Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

After Gerrard leaves and Johnson follows suits this summer do you think we will have any players on £100k+ a year? FSG will be delighted. I wonder if you picked through the other top four squad how many players they have on £100k+ a year. We can't really be expected to compete if we don't pay the wages.

I think they always maintained they had no issue paying a player if he earned it. See sturridge and soon sterling to get the big wages. See suares getting 250,000 too

They also established the most important/rarest players to come by a world class strikers, then wingers /attacking midfielders.
    Therefore Johnson would have been on the top of their list to get rid of as soon as they took over. They could not understand how a right back who was contributing nothing going forward and not much at the back either for that matter was on 20 goals a season striker money. I recall this been printed somewhere but can't recall where.

I think Rogers is their man. I think he wants to implement a fast pressing game but when he had to accommodate Gerard this year he was unable to . The Swansea game was evidence enough.

Gerard is a class act but the game was passing him by this season. He needs a change. The rest of the players need to come out under his shadow which they can never do while he is there. Fair play for Gerard for going on his way in a dignified manner. He should play in all cup games in the AM position and hopefully he get some silver wear before he leave.

I think Gerard is on 150,000. in my opinion FSG were never going to offer a new contract that Gerard would be happy with as he simply wasn't earning his money anymore. What they want is a young hungry team where, if you preform you WILL get paid.

next season they should have that squad. It's not as far away as people think.

There will be lots of wages freed up - 400,000-500,000 in my guestimation a week with Gerard,johnson,suso, borini,ballotelli, lambert, toure, Assaidi all should be gone.

Bring back ilori, ibe, wisdom and we should on need to invest in 3 quality players.
    not sure for goal keeper but I don't think we will be able to get cech between wages and his age can't see it happening.

I think people need to be realistic on the players we can actually get. We are more than likely not going to European football this year which might not be a bad thing for a title run next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

If we are in fact chasing Shaqiri it may be a case of Inter making life difficult for us. Rumours were flying around that they were keen on both Lucas and Borini and maybe this is their way of putting up a roadblock.

If we are intent on landing Shaqiri and we agreed to sell Borini to Inter they might pull out of the running. All guesswork here I know but it was just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Liverpool keep tabs on Valencia striker Paco Alcacer in Telegraph via Marca.

Being linked to Alcacer excites me alot more than Shaqiri.

If there is any truth to that link at least someone in the club can see what is needed a forward with pace.

Lacazette along with Alcacer the 2 forwards I named last week that I would love to club to try for in Janaury/Summer.

Both of them would be solid partners and replacement for Sturridge if he got injured.

A strike force of Sturridge, Alcacer, Lacazette & Origi is a young fast paced interchangable forward line that the likes of Sterling and Coutinho would love to in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FA CUP Loan Watch

Wisdom on bench for WBA
    Ibe starting on bench for Derby
    Teixeira starts for Brighton and Hove Albion.

and Lloyd Jones, Kevin Stewart and Jack Dunn all start for Cheltenham v Oxford Utd in League two

Ilori starts for Bordeaux v Toulouse in Coupe de France, currently 1-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ilori starts for Bordeaux v Toulouse in Coupe de France, currently 1-0 up.

I didnt even realise he was on loan. Wonder how hes getting on at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

From the Echo:
    LFC set to reach agreement to bring Lille star Origi to Anfield this month.

Happy with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Slattsy wrote: »
    From the Echo:
    LFC set to reach agreement to bring Lille star Origi to Anfield this month.

Happy with that.

If we pay 6m extra for him and don't play him regularly I'll throw a shoe at someone.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I didnt even realise he was on loan. Wonder how hes getting on at all...

He has had only six starts so far (4 league, 1 each in domestic cups) scoring 1 goal. He was out for about 10 weeks with two separate injuries.

Ilori just subbed on 60 mins - watching the game but dunno why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gunna cost £3m. I can live with that bit it's still terrible business

Pay 6m for a player we own is so so crazy.

That 6m could be put towards another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

5starpool wrote: »
    If we pay 6m extra for him and don't play him regularly I'll throw a shoe at someone.

He should saunter into the side.

Well if that's the case I can only imagine that Borini is now gone.

Borini out, Origi in, Shaqiri as the other forward type and a cheap keeper. 6 million plus 11 million plus 2/3 million = 20 million.

Slattsy wrote: »
    He should saunter into the side.

He hasn't been setting the French league on fire with 4 Goals this season so far for Lille who are 13th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

What are the odds on the lump akinfenwa making skrtel look like a schoolboy defender tomorrow?

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    What are the odds on the lump akinfenwa making skrtel look like a schoolboy defender tomorrow?

I was going to say we should play the kids tomorrow but they are all on loan at Cheltenham Town scoring and winning in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Being linked to Alcacer excites me alot more than Shaqiri.

If there is any truth to that link at least someone in the club can see what is needed a forward with pace.

Lacazette along with Alcacer the 2 forwards I named last week that I would love to club to try for in Janaury/Summer.

Both of them would be solid partners and replacement for Sturridge if he got injured.

A strike force of Sturridge, Alcacer, Lacazette & Origi is a young fast paced interchangable forward line that the likes of Sterling and Coutinho would love to in front of them.
    The thing is we have been repeatedly linked with players of that profile in recent years and it has turned out to be nothing more than speculation.

Morata - Moved to Juventus
    Icardi - Moved to Inter Milan
    Destro - Moved to Roma
    Immobile - Moved to Torino and Borussia Dortmund
    Rondon - Moved to Rubin Kazan and Zenit St. Petersburg
    Damiao - Moved to Santos

Meanwhile we signed Sturridge (a player Rodgers didn't want), Borini (a player Rodgers did want), Lambert and Balotelli.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if representatives for Alcacer and Lacazette are using our reported interest to get better deals for their clients. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened - Diego Costa immediately comes to mind.

He hasn't been setting the French league on fire with 4 Goals this season so far for Lille who are 13th in the league.

Have you seen this Lille team? A shadow of the Rudi García side, not saying he'd be transformed but Coutinho and Sterling would provide him with a supply line that is absent for him now.

I saw a couple of there games this season, he's in a side totally unsuited to him. They have to be the most negative and sterile side I have ever seen. I think he'll be a huge hit here but he is so young still.

Pay 6m for a player we own is so so crazy.

That 6m could be put towards another striker.

Its 3m but continue to say £6m

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've been saying it for ages, Origi in for 5/6 million. That's all we are going to get up front I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think its a good move. Origi has struggled the last few months but Lille are a terrible team. It will be good to get him out of there.

Have you seen this Lille team? A shadow of the Rudi García side, not saying he'd be transformed but Coutinho and Sterling would provide him with a supply line that is absent for him now.

I have and I know he has been shunted out on the wing and they are playing a different style of football.

But bring him into a Liverpool team that is struggling to find a system and form is not going to do him any favours either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Origi has the potential to be immense with the likes of Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling around him. I don't believe the Lille form is truly representative given their tactics and personnel.

The Origi from the World Cup was a frightening prospect didn't he keep Lukaku out of the side

rob316 wrote: »
    Its 3m but continue to say £6m

And where did I use a £ sign I left out for a reason because there has been so many different £$€ used!

But you continue to feel free to keep jumping to conclusions.

Paying £3m 6m any £$€m for a player we own is stupid and wrong.

Paying £3m 6m any £$€m for a player we own is stupid and wrong.

I think your looking at this wrong AC.

Technically we do "own" him. But he is on loan. We are paying more to bring him in now.

I'd rather him in now, while there is still an outside chance to rescue the season, get 4th or win the Europa, then wait until next August.

It's not like our strikers are blowing the league open. Sturridge is injury prone, Balotelli is not suited to us, Lambert is a Plan B, Borini doesn't get to play. Sterling is filling in and does well but doesn't have that finishing aspect of things.

I'd say Borini will be sold now anyway. He has been marginalized and he knows it, so we will get some money back - not as much as if he had left when that 14m Sunderland bid came in, nobody will offer that now - but it's not such a bad move really.

Everton in for Shaqiri - so that's that then :(
    Paa Kow Pieterson @KinnyMox · 9m9 minutes ago

Everton FC transfer gossip: Blues enter race for Xherdan Shaqiri http://binged.it/1AsDrGZ #FootballNews

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think your looking at this wrong AC.

Technically we do "own" him. But he is on loan. We are paying more to bring him in now.

I'd rather him in now, while there is still an outside chance to rescue the season, get 4th or win the Europa, then wait until next August.

It's not like our strikers are blowing the league open. Sturridge is injury prone, Balotelli is not suited to us, Lambert is a Plan B, Borini doesn't get to play. Sterling is filling in and does well but doesn't have that finishing aspect of things.

I'd say Borini will be sold now anyway. He has been marginalized and he knows it, so we will get some money back - not as much as if he had left when that 14m Sunderland bid came in, nobody will offer that now - but it's not such a bad move really.

I would rather recall Ibe from Derby who is having a great season with them and has been scoring goals.

He also wouldn't cost us any money as his loan deal has a Janaury recall in it by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I would rather recall Ibe from Derby who is having a great season with them and has been scoring goals.

He also wouldn't cost us any money as his loan deal has a Janaury recall in it by all accounts.

Leave him at Derby where he will get experience and some good coaching and come back a better player. Take Origi who if he stays there will do him no good at all such is there football this season so far.

W

Really? Ibe is as raw as some peoples steak, Five goals (?) is a great return but only need to read the Derby Country message boards to see that he is a very frustrating player at times. He'll be a fine player but he needs every minute he is getting, as a left winger he really isn't going to get many minutes esp when Sterling moves back from his current role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

wcarey1975 wrote:
    Leave him at Derby where he will get experience and some good coaching and come back a better player. Take Origi who if he stays there will do him no good at all such is there football this season so far.

Agreed. The Lille fans are getting on his back now as they know he's off anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Really? Ibe is as raw as some peoples steak, Five goals (?) is a great return but only need to read the Derby Country message boards to see that he is a very frustrating player at times. He'll be a fine player but he needs every minute he is getting, as a left winger he really isn't going to get many minutes esp when Sterling moves back from his current role
    Don't agree with that at all. He can overdue at times but he does have a decent football brain too. Been playing some lovely passes for Derby last few weeks. He would be a better option than Markovic (who is improving) but isn't a goal threat at all.

wcarey1975 wrote: »

W

I agree fully to be honest and have always said players shouldn't be recalled from loan deals. But paying whatever money for a player we own who will return to the club in 5 months is so frustrating .

Really? Ibe is as raw as some peoples steak, Five goals (?) is a great return but only need to read the Derby Country message boards to see that he is a very frustrating player at times. He'll be a fine player but he needs every minute he is getting as a left winger he really isn't going to get many minutes esp when Sterling moves back from his current role

That is what we were all saying aout Sterling this time last season here.

As above I don't think we should recall him and I would sent more players on loan to Derby if I had my way.

I am just more frustrated with the idea of paying to bring back a player we own than anything else.

Bag of Cement
    Can---Lovren--Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo
    Origi--Sturridge--Sterling

Bag of Cement
    Can---Lovren--Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo
    Sterling
    Origi--Sturridge

Bag of Cement
    Manquillo----Can--Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas

Hendo----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Origi--Sturridge

Bag of Cement
    Can---Lovren--Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo

I'd have Can in the middle keeping the other 2 away from each other.

The form Coutinho is in at the moment he needs to play.

Bag of Cement
    Lucas

Hendo----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Origi--Sturridge

That's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bag of Cement
    Can---Lovren--Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo

Bag of Cement
    Can---Lovren--Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo
    Sterling
    Origi--Sturridge

Bag of Cement
    Lucas

Hendo----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Origi--Sturridge

Wishful thinking. Bag of Cement's agent has been in talks with Arsenal all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I think they always maintained they had no issue paying a player if he earned it. See sturridge and soon sterling to get the big wages. See suares getting 250,000 too

They also established the most important/rarest players to come by a world class strikers, then wingers /attacking midfielders.
    Therefore Johnson would have been on the top of their list to get rid of as soon as they took over. They could not understand how a right back who was contributing nothing going forward and not much at the back either for that matter was on 20 goals a season striker money. I recall this been printed somewhere but can't recall where.

I think Rogers is their man. I think he wants to implement a fast pressing game but when he had to accommodate Gerard this year he was unable to . The Swansea game was evidence enough.

Gerard is a class act but the game was passing him by this season. He needs a change. The rest of the players need to come out under his shadow which they can never do while he is there. Fair play for Gerard for going on his way in a dignified manner. He should play in all cup games in the AM position and hopefully he get some silver wear before he leave.

I think Gerard is on 150,000. in my opinion FSG were never going to offer a new contract that Gerard would be happy with as he simply wasn't earning his money anymore. What they want is a young hungry team where, if you preform you WILL get paid.

next season they should have that squad. It's not as far away as people think.

There will be lots of wages freed up - 400,000-500,000 in my guestimation a week with Gerard,johnson,suso, borini,ballotelli, lambert, toure, Assaidi all should be gone.

Bring back ilori, ibe, wisdom and we should on need to invest in 3 quality players.
    not sure for goal keeper but I don't think we will be able to get cech between wages and his age can't see it happening.

I think people need to be realistic on the players we can actually get. We are more than likely not going to European football this year which might not be a bad thing for a title run next season

Title run my h*Le.
    The quality of player required won't/can't be got. All the wages being freed up need to be reinvested on quality. The club needs to get maximum bang for their buck. Last summer they failed to do so.

Bag-Of-Cement1.jpg

:pac:

I am just more frustrated with the idea of paying to bring back a player we own than anything else.
    It could be an indication that the jury is out on Rodgers/the transfer committee. The benefit of bringing him in now is that he gets six months to settle into the club before pre-season. I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on him rescuing our season, he's only 19 and will take time to adapt to the league.

• Advertisement

Bag-Of-Cement1.jpg

Still in better shape than that picture of Reina that was posted yesterday. :eek:

Talisman wrote: »
    It could be an indication that the jury is out on Rodgers/the transfer committee. The benefit of bringing him in now is that he gets six months to settle into the club before pre-season. I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on him rescuing our season, he's only 19 and will take time to adapt to the league.

True but the player in question doesn't need to score 15 goals or even 10 to make the team a very much more effective set up. Right now its scraps hoping for Sterling to be a striker when in front of goal. Stick two real strikers with pace up top and you can get the shape back to what actually works best.

Talisman wrote: »

If he does come back he is coming back to a club in crisis compared to last season.

The team doesn't have any form or set system playing style and everyone will be looking at him to score goals.

If he does come back and play and doesn't score that is a lot of pressure to put on a 19 year old.

If he doesn't play you have to ask why we brought him back.

What we all hope for is that he does a Sturridge and scores 10+ goal before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bag-Of-Cement1.jpg

Still looks an improvement on Mignolet.

333647.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Bowlardo wrote: »

Gerrard commercial revenues would have offset that to a large degree. He's a global icon for this club that creates huge revenue streams. His decision doesn't look like he was looking for astronomical wages according the figure that we have seen.

We have seen this season what a young hungry team gets you. Mixed in with those players needs to be top class players in their prime. To attract those players though you need to pay the wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

garra wrote: »
    You are pointing out a symptom of not being a rich club, whether it be rich by gift or by commercial activity. Unless the club is bought by a Sheik/oligarch/obliging billionaire fan, then we will not be competing on wages with the top 4. And I wouldn't have it any other way tbh, money is not always the solution.

No I am not but FSG do seem to have brainwashed the fans into thinking the above. This club can easily support a number of players earning 100k+

• Advertisement

There was a potential crisis when 3 PL games were lost on the trot, since than 15 points attained from a possible 24.... No crisis imo if you are a realist.

If he does come back he is coming back to a club in crisis compared to last season.

The team doesn't have any form or set system playing style and everyone will be looking at him to score goals.

If he does come back and play and doesn't score that is a lot of pressure to put on a 19 year old.

If he doesn't play you have to ask why we brought him back.

What we all hope for is that he does a Sturridge and scores 10+ goal before the end of the season.
    I don't want to say the season is a write off, we're still in the cup competitions and it is possible to finish in the top four. But in that scenario there is a benefit to bringing Origi into the club now. If he hits the ground running then it's a bonus. If he doesn't then he has 6 months to get used to the club, the league and the life style and of course share a dressing room with Gerrard.

I agree regarding the pressure but that is something that Rodgers will have to manage and there's no better man for getting this point across to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lads Can is not a CB. He is doing a job there and doing well but I would have him back in CM/ DM to compete with Henderson/ Lucas ASAP.

We need another CB for sure. I dont know why people keeping on putting Lovren ahead of Skrtel. Skrtel is not brilliant by any stretch but he deserves a place a damn sight more than ****ing Lovren. **** Lovren, I hope we sell him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

slingerz wrote: »
    Origi has the potential to be immense with the likes of Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling around him. I don't believe the Lille form is truly representative given their tactics and personnel.

The Origi from the World Cup was a frightening prospect didn't he keep Lukaku out of the side

That's because Lukaku has the touch of a goose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    **** Lovren, I hope we sell him.

YNWA indeed......bet he's delighted he made the move.

Lovren has shown he can defend at a very good level, he can do the job effectively if he is in a setup that is coached correctly and has a clear understanding of how to operate in phases and positions. Not gonna happen under Rodgers though. Defence is not his specialty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement