Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

garra wrote: »
    I’m sick of sports buffs saying “You couldn’t make it up”. If people can write scripts about dystopian futures in which life is in fact a simulation made by sentient machines in order to harness human’s heat & electricity as an energy source, they can probably write scripts about a football club thriving after selling some over-rated players.

Got some serious deja-vu from this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I could make it up, I have a vivid imagination. In fact, if anyone wants anything made up, just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

garra wrote: »
    I’m sick of sports buffs saying “You couldn’t make it up”. If people can write scripts about dystopian futures in which life is in fact a simulation made by sentient machines in order to harness human’s heat & electricity as an energy source, they can probably write scripts about a football club thriving after selling some over-rated players.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rossc007 wrote: »
    Torres was all about goals, as a goal scorer Sturridge has a better record. Torres may have scored more belters, put that doesn't count for much. Sturridge has already shown that he doesn't need Suarez to perform.

So Torres at his peak or Danny sturridge now, who do you take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Whoa, there's a glitch in the matrix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So Torres at his peak or Danny sturridge now, who do you take?

Suarez, the other 2 are sick notes

Torres at his peak over Sturridge hands down.

Not to say Sturridge can't come back and be as good or better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Torres at his peak over Sturridge hands down.

Not to say Sturridge can't come back and be as good or better.

Sturridge has a better goalscoring rate and his goals have been no less spectacular.
    Currently he's set to reach Torres' record of goals in 60 fewer games, but he's less than halfway there so that could easily change.

Torres was also injured a lot (although I don't think he ever missed as big a chunk of games all in one go).

I think it's a toss up between the two, unless Sturridge continues to get injured at the rate he has this season over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Torres at his peak for me for sure. Sturridge is even more of a sick note than Torres was.

Gbear wrote: »
    Sturridge has a better goalscoring rate and his goals have been no less spectacular.
    Currently he's set to reach Torres' record of goals in 60 fewer games, but he's less than halfway there so that could easily change.

Torres was also injured a lot (although I don't think he ever missed as big a chunk of games all in one go).

I think it's a toss up between the two, unless Sturridge continues to get injured at the rate he has this season over the next 18 months.

Torres was the best player I've seen in the flesh until Suarez came along. The guy had everything. For a few seasons he was in the world class category imo.

Sturridge is a fantastic player and I'm in no way knocking him. My preference would just be for Torres of old.

I thought there was a defacto boycott of koptalk in here?

Is it still owned by Duncan Oldham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

5starpool wrote: »

Ah I didn't know that - post removed

The Lucas rumours are strange to say the least.

He's been a real positive this last few months and has without question been a main factor in results picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He's been a real positive this last few months and has without question been a main factor in results picking up.

Its a bit odd, but we here at Liverpool dont do things normally...

• Advertisement

Are there fresh rumours or are you referring to the ones from Fri/Sat? :)

Torres was the best player I've seen in the flesh until Suarez came along. The guy had everything. For a few seasons he was in the world class category imo.

Sturridge is a fantastic player and I'm in no way knocking him. My preference would just be for Torres of old.

I think Sturridge is as good or better in pretty much every regard.

Sturridge is at least as fast, at least as good a finisher, a far superior dribbler and generally better from a technical standpoint. He also doesn't seem to have games where the ball bounces off his shins all game long.

He scores all types of goals, including the sort of trademark Torres drop-of-the-shoulder-and-run-straight-past-people thing.
    Maybe Torres had a better shot from outside the box.

If Sturridge wasn't English he'd get an awful lot more credit.
    That and the injuries. That's all that's stopping me from saying he's unquestionably better than Torres. You can be as good as Messi but if you never play you may as well be as good as Djimi Traoré

When he's on the pitch though, he's the best striker I've seen play for Liverpool bar Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Suarez, the other 2 are sick notes

But he found a different way to miss games - biting, abusing players, biting...

He's still top of that trio for me because he had the biggest impact on those around him. Torres, when it was not going well, could have a negative impact...

United have been **** for the majority of the season while winning games. I certainly wouldn't have them nailed as one of the top 4 places.

But who would put it past them to sign Hummels from struggling Dortmund to shore up the defence?

EDIT: Sheet, I just checked the news and that is a real rumour!! Can we get Reus in that case?

Augeo wrote: »
    Are there fresh rumours or are you referring to the ones from Fri/Sat? :)

No idea. Just going by what I'm reading in here.

I doubt anyone here actually knows if they are factual or not. I really hope there's nothing to it

• Advertisement

Another 2 goals for Lacazette.

Ok, so we bring in him and Origi, and sell Borini and Lambert?

Sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I love these comparison debates!

Torres for me as well. Sturridge will have to reproduce more than one season (or 18 months), without Torres and perhaps even do it in the CL if he ever gets a chance.

I can't even get excited about him coming back, all I can think of is "how long will he last?".

Dickerty wrote: »
    But who would put it past them to sign Hummels from struggling Dortmund to shore up the defence?

EDIT: Sheet, I just checked the news and that is a real rumour!! Can we get Reus in that case?

We have enough full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

What's the history/reason? I've been on this forum for 3-4 years and never spotted anything referring to Koptalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BenEadir wrote: »
    What's the history/reason? I've been on this forum for 3-4 years and never spotted anything referring to Koptalk.

Where do I start.

Conning fans into thinking he has insider information and getting them to then subscribe to his bull****.
    Obnoxious
    Sun newspaper lover
    Just been an all round CNUT

Doesn't even go to matches apparently as he knows he's in trouble if he's seen.

Jamie Kanwar is another ****ing clown.

Ya, just google and read up on Duncan Oldham to find out why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

**** Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rob316 wrote: »
    Where do I start.

Conning fans into thinking he has insider information and getting them to then subscribe to his bull****.
    Obnoxious
    Sun newspaper lover
    Just been an all round CNUT

Doesn't even go to matches apparently as he knows he's in trouble if he's seen.

Jamie Kanwar is another ****ing clown.

Awh i forgot about Kanwar, what a gent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

J Mysterio wrote: »
    **** Torres

:confused:

Dude played his heart out for us, scoring 65 goals in 102 league games. We got the best of him. He moved on and earned CL and EL medals that would have been impossible to win during the same period at Liverpool. He's now returned home and I would imagine he'll average 10 goals or so a season there for the remaining four or five years of his career.

I genuinely bear him no ill will. I don't bear McManaman / Owen / Alonso / Mascherano / Suarez ill will either. Owen might have the decision back if he could but the rest moved on to hit heights that weren't possible at Liverpool at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

J Mysterio wrote: »
    **** Torres

Watch your mouth pal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Dude played his heart out for us, scoring 65 goals in 102 league games. We got the best of him. He moved on and earned CL and EL medals that would have been impossible to win during the same period at Liverpool. He's now returned home and I would imagine he'll average 10 goals or so a season there for the remaining four or five years of his career.

I genuinely bear him no ill will. I don't bear McManaman / Owen / Alonso / Mascherano / Suarez ill will either. Owen might have the decision back if he could but the rest moved on to hit heights that weren't possible at Liverpool at the time.
    When things were going bad he hid. For the last year he was with us his heart was in it at all. His first 2 seasons wre great as the team was perfectly set up for him. For the majority of his career he wasn't a world class striker imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    When things were going bad he hid. For the last year he was with us his heart was in it at all. His first 2 seasons wre great as the team was perfectly set up for him. For the majority of his career he wasn't a world class striker imo.

The whole team was crap around the same time you reckon he "hid".

I wouldn't single him out in isolation given what was around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The furball that is newsnow
    Liverpool eye £60m Ross Barkley and £23.5m Miralem Pjanic as Steven Gerrard... Daily and Sunday Express 11:12
    Transfer News Today: Liverpool To SWAP Balotelli For £30m Napoli Star Bet.Unibet 11:12

In the last 10 minutes
    Albion in for Liverpool striker? West Bromwich Albion 11:06
    Liverpool looking to bring forward move for midfield Arsenal target AstralFootball 11:06
    Arsenal and Liverpool target James Milner set to STAY at Manchester City Daily Star 11:04

In the last 15 minutes
    Liverpool keeper Simon Mignolet eyeing top four finish and cup success following... Mirror.co.uk 11:04
    Report: Juventus linked with move to sign Liverpool attacker HITC 11:00
    Liverpool transfer news: Higuain and Romero bids The Independent 11:00

In the last half-hour
    Juventus set to BID £14m for Liverpool flop Mario Balotelli Daily Star 10

The time you day he hid didn't he have 2 operations around that period? That's not forgetting having Hodgson as manager for a chunk of it

60m for Barkley.

Right on.

The time you day he hid didn't he have 2 operations around that period? That's not forgetting having Hodgson as manager for a chunk of it

It's not just that though. I remember being at games at the end of Rafa's time (I didn't go under Hodgson) and Torres was visibly not trying very hard. He strolled around and walked with his head down and was getting quite a bit of stick from the crowd at times for it. It's the lack of effort that people are crucifying Balotelli for, but Mario is displaying more effort with us than Torres did in his last 12 months at the club a lot of the time.

Gbear wrote: »
    60m for Barkley.

Right on.

Seems legit alright.

MD1990 wrote: »

Scored 18 goals in 22 league games in 2009 / 10. People assumed that he wasn't trying under Hodgson but he still scored 9 in 23 league games and then struggled mightily at Chelsea.

I think that, now that we have the data, his drop off in production under Hodgson might have more to do with him being done as a top level player than any lack of effort. He had a very injury troubled 2009 / 10 and I think he lost that yard of pace he lived by thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Seems legit alright.
    Already got Barkley printed on the kit, just gotta wait and see the number he gets now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Scored 18 goals in 22 league games in 2009 / 10. People assumed that he wasn't trying under Hodgson but he still scored 9 in 23 league games and then struggled mightily at Chelsea.

I think that, now that we have the data, his drop off in production under Hodgson might have more to do with him being done as a top level player than any lack of effort. He had a very injury troubled 2009 / 10 and I think he lost that yard of pace he lived by thereafter.

Just doesn't have the desire, evidenced by his wiliness to sit on the sidelines at Chelsea and collect medals. Lost his love for the game maybe he can rekindle it at Atletico, not so sure or bothered if I'm honest. Left a sour taste for me the way he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

D'Agger wrote: »
    Already got Barkley printed on the kit, just gotta wait and see the number he gets now

42...always 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Obviously £60m is loltastic but would love to see Barkley playing for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rumors were going to pinch Luke Garbutt from Everton on a free this summer

rob316 wrote: »
    Just doesn't have the desire, evidenced by his wiliness to sit on the sidelines at Chelsea and collect medals. Lost his love for the game maybe he can rekindle it at Atletico, not so sure or bothered if I'm honest. Left a sour taste for me the way he left.

Sit on the sidelines? He scored 12 goals in 26 games across their CL and EL runs, including the memorable winner that slayed Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

Why? He made the right decision and we got a pile of cash for him after he scored a pile of goals for us.

I just can't be angry at players displaying ambition. Nothing lasts forever in this world. We upgraded on Torres in that very window. It's on the club to keep the squad filled with top class talent and accept that we will very rarely get a player's full career.

If the general opinion on here with Gerrard is 'if he can't play by our terms at this stage it's best he leaves' then we can't also get huffy when player's make a similar deduction ala McManaman, Torres, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Torres got us 50m a bag full of goals and some great times.

He left and got medals he wouldn't have gotten at LFC. Some would argue that he didn't deserve them but I wouldn't begrudge him them because the goals he scored for us and the form he was in while winning no medals offsets that for me.

Looking back he was a great player for us. He was crazy good at Anfield in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

gafferino wrote: »
    Obviously £60m is loltastic but would love to see Barkley playing for Liverpool.

I really wouldn't. One of the most over rated players in the EPL. As effective as Shelvey is although he is an all round better player. Cant understand the hype around him. Wouldn't get into our best 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ricero wrote: »
    rumors were going to pinch Luke Garbutt from Everton on a free this summer
    Should ask about Tony Hibbert while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Loved Torres while he was at the club but there is no doubt that the way he left the club left a bitter aftertaste with many fans. Despite the fact we got a scandalous amount of money for him. He pretty much sulked his way through his last 12 months at Liverpool. Whether he was frustrated with his own form or injuries or the fact they he wanted away. He had a face like a slapped arse for much of that time. That doesn't tend to endear you to supporters.

That said I think he would get a decent reception if he was ever back at Anfield in the future. Just not a rapturous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

NukaCola wrote: »
    I really wouldn't. One of the most over rated players in the EPL. As effective as Shelvey is although he is an all round better player. Cant understand the hype around him. Wouldn't get into our best 11.

If we were to throw massive hugh piles of cash at the Toffees, I'd rather it was throw with a mind to get Coleman.
    Would solve our right back issues, as Johnson is muck and Manquillo is dependable but not ours and ultimately not an upgrade on Flanno.
    Although, I'm sure there is cheaper alternatives to Coleman out there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement