Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Halfway house stats.

Position
    games
    Win
    Draw
    Lose
    Clean sheets
    Failed to score
    Goals for
    Goals against
    Goal difference
    +1
    Points per game

I'd imagine 65-70 points would be 4th place territory the ways things are going. That's about 2.10 PPG over the next 19 games.

Dare say you're onto something In theory based on current form it would be a low profile POTENTIALLY that gets 4th this season. However don't bet your house on it - all teams are beginning to trend upwards points wise and the idea that it'll still need 2ppg or 76pts overall isn't beyond the pale. Arsenal/Southampton now both on 1.71, and I'd be comfortable enough projecting 73 would do the job, but I don't think it'll be far below that.

I would, mark my words, absolutely say 4th will end with ABOVE 69 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who'd have thought playing your best CM in CM and actual WBs in WB positions would give you a good performance.....

We played well against Arsenal and Bournemouth ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's been 69 points or above for 4 of the last 5 seasons I believe.

Basically, if you don't have 70 points you are relying others around you to be crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't think Sterling was great tonight

Your man Fernandez basically got the better of him on nearly every occasion. I'd say a few coaches will be studying that one as it's a good lesson on how to deal with a guy like Sterling.

It was clear Sterling was getting p*ssed off at his lack of success and this is probably what led to his silly slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Kirby wrote: »
    It's been 69 points or above for 4 of the last 5 seasons I believe.

Basically, if you don't have 70 points you are relying others around you to be crap.

Based on the unusually low trend at 8,10,12 games many were speculating that it would end up below this mark. However it's clearly trending upwards now, with several teams beginning to hit runs of form which will likely make 69+ a 4th place points tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    But it shows that when Enrique was playing left wing, that Rodgers plays loosey goosey with positions.

Well Enrique used to combine wonderfully with Suarez.

to be fair I have no problem if Sterling plays RWB on occasions :)

A few posters did comment before the start of the season saying how Lallana, Lovren, Can, Manquilla, Moreno, Balotelli etc was quite a few players to be coming into a team and that it couldn't be expected to go well from the off.

Lallana being injured & Lovren being totally sh1te compounded this, add in Sturridge being injured and Balotelli being worse than expected.

We are I think seeing light at the end of the tunnel, the squad is improved on last year, Gerrard was an unused sub tonight (he's still a great option to have) & we didn't need an out and out striker to get the job done.

I do reckon that a forward of some sort will come in and Borini will be off, also I am hopefull that Sturridge will make a Jan/Feb return and he will stay fit for a while.

After beating Burnley and Swansea (which was a 1 in 3 chance using the bookmakers odds as a guide) the Top 4 betting with Paddy Power now is as follows.........

Arsenal 1/3
    Southampton 4/1
    West Ham United 25/1
    Tottenham Hotspur 11/2
    Liverpool 11/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cant believe our passing accuracy was actually worse than Swansea, I thought they gave the ball away so cheaply that it was laughable.

Liverpool 83% and the Swans were 87%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Back up where i expect Liverpools performance levels to be, high pressing, high intensity and everyone giving 100% for the shirt. Coutinho and Lallana making me think this could well be a decent second half of the season. Add a striker to that equation and we are in a good position.

On another note ... 3 at the back, 2 wingbacks AKA fullbacks (reacting superbly to when Routledge and Dyer were on the ball) shows that Brendan is not giving up on his job quite yet. Well drilled and motivated.

A good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lollana

Mod Snip; Don't post EPL Vines please.

• Advertisement

On another note ... 3 at the back, 2 wingbacks AKA fullbacks (reacting superbly to when Routledge and Dyer were on the ball) shows that Brendan is not giving up on his job quite yet. Well drilled and motivated..........

He is demonstrating an ability to work under an element of pressure.
    I do hope we look back on the first half of this season and see it as being a blip on a great period :)

Another HUGE game on Thursday, 3 points needed, no excuses because as well as Liverpool needing 3 points..........2/3s of the competition for Top 4 are likely to drop points, if not 3/3s of them :D Chelsea victory and a draw in the S'ton Arsenal game would be sweet although I have Man City backed for the league so I'd nearly like Spurs to take a point :o

Southampton v Arsenal

Tottenham v Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Can't quote my last post from the previous thread but I'm currently eating a large humble pie and it tastes good!!!!!

Couldn't see us winning by 3 goals against Swansea but just goes to show!!

If the stars line up for us and we can boost out goal difference on Thursday and get within 2 points of 4th place if Arsenal and Southampton draw.

Should Chelsea beat Spurs we even climb another position on the table with goal difference.

Can't see West Ham losing to West Brom though. Could potentially see Arsenal, Southampton and West Ham all on 34 points, just 2 above us come Thursday evening.

Now that would be amazing considering the season we have had so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

He has been our best player over the last 4/5 games for me just running at teams.

Getting so many games in a row is building up his stamina as well whcih can only be a good thing.

I really don't care about his shooting to be honest its about getting a striker who will be able to read his passes.

Sturridge and Coutinho had a great partnership at the start of last season if that can be repeated and both stay fit it will be a rollercoaster of a second half of the season.

On the last 4-5 games, I would love to find out our opponents average backline position compared to the first 14.

Looking at the highlights (again:-)), their line seems a good few yards closer to their own goals than it has been for a while.

It shows the benefit of having a threat in behind from a forward again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Augeo wrote: »
    Chelsea victory and a draw in the S'ton Arsenal game would be sweet although I have Man City backed for the league so I'd nearly like Spurs to take a point :o
    dogbert27 wrote: »
    If the stars line up for us and we can boost out goal difference on Thursday and get within 2 points of 4th place if Arsenal and Southampton draw.

Should Chelsea beat Spurs we even climb another position on the table with goal difference.

For me, I'd obviously want a Chelsea win but also a win for Southampton.

dogbert27 wrote: »

Can't see West Ham losing to West Brom though. Could potentially see Arsenal, Southampton and West Ham all on 34 points, just 2 above us come Thursday evening.

Now that would be amazing considering the season we have had so far.

Think your calculations are off by a point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »
    Think your calculations are off by a point :)

DAMN IT!! I'll go back to my doom and gloom again!! :)

Agger on LFC TV Yesterday.

A nervous keeper and a new back 3 so no complaints for a few shaky moments the manager needs to keep playing together as much as possible so they get used to playing together and get drill on set plays against them.

A real DM and a real box to box midfielder playing beside each other. who new.

Two attacking fullbacks who are fullbacks.

An attacking 3 that can interchange.

Credit where it is due and its taken half a season but Rodgers has found or lucked into a system that suits the players he has and now he has to build on it big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kirby wrote: »
    Your man Fernandez basically got the better of him on nearly every occasion. I'd say a few coaches will be studying that one as it's a good lesson on how to deal with a guy like Sterling.

It was clear Sterling was getting p*ssed off at his lack of success and this is probably what led to his silly slap.

Would agree with this. Sterling was pretty ineffective as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My Christmas wish coming true, thankfully.

Us not being sh1te for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

So **** out Mario on his arse over the next few weeks and get someone else is a given I suppose? I'm sad I really hoped he'd be a success but it's been a disaster :(

The only signing I've liked consistently has been Can but lets hope we can go on a bit of a run now & the others can keep progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sturridge, Sterling, Hendo, Coutinho and Moreno, Lallana-na, Lallana-na.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kunkka wrote: »
    So **** out Mario on his arse over the next few weeks and get someone else is a given I suppose? I'm sad I really hoped he'd be a success but it's been a disaster :(

The only signing I've liked consistently has been Can but lets hope we can go on a bit of a run now & the others can keep progressing.

Yeah him and borini cost close to 30 million and are on about 130k a week, replace them with a decent striker and it'll give pool a realistic chance at top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

That was a very young team out last night that played great stuff.
    If you think next year Ballotelli, Borini, Assaidi, Allenm suso should be sold and Johnson will have left it should generate a decent amound of cash and free up a hefty chunk of wages.
    Toure will probably head of with himself somewhere.
    Good Chance gerard will retire/move

We will have ibe, wisdom , ikori coming back. Rossitier a year older.
    Origi will be finally here.

There is not too much to do other that put Sterling on big contract and sign 3 players.
    Goalkepper - a keeper of stature. Must be 6"5, command box and good kick outs. Forster(Southampton)
    a DM - Big strong physical player that can move the ball quickly. I think NZonzi (stoke) is not too bad at all and could be got for cheap
    Striker - Direct replacement for sturridge. berhino looks decent. I know people are complaining about the money but he is young and i think he looks like a good finisher to me,quick and strong. worth a punt.
    Martinez would be a good addition also

2 teams with preferred 4-3-3 formation

Flanagan Sakho Lovren Moreno Manquillo Ilori Wisdom Enrique
    Can Henderson Lucas Gerard
    Coutinho Lallana
    Sterling Origi Sturridge Ibe, Markovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd keep them both and aim for sixth...most fans would be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sakho was good, he hit one dodgy pass at 2-1 but other than that he played well and he fizzes the passes into the feet of our midfielders, it helped in the build up to the first goal! And what about the few naughty little flicks and tricks he pulled off :) I was loving it!

God i was crapping my sef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

last night was proof that Gerrard should not be first choice when it comes to that DM position anymore.

if he's to be used, it needs to be further forward, and that's it.

a DM to challenge or usurp Lucas needs to be bought, as well as a GK and a striker or 2.

it still pains me that the striker issue was not properly addressed in the summer. that window could still end up being what defines the Rodgers reign unless it's rectified in the January and/or summer window.

SlickRic wrote: »
    last night was proof that Gerrard should not be first choice when it comes to that DM position anymore.

if he's to be used, it needs to be further forward, and that's it.

a DM to challenge or usurp Lucas needs to be bought, as well as a GK and a striker or 2.

it still pains me that the striker issue was not properly addressed in the summer. that window could still end up being what defines the Rodgers reign unless it's rectified in the January and/or summer window.

we do have the squad now do so you would imagine any future transfer windows would be a case of adding 1/2 players of pure quality

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Moreno's constant happiness is infectious

B6GDN73CUAAXNYg.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd imagine 65-70 points would be 4th place territory the ways things are going. That's about 2.10 PPG over the next 19 games.
    The team would need 15 wins from 19 games to have a chance of securing fourth. That's a big ask from this squad of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Talisman wrote: »
    The team would need 15 wins from 19 games to have a chance of securing fourth. That's a big ask from this squad of players.

Can you see any of the teams above us getting 13 wins from 19? That's almost title winning form (would get you above 80 points a season at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its improbable, but not impossible.

A second season in CL will do our chances of landing top quality players a whole lot of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Bowlardo wrote: »
    That was a very young team out last night that played great stuff.
    If you think next year Ballotelli, Borini, Assaidi, Allenm suso should be sold and Johnson will have left it should generate a decent amound of cash and free up a hefty chunk of wages.
    Toure will probably head of with himself somewhere.
    Good Chance gerard will retire/move

We will have ibe, wisdom , ikori coming back. Rossitier a year older.
    Origi will be finally here.

There is not too much to do other that put Sterling on big contract and sign 3 players.
    Goalkepper - a keeper of stature. Must be 6"5, command box and good kick outs. Forster(Southampton)
    a DM - Big strong physical player that can move the ball quickly. I think NZonzi (stoke) is not too bad at all and could be got for cheap
    Striker - Direct replacement for sturridge. berhino looks decent. I know people are complaining about the money but he is young and i think he looks like a good finisher to me,quick and strong. worth a punt.
    Martinez would be a good addition also

2 teams with preferred 4-3-3 formation

Flanagan Sakho Lovren Moreno Manquillo Ilori Wisdom Enrique
    Can Henderson Lucas Gerard
    Coutinho Lallana
    Sterling Origi Sturridge Ibe, Markovic

N'Zonzi, Forster and Berahino?

Good lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Come 6th and win the Europa lads, easy p z :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yeah him and borini cost close to 30 million and are on about 130k a week, replace them with a decent striker and it'll give pool a realistic chance at top 4.

Well that will automatically be happening when Sturridge gets back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well that will automatically be happening when Sturridge gets back in the team.

If anything the last 4 months have shown we need another top forward given Sturridge's history with injuries. So no... It won't automatically be happening because we don't know when he'll be out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Can you see any of the teams above us getting 13 wins from 19? That's almost title winning form (would get you above 80 points a season at least)
    Two successive wins do not mask the frailty of the squad.

Arsenal have finished on less than 70 points only once in the last five seasons. They need 12 more wins to get 69 points this season. The following 14 league fixtures are all winnable for Arsenal:

Stoke City (H)
    Aston Villa (H)
    Leicester City (H)
    Crystal Palace (A)
    Everton (H)
    Queens Park Rangers (A)
    West Ham United (H)
    Newcastle United (A)
    Liverpool (H)
    Burnley (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Hull City (A)
    Swansea City (H)
    West Bromwich Albion (H)

Liverpool have dug a hole for themselves in the first part of this season by not having a goal threat. We now need a run of form similar to the second half of last season to secure the Champions League place. Otherwise we are relying on those that are ahead of us to stumble more than us for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Good lord

I wouldn't be completely against forster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://vine.co/v/Ow1uZ2jHU7a

Lallana la la la Lallana la la la Lallana

Two successive wins do not mask the frailty of the squad.

Liverpool have dug a hole for themselves in the first part of this season by not having a goal threat. We now need a run of form similar to the second half of last season to secure the Champions League place. Otherwise we are relying on those that are ahead of us to stumble more than us for the remainder of the season.

19 games to gain 5 points on 3 teams, all going well it will be less on Thursday evening.

• Advertisement

Good lord

Who would you suggest that we could actually get?
    • The club are not going to pay the crazy wages?
    • The club are not going to spend big money on anyone 28 or over
    • The club are not going to spend over 30 million on any player
    So could you tell me what keeper, what DM and what striker would you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If anything the last 4 months have shown we need another top forward given Sturridge's history with injuries. So no... It won't automatically be happening because we don't know when he'll be out again

No it will automatically happen when Sturridge gets back in the team as he's better than Mario and Borini so we already have that striker at the club.

I'm not saying we don't need another by the way as you're right, we can't trust Sturridge's fitness and we do need another quality striker anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Reus, for all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Mattia Perin
    Johannes Geis
    Lacazette (Lavezzi available and somewhat realistic though)

Top 2 would be in the 12-15M range. Lacazette considerably more. All under 23 and wouldn't be on extortionate wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a heads up that AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool is the live game on BBC One at 7.30 on Monday 5th January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The problem with N'Zonzi, Berahino and to a lesser extent Forster is that they are more squad players which will cost quiet a bit. We need players that will definitely oust the players in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Would agree with this. Sterling was pretty ineffective as a result.

I think thats a bit harsh
    His pulling his run in the box pulled the defenders back for Morenos goal
    He was involved in the press for the second goal
    His movement right pulled the centre backs and allowed Lallana go left for his second goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Aww only 2 pages to read from last night, we must have won!

This Leicester game is humongous now, I don't think we've won 3 in a row this season yet and here we have the bottom club at home for a chance to be able to do just that, it would be a real kick in the stones if we don't beat them, it'll be interesting to see if Stevie is kept on the bench, I see no reason to change the team apart from the Skrtel suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think thats a bit harsh
    His pulling his run in the box pulled the defenders back for Morenos goal
    He was involved in the press for the second goal
    His movement right pulled the centre backs and allowed Lallana go left for his second goal.

Exactly. He had a hand in 3 goals without even touching the ball. Stats don't tell the whole story and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Aww only 2 pages to read from last night, we must have won!

This Leicester game is humongous now, I don't think we've won 3 in a row this season yet and here we have the bottom club at home for a chance to be able to do just that, it would be a real kick in the stones if we don't beat them, it'll be interesting to see if Stevie is kept on the bench, I see no reason to change the team apart from the Skrtel suspension.

Is there any need for this?

You do enough giving off about Alan and Lloyd and others only posting negative stuff but now when they don't you come out with this?

What exactly do you want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement