Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Neither Sakho nor Skrtel are top class.

Some people prefer one to another, but both are prone to errors.

For me, I feel edgy every time the ball goes near Sakho - he strikes me as having that awful combination of supreme self confidence and an uncanny knack for making a mess of things. When teaWhenut pressure on him he's particularly prone to error, I don't think this is the same with skrtel, he makes a mess of things by himself

There might be the odd mistake in Sakho, but what he brings in terms of crisp assured passing and stridently attacking the ball gives me the impression that with a sustained spell in the team he could form the base of a stiff spine of the team. Give him a good run and build confidence I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Cech and Lacazette (or that new Aguero guy) would be nice! Hopefully BR is just playing down expectations which seems like the sensible thing to do. However, I suspect we'll need to sell to buy and that there isn't much more than £10m net to spend. Flogging Balo, Borini (what is it about Italian signings?), and maybe Allen could free up £30m or so. Would 10m for Cech and 30m for Lacazette get it done?

The worrying thing though is that Liverpool seem unable to compete for the really top end, in-demand players. We've lost out on Sanchez to Arsenal, Costa to Chelsea (although a year after we tried to get him), Willian to Chelsea just to name a few. A lot of these players just don't want to move to the grim north of england and will only consider a London based club. We couldn't convince Siggy to join us over Spurs so I doubt if we were even in the market for Fabregas. Painful as it is to admit, those players that would consider a move to the north of england would be more likely to join Utd than us. Higher wages, bigger stadium, more recent success than us, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

garra wrote: »
    Yet another point which is focused on the perceived motivations of another poster, instead of discussing the team or events. Just dragging the thread into the realms of school-yard "them vrs us" arguments. Tedious.

Yesterday you claimed anyone who doesn't share your views on rogers is either not an LFC fan or knows nothing about football.....hint of pot and kettle me thinks. For the record Im behind BR 100%

Can't multi quote on fone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Failure to sign players in Jan = no top 4.

It's that simple imo.

Galvanise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Failure to sign players in Jan = no top 4.

It's that simple imo.

Failure to sell players is what would prevent this. A lot of money has already gone on signings but as I pointed out in the last thread, NONE of Rodger's signings that haven't worked out have been sold. Aspas, Borini, Luis Alberto, Assaidi, even players like Illori, Yesil and Teixeira who I don't see as ever being first team regulars unfortunately....why can these players not be sold? All are still getting a wage slip signed by LFC. And if you're never going to play the likes of Suso or Coates, then why are they not being sold?

It's one thing to keep signing players but at some stage you have to bank money from outgoing players. If you keep signing people to contracts then loaning them out or benching them instead of selling, then finances will mean you cannot bring anyone new in.

If you're not going to play them, sell them. At least get them off the wage bill and get money in the kitty.

I'm as frustrated with the potential lack of Jan transfers as the next fan, but I'm not surprised. The breaking point of the squad had to come, with the young guys coming through as well as only shifting players out on loan means that the squad has ballooned in the last 18months-2yrs.

Apart from a goalkeeper, I wouldn't be signing many more players without some deadwood being let go. And don't get me wrong, I like some of the players who are out in the cold right now, but comes a time that you've got to choose, should we sign a Shaqiri, or not and play Suso instead? If it's the former, then sell Suso. A player I'd love to see do well but given the choice I'd make the signing and let the lad go and make his name for himself before he leaves it too long.

What I wouldn't do is sign lots more players who are better than what we have currently, without letting those lads go.

• Advertisement

PRAF wrote: »
    Cech and Lacazette (or that new Aguero guy) would be nice! Hopefully BR is just playing down expectations which seems like the sensible thing to do. However, I suspect we'll need to sell to buy and that there isn't much more than £10m net to spend. Flogging Balo, Borini (what is it about Italian signings?), and maybe Allen could free up £30m or so. Would 10m for Cech and 30m for Lacazette get it done?

The worrying thing though is that Liverpool seem unable to compete for the really top end, in-demand players. We've lost out on Sanchez to Arsenal, Costa to Chelsea (although a year after we tried to get him), Willian to Chelsea just to name a few. A lot of these players just don't want to move to the grim north of england and will only consider a London based club. We couldn't convince Siggy to join us over Spurs so I doubt if we were even in the market for Fabregas. Painful as it is to admit, those players that would consider a move to the north of england would be more likely to join Utd than us. Higher wages, bigger stadium, more recent success than us, etc.

It does seem an issue for the club, God knows we have heard ad nauseum about how we wanted Sanchez in the summer and how he chose London over Liverpool, blah blah.
    You have to look at other clubs for a blue-print of how to attract top talent, and money is just one of the motivational factors behind a player's choice. The chance to be part of something exciting and the capacity to grow/nurture a footballer's career are equally as important, and both of these factors come back to the philosophy of management. Time to be bold and positive Bren.

There might be the odd mistake in Sakho, but what he brings in terms of crisp assured passing and stridently attacking the ball gives me the impression that with a sustained spell in the team he could form the base of a stiff spine of the team. Give him a good run and build confidence I say

I'm not convinced, the defending aspects of his game are very good although he was at fault against Swansea, he should have but that header out for a corner instead he sent it sigersson for an easy tap in, we all make mistakes.

The biggest issue is he is very uncomfortable in possession and just doesn't look like a footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not convinced, the defending aspects of his game are very good although he was at fault against Swansea, he should have but that header out for a corner instead he sent it sigersson for an easy tap in, we all make mistakes.

The biggest issue is he is very uncomfortable in possession and just doesn't look like a footballer.

I boggle at the idea people just see an "awkward stance" and not he what he does with the ball. He is exactly what Liverpool need if they want to play out from the back. Sakho needs to be first choice from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Yet another point which is focused on the perceived motivations of another poster, instead of discussing the team or events. Just dragging the thread into the realms of school-yard "them vrs us" arguments. Tedious.

I wasn't just talking about posters actually, at all. There was a large group of fans pathetically asking for Rodgers head halfway through the season and I that's why I made that statement. To turn on a manager so soon after a season when we played the best football we have in years is clueless. It isn't a them vs us argument at all as we're all on the same side at the end of the day but it still needs to be said. If you love the club you support the manager that's what Liverpool is and has always been about. This attitude in the last 10 years of calling for the managers head when things aren't going well is getting us nowhere. Lets try giving someone a chance? So you can **** off with your "tedious".

Yesterday you claimed anyone who doesn't share your views on rogers is either not an LFC fan or knows nothing about football.....hint of pot and kettle me thinks. For the record Im behind BR 100%

Can't multi quote on fone

Not quite true, I said:
    "I was fuming with Rodgers a few weeks ago, anyone who wasn't is either not an LFC fan or has no football knowledge".. This is not the same as the constant sniping about a particular poster's motivations, which belongs in the school-yard or the Dail. Let's be above that.

So you were not angry with Bren's team selections a few weeks ago, and you are a fan of LFC, and you know your football. OK, I stand corrected on that point so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Tusky wrote: »
    The truth is we never replaced Suarez. We are still crying out for a top class replacement. The priority in the summer should have been spending as much of the Suarez money as necessary on the best player available. That should still be the priority in January.

The very best replacement possible really was Alexis Sanchez and he was our number one priority. I can't remember too many other obvious candidates after him. There aren't many strikers out there I'd be happy throwing 30-40 million after. Sanchez was one, Cavani another. Bony or Benteke aren't in that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Galvanise?

galvincelebration.gif

I boggle at the idea people just see an "awkward stance" and not he what he does with the ball. He is exactly what Liverpool need if they want to play out from the back. Sakho needs to be first choice from here on.

The awkward stance is only mildly annoying its his less than delicate touch and control that concerns me the most.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I wasn't just talking about posters actually, at all. There was a large group of fans pathetically asking for Rodgers head halfway through the season and I that's why I made that statement. To turn on a manager so soon after a season when we played the best football we have in years is clueless. It isn't a them vs us argument at all as we're all on the same side at the end of the day but it still needs to be said. If you love the club you support the manager that's what Liverpool is and has always been about. This attitude in the last 10 years of calling for the managers head when things aren't going well is getting us nowhere. Lets try giving someone a chance? So you can **** off with your "tedious".

Totally agree, with the exception of the hodge he had to go. The dogs in the street could see he was out of his depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The thought of Lovren going straight back into the team is depressing.

If he drops Sakho and plays Lovren we'll concede more goals...it's as simple as that.

I'd love to see Ilori come back in the summer, Can/Ilori/Sakho could be a pretty epic back three (if such a thing can be said to be possible!) - pace and power. Drop in Schneiderlin and we'd be looking good :)

Unconditional love for a manager is not a recipe for success. I love the club and would not be expressing that if I were to unconditionally accept and support a manager's decisions when the performances were so insipid.

I'd love to see Ilori come back in the summer, Can/Ilori/Sakho could be a pretty epic back three (if such a thing can be said to be possible!) - pace and power. Drop in Schneiderlin and we'd be looking good :)

Has he been ripping it up in France? Have not heard much in the way of progress reports except to hear he started games etc. I know he has great pace and exceptional touch for a centre-half, does he have the physicality for PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ilori is inexperienced but I think he would be a very good CB for us.Next year this would be great

Cech/New Keeper
    Can----Ilori----Sakho
    Markovic
    Moreno
    Sneiderlin---Henderson
    Sterling
    Coutinho/Lallana
    Sturridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I don't see how it's behind us with some shrewd signings.

It's only a 5 point gap with 57 points to play for. We are outsiders but hardly no hopers for it

Do you really trust Rodgers/transfer committee to make shrewd signings?

I for one don't. Whilst I agree that signings are needed
    a. Don't think the required number of signings will be made
    b. If signings are made i don't have faith in them having a relatively immediate effect.

Hope I'm wrong with the above

• Advertisement

Unconditional love for a manager is not a recipe for success. I love the club and would not be expressing that if I were to unconditionally accept and support a manager's decisions when the performances were so insipid.

And ditching him at the first run of bad results after nearly delivering a title last year with a young team which shouldn't have been challenging in the first place is a recipe for success?. In my book you wait till its very very clear he has no future before asking for his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ilori is inexperienced but I think he would be a very good CB for us.Next year this would be great

Cech/New Keeper
    Can----Ilori----Sakho
    Markovic
    Moreno
    Sneiderlin---Henderson
    Sterling
    Coutinho/Lallana
    Sturridge

How many times have you seen Ilori play 90 minutes? Genuine question, I'd hazard a guess that 99.9% of posters who are saying similar to the above have not seen him at all yet love the old stock reply that he is a cultured centre back with great pace.

Now I'm not slating him at all, he is apparently very promising but he has seen very little football in the last 18months. He has barely featured for Bordeaux (he has had injuries but he has been overlooked once fit aswell) with Nicolas Pallois preferred at centre half.

However after the debacle in the Lyon game he may see some game time with Pallois now suspended. Apologies for picking on your post, It just irks me when people make sweeping statements such as yours when quite frankly it's wishful thinking rather anything more substantive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

According to the Italian press, Bayern have made Shaqiri available for loan. The deal would be subject to a €15M transfer in the summer. He's certainly a better option than Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I wonder what the story is with Borini. We clearly wanted to sell in the summer, I so wonder if benching/omitting has been a ploy to ensure it happens this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Re Bony.
    In today's Independent it said that Swansea recently removed the £19th buyout clause.
    That will only send his price in one direction. Add the supposed interest from City/Chelsea and you'd hope Liverpool were sizing up other options (if they're going buying a forward & are even interested in Bony)

And ditching him at the first run of bad results after nearly delivering a title last year with a young team which shouldn't have been challenging in the first place is a recipe for success?. In my book you wait till its very very clear he has no future before asking for his head.

I like the chap so have not been calling for him to be ditched, but he has been making it increasingly difficult to support him this season. If you wait until its "very very clear he has no future" you are in danger of putting personal loyalty ahead of the club's best interests. I want a likeable Irishman to succeed as the manager of a successfull LFC, dont we all.. so lets look forward the new year with hope.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Re Bony.
    In today's Independent it said that Swansea recently removed the £19th buyout clause.
    That will only send his price in one direction. Add the supposed interest from City/Chelsea and you'd hope Liverpool were sizing up other options (if they're going buying a forward & are even interested in Bony)

Not bothered would prefer Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Lovren is the most disappointing of all the transfers this year. Primarily because it looked like a nice piece of business. When a CB can't even anticipate a ball from the air properly you're in serious trouble :(

I like the chap so have not been calling for him to be ditched, but he has been making it increasingly difficult to support him this season. If you wait until its "very very clear he has no future" you are in danger of putting personal loyalty ahead of the club's best interests. I want a likeable Irishman to succeed as the manager of a successfull LFC, dont we all.. so lets look forward the new year with hope.

When I say very clear I mean the performance level as well as the results must be shocking. There has been some very good performances this season which we didn't get the points utd and arsenal spring to mind. I agree, It is a new year and definitely I'll be looking up not down.

• Advertisement

How many times have you seen Ilori play 90 minutes? Genuine question, I'd hazard a guess that 99.9% of posters who are saying similar to the above have not seen him at all yet love the old stock reply that he is a cultured centre back with great pace.

Now I'm not slating him at all, he is apparently very promising but he has seen very little football in the last 18months. He has barely featured for Bordeaux (he has had injuries but he has been overlooked once fit aswell) with Nicolas Pallois preferred at centre half.

However after the debacle in the Lyon game he may see some game time with Pallois now suspended. Apologies for picking on your post, It just irks me when people make sweeping statements such as yours when quite frankly it's wishful thinking rather anything more substantive.

I saw him play a few times for Granada CF last season, he looks the "right kind" of player for what Rodgers wants at the back. He is talented but he has been unlucky with the injuries this season. Given he is bought and paid for I'd prefer to give him a chance rather than look to yet another transfer.

Lovren is the most disappointing of all the transfers this year. Primarily because it looked like a nice piece of business. When a CB can't even anticipate a ball from the air properly you're in serious trouble :(

Annoying cause he was very good at Southampton last year but I ain't giving up on him yet he just needs to find his mojo.

Balo is my most disappointing signing of the summer his attitude is unbelievably poor. At the time I thought not the best signing but at least its not welbeck how wrong I was.

Statement from the owners...
    As 2014 comes to a close, John Henry and I want to send our supporters around the globe our best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

Reflecting on the club's activities these past 12 months, there was much to celebrate during our memorable season that ended in May. While we did not achieve our ultimate ambition in winning the Premier League, our style of play captured the attention of the world as the club played attacking football, scoring 101 goals. Luis Suarez was named the best player in English football, winning the PFA Player of the Year award; Brendan Rodgers was awarded the LMA Manager of the Year award; and our captain, Steven Gerrard, continued to demonstrate his talents as one of the greatest football players of our era.

As you would expect losing a footballer as capable as Luis Suarez and making a number of new signings, our season has gotten off to a slower start than we would have wanted. However, in the past few weeks we are pleased to see a number of positive signs as new players start to settle into life at Anfield.

As we look at the table this New Year's Eve, we have closed the gap between Liverpool and the top four clubs to five points. We look forward to the return of Daniel Sturridge sometime in late January. We are very encouraged by his efforts and determination to resolve his injuries. Great progress has been made that should help him going forward.

Off the pitch, 2014 has been a momentous year in the steps we have taken to expand the Main Stand at Anfield. After years of discussion, many of which preceded our stewardship, we are now moving forward with a design that will add around 8,500 new seats. The construction work will be finished during the 2016-2017 season, and it will combine our great history and tradition with the amenities of a 21st-century facility. If you visit the grounds in the next few weeks, you will see that the demolition has started.

As I said during an interview on LFCTV HD last month, we are excited not just for our supporters, but also because we are part of a carefully developed regeneration plan in partnership with Mayor Anderson and the City Council, as well as Your Housing and the homeowners in Anfield, to make this a more vibrant community.

We are also encouraged by the fine work of our senior management team at the club, led by Ian Ayre. 2014 saw us achieving the highest revenues of the club in its history, and, as we have stated numerous times in the past, every pound we make is reinvested in strengthening the club.

Other highlights of the year include an extremely successful tour in the United States, where we are creating many new supporters; the start of our first ever commercial office in London, led by Billy Hogan; and a reinvigorated LFCTV HD channel offering live, daily news broadcasts from Melwood.

Returning to our performance on the pitch and as Brendan said in his post-match interview after the Swansea City game: "The second part of the season offers us real excitement. You see the team as it is playing now, and how they're working, and we are very much together and looking to get results."

John and I want to end this message by commenting on a different subject. Today it has been announced that Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks have been made CBEs in Her Majesty The Queen's New Year Honours List for their services to bereaved Hillsborough families. Like all of you, we have been tremendously inspired by their tenacity, courage and dignity, and we congratulate Margaret and Trevor on their richly deserved awards.

YNWA,
    Tom Werner and John W Henry

Statement from the owners...

Less talk more Reus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everything is beautiful

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Everything is beautiful

Other than your shopworn sarcasm

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Everything is beautiful

Go easy on the sherry,Lloyd...you'll never last till midnight at this rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I may have misunderstood, but people blaming sakho for swanseas goal is ridiculous. If that had been any other Liverpool defender bony would have scored with a relatively unopposed header. Sakho cleaned him out and won the ball, he wasn't in a position to guide his header

Just been watching a bit of that Luciano Vietto chap from Villarreal (12m), he appears to have all the right attributes for this Liverpool set up - balanced, quick, nimble and shoots early. You could see him enjoying playing off Lallana, Coutinho and Moreno especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

MR NINE wrote: »
    I may have misunderstood, but people blaming sakho for swanseas goal is ridiculous. If that had been any other Liverpool defender bony would have scored with a relatively unopposed header. Sakho cleaned him out and won the ball, he wasn't in a position to guide his header

+1.

He contested what looked a lost cause and won. The ball could have gone anywhere but he prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity. Just unfortunate that it was an unmarked Swansea player it fell to.

Who should have picked Siggurdson up is the question that needs answering.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    +1.

He contested what looked a lost cause and won. The ball could have gone anywhere but he prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity. Just unfortunate that it was an unmarked Swansea player it fell to.

I disagree he's ahead of bony when the ball arrives but he jumps into the challenge and gets over the ball if he waits on the ground he can but the ball out for a corner allot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I like Sakho, but his passing looks like the weakest part of his game, his looks so awkward when hes on the ball. I've seen him hit some well dodgy passes in the past couple of games, nearly played in an opposition attacker with a routine cross field pass on the deck, if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MR NINE wrote: »

yup, it's hilarious.

Skrtel is randomly pointing, sitting too deep, hoping Henderson is taking care of Bony, with Sakho in the position he's supposed to be.

the only one who did anything constructive defensively was Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lovren---Can---Sakho.

I can handle that if Lovren can get his form back.

Skrtel has been playing well since Lovren has been dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5live wrote: »
    +1.

Skrtel was absolutely brainless and shows how poor of a defender he is. I know I'm giving him stick which seems popular at the moment but fully warranted, he was truly awful for the goal.

For the build up he failed to pick up Bony despite it being his responsibility. He is ball watching as the ball is crossed in first and Can comes across and cant get a head on it. He immediately again loses Bony and Sakho has to come across. Skrtel sits deep by about 3 yards behind the defensive line for some reason and when the ball breaks Lucas, Skrtel and Henderson just watch Siggurdson tap it in no one comes from deep. Bony was the only Swansea player in the box when the cross came in first.

Its not his fault directly but just show how awful he is. If you get a chance check it out. Brutal.

Henderson was sloppy, the ball was played to him and he tried to be clever by chesting it and lost possession and then failed to track any runner from Midfield, as good as he was that kind of sloppyness can turn a game and nearly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    Skrtel was absolutely brainless and shows how poor of a defender he is. I know I'm giving him stick which seems popular at the moment but fully warranted, he was truly awful for the goal.

For the build up he failed to pick up Bony despite it being his responsibility. He is ball watching as the ball is crossed in first and Can comes across and cant get a head on it. He immediately again loses Bony and Sakho has to come across. Skrtel sits deep by about 3 yards behind the defensive line for some reason and when the ball breaks Lucas, Skrtel and Henderson just watch Siggurdson tap it in no one comes from deep. Bony was the only Swansea player in the box when the cross came in first.

Its not his fault directly but just show how awful he is. If you get a chance check it out. Brutal.

Henderson was sloppy, the ball was played to him and he tried to be clever by chesting it and lost possession and then failed to track any runner from Midfield, as good as he was that kind of sloppyness can turn a game and nearly did.

I can rarely recall a time when criticism of Skrtel was unwarranted. For many his goals last year papered over the cracks in his complete lack of concentration and haplessness when it comes to the basics of defending. I will never feel confident in us keeping a clean sheet as long as he's part of the defence.

SlickRic wrote: »
    yup, it's hilarious.

Skrtel is randomly pointing, sitting too deep, hoping Henderson is taking care of Bony, with Sakho in the position he's supposed to be.

the only one who did anything constructive defensively was Sakho.

OK sakho did well to get across bony from his starting position but if he just comes and meets the ball properly it goes out for a corner.

Also check sakho from our tip off after the goal he plays a simple pass straight to bony and they are unlucky not to be level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mosstin wrote: »
    I can rarely recall a time when criticism of Skrtel was unwarranted. For many his goals last year papered over the cracks in his complete lack of concentration and haplessness when it comes to the basics of defending. I will never feel confident in us keeping a clean sheet as long as he's part of the defence.

I agree, but I dont think he's the sole reason for us being poor at the back, he needs a solid defender next to him because he just isn't a good reader of the game. BR played him in the centre CB slot, and seemed to be the organiser of the back 3 which is hilarious because he just hasn't got any organisational skills.

He's a good tackler, strong, good in the air.....but has bad positional sense, switches off a lot, no organisational skill and poor reading of the game. A solid defender next to him and a clear idea what the defence is supposed to be doing along with a DM would solve a lot of his problems.

He is one part of a bigger problem in terms of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Skrtel has been playing well since Lovren has been dropped.

Skrtel is suspended tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

OK sakho did well to get across bony from his starting position but if he just comes and meets the ball properly it goes out for a corner.

he did all he could do from his starting position.
    Also check sakho from our tip off after the goal he plays a simple pass straight to bony and they are unlucky not to be level

haven't argued that for a moment. it was a brainfart of the highest order, but it doesn't mean he wasn't our best defender.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement