Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So we've swapped a bunch of American owners with no cash, for another bunch of American owners with no cash.

Great.

In fairness they did say when they took over that the goal was for the club to generate it's own revenue for spending. They weren't going to just pump money into it year after year. And to be fair revenues have increased and of course there is also a stadium expansion to be paid for as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »
    None of them are good enough which is why the clamour for Rodgers to play with strikers is baffling. Borini and Lambert to me is like do I want a kick in the balls or the face.

Well if it's the latter you're after, I think I might know a guy ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thankfully you won't be making that decision...

Obviously you or I won't be making the decision either, but do you have a breaking point? If we bust of of each cup in the next round, and finish on 55 points what will your view be then?

If you are for giving him another season regardless would a similar first half of the season next year make you want him out?

I'm hoping and expecting that neither of the above will actually happen, but if it did what would be your view?

This is an open question to those firmly behind the manager (most of us). My personal breaking point would be if we continue through the season with lots of turgid performances, no cup success and finish ~55 points. I can't see myself in favour of another season if this one continues in mediocrity throughout. If we improve in performances, finish on around 65 points but don't still win a cup or get top 4 I'd still be in favour of him continuing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

x43r0 wrote: »

810 thanks!!!!

Genius!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5starpool wrote: »
    Obviously you or I won't be making the decision either, but do you have a breaking point? If we bust of of each cup in the next round, and finish on 55 points what will your view be then?

If you are for giving him another season regardless would a similar first half of the season next year make you want him out?

Given the loss of both Suarez and Sturridge (for most the season so far), and the gradual decline of Gerrard as our talisman, I think a poor season this time (no CL, no trophies) will erase the credit for last year.

Then we are back to square one, and he needs a good start next season to prove he is more than a one trick pony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dickerty wrote: »
    Given the loss of both Suarez and Sturridge (for most the season so far), and the gradual decline of Gerrard as our talisman, I think a poor season this time (no CL, no trophies) will erase the credit for last year.

Then we are back to square one, and he needs a good start next season to prove he is more than a one trick pony...

This would be my thinking exactly. After last season Rodgers earned himself a season. So providing we don't implode altogether and battle relegation/start getting hammered by every team, Rodgers has until Christmas next season at the latest to show he can turn us around again.

The lack of a striker this season really hurt us. Our transfers in the Summer were shockingly poor. But I haven't forgotten last season just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Like it or not Rodgers will be given till the end of the season. I see no point in sacking a manager January/Feb unless you are in a relegation battle.

If the owners were unhappy with Rodgers he would have been sacked already, they have shown this by pulling the trigger on Hodgson quickly, although we actually could have been relegated that season things were so bad.

I don't see us getting Top 4 barring a run like last season (ha some chance), which is heart breaking but its the reality of such a poor start to the season.

Through sale and injury we have been without our 2 best players from last season and on top of that tried to implement up to 10 new players into the squad. The loss of Sturridge just can not be overstated, he is a HUGE player for us.

Its been a bit of a disaster so far but with the recent up turn in results, return of sturridge and the possible addition of another centre forward I'm fairly optimistic the 2nd half of the season will be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have seen nothing in Borini's movement to suggest he is an awful lot better.
    What? Borini's movement is world class :pac: It's all everyone raved about when he first signed for us. Seriously though, while Borini is a decent all-round player, he seems to lack a killer ability like pace, trickery on the ball or finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hope we see this soon and for the rest of the season. Sorely missed :(

ib2H2vtznbyzdv.gif

he should be banned from doing that dance.....

its probably the cause of his injuries!!

x43r0 wrote: »

what a post. lol his username was face kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Like it or not Rodgers will be given till the end of the season. I see no point in sacking a manager January/Feb unless you are in a relegation battle.
    No doubt.

The question now is whether he will get backing in this transfer window. If he doesn't you have to think that the board are holding back dough for someone else in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

No doubt.

The question now is whether he will get backing in this transfer window. If he doesn't you have to think that the board are holding back dough for someone else in the Summer.

I dont believe that. I think FSG are just tight with splashing the cash.

Im actually expecting us to make no signings this window. Origi is an outside chance according to James Pearce. He stated all along that we were going to be very quiet and that there was no link at all with Shaqiri from the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Minimum finish would be a Europa league place for me. I just don't see were sacking him gets us, who ever comes in will need time anyway. Rodgers has proven last year that he can do it. I'd back him to find the winning formula again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

big derby tomorrow, hope the lads are up for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Minimum finish would be a Europa league place for me. I just don't see were sacking him gets us, who ever comes in will need time anyway. Rodgers has proven last year that he can do it. I'd back him to find the winning formula again.

Rodgers had Suarez last year and a fit Sturridge. He has proven unable to properly address our defensive issues.

Does anyone know the last time we played with 2 up front?

No doubt.

I'm not so sure, if there was money there I see no reason why the owners wouldn't spend it to achieve champions league football again considering the financial gain. I'm no expert on football finances but the noises are we are hamstrung by FFP and under investigation. If so there's not much we can do except sell to buy and unfortunately for us we don't have many valuable assets to sell.

After 20 games we are averaging 1.45ppg

Title winning ppg = 2.37ppg. If we hit this ppg we will end up on 71 points.

A decent 2nd half to the season will see us break 60 points at best imo.

Is that not a contradictory post? You are in favour of giving him another season and back him to come good, but at the same time you are saying a Europa spot is the minimum, so probably a cup or 5th, although 6th is a Europa spot for us if Chelsea win the League Cup, and if Spurs win it too and finish top 5.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Rodgers had Suarez last year and a fit Sturridge. He has proven unable to properly address our defensive issues.

Spurs in August would be my guess, excepting late desparation stakes when losing in games.

5starpool wrote: »
    Is that not a contradictory post? You are in favour of giving him another season and back him to come good, but at the same time you are saying a Europa spot is the minimum, so probably a cup or 5th, although 6th is a Europa spot for us if Chelsea win the League Cup, and if Spurs win it too and finish top 5.

Your right, meant to finish 7th or higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    After 20 games we are averaging 1.45ppg

Title winning ppg = 2.37ppg. If we hit this ppg we will end up on 71 points.

It's really a matter of how Southampton get on and whether Arsenal continue their inconsistent form, and Spurs keep going.

Arsenal and Spurs need about 40 points out of 54 to get 72/73 points as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

God I hate this season.

K-9 wrote: »
    It's really a matter of how Southampton get on and whether Arsenal continue their inconsistent form, and Spurs keep going.

Arsenal and Spurs need about 40 points out of 54 to get 72/73 points as well.

I'm not sure how I can say this without being disparaging to Southampton, but they won't finish in the top 4 anyhow I'd be confident, and if we finish below them it'll have been a very poor season indeed.

Obviously if they defy my expectations and finish on 70 points or so this makes the above less relevant.

Augmerson wrote: »

Can we forget about Suarez he's gone chances are a new manager won't have him for selection either.

Danny being out for so long is unfortunate considering balotelli has not performed in his sted, Imo he was a cheap option that Rodgers didn't even want

If a new manger comes in then we are definitely back to square one. Buy a top DM, striker and Gk and see how he does then. That is the minimum a new manager will require anyway.

huh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Can we forget about Suarez he's gone chances are a new manager won't have him for selection either.

Danny being out for so long is unfortunate considering balotelli has not performed in his sted, Imo he was a cheap option that Rodgers didn't even want

If a new manger comes in then we are definitely back to square one. Buy a top DM, striker and Gk and see how he does then. That is the minimum a new manager will require anyway.

I honestly feel if Sturridge had been fit we would be currently be 4th in the league. A huge loss but still poor strikers brought in to fill the void.

70 points should be enough for top 4 this season and Arsenal should get it if Sanchez stays fit

ricero wrote: »
    I honestly feel if Sturridge had been fit we won't currently be 4th in the league. A huge loss but still poor strikers brought in to fill the void.

We would definitely have more points and seeing as we are only 7 points behind 4th you probably aren't far wrong

I honestly feel if Sturridge had been fit we won't currently be 4th in the league. A huge loss but still poor strikers brought in to fill the void.

Yep comes down to money IMO, owners just don't want to splash the cash they would prefer to take a punt. That needs to change who ever the manager may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rarnes1 wrote: »

bookies have liverpool finishing on 59 points in 7th place as it stands right now

I honestly feel if Sturridge had been fit we would be currently be 4th in the league. A huge loss but still poor strikers brought in to fill the void.

Aye for sure, its big players like him make all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

4th is still possible - this team with Sturridge up front is a very different animal.

But if we don't sign any more goalscorers and try to rely on Sturrige, the club is basically rolling the dice and hoping we get double 6's.

huh :confused:

its ok..... this video should explain all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Imo not;

1) being able to cope with the loss of Suarez (it was clear he'd be leaving at some point soon-remember the previous summer?!)

2) having any backup for Sturridge (his injury record speaks for itself)

3) not planning for Gerrard getting older (who saw that coming?!)

.....are all huge failings of the manager.

The simple fact is comparing the cost of our squad with how we're performing is not a million miles from making the managers position untenable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Thisisanfield on twitter musing about getting Ter Stegan in from Barca

Much like everything else this transfer window I can't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's footballing suicide not to sign a proven goalscorer in this window, and I get the feeling there's a Hara-kiri vibe around Anfield these days.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Imo not;

1) being able to cope with the loss of Suarez (it was clear he'd be leaving at some point soon-remember the previous summer?!)

2) having any backup for Sturridge (his injury record speaks for itself)

3) not planning for Gerrard getting older (who saw that coming?!)

.....are all huge failings of the manager.

The simple fact is comparing the cost of our squad with how we're performing is not a million miles from making the managers position untenable.

Just the manager? It doesn't fall on the fabled transfer committee too or the owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Just the manager? It doesn't fall on the fabled transfer committee too or the owners?

Or the players?

Read the list, and feel the sadness flood over you. This is a summary of an abysmal transfer record:

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

Brendan Rodgers bought 25 players for £212,380,000

What a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Of course not. This is Rodgers we are talking about not his hero Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

apparently Sterling has signed, or is about to sign a new contract.

glad to see common sense prevailed.

good work.

daRobot wrote: »
    Read the list, and feel the sadness flood over you. This is a summary of an abysmal transfer record:

What a mess.

There is far more than Brendan Rodgers involved in the poor transfer record. It is ignorant to suggest otherwise.

A sporting director is needed instead IMO, there is too many non footballing men on this committee, more interested in money and stats. There have been many great director/manager combos over the years like Ferguson/Gill and Dein/Wenger it can work.

Its also sad that you write off Divock Origi before he has kicked a ball and the assumption that the likes of Moreno, Lallana, Markovic and Can are a waste also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is far more than Brendan Rodgers involved in the poor transfer record. It is ignorant to suggest otherwise.

A sporting director is needed instead IMO, there is too many non footballing men on this committee, more interested in money and stats. There have been many great director/manager combos over the years like Ferguson/Gill and Dein/Wenger it can work.

Rodgers refused to have Van Gaal as one when he was offfered the job.

So why would he change his mind now?

daRobot wrote: »

What a mess.

The net spend is half that, but carry on and make the worst case scenario.

Rodgers refused to have Van Gaal as one when he was offfered the job.

So why would he change his mind now?

I'd refuse Van Gaal too, he has butted with heads with too many managers and is a real ruler by all accounts, plus with a guy with that much experience behind you, if you started struggle the lynch mob wouldn't be long calling for Van Gaal to step in.
    Van Gaal is a manager not a football director and a pretty good one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Laughed my ar$e off when I read this, thank you I needed that.

I think our boy Bren could be in debit already, he was at break-even after a poor transfer period over the summer. Then he went into debt when we were dumped out of CL so embarassingly.

If he were to apply for bankruptcy today he would probably be successfull. More of a case than "Drummer" anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd refuse Van Gaal too, he has butted with heads with too many managers and is a real ruler by all accounts, plus with a guy with that much experience behind you, if you started struggle the lynch mob wouldn't be long calling for Van Gaal to step in.
    Van Gaal is a manager not a football director and a pretty good one at that.

So why would he change his mind and except one now was my question.

Rodgers has spent an average of 40m a season that's nothing compared to man c, man u, and chelski.

Its also sad that you write off Divock Origi before he has kicked a ball and the assumption that the likes of Moreno, Lallana, Markovic and Can are a waste also.

Firstly, where in my post have I said those players are a waste?

Secondly, if you read the link I posted, you'll see that the part highlighted in bold is taken directly from the site. Not my words.

But the simple fact is, LFC as a whole, have conducted this business, and it can only be described as a shambles. Yes, there are two hits from the 25 purchases, and about another 6 that could come right, and prove themselves to be of the standard required.

If you genuinely think that's in any way, an acceptable return on investment, I've some super-fab Bulgarian apartments that would be right up your street.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement