Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

Re Suso to Milan.

An interesting article here on some of the so called big prospects that were moved on over the years...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/now-liverpool-fc-wonderkids-who-8400416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats what i said no?

Anyway. My point is they may not be the most inspiring purchases but I think they'd improve upon what we have already. Gerrard leaving leaves us without that star draw and attraction to other top name players. The chance to play with him (and last year Suarez) was a massive draw. Its all well and good saying we need to buy quality etc etc but we went for Sanchez and Falcao and neither of them wanted to join. I'm all for us aiming high, and in an ideal world we'd get the likes of keidhra, draxler and cavani and all would be rosey - but a bit of realism is needed to understand where we are in the transfer market.
    We had CL to entice people last year and look who we got. Who will we be able to entice next year if we dont get back in there?

My post had a typo that I have now amended but I wouldn't call Shaqiri splashing the cash.

It's all well and good saying we went for Falcao and Sanchez but I often think the efforts are half hearted to make it look like they are trying but in reality they are not. It's money is the issue and it's going to cost us big time unless we get very lucky, which is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Has he two hands? If so stick him in goal Saturday.

Wales U-21 keeper. GK Sub for last few games with Jones injured. Don't think he's ever played first team. Have some vague notion in the back of my mind that he might have been out on loan last year but could be wrong.

Wouldn't have minded seeing him against not-really-Wimbledon but don't see him getting a league chance any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Re Suso to Milan.

An interesting article here on some of the so called big prospects that were moved on over the years...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/now-liverpool-fc-wonderkids-who-8400416

I always temper any excitement of a great new talent in the youths or reserve team by remebering how Ritchie Partridge never made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

gafferino wrote: »
    F*ck the wages.... it was a free transfer. 2 years at least from him and would immediately raise the standard and competition in the GK department.

Valdes is as bad if not worse than migolet in terms on commanding his area.
    His qualities are very similar to our current number 1, apart from the fact that he's on a free I don't see the attraction.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I always temper any excitement of a great new talent in the youths or reserve team by remebering how Ritchie Partridge never made it.

Paul Anderson was another as well that we bought from someone at about 16 as he was about to be the next big thing.

The difference with Suso is that apart from the fact that I actually saw a lot of him at underage, I thought he did quite well for us in his first team appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Suso is also leaving on his terms. In the past we would have released most of those players. Suso has chosen to run down his contract and sign for another club. I know they aren't quite the team of the past but he also isn't heading to second division Scunthorpe or the like, he's heading to Milan. Hard to say how he will develop but certinaly sorry he didn't get more oportunities here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the only real attraction I can see with Valdes is that he is not Mignolet *,but surely that attribute is in every other Keeper.

*One could also add leader and experience in winning things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FA Cup Game V Bolton live on BT Sport on the 24th at 5:30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suso could be "our Coutinho" if you see what I mean, luckily we have Coutinho!

• Advertisement

Never seen the comparison as players. They have hugely different skillsets. Suso if he develops I think will end up in one of the deeper midfield roles. Not sure he would ever be good enough defensively though in the premeriship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Never seen the comparison as players. They have hugely different skillsets. Suso if he develops I think will end up in one of the deeper midfield roles. Not sure he would ever be good enough defensively though in the premeriship.

It's a cliche, but I suspect his size and stength might have played against him ...if your going to be rodgers diddyman you have to be quick with the ball at your feet. Not really his game. Tidy player, nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If James Milner is available, go and get him. A very under rated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

But you need defensive qualities to play in that position. He had zero so I strongly disagree with describing his season as 'brilliant' as it's one of the problems having him in the squad. He's shoehorned into spots on the team that overall make us weaker because Rodgers feels the need to accommodate him.

This is the part I disagree with. Last season we defended from the front, by pressing the opposition and forcing turn-over of possession earlier. If teams were good enough to work their way around that press then fair play to them, they were in with a chance to score. That setup was so different to the traditional setup in its player requirements that any comparison of the relative strengths of the players is futile, except for the position of goalkeeper. Actually, scratch that, even the keeper had to kick more than usual in that system.
    If you cannot see why you are missing the point about Gerrard's role in the team last year being the perfect fit for a player of his skill set, we will just have to disagree on the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Yeah I remember that era too, whatever happened to him?

Didn't mean that, I was talking about the way a player is not ultimately given much of a chance to become a first team player goes out on loan and then gets sold on (or released in this case). He could be handy pick up for Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

garra wrote: »

Very injured - couldn't stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Didn't mean that, I was talking about the way a player is not ultimately given much of a chance to become a first team player goes out on loan and then gets sold on (or released in this case). He could be handy pick up for Milan.

Got his chance every day in training if he deserved more playing time, Rodgers would have definitely given it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I seen on the Echo Skrtel had a 30th birthday party & Rodgers was at it. I find that strange tbh.
    The impression I get from his interviews is that he is too easy on the players & some of them are in a comfort zone.

• Advertisement

"No Martin I won't be there as I don't think you are good enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

garra wrote: »

Physio with the u-21s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Fromvert wrote: »

I've been saying this so much that he's become rated!

Got his chance every day in training if he deserved more playing time, Rodgers would have definitely given it to him

He was injured for most of the season and out on loan the previous one. When he did get a chance this season, his only one he was very good and scored a goal. Even if Rodgers wanted to give him a chance he couldn't as it has been clear for months he was heading to Milan. Unless he changed his mind there was no point in Rodgers playing him and including him in his plan. Suso leaving/lack of playing time has little to do with Liverpool not fancy him, by all reports we have offered him contract but he has chosen Milan for whatever reason. (Prob money)

MD1990 wrote: »
    I seen on the Echo Skrtel had a 30th birthday party & Rodgers was at it. I find that strange tbh.
    The impression I get from his interviews is that he is too easy on the players & some of them are in a comfort zone.

You expect them to hibernate?

Once they are professional about it, it's no big deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

"No Martin I won't be there as I don't think you are good enough"

Is that you Dad?

• Advertisement

Should Rodgers really be attending though? I think that is being too close to the players.

Them:confused: Im talking about Rodgers attending. Of course there is nothing worong with team mates attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's a 30th, milestone birthday, he invited his boss to a gathering, if you find that strange then you need to stop for a second, then start finding a hobby instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's a 30th, milestone birthday, he invited his boss to a gathering, if you find that strange then you need to stop for a second, then start finding a hobby instead

People get upset about the strangest things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Suso leaving/lack of playing time has little to do with Liverpool not fancy him, by all reports we have offered him contract but he has chosen Milan for whatever reason. (Prob money)
    The story in the Spanish media during the summer was that the contract negotiations were over very quickly - Liverpool wanted him to sign a new contract so he could be sent out on loan again, he wanted a chance to prove himself in the first team squad.

• Advertisement

Don't know what a hobby has got to do with but anyway.
    Its not a big deal but i would say most managers wouldn't attend. Prefering to keep distance to the players.
    People get upset about the strangest things.

Im not upset about it but I get the impression Rodgers is too friendly with the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That Markovic lad has been ****e. All the more annoying with his billy big balls I'll take the premiership by storm bantz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

30 myself next week, I preferred when I was younger than footballers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Vicxas wrote: »
    Pushes for Liverpool....

There's a term that's very rarely been said about a footballer :(

Ah he has obviously seen how any big players linked with Liverpool over the past couple of seasons have managed to nail down transfers to the clubs they really wanna go to so is hoping the same magic can work for him! Simples ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Suarez did carry us last season. I've never said that means nobody else had good seasons though? :confused:

For clarity Gerrard had an excellent season. So did Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge. Jon Flannagan had a very good one too.

Suarez was the main catalyst our title challenge though & for our general form though. His brilliance was quite infectious I believe. Gerrard is actually the only player in our entire squad who has shown he can be brilliant without Suarez around.

Sturrudge has always had a very good goals per minute ratio for Liverpool WITHOUT Suarez has he not? Just to be facetious we also have several players in our squad that were perhaps not brilliant but very good for Southampton last year and they also had no Suarez around. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

naughtb4 wrote: »
    30 myself next week, I preferred when I was younger than footballers

Are you inviting your boss to the party??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nothing wrong with it. Its not a common thing. If it was a weekly thing or more regular thing I would agree.

Also wouldnt read much into his interviews, he does love to waffle on a bit but most of it is scripted stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Who gives a flying f**k what Andy Gray thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

On talk f**king sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

You speaking for everyone there yeh?? No need to go all Al Pacino on me, I was just putting it up for people who "may" want to read it as it was a bit controversial. I couldnt give a "flying Fcuk" if people read it or not. No ones forcing you or anyone to read it so calm down there now. Its there if anyone wants to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That Al Pacino line killed me.

tvercetti wrote: »
    Are you inviting your boss to the party??
    His boss shouldn't go. Needs to keep distance from his employees ;)

That Markovic lad has been ****e. All the more annoying with his billy big balls I'll take the premiership by storm bantz.

Ha! But the thread consensus is that he's been great recently!!! :eek:

Thought Markovic has done well considering being played out of position. Of course we have people who only see in black and white on here recently, no middle ground allowed.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ha! But the thread consensus is that he's been great recently!!! :eek:
    He has improved. But his performances have been overated a bit. Needs to get stonger & his finishing is horrific.

He has improved. But his performances have been overated a bit. Needs to get stonger & his finishing is horrific.

Right. I wouldn't pay half his fee tomorrow having seen what I've seen, put it that way:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Fromvert wrote: »

We would want to be tapping him up now, offer him what he wants, tell him he can play in CM.

A better natural footballer than Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thought Markovic has done well considering being played out of position. Of course we have people who only see in black and white on here recently, no middle ground allowed.

you thought wrong billy big balls

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Right. I wouldn't pay half his fee tomorrow having seen what I've seen, put it that way:

To be fair and provide a bit of balance in this, you and I have seen far far less then qualified people paid for their opinions on players have.

I will agree with you though, that price is steep for a player who is not a guaranteed starter. Also I might be shouted down for this but he reminds me of Ryan Babel quite a bit, looks promising at times but fades in and out of games, makes poor choices, not great finishing and sloppy passing at times.

Ya he's young but the fee cannot be ignored. For a club with apparent limited resources, spending 20m on a player that doesn't improve us or is a guaranteed starter is almost absurd. Potential or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement