Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I don't see any evidence of World beating performances from Balotelli, I don't.

If you look back at his career he has given some world class performances and can be a game winner on his own . The only problem is he rarely performs to a high level . It feels like he is lazy or just not bothered to help the team 9 out of 10 games he plays .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

mav79 wrote: »
    Or at least put a bid in for Strootman or Lacazette. Areas that need strengthening instead of yet more attacking midfielders.

Isn't Lacazette an attacking midfielder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

x43r0 wrote: »
    Completely agree

I had 2 tickets to the Newcastle game at the end of last season and at the height of our title challenge I was called stupid by friends when I could have gotten upwards of a grand for them

we had tickets for the 3-2 man city game last season. one of the best 90 minutes of my life and the befores and afters. could have gotten hundreds but the memories are priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Shaqiri to Inter doesn't matter, no doubt we'll be sign the Czechslovakian next big thing for £30 million next week.
    Who needs a good player who can fit right into your first team when you can sign a lad that may or may not be decent in a few years. Baffling all together.

Unless you have a DeLorean handy.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn't Lacazette an attacking midfielder?

He's a French version of Sturridge and can play across the forward line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Unless you have a DeLorean handy.......:)

Fine. Next Soviet big thing then. They had a world class keeper last time I heard...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fine. Next Soviet big thing then. They had a world class keeper last time I heard...

Don't be silly. Yashin would cost at least £100,000. We don't have that sort of money to spend on a keeper.

Edit: Dasaev is a great up and coming young one though.

5starpool wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Yashin would cost at least £100,000. We don't have that sort of money to spend on a keeper.

They can't be any worse than the pair we have at the minute.
    Even if one of them has been dead for near 25 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

5starpool wrote: »

Dunno about that - the fella in the green here doesn't even make good contact with the ball - just shins it really, but that Dasaev fella well beaten! :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RainMaker wrote: »
    Dunno about that - the fella in the green here doesn't even make good contact with the ball - just shins it really, but that Dasaev fella well beaten! :)

In true soviet fashion he was expecting one of the other goals keepers to help save that one in their normal collective goalkeeping.

Watching Iago Aspas playing for Sevilla in the Copa del Rey.

He's missed 3 gilt edge chances.

How Rodgers, or the transfer committee thought he was "Moneyball" at €9 million is beyond me.

It's all about Helmuth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

And coming out on top in the "Moron of the Month" award, its the PFA chief executive, Gordon Taylor.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pfa-chief-gordon-taylor-under-4944907

Staggering.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    And coming out on top in the "Moron of the Month" award, its the PFA chief executive, Gordon Taylor.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pfa-chief-gordon-taylor-under-4944907

Staggering.

He should resign straight away.

Staggering.

Ugh, how has he a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ugh, how has he a job.

Its like a competition between himself and Blatter for the thickest individual to run a major sporting organisation. With these latest comments, Taylor has won the award, for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I understand what he's trying to say, but it's a stupid comparison and very insensitive to be dragging the Hillsborough families into this.

Ched Evans has been convicted of rape by a judge and jury in a court of law. Liverpool fans were not found guilty of anything and the families were trying to get to the truth of what happened to their loved ones.

Again, such a stupid comparison and now we're going to have a media sh!storm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Some man for the bets is Taylor, mad craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Augmerson wrote: »
    Some man for the bets is Taylor, mad craic.

Never even heard about the gambling. That's an heroic amount. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Staggering.

Taylor showing mind blowing ignorance with those quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Echo reporting Liverpool are unlikely to do much business in January.

Borini still reluctant to leave apparently.

Lambert won't be sold in January.

Still talking to Lille over Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Echo reporting Liverpool are unlikely to do much business in January.

Borini still reluctant to leave apparently.

Lambert won't be sold in January.

Still talking to Lille over Origi.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That makes the decision to drop Mignolet even worse now to be honest if there wasn't a goalkeeper lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Rickie Lambert staying put as Liverpool FC rule out move for striker

Jan 08, 2015
    By James Pearce

Liverpool FC insist striker Rickie Lambert is staying put during the January transfer window.

The 32-year-old frontman has attracted interest from Crystal Palace with new boss Alan Pardew keen to secure his services.

However, Brendan Rodgers has no intention of selling Lambert, who has found his opportunities limited following his £4.5million move from Southampton last summer.

The boyhood Reds fan, who penned a two-year deal, has only made 10 starts so far this term and the imminent return of Daniel Sturridge could further restrict his game-time.

But the signing of Lambert was always viewed as providing Liverpool with a Plan B and Rodgers wants to ensure they have that between now and the end of the campaign.

The Reds have had no approaches for Mario Balotelli – despite reports in Italy claiming that Olympiacos have offered to take him on loan for the rest of the season.

Balotelli’s future is uncertain after a miserable run of two goals in 17 appearances following his £16million move from AC Milan.

Fabio Borini, who hasn’t found the net in 12 appearances this season, was expected to leave Anfield during the current window.

However, so far there have been no bids for the Reds to consider and the striker remains reluctant to move on.

Liverpool accepted offers of £14million from Sunderland and £13million from Queens Park Rangers last summer but on both occasions Borini was unable to agree personal terms.

In terms of incomings, Liverpool are unlikely to do much business between now and deadline day.

They remain hopeful of bringing forward Divock Origi’s move to Anfield from Lille. The young Belgian striker, who was signed for £10million last summer, is keen to link up with the Reds this month and discussions with the French club are continuing.

With Brad Jones still hampered by a thigh injury, Liverpool may bring in an experienced goalkeeper on a short-term basis to compete with the under-pressure Simon Mignolet. Academy rookie Danny Ward has been warming the bench in recent weeks.

However, in terms of securing a new long-term No 1 that search is unlikely to reach a successful conclusion until the summer with the Reds believing that availability is an issue during the current window.

Petr Cech, who looks certain to leave Chelsea at the end of the season, is viewed as an ideal candidate. However, Liverpool fear he will want to remain in the capital which makes Arsenal favourites to land his signature.

The Reds are interested in snapping up Manchester City’s James Milner if he’s available on a free transfer in the summer.

The England midfielder looks increasingly likely to leave City after rejecting their offer of a new contract.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lambert-staying-put-reds-rule-8409494?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

So basically we have no money to spend this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mr Alan wrote: »
    LOL

Its like you want your football team to do bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I cannot see us getting 4th if we don't get some experience (or at the very least a proven striker) into the first 11.

I don't think we will get 4th anyway, but it would be nice to at least attempt a fight at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So basically we have no money to spend this window.

I think the one thing everyone agreed on in here was there was significant business required in Jan to attempt to salvage this season, and even to just arrest the decline we're in currently.

A lack of activity would lead me to believe FSG may not be as convinced Rodgers is their man as his apologists might have you believe.

Ps. Watch these same apologists now claiming new arrivals aren't a requirement this window. Particularly with Sturridge back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Liverpool may bring in an experienced goalkeeper on a short-term basis

Pity there wasn't any experienced keepers knocking about looking for a club.

We're run by clowns from top to bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No business in January would be a stackable offence for all involved.

Pure negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Other than the obvious "both" answer, do people think that the fault lies Mig being a ropey keeper, or Rodgers inability to coach defending, is the main reason behind us being sh*t at the back?

I never really thought Mig was that bad a keeper, and I still dont. I think when you have keystone cop defending in front of you for the best part of 2 seasons, its bound to effect your confidence, your ability to make judgement calls or command your box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think the one thing everyone agreed on in here was there was significant business required in Jan to attempt to salvage this season, and even to just arrest the decline we're in currently.

A lack of activity would lead me to believe FSG may not be as convinced Rodgers is their man as his apologists might have you believe.

Ps. Watch these same apologists now claiming new arrivals aren't a requirement this window. Particularly with Sturridge back :rolleyes:

That's just confirmation bias though and just as likely to be wrong as their view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Other than the obvious "both" answer, do people think that the fault lies Mig being a ropey keeper, or Rodgers inability to coach defending, is the main reason behind us being sh*t at the back?

I never really thought Mig was that bad a keeper, and I still dont. I think when you have keystone cop defending in front of you for the best part of 2 seasons, its bound to effect your confidence, your ability to make judgement calls or command your box.

It seems to me that fear and confusion are rampant in the defence. Very often the players simply dont know what to do. The fault here lies with Rodgers and the coaching staff.

Players like Skrtel and Mingolet can pull of instances of good performances because they have some ability, but cannot string them together because they aren't being coached effectively enough. Their positioning is all wrong, they don't know whether to stay or go. They don't anticipate problems.

Sahko has his moments but I think he just knows what needs to be done. I.e. get into the right position, get the ball away from the goal, pass to player on the same team. He doesn't really need to be coached.

Lallana is confused. He doesn't have the protection any more, he is unfamiliar with his teammates. The fear and uncertainty from Skrtel and Mingolet is seeping into him.

Kolo is fine, he's just getting on.

Honestly, if I was in charge, I'd be wary of giving him money to spend regardless of whether we need players or not
    (we clearly need a keeper and a pacy striker to fill in for Sturridge when he is injured again in a couple of months).

If they don't back him in the transfer market there is almost no chance of attaining fourth, so looks like we're pushing for a Europa League place at this stage.

What's with the apologists rubbish?
    And what decline are you referring to? 15 points from 24 since corner was turned in the PL :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im tellin ya its all a smokescreen for messi,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Pity there wasn't any experienced keepers knocking about looking for a club.

We're run by clowns from top to bottom.

There was actually 2, valdes who went to a club that didn't even need a second choice keeper.! (Would lindegaard be an upgrade on our two?) and Schwarzer went to Leicester on a free. Yeah he's 41 but he would have slotted in most likely.

Not buying anyone certainly ends a top 4 challenge imo.

Does anyone have an update on the FFP investigation into us?

Is this a factor in us not spending? I'm assuming it must unless we sell first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

So bringing in a load of players in the summer is the cause of disruption to the team as they settle in and get to know how to play with each other and the solution to that problem is...........bring in even more players??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

People get too caught up with referring to individuals.

For example if we dont buy in January its an indication of FSG having no faith in Rodgers and others claiming they may have a point in not giving money in January because we spent £120m in the summer.

Our summer spending came to a whopping £44m. However thats not the real picture, everyone seems to forget that this time last year we had at least £20m burning a hole in our pockets and earmarked for players only for Ayre to do his party piece and f it up. So in reality that money ahs been re-invested meaning a whopping £24m was our nets spend.

People need to seperate the manager and the Club, , people keep saying i wouldnt give Rodgers this or that. Its not about Rodgers. The Club needs these players, not the manager. The Club a striker and a goalkeeper irregardless of who the manager is.

If the excuse is that the owners dont want to spend in January as some form of punishment on the manager for not spending well in the summer then we are most definitely in trouble. Its like any business that needs investment. If you dont invest because you dont like the person running your business or trust him to spend it wisely then get rid and get someone in that you do trust. But you dont sacrifice the needs of the business because of one person.

If FSG dont make funds available for investment thats obviously required then its negligence as far as im concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BenEadir wrote: »
    So bringing in a load of players in the summer is the cause of disruption to the team as they settle in and get to know how to play with each other and the solution to that problem is...........bring in even more players??? :confused:

Yeah, our squad just needs some time to gel. I'm sure they'll be firing on all cylinders by April and we'll enjoy a glorious last few weeks to the season. Can't wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've been saying for awhile now that we wouldn't be making any signings apart from ending the Origi loan and bringing him in. There's no money in the kitty. Best hope is to bring some other players in on loans as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, our squad just needs some time to gel. I'm sure they'll be firing on all cylinders by April and we'll enjoy a glorious last few weeks to the season. Can't wait.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone have tickets to the Palace game?

Given it's Gerrard's last game at Anfield I'd imagine the market for re-selling tickets will be interesting

Yeah and can't wait but I assume it will be moved dates for TV. So nothing booked yet on flights.

So we've swapped a bunch of American owners with no cash, for another bunch of American owners with no cash.

Great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Could you stop with the apologist ****e please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

So we've swapped a bunch of American owners with no cash, for another bunch of American owners with no cash.

Great.

Let's overlook the financial facts then, shall we :rolleyes:
    Since Fenway Sports Group (FSG) completed its takeover of Liverpool FC in October 2010, revenue has steadily increased year on year and external debt has decreased overall by nearly £200million. During this reporting period, FSG injected £46.8million to fully repay a historic stadium loan facility.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/156514-lfc-announces-financial-results

Nobody can say for certain what we can spend on new players until the window shuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I'm thinking of doing a paper on the effects of the transfer window on seemingly normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

SM01 wrote: »
    Shame about Suso. I'd high hopes that he'd be a very good player at Liverpool.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/suso-agrees-four-year-contract-ac-8396464

Ah ****s sake. ****idy **** **** ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm thinking of doing a paper on the effects of the transfer window on seemingly normal people.
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah ****s sake. ****idy **** **** ****e

Theres your first subject right there! :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement