Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rob316 wrote: »
    Begovic is a keeper I really rate, he is strong, vocal and an excellent shot stopper. He is who we should have went for instead of the timid Mignolet in the first place. He would have cost about 5m more but once again we took the cheap option and have paid for it.

Mignolet is a good shot stopper too. We need more than that.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Plus, he accurately lobs the ball from kick offs onto the chest of Jonny Walters up on the right wing 10 times a game so the assumption would be that he can use the ball well. :)

How's his short passing game and receiving the ball under pressure? And if we don't go for Walters too, I don't know who he will be lobbing the ball to on the right wing.

The one thing I miss about Reina was his quick release to set up counter attacks. Don't have that with Mig. Whether he is too timid to try it or people aren't making the runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I didn't think he was a Liverpool fan, its probably a spoof. Anyways he'd cost a fortune.

B47HLmvCYAAAD3E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    How's his short passing game and receiving the ball under pressure? And if we don't go for Walters too, I don't know who he will be lobbing the ball to on the right wing.

We don't know, there is no data. He plays for Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Decent manager and all but has anyone ever called Rafa their hero? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liam O wrote: »

MrAlan

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liam O wrote: »

I prefer the term 'messiah' myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I didn't think he was a Liverpool fan, its probably a spoof. Anyways he'd cost a fortune.

B47HLmvCYAAAD3E.jpg

Carragher (via his twitter account) says we should get him for 12m. Don't know what he's smoking to be fair, Everton wouldn't sell us a signed barkley shirt for 12m.

Would be the ideal signing, can't see it happening sadly. At this stage I think we need upgrades on Lucas & Allen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Carragher (via his twitter account) says we should get him for 12m. Don't know what he's smoking to be fair, Everton wouldn't sell us a signed barkley shirt for 12m.

Would be the ideal signing, can't see it happening sadly. At this stage I think we need upgrades on Lucas & Allen too.

These English players are overpriced....

Lallana wasn't worth 27m. Not the colour of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Maybe he's smoking the top banter pipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Carra is just winding up the blues on twitter as usual. I'm amazed how many people have taken that seriously since.

• Advertisement

Dayum wrote: »

He didn't cost 27m but ya, he isn't and wasn't worth what we paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

NukaCola wrote: »
    He didn't cost 27m but ya, he isn't and wasn't worth what we paid.

Rarely has a Liverpool player been worth the money we forked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It wouldn't be like Jamie Carragher to say something to wind up the Everton fans. :)

Vicxas wrote: »

Recent times anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I honestly do believe every club over pays for a player . You look at some of the fees players are going for now and it's nuts .

Barkley is decent but completely over rated. He's probably as effective as Shelvey is but with a better footballing brain and a better player overall, however he doesn't really stamp his authority on a game enough. 20m + he certainly is not but I'm sure a Man City or a Chelsea would be stupid enough to spend that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

I'd go back and pay more for all of those players tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

NukaCola wrote: »
    Barkley is decent but completely over rated. He's probably as effective as Shelvey is but with a better footballing brain and a better player overall, however he doesn't really stamp his authority on a game enough. 20m + he certainly is not but I'm sure a Man City or a Chelsea would be stupid enough to spend that kind of money.
    But what about the potential :o

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

The only downside to that is the fact that those transfers happened in the last 10 years or so .
    I don't care how small or big a fee once the player proves their worth and has a great career for LFC .
    The big thing that all those players had in common is the fact they gave their all for LFC . The club needs to start signing like that again . People like ballotelli seem to only in it for themselves and LFC need better then that .

• Advertisement

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

Cracking team that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Luis Garcia for 6m was money well spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think it's absolutely laughable that we're paying to bring him back early. Lille may be struggling and the team might not be setup perfectly for him blah, blah but it's very desperate altogether to throw him into the fray when the team is performing poorly imo.

Playing with Sterling as a striker is pretty damning when we've 4 CF's in the squad costing near £50 Million.

My suspicion is we wont see a new CF signing until the Summer and Mario is on his way out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Lallana has scored 4 goals in 14 PL appearances, extrapulated to a season that's 10 goals a season territory, if he scores that and performs to the level he's been at since getting match fit over the next 3/4 seasons than in my book he was worth what he cost :)

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

You forgot Sturridge and Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I liked this bit from Neil Atkinson's article on Gerrard:
    There’s no cheat here. There’s no magic formula. You can’t even solve the problem by throwing money (we don’t have) at it. Chelsea haven’t replaced Lampard’s goals from midfield. They have all the money in the world and a ton of lads on loan. You find a new way, not look to replicate an old one. We won’t be replacing this Gerrard. That’s the reality. It’s OK though. Because no one else will be cloning him either.

Rest of it's here: http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/01/steven-gerrard-replacing-legend/

• Advertisement

Liverpool Echo reporting that Origi is carrying a groin injury, not too serious they reckon.

He had an MRI scan on the injury today.

Gbear wrote: »
    I liked this bit from Neil Atkinson's article on Gerrard:

Rest of it's here: http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/01/steven-gerrard-replacing-legend/

Thats why this season has been tough to watch at times because the players at times aren't really sure what's going on at all . Br needs to bring a system in and go with for the rest of the season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Luis Garcia for 6m was money well spent

Great return in terms of crucial goals, for sure.

No surprise the majority of those are Rafa signings?

Dickerty wrote: »
    Great return in terms of crucial goals, for sure.

No surprise the majority of those are Rafa signings?

Rafa was the type of manager if he got it right with a player he got it right !!! If it went wrong it went horribly wrong !!!

He signed players more often than not based on their mentality. Strong minded players.

Didn't always work out mind you but it's impossible to get it 100% right with every player. With those players we were never really beaten until the whistle went.

• Advertisement

Thats why this season has been tough to watch at times because the players at times aren't really sure what's going on at all . Br needs to bring a system in and go with for the rest of the season .

Last season, we changed formation and strategy almost every other game during our winning run. Confidence plays a big part...

Sturridge ............. 25 year old English Striker...... bought for £12m two years ago
    2012–13
    Premier League
    14 app
    10 goals

2013–14
    Premier League
    29 app
    21 goals

Even considering the injury record etc it looks like a fantastic return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Can someone tell me why BBC MOTD are tweeting 'live' from the FA cup final between Liverpool and Wimbledon from in 1988

No Liverpool fan wants to hear about it and Im sure any Wimbledon fans have enjoyed that game plenty of times. Its all a bit weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can someone tell me why BBC MOTD are tweeting 'live' from the FA cup final between Liverpool and Wimbledon from in 1988

No Liverpool fan wants to hear about it and Im sure any Wimbledon fans have enjoyed that game plenty of times. Its all a bit weird

Didn't they do same with some other meaningless game last season?

Dickerty wrote: »
    Last season, we changed formation and strategy almost every other game during our winning run. Confidence plays a big part...

The thing about last season was the fact the manager had time to work with the players before games to get the formantions right . This season you really did need to go with one or two formations .
    The amount of games compared to last year is a lot more .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He signed players more often than not based on their mentality. Strong minded players.

That's what I worry about when it comes to our squad.

It feels like we've bought players that have the "we've made it" attitude. That just getting the opportunity at Liverpool is their ceiling when it should be Liverpool + working your ****ing balls off + trophies.

The thing about last season was the fact the manager had time to work with the players before games to get the formantions right . This season you really did need to go with one or two formations .
    The amount of games compared to last year is a lot more .

Only 6 more than last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Only 6 more than last year...

So far.

Didn't always work out mind you but it's impossible to get it 100% right with every player. With those players we were never really beaten until the whistle went.

Never really won anything big with those players either tho. The 05cl was before benitez put his stamp on the team.

That is where someone like Toure and Lucas have helped on recent form. They get a game and they just play. No perceived pressure, like Lambert or Johnson would be under.

Would like to see us get Milner for a similar reason. He's just gets on with the job...

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    So far.

Well I can't see UEFA letting Liverpool compete in the last 16 of the Champions League, can you?

Well I can't see UEFA letting Liverpool compete in the last 16 of the Champions League, can you?

Europa League Dayum old boy ;)

Ah Europa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

There's this other thing called the Europa League...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augeo wrote: »
    Europa League Dayum old boy ;)

Plus at least 5 league cup games vs 2 last year. We also only played 2 FA Cup matches last year, so even if we get knocked out in the next round of every cup (quite possible although I'd hope we can beat Wimbledon), we'd have played 10 more games this season than last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Europa league isn't well known in Brazil.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Romance of the cup innit?

Wimbledon played far above the sum of their parts for years of course (not to mention their budget), but at the end of the day this was a team that finished 6th in the 1st division beating the team who finished 1st in the 1st division, and who had also won at Anfield the previous season. It's not like they were a 3rd tier side or anything. It'd be like Southampton beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final this year. They would be underdogs for sure, but not massive outsiders. I was going to use Spurs as an example but in terms of disparity of budgets Southampton are a better fit, although still not Wimbledon scale.

Never really won anything big with those players either tho. The 05cl was before benitez put his stamp on the team.

Those Champions League runs and another CL final in 2007 which is so often forgotten about. You're right in saying maybe we should have won some more trophies but we were very unfortunate in some of the finals we lost. Actually thinking about it the one's we should have won, we lost. The one's we had no right to win, we won. Quite strange that

But also we're talking about the general mentality within the team that anyone coming to Anfield would have to work the gulag to get a result against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumoured starting Lineup for tonight:

Mignolet

Skrtel - Can - Sakho

Markovic - Manquillo

Lucas - Gerrard

Coutinho - Lallana - Lambert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

Doni m8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement