Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The net spend is half that, but carry on and make the worst case scenario.

Just because you balanced the books through your outgoings, doesn't justify poor investments in any shape or form. In fact, when you take your most valuable asset (Suarez) and replace it with a variety of non-performing assets, it's actually worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

daRobot wrote: »
    Firstly, where in my post have I said those players are a waste?

Secondly, if you read the link I posted, you'll see that the part highlighted in bold is taken directly from the site. Not my words.

But the simple fact is, LFC as a whole, have conducted this business, and it can only be described as a shambles. Yes, there are two hits from the 25 purchases, and about another 6 that could come right, and prove themselves to be of the standard required.

If you genuinely think that's in any way, an acceptable return on investment, I've some super-fab Bulgarian apartments that would be right up your street.

You said 25 players what a mess. I presumed you were referring to everyone.

My issue was your post said this was Brendan Rodgers mess. Its not, its LFC's as a whole and there policies like you have just said above. now.

I don't think its an acceptable return and nor did I say it was. I think you will agree we are shopping at a poor level and that is down to the direction from the money men at the club.
    The thing I don't understand is last summer we targeted players like Willian, Costa, Mkhitaryan why did that policy change this summer when we had CL football to offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just because you balanced the books through your outgoings, doesn't justify poor investments in any shape or form. In fact, when you take your most valuable asset (Suarez) and replace it with a variety of non-performing assets, it's actually worse.

No need to turn into a business class, no one except footballers really make money in football. Its much different to the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

What.. BR has spent almost 1/4.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rob316 wrote: »
    No need to turn into a business class, no one except footballers really make money in football. Its much different to the real world.

Oh really? Tell that to the Arsenal Board, FSG and the Glazer family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I said during the summer I would have liked to see us try for Jovetic.

Now with City about to buy Bony he drops further down the pecking order at City.

If the club has no money this transfer window I would love to see them try for a loan till summer and if it works out first option to buy if City do want to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another sick note isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I said during the summer I would have liked to see us try for Jovetic.

Now with City about to buy Bony he drops further down the pecking order at City.

If the club has no money this transfer window I would love to see them try for a loan till summer and if it works out first option to buy if City do want to sell him.

He's too old for us, too established.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Beach balls can't come quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I agree but when you called spending over 200m on those players a mess while not taking into account players out irked me, also you do realise that failure in the transfer market is not down to Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Let's hope we win tomorrow eh chaps (they need to bring the word chaps back)?

More wins makes the transfers, the tactics, the defensive ineptitude, the Gerrard departure and the media chat about 'character' go away. Win games and win trophies and they can't touch you.

But I've got some ****ing news for ya:

- finish with less than 60pts
    - bust out of the three cups;

They'll get you for that. And if you think the negativity generally with respect to the club now is bad, well...

Win some ****ing games.

Saido Berahino: West Brom boss Tony Pulis says player available.
    Striker Saido Berahino could be sold if West Brom are offered the 'right deal' according to Baggies boss Tony Pulis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30751928

You just know we are going bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Balotelli to start tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seriously, if we HAVE to go for him, no more than £8m for Berahino.

CSF wrote: »
    Balotelli to start tomorrow?

i would say almost definitely not.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i would say almost definitely not.

Has anyone been on with the bib theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That should get us a foot in the door, then we can spunk the rest of the €25 million fee! ;)

Bony should have brought in during the summer instead of Ballotelli, when it was clear Sanchez and Remy wasn't happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have you tried google?...or twitter, don't use it myself but I would say it would be a good place to start looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

There is little hope of getting Berahino for less than 20 million. West Brom want a pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Saido Berahino: West Brom boss Tony Pulis says player available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30751928

You just know we are going bite.

Would be surprised if the money was there. I've a very pessimistic outlook on transfers in during this window. It might depend on someone being sold, most likely Borini.

Something like a new offer from Sunderland, only 6 or 7m sterling this time. Use that. West Brom will fleece us, know they can fleece us. I'd say Berahino could cost us 16m sterling.

Thisisanfield on twitter musing about getting Ter Stegan in from Barca

Much like everything else this transfer window I can't see it happening

Liverpool Linked With £17 Million Swoop For Marc-Andre ter Stegen
    At least the Daily Mirror story, while completely baseless, does quote a fairly sensible price in the region of £17 million which would represent a tidy profit for FC Barcelona just months after they signed him for €12 million, this is by all means a non-starter.

Sorry guys, but Marc-Andre ter Stegen is ours -- you're going to have to look elsewhere.
    http://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumours-news/2015/1/9/7519809/liverpool-marc-andre-ter-stegen

Marc-Andre-ter-Stegen-Own-Goal-Fail-USA-vs-Germany.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nonsense.

That isn't the going rate for players anymore.

If that's the standards you're setting the only players we'd ever sign would be free transfers.

Berahino is not at the standard where we should be paying £15m+ yet.

he may get to that, but he's still very much at the stage where he could go either way.

you'd pay £8m or less for a player of his exact ilk on the continent if you made an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Berahino is not at the standard where we should be paying £15m+ yet.

he may get to that, but he's still very much at the stage where he could go either way.

you'd pay £8m or less for a player of his exact ilk on the continent if you made an effort.

I don't think that's the case.

For starters, there's a host of circumstances related to fees - contract situation, who the buying club is (English clubs tend to have the most money so can be taken for a ride), who the selling club is (if they're stable they're under less pressure to sell) and so on. It's hard to compare different signings on a case by case basis.

But even from the examples we do have - Origi 10m, including being loaned back for a year, Lukaku for 28m, Luke Shaw for 30m and the fees that will likely be paid for transfers over the next few years (Draxler, Barkley, Meyer, Kovacic), being young is no protection against huge transfer fees.

Now I don't think Berahino is of the same profile as some of the names above, he could quickly fizzle out and fees like 23m sound far too high, but pretty much nobody goes for 8m anymore.

Somewhere in between is fairly reasonable - 12-18m.

I think there's a new normal with the further leap forward in wealth after the latest PL TV deal and it'll take a while for the market and everyone's expectations to settle down again.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have you tried google?...or twitter, don't use it myself but I would say it would be a good place to start looking.

Yeah, couldn't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case.

For starters, there's a host of circumstances related to fees - contract situation, who the buying club is (English clubs tend to have the most money so can be taken for a ride), who the selling club is (if they're stable they're under less pressure to sell) and so on. It's hard to compare different signings on a case by case basis.

But even from the examples we do have - Origi 10m, including being loaned back for a year, Lukaku for 28m, Luke Shaw for 30m and the fees that will likely be paid for transfers over the next few years (Draxler, Barkley, Meyer, Kovacic), being young is no protection against huge transfer fees.

Now I don't think Berahino is of the same profile as some of the names above, he could quickly fizzle out and fees like 23m sound far too high, but pretty much nobody goes for 8m anymore.

Somewhere in between is fairly reasonable - 12-18m.

I think there's a new normal with the further leap forward in wealth after the latest PL TV deal and it'll take a while for the market and everyone's expectations to settle down again.

The bigger thing I guess is that there is no point buying young from England (unless its in the actually young bracket - 15, 16). Buy young from abroad - only buy first teamers from England if they're already at the level you want them to be at.

Potential is vastly overvalued in England. Half a decent goalscoring season (still less than 1 in 2) doesn't warrant the coverage, or price tag, he's getting. Especially since he got 5 in total last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, couldn't find anything

Borini starts up front and Sterling is out apparently. Rested, not injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Read the list, and feel the sadness flood over you. This is a summary of an abysmal transfer record:

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

Brendan Rodgers bought 25 players for £212,380,000

What a mess.

Jesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rumours sterling is in Jamaica and not available which is a bit of a disaster anyone get the team seen as it tends to get posted here correctly every week

• Advertisement

Rumours sterling is in Jamaica and not available which is a bit of a disaster anyone get the team seen as it tends to get posted here correctly every week

He needed a break.

I have no problem with him having mid season break in the sun as long as he doesn't act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He needed a break.

I have no problem with him having mid season break in the sun as long as he doesn't act the maggot.

To be fair he probably did it's just a shame lallana is injured now aswell.

He needed a break.

I completely agree he needs rests but it has been nine days since he last played? If he was promised an extended break then so be it but with Sturridge about to return soon and Lallana injured then it surely could have been logistically organised a little better.

Sakho - Pity it has taken Rodgers till now to see that, we could have signed him a partner during the summer rather than that donkey he signed to try and replace him.
    Brendan Rodgers says Mamadou Sakho has grasped his chance to shine since being handed a Liverpool recall.

The £18million centre-back has been one of the Reds’ most consistent performers in recent weeks and is expected to retain his place for Saturday’s trip to Sunderland.

Sakho endured a torrid first half of the campaign as he struggled with both fitness and form.

He was forced to issue an apology back in September after storming out of Anfield when he discovered he hadn’t even made the bench for the Merseyside derby.

The French international didn’t start a game for three months but injury to Dejan Lovren led to his return to the side for last month’s 2-2 draw with Arsenal.

The 24-year-old defender has been part of a three-man backline for the past five matches and Rodgers has been impressed with his contribution.

“Mamadou worked hard during his time out of the side,” Rodgers told the ECHO.

“Obviously he has come back in and played five games in a short period of time. He has taken his opportunity and has settled back in very quickly.”

Sakho, who was hailed by Reds chief executive Ian Ayre as a ‘marquee signing’, has been unable to nail down a place at Anfield since his arrival from Paris Saint-Germain in the summer of 2013.

He only made 19 appearances last season and has added just 11 to that tally so far this term. But Rodgers insists bringing in Sakho was always a long-term investment and now he’s hoping he will realise his full potential.

“He’s still relatively young in centre-back terms,” Rodgers added.

“Martin Skrtel has great experience but some of our other defenders are very inexperienced. Mamadou wasn’t in the team at PSG when he came here. That’s the reality of it.

“Before they spent a lot of money in the transfer market to bring in players he was playing there. But at that time he came here he wasn’t playing and wasn’t getting experience.

“What he has been given here is an opportunity. Hopefully now he can really devote his time to the profession and make sure he’s fully fit to play games.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-mamadou-sakho-grasped-8415813

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With no Lallana or Sterling, I think this would be my preference.

Mig
    Can---Skrtel---Sakho
    Manquillo
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Hendo
    ----Markovic--Gerrard--Coutinho
    Balotelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bony should have brought in during the summer instead of Ballotelli, when it was clear Sanchez and Remy wasn't happening

I'm pretty sure most here didn't wanted Bony last Summer at the muted price, they were very much happy with the punt on Balotelli over him.

This City bid has caused a bit of revisionism tbh.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    After 20 games we are averaging 1.45ppg

Title winning ppg = 2.37ppg. If we hit this ppg we will end up on 71 points.

A decent 2nd half to the season will see us break 60 points at best imo.

My view on it is that since the woeful 3 PL defeats on the trot we are 15 points from 8 games, 1.875 points per game, 4W, 3D & 1L, that 8 games was against......

Stoke (11th), Leicester (20th), Sunderland (14th), Man Utd (3rd), Arsenal (6th), Burnley (19th), Swansea (9th) & Leicester (20th)

........ their current league positions are in brackets after them :)

Liverpool weren't overly impressive but got 15 points. Much of a muchness over the next 18 games will yield 33 points and leave Liverpool on 62 points.

Over the next 18 games 9W, 6D & 3L would yield that 33 points.

11W, 5D & 2L yields 38 points and a season total of 67 points, realistically I can't see anything over 67 points this year. I do think that 67 points is achievable though.

It is a tall ask though as by the 19 game mark no team apart from Man City or Chelsea had won 11 games in the 19 matches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm confused now. Are we hoping to win or lose tomorrow? Should we even watch it? Is there any point? Is there any point to anything?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure most here didn't wanted Bony last Summer at the muted price, they were very much happy with the punt on Balotelli over him.

This City bid has caused a bit of revisionism tbh.

The only one I remember going on about Bony much was Nuri

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Let's hope we win tomorrow eh chaps (they need to bring the word chaps back)?

More wins makes the transfers, the tactics, the defensive ineptitude, the Gerrard departure and the media chat about 'character' go away. Win games and win trophies and they can't touch you.

But I've got some ****ing news for ya:

- finish with less than 60pts
    - bust out of the three cups;

They'll get you for that. And if you think the negativity generally with respect to the club now is bad, well...

Win some ****ing games.

Agree 100%
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm confused now. Are we hoping to win or lose tomorrow? Should we even watch it? Is there any point? Is there any point to anything?

As above, win games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not a bad goal from someone thats over the hill.
    https://vine.co/v/OpDZbnqAKgj
    Stevie in training today.

monkey9 wrote: »

Or can we prove, with epistemic certainty, that there even is a football match tomorrow?

OMG Don't let him leave !!
    WONDER GOAL !!!
    Sign him up to a new long term contract.

You know what's going to do my head in, anytime Gerrard scores a goal ( peno or free (or in training )) your gonna have people cribbing on.

He's going to America, get fcking over it.

This seems to be going through my head again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Charlie19 wrote: »

WTF was Mignolet at there? Appalling stuff.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    WTF was Mignolet at there? Appalling stuff.

Ah **** off there was nothing he could have done there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ah **** off there was nothing he could have done there.

Mignolet out. This proves it. Rah rah rah rah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The contents of this post..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93765771&postcount=2787

is exactly what is wrong with the club at the moment imho.

You have one man talking about 'marquee signing' and another man talking about us signing an inexperienced player.

And what's worse, neither are right imo!

Aaaaand, that's why we have a pile of signings in the last 3 years that contribute fk all to the cause of getting the team up the table. One 'side' thinks, that because we sign a player for 18m its 'marquee' and the other 'side' thinks a player with 100 games for club and country at a young age in inexperienced.

Tbh, bullsh1t everywhere. Moving nowhere fast in this set up imho. The clout and ability to catch a big fish in the transfer market is beyond them even if the money was available imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

daithijjj wrote: »
    The contents of this post..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93765771&postcount=2787

is exactly what is wrong with the club at the moment imho.

You have one man talking about 'marquee signing' and another man talking about us signing an inexperienced player.

And what's worse, neither are right imo!

Aaaaand, that's why we have a pile of signings in the last 3 years that contribute fk all to the cause of getting the team up the table. One 'side' thinks, that because we sign a player for 18m its 'marquee' and the other 'side' thinks a player with 100 games for club and country at a young age in inexperienced.

Tbh, bullsh1t everywhere. Moving nowhere fast in this set up imho. The clout and ability to catch a big fish in the transfer market is beyond them even if the money was available imo.

What I took from the article was that had Lovren not got injured, Sakho would not have got these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Charlie19 wrote: »

His training goals alone are worth £200k a week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement