Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Thought Sakho did well tonight,got up well and won a few headers when under pressure at the back stick

He did and is quality on the ball, at times. That cross field first half ball:eek: Could do with a calm head beside him though as he can go AWOL. Lovren definitely not the answer and Skrtel too similar to himself.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Liverpool won't fall away without Gerrard, in fact I reckon the next 10'years will be more successful than the last ten..........

I concur :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon Mignolet has some personal issues, an ill parent or relative...........addicted to gambling or brassers maybe, there's something wrong anyway.

The Wimbledon goal was effectively due to him coming for a ball and not getting it, should have punched it towards half way line or anywhere at all not goal bound. Poor decision to try and catch it in a crowded area with physically imposing types about.

The silver lining is he should be easily improved upon.
    I would agree with that. Does'nt look with it at all. Feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Think Akinfenwa is big? That's Razor Ruddock beside him.

B6nb8T3CcAAtjoE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Wonder if Stevie might stay if he begins to thrive when playing a bit higher up the pitch......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

PRAF wrote: »
    Wonder if Stevie might stay if he begins to thrive when playing a bit higher up the pitch......

Back on loan next Jan anyway I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Think Akinfenwa is big? That's Razor Ruddock beside him.

B6nb8T3CcAAtjoE.png

**** the bag of cement, razor may be the answer!

Think Akinfenwa is big? That's Razor Ruddock beside him.....

:D

Akinfenwa is under 6 foot and 16 stone, that's not huge to be fair :)
    Ruddock is in bits though, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I reckon Mignolet has some personal issues, an ill parent or relative...........addicted to gambling or brassers maybe, there's something wrong

Dave Beasent seems to agree.
    https://vine.co/v/OdQJBwtrQFB

:D Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lazar, Razor and then Quasar.

:D

Akinfenwa is under 6 foot and 16 stone, that's not huge to be fair :)
    Ruddock is in bits though, no doubt.

If you're a rugby player maybe but a footballer?

Still looked more mobile than Lambert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Let's say we bring back Origi as our Striker Option, but we do bring in a Top GK in January, would you Guys be Happy?

Or would you rather have say Lacazette, and then Stay with Migs as GK until the Summer?

Of course I would like to have both a Striker (Not Origi) and a GK, in January. But if I have to Choose only 1, I think the 1st Option would have more Impact in our remaining Games this Season.

I feel like we're starting to find our Groove, and we're finally Scoring. Which wasn't the Case early on in the Season. So even having someone as Raw as Origi there, would only Bolster our Attack.

With that in mind, I think getting an Upgrade on our Keeper Situation, would be the better Priority over a Striker. I think our Defense would be more Solid, if we had a Commanding GK there instead of Migs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good to see Gerrard with a smile after the game. It actually looks like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, knowing he's moving on.

He was great tonight but I think in the long run, he just cant compete in this young side by defending from the front. Having quick, energetic attackers seems to relieve pressure on our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

brevity wrote: »

Bad news. Always bewildered why he wasn't given any real chances when we've spent huge money on not dis-similar types of players (Lallana).

Suspect letting him go will be one we end up regretting.

Let's say we bring back Origi as our Striker Option, but we do bring in a Top GK in January, would you Guys be Happy?

Or would you rather have say Lacazette, and then Stay with Migs as GK until the Summer?

Of course I would like to have both a Striker (Not Origi) and a GK, in January. But if I have to Choose only 1, I think the 1st Option would have more Impact in our remaining Games this Season.

I feel like we're starting to find our Groove, and we're finally Scoring. Which wasn't the Case early on in the Season. So even having someone as Raw as Origi there, would only Bolster our Attack.

With that in mind, I think getting an Upgrade on our Keeper Situation, would be the better Priority over a Striker. I think our Defense would be more Solid, if we had a Commanding GK there instead of Migs.

If it's one or the other(hopefully not) then it's a keeper for me. It's beyond a joke now.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Bad news. Always bewildered why he wasn't given any real chances when we've spent huge money on not dis-similar types of players (Lallana).

Suso? Meh...another player that seemed to get better the less he played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is there any decision that the club makes that you don't find wrong.

Suso might be similar to Lallana but maybe he's not as good and if anything I'd trust the management of the club more on this as they seem him everyday than internet posters.

Same thing was said when Shelvey left and he has hardly set the world alight.

Not good enough unfortunetly. He was poor at Almeria last season. Lacks pace & strength & defensively poor. Lallana is a better player easily than Suso.

New keeper would be very important, we definitely need some sort of competition for Mig.

If Origi does come in, then I'd still want a proven goal scorer with pace to take the place of Mario.

Perfect window would be Jones, Balotelli and either Borini/Lambert gone. With Keeper, Origi and Striker coming in.

I trust Rodgers etc to decide who to keep and who to let go.
    I've no problem with Suso leaving, also it's best for Suso himself. He got some first team games, got a loan move and is seemingly moving on, can't keep 'em all :)

I've no problem with Suso leaving, also it's best for Suso himself. He got some first team games, got a loan move and is seemingly moving on, can't keep 'em all :)
    Don't think its a good move for him though. Don't see him being a regular at Milan.

Hmmm...he's definitely testing my patience lately.

As someone who has Watched every Game of him in Almeria, Lallana is Miles better currently than Suso.

Sure, he may Develop to become an even Better Player than Lallana, but Sadly it won't be with us.

Because according to Reports, even though we want him to Stay as a Liverpool Player, Suso will not Sign a Contract/Extension with us, unless he's guaranteed Playing Time.

Because according to Reports, even though we want him to Stay as a Liverpool Player, Suso will not Sign a Contract/Extension with us, unless he's guaranteed Playing Time.

Sounds familiar.

Sounds familiar.

But hardly the same.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    But hardly the same.

Yup.

Suso still needs Development. I don't know how he'll get that with Milan, but Good Luck to him all the same.

As much Flak as Shelvey gets around here, he's actually Better than Suso right now. And no one's here Clamoring we get him back from Swansea.

Shelvey has more Game Impact and Visibility. Suso has a Tendency to go Missing alot of Time. Even worse, he's Lackadaisical when his Team doesn't have the Ball.

And as Unbelievable as it Sounds, Shelvey is actually better Defensively. :eek:

If you don't Believe me, go look at the Yellows/Reds Suso has for Almeria. Remember, he Plays there as a Winger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard, Johnson, Suso, Borini are going Lucas, Balotelli & Jones will probably go as well and I would say Mignolet will go thats 8 players leaving at the end of the season.

So 2 keepers needed 2 midfielders needed and 2 strikers needed.

After spending £100m+ last summer and still needing 6+ players is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It take Shelvey back. But as Carragher said, he's not lacking in ability, but his temper couldn't be controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Liverpool won't fall away without Gerrard, in fact I reckon the next 10'years will be more successful than the last ten.
    Bookmark this and we can see who's right in ten years, as I assume we will all still be here in ten years on our 50 millionth super thread.
    ]

That's a big claim. For that to happen we'll have to win at least one league title and a cup. Or a CL and a couple of Fa cups. Or about 5 FA cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Gerrard, Johnson, Suso, Borini are going Lucas, Balotelli & Jones will probably go as well and I would say Mignolet will go thats 8 players leaving at the end of the season.

Speculative madness to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Morzadec wrote: »
    Kind of see Enrique being able to fill in for Sakho in this system (not really a normal left or centre back in this role).

Moreno could come in for Markovic in the wide left position.

Would prefer to see Moreno on the pitch to Markvoic tbh

too small, you still need big men at the back imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Johnson doesn't need to be replaced. We currently have 2 rbs, 3 more who can cover there or play wing back and Wisdom to come back.
    Jones will be replaced by Mig or we'll get a cheap keeper to replace both and someone more established as number 1.

Origi and possibly Ibe will come back in as well.

Given the game time he's getting I doubt Lucas will leave.

It really isn't that grim.

Over the next 2 windows we need 1 top attacker, 1 top midfielder and 1 top keeper. We might get more but it'll just be a question of shuffling squad players around and won't have a huge effect on quality or cost much.

At this stage, we should be looking to Ibe, Wisdom, Rossiter and the likes for depth over the next 18 months and focus all our efforts on players who'll walk into the team.

Gbear wrote: »
    Johnson doesn't need to be replaced. We currently have 2 rbs, 3 more who can cover there or play wing back and Wisdom to come back.
    Jones will be replaced by Mig or we'll get a cheap keeper to replace both and someone more established as number 1.

Origi and possibly Ibe will come back in as well.

Given the game time he's getting I doubt Lucas will leave.

It really isn't that grim.

Over the next 2 windows we need 1 top attacker, 1 top midfielder and 1 top keeper. We might get more but it'll just be a question of shuffling squad players around and won't have a huge effect on quality or cost much.

At this stage, we should be looking to Ibe, Wisdom, Rossiter and the likes for depth over the next 18 months and focus all our efforts on players who'll walk into the team.

Yes we have enough defenders for now.

The form of and the way Mignolet was dropped there is no way he will stay as a number 2 and Jones is not good enough.. So 2 keepers are needed.

Gerrard is going Lucas may stay but 2 experienced midfielders are needed to be honest another DM to compete with Lucas and a Box to Box midfielder.

Borini is going Lambert isn't any good and Balotelli isn't been used to his strenghts so will more than likely go. That leaves Sturridge and an inexperienced Origi... So 2 strikers are needed One top class if Sturridge gets injured again and to challenge him for a starting place and one with more experience than Origi.

So 6 players is how I see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

HARVEY NORMAN SUMMER SALE

HAAAAARVEY NOOOOOORMNAAAAAAAN

The money spent was clearly needed to beef up a squad that was very thin, we got rid of plenty of players that were clearly not up to our standard. I know we replaced such players with unproven players, but I have to agree with the transition. These new players are all in their early 20s and look like they can become very good players.

Some signings haven't worked out and wont work out but thats always going to happen but the latest crop are really starting to show some promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Gbear wrote: »

Over the next 2 windows we need 1 top top attacker, 1 top top midfielder and 1 top top keeper.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That move was known since the summer/September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

You're being conservative there. Toure and Flanagan have contracts which expire in the summer also. Assaidi, Coates and Skrtel have contracts which expire in 2016.

At a minimum I expect 10 players to be gone in the summer:
    Assaidi, Borini, Coates, Flanagan, Gerrard, Johnson, Jones, Lucas, Suso & Toure.

Realistically, Balotelli and Skrtel will be gone too if there are offers for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Talisman wrote: »
    You're being conservative there. Toure and Flanagan have contracts which expire in the summer also. Assaidi, Coates and Skrtel have contracts which expire in 2016.

Assaidi, Borini, Coates, Flanagan, Gerrard, Johnson, Jones, Lucas, Suso & Toure.

Realistically, Balotelli and Skrtel will be gone too if there are offers for them.

Flanagan is a very good young defender, why would be left go. He started most of last season

Jones, Toure and Lucas are experienced heads, no reason to let them go either. They all know they won't be starting every game and aren't earning a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Talisman wrote: »

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I want to see a pic of him trying it on :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why would we let Flanagan go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also, there's simply no way to defend the club's transfer policy (I'll keep this general rather than focussing on the manager) if we have mass squad turnover this summer - the 7th window into this managerial regime. The fact that we're as holey as we are squad wise during the 6th window is also damning.

The argument around transfers here so often becomes a poo flinging contest about money / wages / FFP but no matter what your strategy, the key objectives of a transfer policy remain the same:

- build a balanced squad with enough depth to see you through a season accepting that injuries and suspensions occur;
    - build a core best eleven that can push the club to its competitive goals;

This is Rodger's 6th window and FSG's 9th. Any argument that the above two criteria are being consistently achieved is pure folly imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think the squad is balanced, we have enough players in each position. We have 4 good strikers on our books.
    The problem is quality, where we lose Sturridge and no-one steps up, and we end up playing Sterling there (who I happen to think will be BRILLIANT behind Danny).

But then I look around the league, and there are only 2 teams who have achieved both obver the last 3/4 seasons. United are spending massively to try and plug gaps, and still have some work to do. Arsenal and Spurs are not much better than us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think the squad is balanced, we have enough players in each position. We have 4 good strikers on our books.
    The problem is quality, where we lose Sturridge and no-one steps up, and we end up playing Sterling there (who I happen to think will be BRILLIANT behind Danny).

But then I look around the league, and there are only 2 teams who have achieved both obver the last 3/4 seasons. United are spending massively to try and plug gaps, and still have some work to do. Arsenal and Spurs are not much better than us!

There's no team that has it nailed down. Chelsea are the only team that seem to deal ok when a striker or defender get injured.

Our problem seems to stem from our willingness to play the long game with young raw players and not focus on short term team building with marquee signings.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement