Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone else think that Balotelli looked decent when on last night? At least in comparison to Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Flanagan is a very good young defender, why would be left go. He started most of last season
    wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Flanagan was supposed to be offered a new contract last summer. The club has never announced he signed an extension, his existing contract expires at the end of the season.

Rodgers on transfers and Flanno deal - August 29, 2014
    "But he's a young kid who I really, really want to be an important member of our squad.

"He deserves a new deal. He did exceptionally well last season and he's recovering well from his injury. We're hoping he'll be back soon - and with a new deal as well."
    You should realise by now that what Brendan Rodgers says in public doesn't always match up with what goes on behind the scenes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Balotelli looked decent when on last night? At least in comparison to Lambert

The last few times he has appeared he has offered far more than any striker we have played since his injury (the pace of Sterling excepted). He is being unfairly castigated I think, and has had very little playing time since return from injury, which could be partly down to still having a few twangs possibly, as well as that suspension, but it's not too clear really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Both sh1te, but yeah, it's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Talisman wrote: »
    Flanagan was supposed to be offered a new contract last summer. The club has never announced he signed an extension, his existing contract expires at the end of the season.

Rodgers on transfers and Flanno deal - August 29, 2014
    You should realise by now that what Brendan Rodgers says in public doesn't always match up with what goes on behind the scenes.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if something was agreed in principle and they are waiting for him to come back from injury to announce it.. continue with all the good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think the squad is balanced, we have enough players in each position. We have 4 good strikers on our books.
    The problem is quality, where we lose Sturridge and no-one steps up, and we end up playing Sterling there (who I happen to think will be BRILLIANT behind Danny).

But then I look around the league, and there are only 2 teams who have achieved both obver the last 3/4 seasons. United are spending massively to try and plug gaps, and still have some work to do. Arsenal and Spurs are not much better than us!

Interesting.

Is that why we've been playing Brad Jones in goal?
    Henderson and Markovic as wing backs?
    Playing without a striker?
    About to pay to recall Origi from a loan spell?

Maybe balance is the wrong word / question for those items though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think we would see a much better player if he was played in a way that suited his strengths but unfortunately I don't think we will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Very awkward on the ball and also his passing is terrible

https://vine.co/v/OdQ9l9FqbI5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Mig wrote: »
    Very awkward on the ball and also his passing is terrible

https://vine.co/v/OdQ9l9FqbI5
    Too many of those hollywood balls :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That's the version of Gerrard we need; as in the one making a difference in the final third. Not the one whose forced to try and dictate the game.

It still baffles me that Rafa is the only one who has ever fully understood how to get the best out of him consistently.

Is everyone else just a bit dim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just got the channels back in the other day so got to watch the Liverpool without dodgy streaming (finally!!)

Anyway, was far from impressed from what I saw last night. My analysis of the performances are as follows:
    • Mignolet - Dare I state the obvious? Lacks control of his area. At first glance it looked like a foul for the goal but alas....it was not. His confidence must be diminishing game by game.
    • Skrtel - Played ok. Won a couple of aerial challenges, especially against Akinfenwa. Very slow reactions for the goal and against PL teams he will continue to be slaughtered. Better than Lovren but that's not exactly a compliment.
    • Emre Can - Played out of position (yes I know he played there for Germany 21s) and showed his lack of experience. Thought he was really shown up last night and made a lot of mistakes. Was much better when Toure came on and he was released to the midfield. Looks like a future leader and will be a class act down the line but needs to be played in midfield.
    • Sakho - Definitely our best defender of the night and has been our best since he came back. Some great challenges in the second half and won a lot of aerial battles. Can't remember a misplaced pass from him and good to see him hoof the ball clear in the first half instead of trying to pass it around at the back when in trouble.
    • Manquillo - Simply cannot defend. I do see potential in him and his crossing is improving but his decision making is shocking. He's only young so he will improve but he pulled his leg back at one stage when a high ball came in which in turn set the forward through for a shot. As highlighted by BBC, could have crossed earlier when in the same position that he was in for the cross for Gerrard's goal but opted to pass backwards. Can't see Atletico recalling him anyway and may still be worth buying outright in the hope he develops after his loan.
    • Markovic - Played out of position but not his fault. I suppose the positive sign is he's getting games and with every game that passes you can see him getting on the ball more and driving at defence. Needs to bulk up and improve his end product but I have high hopes for him yet. Missed a great chance when it was 4 on 1 also.
    • Lucas - Nothing special but did what he was asked to do. Put in a super tackle in the first half.
    • Henderson - We need his energy in that centre midfield position. Put in a good shift and who knows where his shot in the second half would have ended up if it hadn't had hit Manquillo!
    • Coutinho - Thought he had flashes of brilliance but needs to learn how to defend. Didn't get on the ball too much and seems to only do it against smaller teams but he's also still very young. Next 2-3 seasons are crucial for his development.
    • Gerrard - Almost got his hattrick and probably deserved it. Stevie G coming to save the day again but we won't always be playing against League 2 opposition. Showed his experience and class and will be missed. Had hoped he'd end his career with Liverpool but looks like the owners and management have other ideas. Won't be surprised to see him get a loan back to Europe in the off season.
    • Lambert - Offered nothing up front on his own. Had 1 great chance and fluffed it. Needs to played with another striker.

Subs:
    • Enrique - Made a few attacking runs but nothing of note to point out from his performance.
    • Toure & Balotelli - Not on long enough to comment on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Does anyone know if Steve Peters is still at the club? Mignolet needs to sit down with him pronto. He looks like a lost soul at this stage. I hope he's able to sort himself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

flanzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Steve Peters is still at the club? Mignolet needs to sit down with him pronto. He looks like a lost soul at this stage. I hope he's able to sort himself out

I think even Steve Peters needs counselling at this stage.

SlickRic wrote: »
    That's the version of Gerrard we need; as in the one making a difference in the final third. Not the one whose forced to try and dictate the game.

It still baffles me that Rafa is the only one who has ever fully understood how to get the best out of him consistently.

Rafa got Gerrard in his prime to be fair. Don't forget Rafa had Gerrard playing as a right winger for a spell. Gerrard was Rafa's golden goose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Problem with Rodgers and its becoming more and more evident to me is his reluctance to adapt his playing style. He is sending the team out to play like Suarez and Sturridge are on the pitch still.

Lambert is a journeyman who has battles through the lower leagues, he's a decent enough striker but he wont run behind defences. Why isn't Rodgers setting up the team to play to his strengths if he is going to play him? Cross it in, lump it in do something different.
    Balotelli is another but I do think he could work well with Sturridge if he gets a chance.

I love the attacking football Rodgers promotes when all the pieces are there but its aimless rubbish when it doesn't come off.

The defending when a high ball comes into the box is comical. Everyone looks so panicked. You can say Rodgers cant organise a defence but what I saw last night he hasn't control over. Toure head the ball towards goal, Skrtel is more interested in wrestling than getting up and heading the ball away. Too much playing it out of the defence in dangerous areas, sometimes you gotta just hoof it Carra style.

On a corner or cross, the first man to the ball should be the goalkeeper, but he is hapless. Comes off his line when he shouldn't, doesn't come off when he should. His shot stopping is good but we need so much more in a goalkeeper than that. You replace him with a strong calming influence that backline will be much more solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Thats not the first game Gerrard played further forward this season. And he was absolutely muck in one of the ones he did play further forward in.

I would suggest, whenever Lucas is playing, keep Gerrard as far away as possible from him as they are terrible side by side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

rob316 wrote: »
    Problem with Rodgers and its becoming more and more evident to me is his reluctance to adapt his playing style. He is sending the team out to play like Suarez and Sturridge are on the pitch still.

Lambert is a journeyman who has battles through the lower leagues, he's a decent enough striker but he wont run behind defences. Why isn't Rodgers setting up the team to play to his strengths if he is going to play him? Cross it in, lump it in do something different.
    Balotelli is another but I do think he could work well with Sturridge if he gets a chance.

I love the attacking football Rodgers promotes when all the pieces are there but its aimless rubbish when it doesn't come off.

Setting up a team to play to the strengths of a Luis Suarez/Daniel Sturridge is far different to playing to the strengths of a 32 year old average striker.

Lambert is simply not good enough to lead the line for Liverpool. Same goes for Borini and unfortunately same goes for Ballotelli.

Balotelli is a decent player but I think people believe he is better than what he actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pulling this from the F365 Transfer blog, a place more messed up than even here:
    Liverpool news now from our colleagues at Sky Sports. Liverpool want to sign Xherdan Shaqiri in the summer and are happy for him to join Inter Milan on loan until the end of the season, according to Sky sources.

joe123 wrote: »

Balotelli is a decent player but I think people believe he is better than what he actually is.

He has himself fooled and all. A few years down the line he'll be playing for Fulham wondering where it all went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All the expiring contracts - does anyone think that we're just playing hardball here? Whatever about GlenJo leaving, there's a couple of players who I would definitely look at tying down deals for (Suso, Flanagan, Toure) - heck, I'd even get down on my knees and ask Gerrard what does he want to sign up for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rafa got Gerrard in his prime to be fair. Don't forget Rafa had Gerrard playing as a right winger for a spell. Gerrard was Rafa's golden goose

while he got him in his prime, he also moved him away from the dictating role, and put him into a position where his strengths were fully utilised.

i've a feeling that if Rafa had never come we may never have seen Gerrard, through his whole career, play up front, even through his prime spell.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Pulling this from the F365 Transfer blog, a place more messed up than even here:

That is some stupid logic, so are we going to sign him and then loan him to Inter? Or let him join Inter on loan and hope he wants to come here then in the Summer?

Either way another one for our fabled transfer policy. Bring him in now FFS, he's a brilliant little player.

Maybe, but he used him in a manner that:

Evans
    Houllier
    Hodgson
    Dalglish
    Eriksson
    McClaren
    Capello
    Rodgers

mostly haven't. Gerrard was in his prime across a number of different coaches who kept him as a central midfielder. And don't forget that Benitez was dragged over hot coals in the English media for it at the time - particularly when he was playing on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This can now be redefined 'the Lampard' role. A fella who can make a massive impact at the top end of the pitch. This would more than likely be as an impact sub late in the game when a bit of quality & nous is required in that area. Lampard understands this role, he has parked his ego and realises that he can still be a massive presence at a big club by playing this role. Scholes understood that, Giggs understood it.

Unfortunately for us Gerrard does not. He feels he should be starting most games at 35. As we have seen this season that is not possible. He does not have the legs or energy to maintain a quality level of performance, let alone next season. This is the fundamental reason he is heading to America in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And don't forget that Benitez was dragged over hot coals in the English media for it at the time - particularly when he was playing on the right.

not least by Gerard himself on that one. Stevie did have a moan in the media about being played right.

With Lallana out for a while Gerrard should get more time in the position he played last night and rightly so.

But we'll probably put Henderson as wingback and stick Gerrard back as CM Saturday morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    With Lallana out for a while Gerrard should get more time in the position he played last night and rightly so.

But we'll probably put Henderson as wingback and stick Gerrard back as CM Saturday morning...

Lallana is out till next month!?

For FCUK sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mignolet 'doing a mignolet' on it again last night. F*cking hell. When you want him to punch he tries to catch, when you want him to catch he tries to punch. The lad is a disaster and is costing us week in week out. Didnt think he could get any worse but he steadily does. :(

Gerrard does not want his games managed, no one is forcing him out, he is 35 soon and isn't will to accept he cant start every game. That's his problem and he's entitled to move to get what he wants. Rodgers is absolutely right to phase him out as would any manager.

The wankfest about Gerrard, the finger pointing at the club and Rodgers that has ensued since last night is nothing short of pathetic. I'm not talking about just on here, from all quarters.

Sick of hearing about Shaqiri at this stage. If we were going to sign him, we would have done so by now. I mean he's been doing the rounds for two years now.

I can see us bringing in a goalkeeper - but that's it. Depressing, but people might want to start facing up to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Interesting.

Is that why we've been playing Brad Jones in goal?
    Henderson and Markovic as wing backs?
    Playing without a striker?
    About to pay to recall Origi from a loan spell?

Maybe balance is the wrong word / question for those items though.

I think it is. Those are choices of formation and selection. And generally bad ones.

Although Markovic has been very good recently, I hope he continues with Lallana out, he could be a great foil for Coutinho, Sterling and Danny when he gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Unfortunately for us Gerrard does not. He feels he should be starting most games at 35. As we have seen this season that is not possible. He does not have the legs or energy to maintain a quality level of performance, let alone next season. This is the fundamental reason he is heading to America in the summer.

We havent seen that actually because he's been rested for alot of games this season. And anytime he has been out we've usually called him from the bench to try and dig us out of a hole. No-one knows if gerrard could have played all/ the majority of games this season. As shearer said last night he gave up his international career to play more games for liverpool then gets dropped away to Madrid???
    If Gerrard feels he can still play then why shouldnt he look elsewhere to get games. He's probably looked at the likes of Totti and Pirlo and thought if they can do it week in week out why can't I ??
    I'd have like to have seen him go to Italy or Spain but if he wants to go to the MLS and enjoy the last few years of his football while he still can then so be it.

Gerrard does not want his games managed, no one is forcing him out, he is 35 soon and isn't will to accept he cant start every game. That's his problem and he's entitled to move to get what he wants. Rodgers is absolutely right to phase him out as would any manager.
    Except I do not believe that for a second. Starting 2/3rd of games for Liverpool is a damn sight better than starting 1000 games in a Mickey Mouse MLS league. I am amazed that people can't see what is in front of their faces. We know that FSG do not want to pay big money for older players. We know that Rodgers was eager to get Gerrard signed up. It's blatantly clear to me that no contract was offered, so Gerrard out of respect for the club has made his excuses and will bow out. Gerrard is a key ally of Rodgers, his words in his exit statement are pretty clear, as are earlier comments from Rodgers on Gerrard, hoping that a deal could a contract extension could be sorted soon. I think FSG have stepped in and just torpedoed the deal and now Rodgers/Gerrard are merely having to make excuses.

Something has went badly wrong here lads, and I think it's a disgrace that Gerrard isn't finishing his career here.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Depends on how Manquillo is, he did well last night but had a knock.

Suspect Moreno will come in for him, Hendo right CM with Marko wider, and Sterling in for Lambert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Alan Shearer was unreal last night. You'd swear Gerrard was his son. But he made a good point.

Steven Gerrard turned down huge offers to play elsewhere but showed loyalty and stayed. He retired the england captaincy so he could play more effectively for Liverpool. Now, as fans we should respect that but there is a element especially on these boards that play a lot of that down and say flippant things or jokes like he's past it etc.

I dont want to get into a debate about it really, but all i will say is, if it was a case of money and we let one of the greatest players to play for our club to walk out because of a lack of a decent contract I personally think its a sad day.

There is a place for SG in our squad if he is managed correctly. i.e played more advanced and when needed. Of course if its a matter of game time, he should respect the fact that he isn't 25 any more and his games will need to be managed.

Still, at the end of the day, letting that experience go seems like a massive waste.

not least by Gerard himself on that one. Stevie did have a moan in the media about being played right.

No doubt, but Benitez was a strong manager willing to utilise his players correctly.

The wankfest about Gerrard, the finger pointing at the club and Rodgers that has ensued since last night is nothing short of pathetic. I'm not talking about just on here, from all quarters.

Again, Gerrard has been selected for the vast majority of his games as a central midfielder. Rodgers hasn't demonstrated that he consistently wants to use him higher up the pitch or, you know, consistently have him start on the bench and come on late in the game in that role.

What is frustrating many is the fact that the club hasn't really tried to moderate the way he's being used - the choices that were presented up to Jan 1st were that he plays as a central midfielder or moves on. There is nuance there that people seem unable or unwilling to see - no doubt partly down to the fact that some have been prophesying Gerrard's end for years now while pointing at him as a convenient scapegoat thus far this season.

Something has went badly wrong here lads, and I think it's a disgrace that Gerrard isn't finishing his career here.

I can't agree with that. A decade or more ago, if a player wanted to drag out his career, he'd have have to drop down to a lesser team (on lesser money), or play in front of 4000 fans in UAE or similar. The MLS has given a real alternative with serious money in a very welcoming environment. That's why Keane, Beckham, Henry and Lampard chose to go there.

I think that Stevie is smart enough to know he can have a VERY good life in the US for 2 seasons, and either come back as much a hero as he left, or stay on longer.

Or he can stay with us and see himself become a bit-part player, maybe left on the bench when the big games come around. He's too good, and has too much to offer, to let that happen. It's a win-win for him, there is NO way he's being forced out!

NukaCola wrote: »
    There is a place for SG in our squad if he is managed correctly. i.e played more advanced and when needed. Of course if its a matter of game time, he should respect the fact that he isn't 25 any more and his games will need to be managed.

Still, at the end of the day, letting that experience go seems like a massive waste.

But he said himself that when he was told his games would have to be managed, he knew he had to look at his options. So this is HIS choice. I am sure we offered him less money, given his age and position in the team. But I very much doubt that is the reason he's leaving. He wants to extend his career, and he wants to experience playing elsewhere. You can be 1000% sure he's been talking to Beckham about it, and could you blame him exchanging Liverpool for LA for a few years?

(He'd get to see his wife in a bikini a lot more too, so there is that...) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

All the expiring contracts - does anyone think that we're just playing hardball here? Whatever about GlenJo leaving, there's a couple of players who I would definitely look at tying down deals for (Suso, Flanagan, Toure) - heck, I'd even get down on my knees and ask Gerrard what does he want to sign up for another year.

I think we have a problem getting rid of players and it's come to the stage where we just have to let some go. Supporters can't keep asking for signings if they're not prepared to see players leave. Aspas, Borini, GlenJo, Luis Alberto, Suso, Lambert, Coates, Balotelli, Assaidi, Brad Jones, Toure should all be sold/let go, would keep Kolo until the summer and Flanagan should get a new contract - he's better than Manquillo who shouldn't be signed in my opinion (unless Wisdom is sold). But carrying all these players and seemingly not being able to shift them is as much of a problem as not being able to sign the right players.

• Advertisement

Except I do not believe that for a second. Starting 2/3rd of games for Liverpool is a damn sight better than starting 1000 games in a Mickey Mouse MLS league. I am amazed that people can't see what is in front of their faces. We know that FSG do not want to pay big money for older players. We know that Rodgers was eager to get Gerrard signed up. It's blatantly clear to me that no contract was offered, so Gerrard out of respect for the club has made his excuses and will bow out. Gerrard is a key ally of Rodgers, his words in his exit statement are pretty clear, as are earlier comments from Rodgers on Gerrard, hoping that a deal could a contract extension could be sorted soon. I think FSG have stepped in and just torpedoed the deal and now Rodgers/Gerrard are merely having to make excuses.

Its all speculation, we can only go by what is in front of us. The facts are his games need to be managed and he cant accept that.

I dont want to get into a debate about it really, but all i will say is, if it was a case of money and we let one of the greatest players to play for our club to walk out because of a lack of a decent contract I personally think its a sad day.
    The killing thing is that the mooted US contract is for 18 months on £75k a week. He is not even leaving for big money, and I simply refuse to believe that he is leaving for the challenge.

Dickerty wrote: »
    But he said himself that when he was told his games would have to be managed, he knew he had to look at his options. So this is HIS choice. I am sure we offered him less money, given his age and position in the team. But I very much doubt that is the reason he's leaving. He wants to extend his career, and he wants to experience playing elsewhere. You can be 1000% sure he's been talking to Beckham about it, and could you blame him exchanging Liverpool for LA for a few years?

(He'd get to see his wife in a bikini a lot more too, so there is that...) ;)

If it was his choice I have no problem with it. I dont think the club has done enough to keep him though either way but being honest I simply dont know what has gone on behind the scenes.

All i know for a fact is our manager wants to keep him and he is a Liverpool legend, all the other snippets from the media (and Carra) are the club didn't do enough to keep him.

Maybe, but he used him in a manner that:

Evans
    Houllier
    Hodgson
    Dalglish
    Eriksson
    McClaren
    Capello
    Rodgers

mostly haven't. Gerrard was in his prime across a number of different coaches who kept him as a central midfielder. And don't forget that Benitez was dragged over hot coals in the English media for it at the time - particularly when he was playing on the right.

Yep true, was right wing the right position for him though? Gerrard scored a lot of goals when playing in that position, or rather in spite of playing in that position, because at that time he was incredible.

Benitez had Gerrard, a world class talent, from the age of 24-30 he played him in a few positions and struck gold when he played him in AM with Torres up front. He could have played him anywhere at that time. You can't compare Rodgers and Benitez in how they utilised Gerrard because at the age Rodgers got Gerrard at he simply had less options with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He might have strung 2 passes together at one stage, which is pretty decent for him. If that's the standard for a £16 Million "bargain" marquee signing, we might as well give up.

We'll see but I think whatever chance he had of making an impact here is gone. Time to cash in as soon as possible for both parties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The killing thing is that the mooted US contract is for 18 months on £75k a week. He is not even leaving for big money, and I simply refuse to believe that he is leaving for the challenge.

Ya, 75-80k or something similar.

Also, in fairness, when the lifestyle thing is brought up, when he retires he can afford to live in the states or anywhere anyway so......I'm not so sure on that either.

Its a shame that he wont retire at Anfield anyway is my take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

8-10 wrote: »
    I think we have a problem getting rid of players and it's come to the stage where we just have to let some go. Supporters can't keep asking for signings if they're not prepared to see players leave. Aspas, Borini, GlenJo, Luis Alberto, Suso, Lambert, Coates, Balotelli, Assaidi, Brad Jones, Toure should all be sold/let go, would keep Kolo until the summer and Flanagan should get a new contract - he's better than Manquillo who shouldn't be signed in my opinion (unless Wisdom is sold). But carrying all these players and seemingly not being able to shift them is as much of a problem as not being able to sign the right players.

Regarding Manquillo, Ithink he has done good and you have to remember he's only 20. I'd get rid of Enrique, keep wisdom manq for Rb and moreno Flanagan for lb.

I actually agree with you. We have a ridiculous amount of unwanted players and the majority on your list need to be moved on.

Toure is a decent player who is cheap and happy to be rotated. Retaining him for another year is a no-brainer.
    Flanagan is a youngster who was excellent last year, he's a local lad brought up in our youth system, he absolutely needs to be kept, especially with GlenJo out.
    Suso has been unlucky with injuries this year, but should be given a chance. With us in Europe and all the cups, he will get games.

There's three decent players there who won't break the bank.

The rest though, I would agree, they need to be moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If it was his choice I have no problem with it. I dont think the club has done enough to keep him though either way but being honest I simply dont know what has gone on behind the scenes.

All i know for a fact is our manager wants to keep him and he is a Liverpool legend, all the other snippets from the media (and Carra) are the club didn't do enough to keep him.

But you don't know.

As much of a legend Gerrard is, he's a bit of a primadona as well, perfect example about Rafa and playing on the RW above. There's a touch of the "he was a great fella" comments because he's leaving.

For all the complaints about Rodgers and Gerrard it's forgotten that he has been physically managed extremely well, an injury prone player has given us 2 full seasons in the twilight of his career due to careful management and conditioning.

I don't think for one second FSG would let him go lightly either, there's usually 2 sides to a story and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

..... Aspas, Borini, GlenJo, Luis Alberto, Suso, Lambert, Coates, Balotelli, Assaidi, Brad Jones, Toure should all be sold/let go, would keep Kolo until the summer and Flanagan should get a new contract - he's better than Manquillo ................

Agree on all of that except I'd extend Toure's contract too and would have no issue with Lambert seeing out his contract unless an upgrade is in the pipeline, considering we need a class striker in as well I don't think Lambert is much of an issue.

Balotelli is a quandary, if £10/£12 million was available for him and someone better coming in it would seem mad to keep him, unless he strikes up something with Sturridge.

K-9 wrote: »
    But you don't know.

I accept that. I did state it in the post :)

I think there is more to it than he's looking for a new challenge though. All i will say is it is a shame, for whatever reason, he wont end his career here at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement