Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The reason Mario looked better than normal last night is because he passed the ball a couple of times rather than adopting his 'kick at goal from anywhere' mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The reason Mario looked better than normal last night is because he passed the ball a couple of times rather than adopting his 'kick at goal from anywhere' mentality.

Balo becoming a team player!? I wont hear of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cavani seems to be available...too good a player for us though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lille CEO says Origi is going nowhere as far as he is concerned, and in what is Shirley a pisstake misinterpretation Liverpool will buy Shaqiri and then loan him to Inter until the summer!

B6qjCyiCcAA2Qy1.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Vicxas wrote: »
    Balo becoming a team player!? I wont hear of it!

It's quite possible that the passes where actually shots gone wrong.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I see the bi-annual rumours of Lavezzi from PSG are also circulating. I even seen some journo saying we would go for both Lavezzi and Cavani. This was all fabricated from a story that the 2 of them arrived back from holliers late and have been dropped for the next game and fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Not enough potential, we don't take too kindly to finished articles.

Liverpool can't afford Cavani so its a non idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not enough potential, we don't take too kindly to finished articles.

I hope you're saying like this....because that's how I'm hearing it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couldn't afford him more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really don't think Shaqiri would add anything to us other than be another squad player. He's just not consistent enough.

rob316 wrote: »
    Couldn't afford him more like it.

You have to ask, whats the point then? Are we just gonna hope we become a great team by accident.

You have to ask, whats the point then? Are we just gonna hope we become a great team by accident.

What do you mean what's the point? The point is that there is never another Leeds or Portsmouth style meltdown. Clubs have to work out how to live within their means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do you mean what's the point? The point is that there is never another Leeds or Portsmouth style meltdown. Clubs have to work out how to live within their means.

Your approach will mean there is never Liverpool style success though unfortunately. Offer PSG the Suarez money and Cavani the Suarez / Gerrard wages. Win football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Really don't think Shaqiri would add anything to us other than be another squad player. He's just not consistent enough.
    I find it strange that you choose consistency as a bug bear when the fact is he hasn't featured consistently for Munich - so far as I'm aware

He has quality, if he's available we should be looking at him - for the right price obviously

.............Are we just gonna hope we become a great team by accident.

We need to hope that the sum of the parts is greater than the parts would suggest :)

I think signing dross like Lovren for 20 million brick flies in the face of that. We're throwing around mental money for players who've achieved nothing in the game, hoping they'll come good. Seems like a more ridiculous way to do business than to spend big on proven quality like Cavani. I'm no business man but the latter option seems like a safer bet to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think the approach is overpay for potential in the hope they turn out to be special.

And when they do, try and skimp on an improved contract and drag our heels just like Sterling.

Your approach will mean there is never Liverpool style success though unfortunately. Offer PSG the Suarez money and Cavani the Suarez / Gerrard wages. Win football matches.

Essentially you are saying put all the eggs in one basket and pray that a Cavani type signing is never seriously injured and/or doesn't turn out to be a Solardo/Mutu type non-event.
    I think signing dross like Lovren for 20 million brick flies in the face of that. We're throwing around mental money for players who've achieved nothing in the game, hoping they'll come good. Seems like a more ridiculous way to do business than to spend big on proven quality like Cavani. I'm no business man but the latter option seems like a safer bet to me.

Did you think Lovren was dross before he signed? I think we all agreed that Liverpool needed a squad rather than just a decent starting 11. Well like it or not assembling a squad means a certain flattening out of quality - you want to raise the overall level but its almost impossible to bag "the best" for any one position though to be fair the club tried with Sanchez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The amount of gerrard conspiracy theories that will pop up between now and when he leaves will be unreal id say, each week there will be a new theory no doubt as to why he is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If players like Shaqiri and Cavani are available and would add a lot to your team I would have thought an ambitious club would try and sign them.

Then again we are happy to play Brad Jones in goal and have 2 LWBs on our bench while playing an attacking midfielder/LF at LWB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

NukaCola wrote: »
    If players like Shaqiri and Cavani are available and would add a lot to your team I would have thought an ambitious club would try and sign them.

Then again we are happy to play Brad Jones in goal and have 2 LWBs on our bench while playing an attacking midfielder/LF at LWB.

That might be difficult with no Champions League though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

We can really. We were paying Suarez a huge wedge, and are taking Stevie off the payroll in the summer. And our net outlay in the summer was not much.

But the question is, is he worth what it would take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We do need a some big signings. But people are forgetting FFP. We are currently being investigated. It will restrict our spending in the future most likely. CL next season is critical .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dickerty wrote: »
    We can really. We were paying Suarez a huge wedge, and are taking Stevie off the payroll in the summer. And our net outlay in the summer was not much.

But the question is, is he worth what it would take?
    Glenjo is on £100k a week too - so that's another good chunk off the bill. There absolutely should be room for a marquee signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't see why signing tried and tested big money players is any less of a risk than signing these relatively expensive potential youngsters.

What price big game/cup experience?

Honestly, it feels like a record label trying to find the new Beatles in the local pub sometimes and it's starting to cost more money, time, opportunities than was worth it.

I guess we'll all just wait around and see these lads either bloom or get loaned out all while we slip down the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NukaCola wrote: »

I think Markovic has done while well since he's played there. Obviously not his ideal position but at least we can see him getting stronger and more confident as a player. Moreno and Enrique havent exactly set the world on fire when they've played have they?
    Rodgers has come across a system where he can have a shield in front of the back three, play gerrard further forward, and have the likes of sterling, coutinho and lallana as an attacking three.

I dont know why people are knocking it. Its the best we've played all season in terms of linking up and transitions of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I honestly can't believe some people are accusing the owners of taking away a contract from Gerrard .
    To me it's simple his games have to be managed he believes he can offer something by start every game . So a move is the logical reason .
    I was talking to an LFC fan of 40 years last night and he agreed with me that it's time for Stevie to move on while he is a great player . It will mean he can leave as a legend and not leave in a downward spiral of bad performances . So in a way I'm happy to see him leave now . I would hate to see the man walk away as a shell of the player he was . You know how fickle people can be and if he had a few games next season it could change people's minds about him which is what I don't want to see happen !!

Did you think Lovren was dross before he signed? I think we all agreed that Liverpool needed a squad rather than just a decent starting 11. Well like it or not assembling a squad means a certain flattening out of quality - you want to raise the overall level but its almost impossible to bag "the best" for any one position though to be fair the club tried with Sanchez.

I hadn't seen much of him then again i don't think it matters as i'm not a club scout.

The quality has certainly been flattened out alright, what's next? Because the current transfer policy doesn't seem to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can't see why signing tried and tested big money players is any less of a risk than signing these relatively expensive potential youngsters.

What price big game/cup experience?

Honestly, it feels like a record label trying to find the new Beatles in the local pub sometimes and it's starting to cost more money, time, opportunities than was worth it.

I guess we'll all just wait around and see these lads either bloom or get loaned out all while we slip down the league.

It really is a Long and Winding Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Great interview.

Watching the game last night with the missus - Whenever the commentator referred to Tubbs, the other striker. She says: "Why do they keep taking the piss out of the big black fella?" :pac:

It really is a Long and Winding Road.

Ah now don't start a day of puns or we'll all need some Help by bedtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

x43r0 wrote: »
    Watching the game last night with the missus - Whenever the commentator referred to Tubbs, the other striker. She says: "Why do they keep taking the piss out of the big black fella?" :pac:

Ha ha mine was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just on the commentators, I thought Danny Murphy (and whoever was actually commentating!!) was excellent last night. Very natural, good points made and a bit of banter thrown in too. It was actually refreshing to hear anything but the usual tripe thrown out by the likes of alan smith, michael owen etc. Murphy's been pretty good whenever I've seen him on MOTD too.

My bedtime will be like yours Mike When I'm 64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Coo coo katchoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Agree on Danny Murphy. Great insight and doesn't repeat the usual cliche stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well, we definitely need somebody.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

We really need to Get Back to where we belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not doing a Leeds and signing big players are not mutually exclusive ventures.

Alexis Sanchez might have been enticed for the price of a Balotelli and Lallana (and I think Lallana is a good player).

basically, you can buy elite if you sacrifice two or 3 very good players.

if we'd done nothing with the Suarez money and wages, other than put it into signing a Sanchez-type and a couple of squad beefer-uppers, we'd be in a far better position in the table right now.

we'd essentially have the same team as last year (assuming Sanchez would've gotten to sort of the same level as Suarez), except with a couple more options. and we'd be in the same position FFP-wise.

for instance, would anyone here have taken Lovren and Balotelli combined price and wages and rather ploughed into an elite player like Sanchez? I know I would.

we don't have to be run by oligarchs to buy big when it's needed. i'm not asking for a £40-50m in every position. but sometimes, you do just have to pay what is needed to remain competitive at the top table.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just on the commentators, I thought Danny Murphy (and whoever was actually commentating!!) was excellent last night. Very natural, good points made and a bit of banter thrown in too. It was actually refreshing to hear anything but the usual tripe thrown out by the likes of alan smith, michael owen etc. Murphy's been pretty good whenever I've seen him on MOTD too.

I thought the complete opposite tbh. He is usually good but for the first 15-20 minutes I thought it was Lawro commentating as he sounded and talked just like him. It wasn't refreshing to my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's all a bit helter skelter alright.

Whenever we play it backwards, I'm sure hear the devil talking to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I didn't think Murphy was that great really. The 2 of them were very annoying at times and I didn't get any particular insights from him I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Rodgers was a man who thought he was a winner
    But he knew it wouldn't last.
    Rodgers left his home in Carnlough, Northern Ireland
    For some Liverpudlian grass.

Get back, get back.
    Get back to where you once belonged
    Get back, get back.
    Get back to where you once belonged.
    Get back Rodgers. Go home

(Disclaimer. Don't take the above to heart ffs)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augmerson wrote: »

Same story as was doing the rounds weeks ago surely? I doubt Liverpool have been in talks with him. If the current owners thought he was a good option they would have hired him when available when Rodgers got the job.

Rodgers was a man who thought he was a winner
    But he knew it wouldn't last.
    Rodgers left his home in Carnlough, Northern Ireland
    For some Liverpudlian grass.

Get back, get back.
    Get back to where you once belonged
    Get back, get back.
    Get back to where you once belonged.
    Get back Rodgers. Go home

(Disclaimer. Don't take the above to heart ffs)

tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

5starpool wrote: »
    Same story as was doing the rounds weeks ago surely? I doubt Liverpool have been in talks with him. If the current owners thought he was a good option they would have hired him when available when Rodgers got the job.

I can't remember where I read or heard it, but I seem to recall that Ayre is defo a Rafa hater as he was there when Rafa was and he has his card marked with FSG as a trouble making type character.

No way we see Rafa back under these owners IMO.

• Advertisement

If we want to sign A+ players I think we need an A++ football person doing the looking and the negotiations.

Right now Brendan Rodgers isn't a big enough name in world football to attract A+ players and we have no one behind the sceens big enough to attack them either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement