Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Those Champions League runs and another CL final in 2007 which is so often forgotten about. You're right in saying maybe we should have won some more trophies but we were very unfortunate in some of the finals we lost. Actually thinking about it the one's we should have won, we lost. The one's we had no right to win, we won. Quite strange that

But also we're talking about the general mentality within the team that anyone coming to Anfield would have to work the gulag to get a result against us.

It goes both ways tho, IMO Rafa had the players but he didn't trust them to play football, He played with so much fear at times even against weaker teams, if teams came to anfield set up right and looking for a point they had a good chance of getting it. The 2009 loss was more tragic than last year because at least last year we went down fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    You forgot Sturridge and Coutinho
    Augeo wrote: »
    Sturridge ............. 25 year old English Striker...... bought for £12m two years ago
    2012–13
    Premier League
    14 app
    10 goals

2013–14
    Premier League
    29 app
    21 goals

Even considering the injury record etc it looks like a fantastic return on investment.

That wasn't a political list btw. We've debated our FSG business ad nauseum on here. I just wanted to point out that over the past decade or so we've made some absolutely brilliant signings as a club. £7.5m got us both of Riise and Finnan for example, a brilliant fullback pairing that managed 446 appearances in all comps between them during the half decade of 2003 - 2008 during which we went to two CL finals. £7.5m to give you a half decade of elite fullback play (Riise had two great seasons before Finnan joined also). Not too shabby.

We have done brilliant in the transfer market in the past. Let's hope we can do so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Dayum wrote: »
    Only 6 more than last year...

Add another 2 to that with the league cup semi . The good thing is BR hasn't cried about fixture congestion ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dayum wrote: »
    Well I can't see UEFA letting Liverpool compete in the last 16 of the Champions League, can you?

I'm embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can everyone please please please stop quoting Dayum and giving him the attention he wants and needs.

So we seem to be linked heavily with bringing Origi back along with Shaqiri & Neto would everyone be happy with just those in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lallana out for a month apparently

Can everyone please please please stop quoting Dayum and giving him the attention he wants and needs.

He actually makes me miss my ould pal and sweet heart willyboy .

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That wasn't a political list btw. .......... .

I know that :)
    We have done brilliant in the transfer market in the past. Let's hope we can do so again.

Indeed, I just think that Sturridge as a signing has been overwhelmingly brilliant and his efforts so far alone in a Liverpool jersey have covered transfer fee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

klose wrote: »

Ya just when he was starting to show what he can do. :(

:(

One of my favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya just when he was starting to show what he can do. :(

Yeah big blow alright, probably means markovic gets to play a bit further forward now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaqiri in as replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Right, need to get this off me chest, been annoying me for years but with the game tonight it's been brought up quite a lot.

This Vinnie Jones tackle on McMahon in the 88 Cup Final, they (especially Jones) goes on about he 'did' McMahon in the first minute, how that was the catalyst for victory, how the Liverpool players were intimidated, how McMahon was shook after it.

Complete bollocks! If you actually watch the tackle, yes Jones flies in and catches McMahon but watch the reaction. McMahon get up straight away and walks off, no limp, no grimace. It's as if his reaction was saying to Jones, "You call that a tackle?" I'm sick to death of it being brought up, Wimbledon got lucky on the day (like we did in '01) but fair play to them, it was their moment.

But my God the bull**** they talk about is nauseating. Rant over! :p

Tackle is here https://vine.co/v/OdUtbIaD6XU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

It goes both ways tho, IMO Rafa had the players but he didn't trust them to play football, He played with so much fear at times even against weaker teams, if teams came to anfield set up right and looking for a point they had a good chance of getting it. The 2009 loss was more tragic than last year because at least last year we went down fighting.

It was Rafa's philosophy and you're perfectly correct in saying sometimes it was quite frustrating, however looking back on it now more often than not we'd get the result. It wasn't very often we were well beaten and it comes back to his philosophy of having strong minded characters to grind them out.

I remember we played Rafa's 'crushing machine' Valencia team and boy was that a long night. It was something he tried to replicate with us and to be honest there were times when we did just suck the life out of teams, unfortunately it wasn't something he could always pull off in the league but in Europe we sat at the top table. He was and still is a trophy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Lallanna out for a month

kfallon wrote: »
    ..... they (especially Jones) goes on about he 'did' McMahon in the first minute, how that was the catalyst for victory, how the Liverpool players were intimidated, how McMahon was shook after it.

Complete bollocks!.............It's as if his reaction was saying to Jones, "You call that a tackle?"..............

Indeed, I agree 100 %.

Vinny Jones has carved a career out of this hardman nonsense, a career as an actor though, he looks the part to some.

When he was in Cork making a film a lad I know was his bodyguard, in the flesh there isn't much to Vinny, he's tall but I reckon he couldn't drop a hard sh1te, no shoulders, no neck. Would love to see him in some white collar boxing or some rubbish like that.

Giles, Viera or Keane would split him in two with a tackle, even now I reckon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

kfallon wrote: »
    Right, need to get this off me chest, been annoying me for years but with the game tonight it's been brought up quite a lot.

This Vinnie Jones tackle on McMahon in the 88 Cup Final, they (especially Jones) goes on about he 'did' McMahon in the first minute, how that was the catalyst for victory, how the Liverpool players were intimidated, how McMahon was shook after it.

Complete bollocks! If you actually watch the tackle, yes Jones flies in and catches McMahon but watch the reaction. McMahon get up straight away and walks off, no limp, no grimace. It's as if his reaction was saying to Jones, "You call that a tackle?" I'm sick to death of it being brought up, Wimbledon got lucky on the day (like we did in '01) but fair play to them, it was their moment.

Tackle is here https://vine.co/v/OdUtbIaD6XU

You must have been listening to off the ball podcast!

I'm sorry but that post has annoyed me . Rafas team fought like dogs that season . They where never beaten until the final whistle . 4-1 at old trafford , 4 - 4 at Stamford brigde , 4 - 4 at anfield against arsenal . 3 - 2 against Portsmouth and the 2 - 0 against Chelsea . Rafas team that season was brilliant and it could have got better if the club wasn't broke . If he had of been backed with funds he could have done it . It also says a lot when ferguson had a go at you in the media .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The fairytale of the cup, the media love a good cup upset and rightly so. You cant beat a top flight favourite getting knocked out of the cup (our in our unfortunate case, the final) by a minnow.

Yeah but that was one filthy, calculated and nasty tackle. Jones was always a knacker.

Mc Mahon was some man to tackle too. I'd say that only tickled him.

Hard as nails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gafferino wrote: »
    You must have been listening to off the ball podcast!

I haven't, did they say the same!
    Never listen to Off The Ball or watch that Second Captains shíte tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It was a different time - a great time that we prolly didn't all appreciate as much as we should, 1999 -> 2009. We were a tough uncompromising team that rarely suffered a bad defeat and often pulled off results the bookies thought fanciful before kickoff. We weren't pretty or fluid though and didn't win the big one (though we won everything else).

I'd take another 10 years like it off you right now if you were offering. :(

But it isn't on offer so...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sorry but that post has annoyed me . Rafas team fought like dogs that season . They where never beaten until the final whistle . 4-1 at old trafford , 4 - 4 at Stamford brigde , 4 - 4 at anfield against arsenal . 3 - 2 against Portsmouth and the 2 - 0 against Chelsea . Rafas team that season was brilliant and it could have got better if the club wasn't broke . If he had of been backed with funds he could have done it . It also says a lot when ferguson had a go at you in the media .

Winning 10 out of your last 11 games in the league doesn't count as going down fighting apparently either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lallanna out for a month

Such a pity as he was starting to show a bit of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    Winning 10 out of your last 11 games in the league doesn't count as going down fighting apparently either.

Or the 11 in a row last season either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Who's the sorry soul that's going to start the match thread.

It was a different time - a great time that we prolly didn't all appreciate as much as we should, 1999 -> 2009. We were a tough uncompromising team that rarely suffered a bad defeat and often pulled off results the bookies thought fanciful before kickoff. We weren't pretty or fluid though and didn't win the big one (though we won everything else).

I'd take another 10 years like it off you right now if you were offering. :(

But it isn't on offer so...

If we could manage a trophy this season I'd be chuffed tbh.

Preference would be for Europa naturally but I'd take anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

K-9 wrote: »
    Or the 11 in a row last season either.

That's an implosion apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

NukaCola wrote: »
    He really isn't. Both are awful but Jones is probably one of the worst goalkeepers in LFC history. I'd start Mignolet over him every single game.

And Jones has cost liverpool between 10/15 million in fee and wages incredible to think

• Advertisement

And Jones has cost liverpool between 10/15 million in fee and wages incredible to think

To be fair he lost his young son during that period it would have been pretty classless of the club to say 'oh yeah by the way we'll have to let you go'.

That being said this could well be his final year here but he has never let this club down in his time with us and I sincerely wish him all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He was signed under a previous regime which was known for pissing away money on wages. Johnson 120k, Jovanovic 90k, Joe Cole 90k, Maxi 90k all really terrible.

rob316 wrote: »
    He was signed under a previous regime which was known for pissing away money on wages. Johnson 120k, Jovanovic 90k, Joe Cole 90k, Maxi 90k all really terrible.

Thought he was the business to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

To be fair he lost his young son during that period it would have been pretty classless of the club to say 'oh yeah by the way we'll have to let you go'.

That being said this could well be his final year here but he has never let this club down in his time with us and I sincerely wish him all the best

What does this mean exactly? "Never let the club down".....what constitutes letting the club down?

Off field behaviour? Surely Suarez massively let the club down if that's the case. Or is it purely how the perform on the pitch? That must be it because most of the fans and club loved Suarez regardless of all the crap he did....because he was a brilliant performer.

I could accept that to be the case only for the fact that Jones has been awful on the pitch. Surely he has let the club down by being rubbish, conceding goals and costing the club points/money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought he was the business to be honest.

Liked Maxi myself but the waste goes back to the last year or 2 of Rafa, nobody mentions Aquilani anymore!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kirby wrote: »
    What does this mean exactly? "Never let the club down".....what constitutes letting the club down?

Off field behaviour? Surely Suarez massively let the club down if that's the case. Or is it purely how the perform on the pitch? I could accept that to be the case only for the fact that Jones has been awful on the pitch.

Surely he has let the club down by being rubbish, conceding goals and costing the club points/money.

I didn't say he was the world's best goalkeeper did I? It is his attitude that meant he never let the club down. The club supported him through his troubles and acted with class by not letting him go.

Suarez did let the club down.

• Advertisement

The club supported him through his troubles and acted with class by not letting him go.

Yeah but all of that means the club never let him down.

I don't want to start an argument but its just one of those sayings that just perplexes me. A bit like "not that type of player"....you hear it and just roll your eyes.

Jones might be a great guy but he's a rubbish player and that is what the club employs him for....to be a good footballer. And if you are taking a wage and then being a bit crap, you are letting the club down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Liked Maxi myself but the waste goes back to the last year or 2 of Rafa, nobody mentions Aquilani anymore!
    Hey! That guy was unreal against Portsmouth once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I thought Rafa did no wrong? :confused:

Up there with the worst transfers ever.

Not just the initial transfer but the clusterfcuk of loan deals after it

I thought Rafa did no wrong? :confused:

The man did and made bad decisions at times with players but at the end of the day he had the clubs best intrests at heart . The way he fought against the cowboys was admirable .
    I do think the current manager has that also and I hope things work out for him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Home draws vs Stoke, Fulham, west ham, and hull is where we lost it had we set out on the front foot and played with less fear against weaker teams we would have the title. That team was full of class I'm not sure more money would have made much difference.

The man did and made bad decisions at times with players but at the end of the day he had the clubs best intrests at heart . The way he fought against the cowboys was admirable .
    I do think the current manager has that also and I hope things work out for him .

It would be.....until you realise he has argued with the hierarchy at every single club he has been at. He's a political animal. It's what he does anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

To be fair, my comment was very tongue in cheek :)
    Rafa did a great job when here, and at Valencia before him. I just think Rafa should ever realistically be considered as a man to come back and sort out our woes.
    It would be like going back with an ex, always remember there was a reason they are an ex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

How much a week would jones be on?
    2nd choice keeper is a fairy handy job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're still probably recovering from losing Alonso, Arebeloa, Hyypia and Mascherano in a matter of months, and not adequately replacing them.

Loads of reasons as to why we didn't at the time, Hicks & Gillette and our money issues being the forefront of those, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is the game on TV tonight then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

How much a week would jones be on?
    2nd choice keeper is a fairy handy job

And that's his biggest problem, attitude..a guy who is more than happy to sit on the bench has no place at the club.

A nice chap by all accounts but his time must be up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Suarez
    Torres
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Reina
    Alonso
    Hamman
    Finnan
    Riise
    Hyppia

I'd go back and pay more for all of those players tbh.

I long for the days when we had so many stars like the above in the team at the same time. I can only imagine what it must be like for those here that experienced the true glory days of the past!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is the game on TV tonight then ?

AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool
    7.55pm, Monday 5 January 2015
    Live on BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

no match thread!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement