Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It just really got my goat when, after being unbelievably ****e for 15 odd games straight, he gave an interview where he said he thought he would be a future captain of Liverpool. That really annoyed me. The twat has to prove he's good enough to get in to the match day squad first and thus far he's failed miserably. Miserably.

I think he also turned a lot of people on Skrtel. While I have pointed out Skrt is not grade A, he has generally played well without Lovren as a partner. He also has pedigree in Liverpool shirt.

I would be playing Skrtel and Sakho as CB pairings with Toure or Can joining in a 3.

Interested to track Illori for next season. Guess Coates is gone, never thought he had it personally. I would sell Lovren at a loss (£13 M odd) and buy another CB.

NukaCola wrote: »
    YNWA indeed......bet he's delighted he made the move.

Lovren has shown he can defend at a very good level, he can do the job effectively if he is in a setup that is coached correctly and has a clear understanding of how to operate in phases and positions. Not gonna happen under Rodgers though. Defence is not his specialty.

I understand you need to have a cohesive system and clear tactics but you also need to be able to do the basics anyway, Lovren is hopeless. His spoof real from this season is unreal. You just have to wonder was Fonte the better man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think its a good move. Origi has struggled the last few months but Lille are a terrible team. It will be good to get him out of there.

We're a terrible team too? :confused:

Tbh, bringing Origi in early isn't a bad thing. As long as it's only a small part of our business in Jan. If he's being brought in as the striker to try & rescue our season & to score the goals we need to try get top 4, then it's a ****ing shocking piece of business.

I fear it's the later & when it becomes clear he isn't at the level we need him to be yet, combined with the huge pressure Rodgers has already heaped on him saying that he'll become world class, bringing him in early etc etc, it'll probably end up another dud signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Bringing Divock Origi to Liverpool in January makes little sense. Paying more money for a player we already own is a desperate move. We need a proven goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Great to see Raheem Sterling will sign a new contract. He has been fantastic and we really needed to keep him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We're a terrible team too? :confused:

Tbh, bringing Origi in early isn't a bad thing. As long as it's only a small part of our business in Jan. If he's being brought in as the striker to try & rescue our season & to score the goals we need to try get top 4, then it's a ****ing shocking piece of business.

I fear it's the later & when it becomes clear he isn't at the level we need him to be yet, combined with the huge pressure Rodgers has already heaped on him saying that he'll become world class, bringing him in early etc etc, it'll probably end up another dud signing.

In agreement, Origi in will be it. Borini's sale will cover Origi.

Don't agree with the pessimistic view on Origi. Let's give him a chance first. The lad has talent. Hopefully he'll be a 60th min+ sub for Sturridge, save Danny's legs.

Of course he isn't the level we need. We just don't have 30m sterling to spend in January, there isn't anything in the kitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augmerson wrote: »
    In agreement, Origi in will be it. Borini's sale will cover Origi.

Don't agree with the pessimistic view on Origi. Let's give him a chance first. The lad has talent. Hopefully he'll be a 60th min+ sub for Sturridge, save Danny's legs.

Of course he isn't the level we need. We just don't have 30m sterling to spend in January, there isn't anything in the kitty.

Why wouldn't there be anything in the kitty?

We spent a lot of money last summer but what was the net spend?

It wasn't big,was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I understand you need to have a cohesive system and clear tactics but you also need to be able to do the basics anyway, Lovren is hopeless. His spoof real from this season is unreal. You just have to wonder was Fonte the better man.

All our CBs have proven they can defend well in different teams both club and country. However when they play for us they dont look their best, this is across the board in our defence.

The common denominator is BR tactics and coaching is not Defence driven. He cant set us up to be solid effectively. We bought an entire new defence but the same problems remain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. Bag of Cement's agent has been in talks with Arsenal all week.

No concrete offer made yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

YNWA indeed......bet he's delighted he made the move.

Lovren has shown he can defend at a very good level, he can do the job effectively if he is in a setup that is coached correctly and has a clear understanding of how to operate in phases and positions. Not gonna happen under Rodgers though. Defence is not his specialty.

Whilst the coaching of the entire defense is way below where it needs to be some of Lovren mistakes are beyond funny. Is he going to need his hand held through every facet of play. If so that's hugely disappointing for a player bought as a leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Whilst the coaching of the entire defense is way below where it needs to be some of Lovren mistakes are beyond funny. Is he going to need his hand held through every facet of play. If so that's hugely disappointing for a player bought as a leader.

I agree. He has been the stand out underperformer in our defence no question. But as i said above he has proven that he can defend well in different teams both club and country. He's still a decent defender, but it seems to be a trend in BR teams that they lose their heads in defence for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Great to see Raheem Sterling will sign a new contract. He has been fantastic and we really needed to keep him.

You Fool!!!!! What have you Done!!!!!!

Why wouldn't there be anything in the kitty?

We spent a lot of money last summer but what was the net spend?

It wasn't big,was it?

Net spend, like when you put Suarez's sale against the signings?

Dunno tbh, I think maybe 20-30m we spent over what we got in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Italian papers are adamant that Shaqiri wants to sign for only Inter. Theres another big deal gone to sh!t and my initial prediction seems to have been right that something would eventually go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Augmerson wrote: »
    Net spend, like when you put Suarez's sale against the signings?

Dunno tbh, I think maybe 20-30m we spent over what we got in?

Yep and that's very small potatoes in today's game.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Italian papers are adamant that Shaqiri wants to sign for only Inter. Theres another big deal gone to sh!t and my initial prediction seems to have been right that something would eventually go wrong

Get a hold of yourself, man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'd say Lallana's arrival put an end to any Shaqiri transfer. There are more important areas of the team that need investment before we look at attacking midfielders now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Did you ever consider supporting Chelsea, its much easier. Liverpool really seems to be a bit of a nuisance to you.

Don't worry, if Liverpool ever win a big one again it will be much sweeter for me than you because, unlike you, I never lost sight of where this club is supposed to be.

• Advertisement

mav79 wrote: »
    I'd say Lallana's arrival put an end to any Shaqiri transfer. There are more important areas of the team that need investment before we look at attacking midfielders now.

I know losing Shaqiri may not be the end of the world but it still highlights an annoying problem that we continue to have time after time that top players will not come to us under any circumstance for whatever reason. Maybe Anfield is a leper colony who knows

Even if it is true, you need to relax he's nothing special and the team is full of ams, I think he's good value at 15m but not gonna stress if he wants to move to somewhere else instead.

I know losing Shaqiri may not be the end of the world but it still highlights an annoying problem that we continue to have time after time that top players will not come to us under any circumstance for whatever reason. Maybe Anfield is a leper colony who knows

It's quite clear that the current set up struggles to convince top players to come to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I would not be one to defend Liverpools transfer policy but Bayern would not sell in the summer so Liverpool moved on and bought Lallana and Markovic. Going back in for him now because he is available is pointless, its central midfield and a striker along with a goalkeeper that is needed, not another attacking midfielder.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't worry, if Liverpool ever win a big one again it will be much sweeter for me than you because, unlike you, I never lost sight of where this club is supposed to be.

Every fan knows where LFC should be. If we get back there it will be in spite of fans like you.

It's quite clear that the current set up struggles to convince top players to come to the club.

In this case I wouldnt use that excuse, we have lost out to a team financially inferior to us so why has that happened? I dont believe he would just chose a midtable team in a much weaker league who are miles off qualifying for europe. Money is what does the talking in football

• Advertisement

Every fan knows where LFC should be. If we get back there it will be in spite of fans like you.

Nonsense.

If Liverpool get back to where they should be it'll be because the owners, management, players start performing at the level needed. Which is all Llyod asks for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

No concrete offer made yet though!

Would be solid in Liverpool all the same.

In this case I wouldnt use that excuse, we have lost out to a team financially inferior to us so why has that happened? I dont believe he would just chose a midtable team in a much weaker league who are miles off qualifying for europe. Money is what does the talking in football

Mancini had a shed loads of trophies under his belt at most teams he's managed.

Add in his glittering playing career.

This kind of thing makes a difference when players look at clubs imo.

I don't think the likes of Rodgers/Ayre have much draw for footballers.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

lol

I think Ayre would have more credibility if he started telling players that the rock down in Australia is his, he made it one weekend with a black and decker. I'd be impressed and sign right up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We didn't 'lose' Shaqiri. Show me one credible source that said we were even in for him? It's all Twitter bollox and getting your knickers in a twist over a rumour is ridiculous. I don't think we even enquired....which is another problem.

All our CBs have proven they can defend well in different teams both club and country. However when they play for us they dont look their best, this is across the board in our defence.

I don't agree. The defence has undoubtedly been poor but Lovren has been clearly massively worse than the other defenders. Sakho has looked pretty good. His slide tackling is very impressive and generally his passing is very crisp. Toure has been generally good/ decent, Skrtel has been pretty good when not paired with Lovren.
    "NukaCola wrote:
    The common denominator is BR tactics and coaching is not Defence driven. He cant set us up to be solid effectively. We bought an entire new defence but the same problems remain.

I agree to an extent but I think we just have to accept that a BR team will always prioritise attack over defence. Attack is the best defence kind of thing. When our attack is buggered, as now, it fecks the system. Obviously we need to improve defensively but the BR ethos is always to win by outplaying the opposition - 'death by football(!)'.

for CB's, BR wants foot forward guys so Lovren seemed to have been a fit but alas no. Sakho fits this model. Agger would have seemed to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We shouldn't be looking for the top players Imo. They are a very small group within the footballing population and we won't compete against the top clubs or Arsenal to get them, however below them is a larger group of very good footballers with the potential to move into the top group, or at least maintain that very good level during their time at the club. Suarez would typify the strategy, obviously a very good player before signing, was immense for the team, and left for a huge profit having been the best player to grace the league. Obviously we would be unlikely to see that level very often but even someone like Lallana (who I was against signing) fits the mould in that he will come in and not improve greatly but be a solid player for 3-4 years. Although if we had some people involved with a bit of knowledge of the leagues outside England we could pick up better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gafferino wrote: »

Article fails to mention it was also free hotdog day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Article fails to mention it was also free hotdog day.

I hope someone told Reina.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We shouldn't be looking for the top players Imo. They are a very small group within the footballing population and we won't compete against the top clubs or Arsenal to get them, however below them is a larger group of very good footballers with the potential to move into the top group, or at least maintain that very good level during their time at the club. Suarez would typify the strategy, obviously a very good player before signing, was immense for the team, and left for a huge profit having been the best player to grace the league. Obviously we would be unlikely to see that level very often but even someone like Lallana (who I was against signing) fits the mould in that he will come in and not improve greatly but be a solid player for 3-4 years. Although if we had some people involved with a bit of knowledge of the leagues outside England we could pick up better value.

People aren't asking to sign players the level of Messi, Bale, Ronaldo etc.

People are only asking we sign players at the level Suarez was at when we signed him. You're under-selling what that level was. It was far far far ahead of the likes of Lallana.

Top class, potentially world class is what we should be aiming for.

We've not done that at all over the last couple of years. We've signed average/decent with maybe the potential to be good/very good.

Nonsense.

If Liverpool get back to where they should be it'll be because the owners, management, players start performing at the level needed. Which is all Llyod asks for.

You spout pure garbage.

Obviously to get back to the top everyone at the club needs to be preforming at a very high level. But coming on here and being overly critical and negative doesn't help anyone.

You spout pure garbage.

Obviously to get back to the top everyone at the club needs to be preforming at a very high level. But coming on here and being overly critical and negative doesn't help anyone.

I don't think heaping praise or criticism on a discussion board makes a difference either way

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I agree to an extent but I think we just have to accept that a BR team will always prioritise attack over defence. Attack is the best defence kind of thing. When our attack is buggered, as now, it fecks the system. Obviously we need to improve defensively but the BR ethos is always to win by outplaying the opposition - 'death by football(!)'.

Has a team ever won the CL or PL without a good/very good defence?

We will never win anything if Rodgers can't get a defence functioning properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You spout pure garbage.

Glossing over failures doesn't help anyone either. Certain things need to be said.

You spout pure garbage.

No one is being overly critical.

We've been so bad this year I'm not sure what would constitute "overly" critical.

Look at the spine of our team.

GK, CB, CM and CF

It's weak right the way through this season for the first time in quite a while.

Need to rectify at least 2 of them asap

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Look at the spine of our team.

GK, CB, CM and CF

It's weak right the way through this season for the first time in quite a while.

Need to rectify at least 2 of them asap

We're getting substantially worse. Despite Rodgers spending a quarter of a billion pound on players. Scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Antonio Barragan. Full back I wouldn't mind seeing return. Having a good season for Valencia

I'm not saying we can't have a good defence, I am saying people need to accept that a BR team is built to defend from the front and that is in terms of attack, attack and overwhelm teams. 'Death by football'.

That is the reality whether we like it or not. I like it but we need the players for it which we currently do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ilori picked up another injury today and was subbed off, 3rd injury of the season for him. It's going great

We're getting substantially worse. Despite Rodgers spending a quarter of a billion pound on players. Scary.

Most of the players will come good.

Sturridge, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, Can, Sakho, Moreno - good players.

Need another top CB, top striker, top keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Let's talk net spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A commanding goalkeeper x2

The defenders aren't as bad as they look..... Good coaching needed.

The central midfield is weak...A commanding central midfielder is needed.

Attacking midfield is ok.

The foward line is weak very weak....Two top class goal scorers are needed as Sturridge is guaranteed to be fit for full seasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement