-id3382966.html

Basically it says Liverpool had agreement with player last summer but Bayern refused to sell as I think we knew at the time, but now LFC are interested (along with Inter/Juve) but that LFC will pay the money now whereas the Italian clubs want a loan to buy deal

Also some stuff about different ways to deploy "the magic dwarf" in the Italian teams.

Also Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Liverpool keep tabs on Valencia striker Paco Alcacer in Telegraph via Marca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Julian Draxler to replace Gerrard? I'm not sure we have a shot at him by we have had scout at last couple of games and Rodgers even attended one. While it would be a great signing the problem remains that he adds little experience at only 21. Anyone know what kind of a season he is having?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Julian Draxler to replace Gerrard?
    He's a left winger and we have Sterling.

After Gerrard leaves and Johnson follows suits this summer do you think we will have any players on £100k+ a year? FSG will be delighted. I wonder if you picked through the other top four squad how many players they have on £100k+ a year. We can't really be expected to compete if we don't pay the wages.

Talisman wrote: »
    He's a left winger and we have Sterling.

Well he plays across any of the three positions behind the strikers as Gerrard should only have been employed throughout his career but I guess we're well stocked in those areas.

After Gerrard leaves and Johnson follows suits this summer do you think we will have any players on £100k+ a year? FSG will be delighted. I wonder if you picked through the other top four squad how many players they have on £100k+ a year. We can't really be expected to compete if we don't pay the wages.

Sturridge probably only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yeah not to be a Debbie downer but I was actually excited last Summer, thinking we had actually improved the squad. :o

Best to be cautious but fair before we have actually anything to go on in terms of what happens next Summer. As for the rest of this season, there's no reason why we can't push for silverware.

The squad overall did improve last year but the club failed to sign the 2 or 3 quality players you need to help get through a long campaign .
    The squad looks in much better shape then it has for sometime . LFC just need to buy 3 big names and it will look a whole pile better .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/nati/xherdan-shaqiri-gespraeche-mit-juventus-und-inter-pasta-oder-fish-chips-id3382966.html

Basically it says Liverpool had agreement with player last summer but Bayern refused to sell as I think we knew at the time, but now LFC are interested (along with Inter/Juve) but that LFC will pay the money now whereas the Italian clubs want a loan to buy deal

Also some stuff about different ways to deploy "the magic dwarf" in the Italian teams.

Also Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Liverpool keep tabs on Valencia striker Paco Alcacer in Telegraph via Marca.

I don't believe we are in for Shaqiri at all to be honest. Rumours.

Is there anyone who knows where we are with FFP? Do we actually have any money to spend?

Wonder will we see Rossiter or Ojo tomorrow.

gafferino wrote: »
    I don't believe we are in for Shaqiri at all to be honest. Rumours.

Is there anyone who knows where we are with FFP? Do we actually have any money to spend?

Wonder will we see Rossiter or Ojo tomorrow.

Always money to spend - Shaqiris legs can be listed under Anfield infrastructure!

Borini will be sold in January I think, I'd really not be shocked if Johnson went for a few million also this month. Maybe release Brad Jones and move his wages across to Neto or whoever comes in.

If Balotelli doesn't feature in the match squads for tomorrow and the next league game I reckon that's him gone.

Expect to see both Rossiter and Ojo (on the bench)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You are pointing out a symptom of not being a rich club, whether it be rich by gift or by commercial activity. Unless the club is bought by a Sheik/oligarch/obliging billionaire fan, then we will not be competing on wages with the top 4. And I wouldn't have it any other way tbh, money is not always the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

:D

Made me laugh.

That's what they call him in Switzerland!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement