Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only caught the first half and was impressed by us although sunderland looked woeful but got to beat whats in front of us. Nice to see the new signings settling in and getting a run of games and that rodgers has settled on a formation and a core group of players.
    Also very happy with lucas, was great today from what i saw, was never a huge fan but he is a vital player to us now. Knowing how the club works we will loan him out now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I dont think its a coincidence that Lucas returning to our team has lead to an upturn in results and performances. If he leaves, we are fukt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Plenty of reasons to be both cheerful and fearful for Liverpool now.

Positives - Markovic has gotten better as the season has gone on. I know him being played at wing-back has been ridiculed by plenty, but it got him into the team, helped him regain his confidence and he actually now looks quite suited to that position. I think he will naturally be better in the front three, but it's nice to have that direct, pacy threat from RB/LB.
    Can has been doing well
    Sakho has done well
    Lucas has done well. Most people would have sold him after the Southampton game at the start of the season. Myself included.
    We have given Sterling a couple of weeks off and picked up two wins.
    We are playing much better going forward and Sturridge should be back soon
    I think Coutinho has been great the last month or so.

Negatives - Poor final ball/finishing has been our bane this season
    Still can't defend. We would have been unlucky to lose today, but it could have happened.
    Our confidence looks fragile. A setback, like conceding a goal, looks like it could completely kill us.
    No sign of a goalkeeper.

Season is on a precipice.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to the Europa league. I know most see it as a hindrance, but it might be our best chance of CL football. There are teams in it I'd fear, like Roma and Napoli, but we should definitely be targetting winning the thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

4 points off top 4. Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Plenty of reasons to be both cheerful and fearful for Liverpool now.

Positives - Markovic has gotten better as the season has gone on. I know him being played at wing-back has been ridiculed by plenty, but it got him into the team, helped him regain his confidence and he actually now looks quite suited to that position. I think he will naturally be better in the front three, but it's nice to have that direct, pacy threat from RB/LB.
    Can has been doing well
    Sakho has done well
    Lucas has done well. Most people would have sold him after the Southampton game at the start of the season. Myself included.
    We have given Sterling a couple of weeks off and picked up two wins.
    We are playing much better going forward and Sturridge should be back soon
    I think Coutinho has been great the last month or so.

Negatives - Poor final ball/finishing has been our bane this season
    Still can't defend. We would have been unlucky to lose today, but it could have happened.
    Our confidence looks fragile. A setback, like conceding a goal, looks like it could completely kill us.
    No sign of a goalkeeper.

Season is on a precipice.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to the Europa league. I know most see it as a hindrance, but it might be our best chance of CL football. There are teams in it I'd fear, like Roma and Napoli, but we should definitely be targetting winning the thing.

I have to say, i'm looking forward to it myself, more experience for the newer members of the squad wont hurt and of course CL qualification is a fantastic incentive.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    4 points off top 4. Mad.

Pretty much goes to show how poor the league is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pretty much goes to show how poor the league is at the moment.

Or competive if you want to look at it another way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I dont think its a coincidence that Lucas returning to our team has lead to an upturn in results and performances. If he leaves, we are fukt

Said it a few days ago, with Stevie leaving Lucas (and Skrtel I'd also argue) have to be retained next Summer. The team is alarmingly running out of experienced heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

A keeper and a striker are needed.

Instead we will end up with another midfielder.

You mean we will end up with nothing. Id be surprised if we sign anyone at all other than bringing back Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wgwtl

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »

Well considering how garbage we've been and and yet we're only 4 points off 4th, i'd lean towards the poor standard theory. Which i'm completely fine with by the way. I just think the league has lost something in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

By no means a great performance but a win is a win.

Well considering how garbage we've been and and yet we're only 4 points off 4th, i'd lean towards the poor standard theory. Which i'm completely fine with by the way. I just think the league has lost something in recent years.

The elite in Europe have moved ahead of the English league. There is no doubt about that. Liverpool are in a pretty good run of form despite the performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Really enjoyed that match, a bit nervous in the second half but its brilliant starting a weekend with a win. Markovic and Can did absolutely brilliant on the right. I thought Henderson was very poor any time he was deep, just very static when receiving a pass and getting rid of the ball too quickly, when he is just a bit more forward closing players down he is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

niallo27 wrote: »

It can be competitive and poor. Which it is.

mosstin wrote: »
    It can be competitive and poor. Which it is.

Bit of both.

Exactly, everyone is brutal.

I'm still trying to come to terms with Can being 20, the cnt was born in 1994...madness. Life just isn't fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

wgwtl

Typo? or am i actually too old to recognise what this is

Very happy with today's performance on a whole, one or two really ridiculous cards picked up when they shouldn't have been though.

having said that S'land weren't too great.

Mario has to go, even his set pieces let him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

he reminds me of how gerrard plays when we are a goal down, everything has to be 100 miles an hour, shooting from miles out out, crazy angles, bodies diving in front of him. A calm head is needed, fake a shot and go around the player not drive it straight in to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Exactly, everyone is brutal.

I'm still trying to come to terms with Can being 20, the cnt was born in 1994...madness. Life just isn't fair.

You comin out to bingo later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

One thing that stood out for me defensively today.
    When a set piece came in, no one jumped to try and get a header. An Adam Johnson free kick and 2 corners spring to mind. In those 3 examples every Liverpool player in the box remained rooted to the ground.
    Have they concrete in their boots or something?
    Get up to fc*k and be some ways assertive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

When is Daniel "Tiny Dancer" Sturridge back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Can, Markovic, Sakho, Lucas - its been a good day for wastes of money :p

A good day for the Apologists / deciples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

A good day for the Apologists / deciples

Ya need to change that name again pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Balotelliistheman please?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dfx- wrote: »
    The second half was clear as day. With a less mobile, willing striker, there was less movement, there was no creativity at all, bar a few wayward Coutinho shots. A few crosses in from Moreno.

First half Gerrard and Markovic and Henderson were breaking through and centre-halves were all over the place. It's clear as day the difference.

This is not down to Balotelli. He came on after 67 minutes and we had been no better in the 20 odd minutes up to them from when he came on. He created a chance for himself and laid the ball off well for others. He put in plenty of effort and was not lacking movement.

He definitely offers more threat up front than Borini, although Borini did ok today in the first half.

The second half change in play was down to playing Can wide and Markovic playing more central. If Can had been played where Gerrard was (or Henderson with Henderson pushing up) in the first half we would have seen the game be stretched more in the second half again I'd say. For several reasons we were more tentative in the second half, but none of them were dow nto the introduction of Balotelli.

Augmerson wrote: »
    When is Daniel "Tiny Dancer" Sturridge back?

31st of January according to physioroom. I thought I read elsewhere the 23rd mentioned.

Rumours are that hes due back for villa

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rumours are that hes due back for villa

I'm assuming the return will be tentative. Another ser back could pretty much wreck what's left of Sturridge's season.
    My guess is Rodgers is banking on Sturridge and a rested Sterling to catch fire from late Jan to the season's end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/177899-rodgers-update-on-gerrard-and-raheem

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Steven Gerrard was withdrawn at half-time during Liverpool's 1-0 win over Sunderland as a precaution, while confirming Raheem Sterling will return to Melwood next week.

Gerrard played the first half of the Reds' victory at the Stadium of Light before being replaced by Dejan Lovren during the interval due to a hamstring issue.

The captain will now be assessed by the club's medical team, and Rodgers explained: "It was just precautionary.

"He'll have a scan on his hamstring. It just felt a little bit tight, so we'll just need to manage that and see how it is.

Rodgers said: "Raheem will be back next week. It's something that was already planned from the summer.

"In my time here, in two and a half years, he's come from the youth team through to becoming a full international player and one of the best young players in European football.

"There's a lot asked of him and if I was selfish I would maybe have him here with me for every single minute because he's been brilliant, but I need to think of the kid and the long-term for Liverpool and for him.

"I felt after the Christmas period, because he's played a lot for me - he's played over 100 games already as a kid and he's just turned 20 - it would be a good period for him to have a rest.

"He missed the FA Cup tie and missed today's game, then he rejoins us again next week and will be fresh and fit for the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No doubt Balotelli is the most talented. He's also the laziest player in the squad.

This is a myth the man is devoid of talent an absolute con man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

This is a myth the man is devoid of talent an absolute con man

Absolute rubbish. If he was devoid of talent he'd never have played well at all. And at times in his career he has been unstoppable.

We all know he doesn't suit our style of play tho which makes him a poor buy.

Kelly is having a great game against spurs. Great to see him doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

wgwtl
    breghall wrote: »
    Typo? or am i actually too old to recognise what this is

Its must be a typo, our form is dwwdw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. If he was devoid of talent he'd never have played well at all. And at times in his career he has been unstoppable.

We all know he doesn't suit our style of play tho which makes him a poor buy.

No need to go too far the other way.. but of course he has talent. However, with his attitude I often wonder how he made it.

For a young player he's dining out a lot on reputation.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its must be a typo, our form is dwwdw.

anygtbu
    wgtwtl

5starpool wrote: »
    anygtbu
    wgtwtl

Whats the one in bold?

edit: and now you're going to believe us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

T-K-O wrote: »
    No need to go too far the other way.. but of course he has talent. However, with his attitude I often wonder how he made it.

For a young player he's dining out a lot on reputation.

Sorry, i should clarify that i meant individual games. He's never managed to be consistently brilliant, but the talent is there. Not sure he loves the game and he's not so ridic that he can just coast his way to super-stardom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Poor second half performance imo. Should have been out of sight at HT, but to be hanging on for the win from this position after playing against 10 men for most of the second half. I can't understand why the whole team was shuffled at half time. If Gerrard had to be replaced good and well, replace him. But don't change the whole team:Loverrn into back 3, Can to WB, Markovich to AM. This disruption broke up the team unnecessarily. Only for Sunderland were piss poor, there could have been 2 points dropped easily here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

5starpool wrote: »
    This is not down to Balotelli. He came on after 67 minutes and we had been no better in the 20 odd minutes up to them from when he came on. He created a chance for himself and laid the ball off well for others. He put in plenty of effort and was not lacking movement.

He definitely offers more threat up front than Borini, although Borini did ok today in the first half.

The second half change in play was down to playing Can wide and Markovic playing more central. If Can had been played where Gerrard was (or Henderson with Henderson pushing up) in the first half we would have seen the game be stretched more in the second half again I'd say. For several reasons we were more tentative in the second half, but none of them were dow nto the introduction of Balotelli.

He was lacking the same movement that Borini created in the first half. In the second half, Coutinho and Markovic were central and getting to the penalty box like in the first half (Henderson and Gerrard were in the first half too, but not in the second half), but it was now congested, making life difficult for Coutinho to thread the ball through and he resorted to shooting. Moreno to crossing. There was an attack in the second half where Markovic broke clear to the byline and did nothing with it as Balotelli ran away from him into the box wanting the impossible cross that never came. The predominant pass for the lads in the centre in the second half was to the spare man on the right than forward.

In the first half Borini stretched the runs in the penalty box, setting up Gerrard's scuffed shot and latching onto a ball and going around the keeper. That sort of striker is clearly what Liverpool should be playing first and foremost.

• Advertisement

Lazor's awkward looking volley and Wickham's reaction.

https://vine.co/v/Op06PhPXOlg

Poor second half performance imo. Should have been out of sight at HT, but to be hanging on for the win from this position after playing against 10 men for most of the second half. I can't understand why the whole team was shuffled at half time. If Gerrard had to be replaced good and well, replace him. But don't change the whole team:Loverrn into back 3, Can to WB, Markovich to AM. This disruption broke up the team unnecessarily. Only for Sunderland were piss poor, there could have been 2 points dropped easily here.

I don't think the whole second half was poor. Their were about 10-15 mins were we weren't on the ball but apart from that we were in control. Of course it should have been more than 1 in it at that stage so it always leaves you a bit nervous but I thought we closed it out well.

Happy with 3 points of course away from home. Same again versus Villa next week would be extremely welcome.

dfx- wrote: »
    He was lacking the same movement that Borini created in the first half. In the second half, Coutinho and Markovic were central and getting to the penalty box like in the first half (Henderson and Gerrard were in the first half too, but not in the second half), but it was now congested, making life difficult for Coutinho to thread the ball through and he resorted to shooting. Moreno to crossing. There was an attack in the second half where Markovic broke clear to the byline and did nothing with it as Balotelli ran away from him into the box wanting the impossible cross that never came. The predominant pass for the lads in the centre in the second half was to the spare man on the right than forward.

In the first half Borini stretched the runs in the penalty box, setting up Gerrard's scuffed shot and latching onto a ball and going around the keeper. That sort of striker is clearly what Liverpool should be playing first and foremost.

In the last 10 mins we rarely got any sort of numbers forward in attack and Balotelli was somewhat isolated.

I think it's safe to say we disagree on the source of the lack of fluidity in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Borini an Balo are very different players, borini shows great determination and did well with his running today, but missed an open goal he just isn't of the quality we need even as a back up.

Balo doesn't have the same heart but does have the ability, and could be a useful player if he found some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vicxas wrote: »
    Kelly is having a great game against spurs. Great to see him doing well.

Playing left back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Lucas must be kept. Selling him at this stage of the season just wouldn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we sell Lucas, I give up.

I have zero confidence in us adequately replacing him either.

The fluidity seen in the first half had lessened before Ballotelli replaced Borini. Wasn't like turning a tap on or off.
    One thing Ballotelli did well was win frees with his back to goal from Liverpool clearances. Did so on 3 separate occasions which eased the pressure on the defense.

Can someone give a brief rundown of the story regarding ffp.
    I've heard stories of the club being investigated?
    Some on here have posted that the club have to sell to buy. If so is leeway so tight that all that's available is straight swaps for fees and wages I.e if Borini was sold for 8th does this mean only 8 can be spent on a new player??

Get the f€ck in Palace!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement