Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Coutinho seems to have gone backwards.
    In fairness, he is missing Sturridge and Suarez's runs/space created.
    His shooting seems to have improved(though now he is hitting straight at the keeper instead of the crowd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

noodler wrote: »
    However, we need to not equate criticism of his signing with criticism of the player himself.

But why are we criticising the signing? If we think he'll improve when he settles in, and he brings pace and directness, which we have lost a bit in the absence of Suarez, then is he not the right TYPE of player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Is there any stat on Markovic's (successful) dribbles seems to go on great runs but then just lose the ball a lot...the sort of guy that would wreck your head in 5 a side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dickerty wrote: »
    But why are we criticising the signing? If we think he'll improve when he settles in, and he brings pace and directness, which we have lost a bit in the absence of Suarez, then is he not the right TYPE of player?

The team is struggling, the player is rarely used, when he is used he looks less than effective.

Therefore, people will naturally feel we could have spent 20m pounds a HELL of alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't get all the Marko-bashing.

He is only half way through his first season with us. He has been either brought on as a sub or taken off in every league game bar one. He's been used away from his best position. And this is all part of a stuttering team who are without both starting strikers last year.

EVERY young player moving to England gets a season to settle in. If you look at Silva and Mata, they both had 50% more goals and assists in their second seasons, compared to the first. And they were 23/22 when they arrived, after a number of years in a strong league.

I will bet now that Marko has double figures of assists next season...

Really? You don't get why people are wondering what the **** the story is given he cost £20m?

Any date set for Sturridge return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »

Physio Rooms has it as Jan 31st, probably just a placeholder.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NukaCola wrote: »
    I think it was 20m pounds not euro which is even worse.

Markovic stands for a failed transfer policy. Basically his signing is everything that is wrong with how we do business in the transfer market. Harsh because its not his fault but thats the truth if we are all honest about it.

He is 20, in a new league, country, team with a new manager tactics etc etc
    Yes he deserves time and is showing signs he could be a decent squad player or possible starter. But why spend 20m on a young player that we dont really need. 20m on a player that isn't a starter, doesn't improve our team and may (potentially) never be good enough. That is a huge risk. I think thats why the player gets a lot of stick which to be fair isn't his fault.

I doubt anyone who is criticising his signing thinks any differently to this.

He may well improve and be worth £20. He may well improve and be worth a lot more, but there is a decent chance that he will continue to struggle and be sold more £5m or so in 18 months having not delivered any real benefits to the squad/team. For a team with limited funds (even one with the Suarez money to spend) it was a baffling purchase given his ability to contribute this season.

Everyone hopes he comes good, but the money could and should have been spent on a more appropriate player given our needs and financial position. If he cost 7m and had contributed what he had to date there would be far less criticism of the deal in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Physio Rooms has it as Jan 31st, probably just a placeholder.

Yeah, wouldn't put much faith in any date. Even the day he's back in the squad I'll be expecting him to pull a hamstring putting on his jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Really? You don't get why people are wondering what the **** the story is given he cost £20m?

And his previous form over the last 2 seasons is completely ignored, because he hasn't done it immediately on arrival? He's already been completely judged, and that's not fair. We are too quick to do this.

Yes, he cost a lot, but that has no impact on how quickly we should expect him to settle. History proves that MOST players arriving from abroad take time.
    Even Suarez took time, he was getting a lot of stick for his poor finishing.
    LEST WE FORGET!!!

And his previous form over the last 2 seasons is completely ignored, because he hasn't done it immediately on arrival? He's already been completely judged, and that's not fair. We are too quick to do this.

Yes, he cost a lot, but that has no impact on how quickly we should expect him to settle. History proves that MOST players arriving from abroad take time.
    LEST WE FORGET!!!

You are looking at it from a HR point of view.

LEST WE FORGET!!!

You can't compare him to Suarez. While Suarez had a less than spectacular finishing rate in his first 18 months, he still contributed plenty of goals and assists, not to mention his tenacity and work rate.

If Suarez continued with those stats in his entire time it would still have been 24m well spent in his case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the playground level of discussion here I take it no one has got ****ed er signed overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would Liverpool take back the £20m they spent on him tomorrow if given the chance. Yes, 100%.

He may still come good but the above fact is a fairly damning indictment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I would love Markovic to make it. I like players who are lightning quick and run at people, it's why I like Moreno as a signing also, runs directly at players and takes them on.

Neither are up to scratch yet, but I feel players with those sort of attributes are generally pretty raw at a young age (Robben's first year after signing for PSV springs to mind, Sterling's early form is kind of similar but he's a level above). More experience, strength and more work on finishing will only make these kids better. What should be encouraged right now is not playing with fear - keeping on running at people even if you only get past them once in 4, not getting discouraged after bad touches/misplaced passes etc. Knocks to the confidence now will not help anything. I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in limiting appearances. At this stage I don't care what the cost was, that's for the media and forums to discuss and complain about, we are where we are and they are Liverpool players now. These kids will only progress and have the possibility of living up to their price tags if their game time is managed correctly, and their talent is coached correctly to deal with the reality of the league.

Markovic is no lost cause, he has talent. The main problem he has is his price tag.

• Advertisement

Given the playground level of discussion here I take it no one has got ****ed er signed overnight

Hmm, I ran this through my translator, but it still came out unintelligible I'm afraid.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's not really over the odds when you examine everything. What he was bought for. What he means to the selling club. Scoring the most goals in 2014.

I'd say the price is about standard to be honest...............QUOTE]

It's certainly an interesting marker as to what the standard now is, 26 year old striker, a season and a half PL experience, a goal every 2 games ish (slightly less) for a midtable side that do play football, good injury record (as in plays plenty games/season). Won't play as much with Man City presumably.

It makes Moreno look savage value as a defender with 2 goals from 14 appearances, Bony 9 PL goals from 20 appearances this season :pac:

5starpool wrote: »
    Hmm, I ran this through my translator, but it still came out unintelligible I'm afraid.

No one has got f*cked or signed overnight?

Blatter wrote: »
    Would Liverpool take back the £20m they spent on him tomorrow if given the chance. Yes, 100%...................

To be fair that's complete speculation on your part.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No one has got f*cked or signed overnight?

Perhaps. The 'er' threw me. I has assumed it was saying that we had signed no one overnight, but the er and the swear word threw me.

I'll accept your version for the crochety old man's post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Would Liverpool take back the £20m they spent on him tomorrow if given the chance. Yes, 100%.

He may still come good but the above fact is a fairly damning indictment.

I doubt they would. And if they would they are simply even more incompetent than I thought.

I really wish transfer window didn't in effect mean transfer week as far as Liverpool are concerned in January. Aside from Sturridge I can't think of any January transfer that was concluded in early January for Liverpool. If you are doing business then just get it done ffs. I realise clubs don't want to sell either in some cases, but surely EVERYTHING doesn't have to drag on? I'm actually pretty shocked we haven't been properly linked with a keeper this window given what we've seen so far this season. The only links I've seen are to Neto, and those have been tenuous enough I think.

We could also sign no one of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think its pathetic that a 20 year old in a new league and country gets jumped on by some supporters. Its not his fault he cost so much.

Give the guy a chance ffs. He's got a good few years to go in his development yet.

For me I really like him so far, its brilliant to see him running at players with his pace and directness. His decision making needs to improve and it will in time.

Augeo wrote: »
    I doubt they would. And if they would they are simply even more incompetent than I thought.

I'd be shocked if they wouldn't tbh. From what I've seen of him, I would say he has similar ability/potential to Salah, who cost £11m.

I'd be shocked if they wouldn't tbh. From what I've seen of him, I would say he has similar ability/potential to Salah, who cost £11m.

If they expected a 20 year to come in and light it up straight away then their idiots tbh. They paid £20m for his potential, not his here and now. I don't think he's shown that his potential is lower than they would have originally thought.

If they expected a 20 year to come in and light it up straight away then their idiots tbh. They paid £20m for his potential, not his here and now. I don't think he's shown that his potential is lower than they would have originally thought.

This is the key point and where I disagree. From what I've seen so far, his potential doesn't look like it's worth £20m.

I would also say he was bought for both the here and now, and his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

He has been in the states but appears to be coming home:

https://twitter.com/D_Sturridge/status/553157645281263617

Like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Like a new signing.
    Best piece of business we'll do this January is buying his ticket back #youhearditherefirst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Connavar wrote: »
    In fairness, he is missing Sturridge and Suarez's runs/space created.
    His shooting seems to have improved(though now he is hitting straight at the keeper instead of the crowd)

Don't diss the count!

I think he has been very good the last month or so, creating loads of chances, but we can't score in the proverbial.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5starpool wrote: »
    You can't compare him to Suarez. While Suarez had a less than spectacular finishing rate in his first 18 months, he still contributed plenty of goals and assists, not to mention his tenacity and work rate.

If Suarez continued with those stats in his entire time it would still have been 24m well spent in his case.

Also worth nothing that Suarez was still at Groningen at Markovic's age.

Like a new signing.

Can he play in goal?

Looks like Shaqiri is off to Inter:
    The news out of Italy is that Shaqiri to Inter deal is done. €2m initial loan, then €12m in June.
    by Football365 12:49 PM

Vicxas wrote: »
    Looks like Shaqiri is off to Inter:

Not that we know anything for sure, but it would seem Stoke showed more interest than we did. Bewildering.

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't diss the count!

I think he has been very good the last month or so, creating loads of chances, but we can't score in the proverbial.

He seems to be a bit of a fall guy. He can be a bit greedy but I reckon he's been told he needs to add more goals to his game. But he's the main player we have with the vision to offer any kind of threat from that position. He'll get a lot of the Gerrard anger directed his way next season unless he's contributing to 3 goals a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's a steal for Shaqiri, would love to see him at LFC for that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That's crazy that we weren't in for Shaquri, especially at that price. He's strong and pacey, and perfect for the premiership.

If get Pjanic, I'd be very pleased. But we really, really need a striker and a keeper still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Not that we know anything for sure, but it would seem Stoke showed more interest than we did. Bewildering.

Based on some incredibly solid newspaper speculation.

I'm sold.

daRobot wrote: »
    That's crazy that we weren't in for Shaquri, especially at that price. He's strong and pacey, and perfect for the premiership.

If get Pjanic, I'd be very pleased. But we really, really need a striker and a keeper still.

Is it crazy if we are being investigated for FFP?

Surely we need to sell before we buy?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    rob316 wrote: »
    I think its pathetic that a 20 year old in a new league and country gets jumped on by some supporters. Its not his fault he cost so much.

Give the guy a chance ffs. He's got a good few years to go in his development yet.

For me I really like him so far, its brilliant to see him running at players with his pace and directness. His decision making needs to improve and it will in time.
    This is the key point and where I disagree. From what I've seen so far, his potential doesn't look like it's worth £20m.

Christ, I'd have thought it was painfully obvious that we would take a refund on Lazar now if given the chance.

Same with Mario.

Same with Lovren.

I'll disagree with both. He's shown he's got very good potential, hard to know if he reaches it though. Honestly the one thing he really lacks is a good end product.

He was bought to have a place in the squad. I don't think he was ever expected to perform to a £20m level straight away. He's been solid enough when called upon which is what the club/fans/everyone would have expected, or should have at least.

noodler wrote: »
    Christ, I'd have thought it was painfully obvious that we would take a refund on Lazar now if given the chance.

Same with Mario.

Same with Lovren.

If our clubs is run by idiots then yes it's painfully obvious. Is our club run by idiots? Quite possibly, hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I'm genuinely sorry I came in here.

I'm genuinely sorry I came in here.

Awh dont say that, i'm sorry, it wasnt me it was the cherry brandy talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is it crazy if we are being investigated for FFP?

Surely we need to sell before we buy?

What is the story with that? Are we limited due to the investigation? I thought someone from the club came out and said we were above board with all that stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Fromvert wrote: »
    If James Milner is available, go and get him. A very under rated player.

i'd have to question his motivation and passion.... he's a good player but has sat on the bench for years and picked up a healthy pay check for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't know what a hobby has got to do with but anyway.
    Its not a big deal but i would say most managers wouldn't attend. Prefering to keep distance to the players.

Im not upset about it but I get the impression Rodgers is too friendly with the players.

sure didnt Kenny go to Boyzone or West life or something with Andy Carroll ??

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

mada999 wrote: »
    i'd have to question his motivation and passion.... he's a good player but has sat on the bench for years and picked up a healthy pay check for it...
    I honestly couldn't give a fiddlers about a players passion and motivation as long as he plays well when on the pitch, which milner has to date

mada999 wrote: »

He's had a reasonable amount of game time for City. He hasn't been a nailed on regular for them by any means, but he's certainly not comparable to the likes of Rodwell.

If our clubs is run by idiots then yes it's painfully obvious. Is our club run by idiots? Quite possibly, hard to know.

You seem to be suggesting it would be idiotic to accept a 20m bid for Lazar now if one were to miraculously materialise.

I disagree, we haven't seen nearly enough to think he will be an important player for us in the future or even claw back the majority of his transfer fee.

Early days of course, I wouldn't let him go for a song, I am just saying, would we still have bought him with the benefit of hindsight? (or even a little foresight!).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement