Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Di Marzio
    Tight end, the ' Inter accelerates for Xherdan Shaqiri. The Nerazzurri are ready to give Mancini the playmaker Switzerland, in late last night another contact with Bayern Monaco . In the telephone conversation between the two clubs Inter formally announced the official: 2 million for the loan and 12 million plus a bonus linked to the qualification in the Champions League for the redemption of the player in June. A proposal that is much closer to 15 million requested by Bayern Monaco, which today should give the answer to the offer of Inter. If positive, the leaders Inter are ready to go to close. On Shaqiri there empre competition of Liverpool , but the offer of Inter could be decisive. Mancini waits for Shaqiri decisice hours.

James Pearce has said he's not aware of any interest from Liverpool, and that's not the first time I've heard we aren't in for him. Even if our priorities are elsewhere, though, we should be in for him at that kind of price, and hopefully a concrete offer of £11m up front (as reported elsewhere) temps Bayern more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

These are players we can start talking to now, as they are out of contract in the summer.

Ranocchia (Inter)
    Alves (Barca)
    Khedira(Real Madrid)
    Konoplyanka (Dinipro)
    Milner (Man City) In March
    Reid (West Ham) in March
    Luis Adriano (Shaktar) Champions League Top Scorer
    Pato

These are some good players, and we should bid for them now and get them cheap. Maybe not all but 2/3 would surely help our season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Suarez did carry us last season. I've never said that means nobody else had good seasons though? :confused:

For clarity Gerrard had an excellent season. So did Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge. Jon Flannagan had a very good one too.

Suarez was the main catalyst our title challenge though & for our general form though. His brilliance was quite infectious I believe. Gerrard is actually the only player in our entire squad who has shown he can be brilliant without Suarez around.

He certainly wasn't brilliant. No way a defence midfielder can be described as brilliant when his team concedes 50 goals. Our goals carried the team last year, mainly Suarez and take them out and we've got this season. Has Gerrard been brilliant this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some players seem to get better the more they are out of a team, Sturridge gets worse and worse until he's completely forgotten, as if he doesn't exist.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Post Christmas Gerrard was very good last season.

Pre Christmas average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Post Christmas Gerrard was very good last season.

Pre Christmas average.

It's funny that those 2 halves more or less coincide with the DM experiment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

These are players we can start talking to now, as they are out of contract in the summer.

Ranocchia (Inter)
    Alves (Barca)
    Khedira(Real Madrid)
    Konoplyanka (Dinipro)
    Reid (West Ham) in March
    Pato

These are some good players, and we should bid for them now and get them cheap. Maybe not all but 2/3 would surely help our season!

I actually think Milner is a good player, but I'd imagine he is at the top end of expectations of who we'd sign from that list. Pato is essentially a failed next big thing. I've heard us linked to Reid but that would be fairly unimpressive. Khedira and Alves won't be playing for Liverpool next season anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    I actually think Milner is a good player, but I'd imagine he is at the top end of expectations of who we'd sign from that list. Pato is essentially a failed next big thing. I've heard us linked to Reid but that would be fairly unimpressive. Khedira and Alves won't be playing for Liverpool next season anyhow.

Milner is quality, you'd think he's already on wages above what we'd pay though

Augeo wrote: »
    With crossed fingers it's a reasonable hope that Sturridge will play 75% of the remaining games once he's back :)
    Even by his standards missing so much this season has been very unlucky.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Some players seem to get better the more they are out of a team, Sturridge gets worse and worse until he's completely forgotten, as if he doesn't exist.

Indeed, it's unreal, it's either people think he'll never play an appreciable amount of games in a season again or that he was carried by Suarez too.

I think Danny is more consistent that Suarez while not being capable of quite the same level of magic as Suarez. Amazing striker though, delighted he is a Liverpool player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Apparently united have signed Valdes, surely a player Liverpool must have been interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Apparently united have signed Valdes, surely a player Liverpool must have been interested in?

I can only hope that we have a deal for another keeper lined up?

The alternative is that Utd fluttered their eyelids and Valdes fancied it more than he fancied Anfield.

Next keeper in needs to be very solid as they will be under the microscope and coping with a less than solid defensive set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not at all!

That would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Well we may aswell give up on landing Shaqiri....

Stoke have declared interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

x43r0 wrote: »
    Well we may aswell give up on landing Shaqiri....

Stoke have declared interest
    We're still holding out that Shaqiri will accept our offer of 23 pence a week plus half a Curly Wurly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You'll have to excuse fans of the club from wanting to focus on the departure of one of the greatest players to ever play for the club who has been driving us forward for 17 ****ing seasons. He's going to be a hot topic of conversation until the end of the season, and rightly so.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Rightly so, but you should afford those who have no issue with him moving on the same courtesy to express rather than slinging around school yard lines like 'you don't care about Gerrard'.

i was actually talking about moving on from the blame game as far as why he is moving rather than moving on from the man that is stevie g.. ive seen his whole career at lfc,and im sure ill watch his galaxy matches too ..

but im pretty sure he got the thanks he wanted ,if not all he wanted..you would swear Llyod was the only one who wanted what was best for lfc, the way he speaks down to the posters who dont get with his rhetoric ...

by all means discuss how great stevie g has been for lfc,this season and for certain, years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

He certainly wasn't brilliant. No way a defence midfielder can be described as brilliant when his team concedes 50 goals. Our goals carried the team last year, mainly Suarez and take them out and we've got this season. Has Gerrard been brilliant this season?

He was playing in the position of a defensive midfielder but that positioning was purely for the offensive side of our game when in possession, as we know and appreciated last season. For all the times he didn't track a runner we were treated to scything through-balls to the feet of S&S etc. He wasn't a brilliant defensive midfielder, he was a brilliant offensive midfielder. Tearing your hair out about his defensive frailties is a turgid and unedifying practice for a football fan imo.

8-10 wrote: »
    Milner is quality, you'd think he's already on wages above what we'd pay though

Probably, but alternatives in the PL who'd pay equal or more than what we'd pay would realistically be Arsenal or Spurs. Chelsea don't need him, Utd won't want him I'd say, so if Spurs or Arsenal don't want him then we should be in pole position if we are after him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Too much of a dodgy keeper for the current Liverpool back line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

K-9 wrote: »
    Bad form by Gerrard to come out with that only days after announcing he was leaving. God knows why the club had to wait a few months, what with Suarez leaving and signing a load of players, sorting the stadium and other such trifling matters. He should have kept his mouth shut until the season was over.
    The club screwed up - not for the first time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A few players taken over by evil spirits by the looks of their eyes.

Martin Skrtel celebrated turning the big 3-0 (see what they did there)

JS53999593.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/martin-skrtel-celebrates-30th-birthday-8397061

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Too much of a dodgy keeper for the current Liverpool back line

Yeah, Valdez clearly doesn't have the credentials or big game experience to warrant a place on this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, Valdez clearly doesn't have the credentials or big game experience to warrant a place on this team.

I'm sure a 23 year old keeper with potential would be a far superior option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ranocchia (Inter)
    Alves (Barca)
    Khedira(Real Madrid)
    Konoplyanka (Dinipro)
    Reid (West Ham) in March
    Pato

We've been linked with Milner and Delph that's about all you can expect at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wouldnt mind Delph and Milner. They'd add a good bit of bite and workrate to our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind Delph and Milner. They'd add a good bit of bite and workrate to our midfield.

We need star quality added to this squad, adding another two decent squad players is the last thing we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Young hungry players with potential. The way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

A few players taken over by evil spirits by the looks of their eyes.

Martin Skrtel celebrated turning the big 3-0 (see what they did there)

JS53999593.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/martin-skrtel-celebrates-30th-birthday-8397061

Don't let Mignolet hold that framed picture of the jerseys I'd be afraid he'd drop it, the form he's in.

While I don't necessarily think it's as black/white as that article puts it, it does raise the very good point that this summer (assuming we don't charge into the top 4) we will probably hear something along the lines of "we can't attract the top talent as we are not in the CL" which is pure hokum as we didn't attract any last summer either (or really try aside from Sanchez).

If UEFA find against the club in an FFP ruling as well, there will be further restrictions in place and little scope for anything really. It could be a grim couple of windows coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ah F*ck this I am p*ssed Gerrard is leaving. I understand both sides but F*ck it.

• Advertisement

Who's the lad between Milner and Can? I can't place him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

messi, didn't you hear the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Think it might be Ward, the 3rd keeper

We need star quality added to this squad, adding another two decent squad players is the last thing we need.

Having a midfield selection of sterling, lallana, coutinho, markovic, delph, can, henderson, allen and milner wouldnt be too bad. Plus we could get either or both for free or on the cheap. We'd still have enough to splash the cash on the likes of shaquiri, a quality striker and keeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ranocchia (Inter)
    Alves (Barca)
    Khedira(Real Madrid)
    Konoplyanka (Dinipro)
    Reid (West Ham) in March
    Pato

And we won't go near any of them I bet.

Having a midfield selection of sterling, lallana, coutinho, markovic, delph, can, henderson, allen and milner wouldnt be too bad. Plus we could get either or both for free or on the cheap. We'd still have enough to splash the cash on the likes of shaquiri, a quality striker and keeper.

I don't want anymore average\good midfield options. We now have a good squad, from here on in we should only be going after really top level quality. Those midfielder options above are so uninspiring without a really top level player or two in the mix. It hits home how average it looks without Gerrard's name even if it's only the name now without the kind of quality required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I would never accept "wouldn't be too bad" as good enough for Liverpool. We should be striving for top class at all times.

Also I wouldn't call getting Shaqiri (which I don't think will happen) for £10-15m as splashing the clash.

The club really needs to start aiming higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Young hungry players with potential. The way forward.

8% success rate. Still the way forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He realised he'd actually have to play to earn his wages instead of sitting on the bench enjoying semi retirement.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would never accept "wouldn't be too bad" as good enough for Liverpool. We should be striving for top class at all times.

Also I would call getting Shaqiri (which I don't think will happen) for £10-15m as splashing the clash.

The club really needs to start aiming higher.

Thats what i said no?

Anyway. My point is they may not be the most inspiring purchases but I think they'd improve upon what we have already. Gerrard leaving leaves us without that star draw and attraction to other top name players. The chance to play with him (and last year Suarez) was a massive draw. Its all well and good saying we need to buy quality etc etc but we went for Sanchez and Falcao and neither of them wanted to join. I'm all for us aiming high, and in an ideal world we'd get the likes of keidhra, draxler and cavani and all would be rosey - but a bit of realism is needed to understand where we are in the transfer market.
    We had CL to entice people last year and look who we got. Who will we be able to entice next year if we dont get back in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

gafferino wrote: »
    ah F*ck this I am p*ssed Gerrard is leaving. I understand both sides but F*ck it.
    He has ben a scapegoat this season for every poor performance despite the fact you have jordan Henderson who is stinking the place out all season and this will be our club captain holy mother of god

He has ben a scapegoat this season for every poor performance despite the fact you have jordan Henderson who is stinking the place out all season and this will be our club captain holy mother of god

Its not that I know all the pros/cons the reasons why the reasons why not but its just setting in that an absolute hero of a man and bastion of the club is leaving. It will be horrible to see him in another jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

garra wrote: »
    He was playing in the position of a defensive midfielder but that positioning was purely for the offensive side of our game when in possession, as we know and appreciated last season. For all the times he didn't track a runner we were treated to scything through-balls to the feet of S&S etc. He wasn't a brilliant defensive midfielder, he was a brilliant offensive midfielder. Tearing your hair out about his defensive frailties is a turgid and unedifying practice for a football fan imo.

But you need defensive qualities to play in that position. He had zero so I strongly disagree with describing his season as 'brilliant' as it's one of the problems having him in the squad. He's shoehorned into spots on the team that overall make us weaker because Rodgers feels the need to accommodate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

8% success rate. Still the way forward

8% Success rate of world beaters who can change a game. not all players are signed to be world superstars and game changers.
    That logic has Toure,Coutinho,Henderson,Bellamy ,Meireles and Raheem Sterling as flops ,which I could argue they were not
    Some players are signed (and price and wages match this) to be solid reliable performers. Every club has plenty of these , be the Real Madrid ,Chelseas or Man united. On top of that several of these signings are for the future ,it is too early to call them Flop or Hit .
    So the 8% is BS.

im not happy with our Transfer strategy but that article is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hope people don't miss how violently stupid it is that we haven't bought Valdes.

pure idiocy.

unless Utd were his boyhood club or some shít while he was in fúcking La Masia, then there are genuinely no excuses. he's going to be fúcking bench fodder there for fúck's sake.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i hope people don't miss how violently stupid it is that we haven't bought Valdes.

pure idiocy.

unless Utd were his boyhood club or some shít while he was in fúcking La Masia, then there are genuinely no excuses. he's going to be fúcking bench fodder there for fúck's sake.

No doubt we offered him a pay as you play contract or some ****. When it comes to wages we just don't seem to compete for top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

SlickRic wrote: »

pure idiocy.

Unless De Gea is sold.

Tony Barrett reckons we weren't interested. That's even more infuriating that losing a straight bidding war with United over wages.

Think it might be Ward, the 3rd keeper

Has he two hands? If so stick him in goal Saturday.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Unless De Gea is sold.

Tony Barrett reckons we weren't interested. That's even more infuriating that losing a straight bidding war with United over wages.

F*ck the wages.... it was a free transfer. 2 years at least from him and would immediately raise the standard and competition in the GK department.

Funny if De Gea leaves. Finally starts showing his potential after United developed him only for him to head straight to Madrid. Buying Spanish players is always going to be risky business and their heart will never be in the pl if they reach the level that one of the big two want them in Spain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement