Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thought Markovic has done well considering being played out of position. Of course we have people who only see in black and white on here recently, no middle ground allowed.

Markovic has been a lot better recently even out of position. Admittedly after a pretty poor start but some people don't want to give 20 year olds who move to a new country and new league any time to settle. Have to be brilliant from the start. His transfer fee is not any of his doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

tvercetti wrote: »
    Are you inviting your boss to the party??

We are not that close :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

His transfer fee is not any of his doing.

I agree, but it is a talking point when considering value for money etc. Happy with the signing but i do think the money could be better spent, but thats just me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

We would want to be tapping him up now, offer him what he wants, tell him he can play in CM.

A better natural footballer than Henderson.

Milner is probably better than anything Liverpool have in midfield at the moment, and if it's possible to get him for nothing, it's a no brainer.

He doesn't get the plaudits he deserves because he doesn't get enough game time.
    Pochettino can't fit him into their team and is giving him sub appearances to make him push more for a starting place.
    Something which is never going to really happen for him at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Milner is probably better than anything Liverpool have in midfield at the moment, and if it's possible to get him for nothing, it's a no brainer.

He doesn't get the plaudits he deserves because he doesn't get enough game time.
    Pochettino can't fit him into their team and is giving him sub appearances to make him push more for a starting place.
    Of course he can't he doesn't manage City:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

There's a reason why he doesn't get the gametime he wanted - he'd be better out wide than anyone we have right now playing as more consistant, hard to call if he could ever be as good inside a more central role cos its been that long since he's played there.

Free transfer ... snap him up.

Just walking Sky Sports - "Stoke interested in signing Shaqiri" ... WTF! Interesting that nobody else is being bandied about, us Inter - Spurs to make a last gasp scoop?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Of course he can't he doesn't manage City:p

First post in the Soccer forum, great start anyway... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Welcome.

I see by your username that you have taken Gerrard's imminent departure quite badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

****ing billy big balls look at my first post

****ing billy big balls look at my first post

Steve big balls if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

YrR9lYI.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

DiehardWelcomeToThePartyPal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Talk of Luis Suarez leaving Barca and heading back to the Premier League. Probably nonsense and just based on the slight turmoil going on off the field there, but I would hate Suarez to head back to the Premier because it wouldn't be to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

monkey9 wrote: »
    Talk of Luis Suarez leaving Barca and heading back to the Premier League. Probably nonsense and just based on the slight turmoil going on off the field there, but I would hate Suarez to head back to the Premier because it wouldn't be to Liverpool.

Well he hasn't exactly lit the league alight. He's been a bit hit and miss so far so I can see where the rumour has come from.

I could have seen it happening had Barca not had a transfer ban on incoming players. They wont let him go now because they cant replace him. I'd be shocked if they let anyone go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

monkey9 wrote: »

Why wouldnt it be Liverpool? Rodgers pretty much built the team around him so he'd slot right back in surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Kirby wrote: »
    Well he hasn't exactly lit the league alight. He's been a bit hit and miss so far so I can see where the rumour has come from.

I could have seen it happening had Barca not had a transfer ban on incoming players. They wont let him go now because they cant replace him. I'd be shocked if they let anyone go.

Exactly. Is the transfer ban in place in this window

Vicxas wrote: »
    Why wouldnt it be Liverpool? Rodgers pretty much built the team around him so he'd slot right back in surely?

Because other teams will pay more and win more. That's the bottom line. He isn't going to go back to a Liverpool team who may or may not make the champions league.

He's 27 now. If he leaves Barca in the next few years, it will be to a PSG, City or Chelsea style club. Mega rich, always in Europe and win something every year.
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Exactly. Is the transfer ban in place in this window

Yes.

We couldn't afford him for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Try negotiate a swap with Gerrard, they're on par judging by some of posts in recent days...although if Suarez is having a dip in form we might be getting a raw deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

FSG wouldn't pay the money to have him back.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, we'd need to sell about 6 players to afford Suarez, and even then he'd probably prefer elsewhere due to a better chance of success :(

If it was a matter of selling those players (50m from Allen, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert) and a bit more then do it. Won't happen though.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Try negotiate a swap with Gerrard, they're on par judging by some of posts in recent days...although if Suarez is having a dip in form we might be getting a raw deal.

Nope.

Suarez>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gerrard>young hungry players with potential

Do keep up.

I'd actually love if Suarez was offered to Liverpool for £65m though tbh and Suarez came out and admitted he was interested in moving home. Would really expose the FSG strategy for the loseball nonsense it is when they turned down the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I doubt Barca are willing to throw in the towel on a £70m signing before one season is even finished.

That being said, I'd be absolutely sick to see the man in the colours of another PL Team. :(

I doubt Barca are willing to throw in the towel on a £70m signing before one season is even finished.

That being said, I'd be absolutely sick to see the man in the colours of another PL Team. :(

Do you reckon he'd go to another PL team?

Id be inclined to agree with the guys that he'd go off to PSG or some other moneyball team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Id be inclined to agree with the guys that he'd go off to PSG or some other moneyball team.

Look back a couple of Summers ago and look at what he wanted to happen (move to Arsenal). The man's a hero but he wouldn't above throwing on the colours of City tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is barca, they didn't give Ibra very long and he cost north of €69m. Sold Sanchez for less than they bought him, spent years chasing Cesc and sent him back to premier league not long after. Its very tough for a player to succeed at that club due to the board and politics. The man that signed him as already been sacked sure.

He has the quality to succeed there but if he doesn't and was offered back to us, I doubt our owners would jump, they will look at it that he's 28 and its too much for him, which is BS.

I'd say he'd go to another PL team no bother if that was best for his career. I believe his stint at Liverpool wouldn't affect his decision in that respect in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sure it was only 18 months ago he was giving interviews to two national broadsheets in an attempt to force through a move to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why would Suarez leave when he will become the man when they sell Messi :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We have Ricky Lambert. Why would we want Suarez back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are in the worst shape we have been in for years.

Even a loyal Suarez we could afford wouldn't come near us at as this stage in his career when he will be wanting to challenge for things.

Of course, he isn't really going anywhere so a moot point for me!

Why would Suarez leave when he will become the man when they sell Messi :pac:

Madrid need someone to compete with Messi, could be tempted to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Madrid need someone to compete with Messi, could be tempted to go there.

I doubt Barca would leave him go though, they need him, Neymar and Messi to compete with Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Linked with pjanic this morning. 30 million euro deal.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Right. I wouldn't pay half his fee tomorrow having seen what I've seen, put it that way:

No, definitely not.

I wouldn't have bought him at all based on what we have seen, I keep hoping that there is something there though based on previous club exploits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

noodler wrote: »
    No, definitely not.

I wouldn't have bought him at all based on what we have seen, I keep hoping that there is something there though based on previous club exploits.

He's 20, lads.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He's 20, lads.

Young hungry player with potential

£1m for every birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If Markovic were a product of the youth team who was being tried in the first team, we'd all be saying it was too much too soon. And if we had to put a value on him it would be about 6m.

That's an indication of his performances so far. He could come good.

At the moment he lacks the physocal and mental maturity. A bit like Henderson in his early days. A bit of a scared lamb.

If he can make the turnaround Henderson did in these departments then we could be talking about a potentially good player, but that remains to be seen.

20m seems a bit crazy and more the targetting of a very young player in this position when we desperately needed a player of established quality

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He's 20, lads.

He cost €20m.

Players who cost €20m should make some contribution to a the first team.

As yet, for reasons of down to his own performances and the managers, he has not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ricero wrote: »
    Linked with pjanic this morning. 30 million euro deal.

hes 25 soon, seems a bit old for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yes please to Pjanic, but we'd still need a more defensive minded midfielder to come in, especially if Lucas leaves in the summer.

Striker is an utmost priority right now, though.

Bony to Man City for £30M.

Glad to see we're not the only team to pay over the odds ;)

Also, yes please very much to Pjanic.

Bony to Man City for £30M.

Glad to see we're not the only team to pay over the odds ;)

Also, yes please very much to Pjanic.

It's not really over the odds when you examine everything. What he was bought for. What he means to the selling club. Scoring the most goals in 2014.

I'd say the price is about standard to be honest. Now, I don't think personally he is good enough for City but that's another point really. They didn't overpay.

Also, Pjanic is a very good player. Would improve the Liverpool midfield for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    He cost €20m.

Players who cost €20m should make some contribution to a the first team.

As yet, for reasons of down to his own performances and the managers, he has not.

I think it was 20m pounds not euro which is even worse.

Markovic stands for a failed transfer policy. Basically his signing is everything that is wrong with how we do business in the transfer market. Harsh because its not his fault but thats the truth if we are all honest about it.

He is 20, in a new league, country, team with a new manager tactics etc etc
    Yes he deserves time and is showing signs he could be a decent squad player or possible starter. But why spend 20m on a young player that we dont really need. 20m on a player that isn't a starter, doesn't improve our team and may (potentially) never be good enough. That is a huge risk. I think thats why the player gets a lot of stick which to be fair isn't his fault.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's not really over the odds when you examine everything. What he was bought for. What he means to the selling club. Scoring the most goals in 2014.

I'd say the price is about standard to be honest. Now, I don't think personally he is good enough for City but that's another point really. They didn't overpay.

Also, Pjanic is a very good player. Would improve the Liverpool midfield for sure.

I just don't think he's worth 30M, but this seems the way the market is going lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I don't get all the Marko-bashing.

He is only half way through his first season with us. He has been either brought on as a sub or taken off in every league game bar one. He's been used away from his best position. And this is all part of a stuttering team who are without both starting strikers last year.

EVERY young player moving to England gets a season to settle in. If you look at Silva and Mata, they both had 50% more goals and assists in their second seasons, compared to the first. And they were 23/22 when they arrived, after a number of years in a strong league.

I will bet now that Marko has double figures of assists next season...

Blatter wrote: »
    I doubt Barca would leave him go though, they need him, Neymar and Messi to compete with Ronaldo and his supplements.

Lol.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I think it was 20m pounds not euro which is even worse.

Markovic stands for a failed transfer policy. Basically his signing is everything that is wrong with how we do business in the transfer market. Harsh because its not his fault but thats the truth if we are all honest about it.

He is 20, in a new league, country, team with a new manager tactics etc etc
    Yes he deserves time and is showing signs he could be a decent squad player or possible starter. But why spend 20m on a young player that we dont really need. 20m on a player that isn't a starter, doesn't improve our team and may (potentially) never be good enough. That is a huge risk. I think thats why the player gets a lot of stick which to be fair isn't his fault.

Sorry, € is just a habit. Agree with all that.
    Dickerty wrote: »
    I don't get all the Marko-bashing.

He is only half way through his first season with us. He has been either brought on as a sub or taken off in every league game bar one. He's been used away from his best position. And this is all part of a stuttering team who are without both starting strikers last year.

EVERY young player moving to England gets a season to settle in. If you look at Silva and Mata, they both had 50% more goals and assists in their second seasons, compared to the first. And they were 23/22 when they arrived, after a number of years in a strong league.

I will bet now that Marko has double figures of assists next season...

I hope so too!

However, we need to not equate criticism of his signing with criticism of the player himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dickerty wrote: »
    EVERY young player moving to England gets a season to settle in.
    Coutinho seems to have gone backwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement