Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Got some serious deja-vu from this post.

Are you living in Belfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    From what I remember we had a lot of draws which cost us the league and thinking back, Benitez could of possibly loosen the shackles just a wee bit against the lesser sides in the league.

Still it was a great season and like last year, its a shame we just fell short.

I recall drawn 0:0s at Anfield against lowly opposition where Rafa was saying afterwards "But we had 23 shots on goal, we should have scored..' when most of them were from outside the box. One of the tests of champions is breaking through that wall, great season though it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

As far as i'm concerned, I've never seen Liverpool play better than I have under Rodgers last season.

We had a fucķing disaster start to this season but thankfully Rodgers has turned it around and we can be reasonably positive again.

I look forward to the UEFA Cup now as well as the League Cup and FA Cup ties. It will definitely be a serious challenge to try and finish fourth or win the UEFA Cup to get that Champions League spot but it seems the new players have more or less settled and I feel somewhat optimistic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

The 08/09 season under Rafa we scored a lot of goals, but for his reign overall we didnt score enough and we had some putrid attacking performances. Rafa is a tactician, hes great at cup competitions, but over a league season his teams rarely score enough goals. Even the 08/09 season we had a run of games where we struggled to score around december/january iirc? Had we been able to turn some of those draws into wins we would have won the league.

Im a big fan of Rafa, and if Rodgers were to leave Id be very much open to the idea of Rafa coming back (though I dont think theres a hope in hell of it happening) but Rafa is a slightly negative coach, its not a myth. Napoli are my second team, and I got a flashback of some of the more frustrating teams of his Liverpool tenure during some of Napolis games. His teams often struggle to put away the minnows. As has been mentioned before, a Rafa/Rodgers hybrid would be a brilliant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm so thorn when it comes to that Europa league, on one hand it's a trophy and by winning it, CL is a certainty but on the flip, it will be very though considdering the remaing teams and then throw in the Thursday nights and all the travelling.

I just think our best route to CL is by qualifying via the top four, so I be inclined to play a lot of youth against Bekistas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

rob316 wrote: »
    Benitez had a system that made us solid, we scored plenty of goals but so often you just wished it wasn't as rigid and we just went for it. In truth it was the lack of a quality back up striker to Torres that cost us that season.
    There was a lot of draws against dour teams, but Torres was missing for a majority of them.

100% agree with this. Its all 'ifs and buts' but I think if we had of bought someone with a bit more pace than Robbie that summer before who could have been a more adequate replacement for Torres then it would have made all the difference.

04/05: F 52 A 41

05/06: F 57 A 25

06/07: F 57 A 27

07/08: F 67 A 28

08/09: F 77 A 27

09/10: F 61 A 35

Benitez teams very consistant in the against goals column bar season 1 and his last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liverpools 08/09 season was at the very least on par with last season. Only 2 losses that entire league season. Add that to the fact that we were actually in the CL and made the QFs. We won our group undefeated and destroyed Real Madrid but got knocked out by Chelsea. People bang on about goals from last season etc but 77 goals scored is a great return and we scored the highest that season and we only conceded 27. Also a record points haul of 86. That was a fantastic season.

Last year was excellent and completely unexpected which made it better. We were in a better position to actually win it and some of the football was absolutely amazing but I cant separate either season. Both were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    From what I remember we had a lot of draws which cost us the league and thinking back, Benitez could of possibly loosen the shackles just a wee bit against the lesser sides in the league.

Still it was a great season and like last year, its a shame we just fell short.

January killed us, never picked up a league win all month.

Draws sgainst Stoke, everton and Wigan, a nil nil and 2 one one draws.

Worst things is Torres was there for those games and in the 1-1 draws we conceded goals in the last 10 minutes.

We then got back on track only to put in a pitiful performance against Boro and lose 2 nil.

All ifs and buts but I always felt although keane was by no means a superstar we should have kept him at least for the season rather than selling him on. Who knows what a player giving us even an extra 5 goals in the 2nd half of the season might have helped us achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are we back to trips down memory lane already lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Assaidi officially off to dubai for twice what we paid for him, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can tell we won at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

klose wrote: »
    Assaidi officially off to dubai for twice what we paid for him, somehow.

Well, we got him for an absolute steal, and then just decided not to play a good player, despite poorer players being on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Damien360 wrote: »

We're on back to back trips for only the third time this season, really need to start putting a run together so we never have to face reality ever again.

How many Liverpool fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they just sit in the dark & talk about how good the old one was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sure it's all we ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, we got him for an absolute steal, and then just decided not to play a good player, despite poorer players being on the field.

Easy there tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

B7LRwVyIMAEnekQ.jpg

If that went in,I'd still be jumping around my sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

NukaCola wrote: »

Fresh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

B7LRwVyIMAEnekQ.jpg

If that went in,I'd still be jumping around my sitting room.

It's photos like that that make me wish I was good at photoshop!!

• Advertisement

It's photos like that that make me wish I was good at photoshop!!

I've seen one with a surfboard shopped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I've seen one with a surfboard shopped in.

Or get him shopped in to something like this
    0.jpg

Ahh, the 80's were great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Anymore classic jokes?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hodgson voted Mascherano as hi world player of the year, probably just to say that he once sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rarnes1 wrote: »
    04/05: F 52 A 41

05/06: F 57 A 25

06/07: F 57 A 27

07/08: F 67 A 28

08/09: F 77 A 27

09/10: F 61 A 35

Benitez teams very consistant in the against goals column bar season 1 and his last season.

Furthering your point on first and last season, the slow but steady increase on goals scored, all while not worsening the defence, gives an insight into his overall approach I think.

The point about him being a negative coach is not incorrect. However, I don't thin it should be used as a slight against him. His style is merely to built from the back as the priority. Very effective, particularly in the cup competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafa as DOF & defensive coach.

Get it done FSG :)

Furthering your point on first and last season, the slow but steady increase on goals scored, all while not worsening the defence, gives an insight into his overall approach I think.

The point about him being a negative coach is not incorrect. However, I don't thin it should be used as a slight against him. His style is merely to built from the back as the priority. Very effective, particularly in the cup competitions.

Yeah, I wouldn't have called him negative.

He had the defense better organised for sure and the whole team defensively was much better than what we have now.

Perfect for cup comps as you say particularly Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I've no doubt that some players get a raw deal from time to time, however, I'm not sure Assaidi is one of them. Could it be that he just didn't do enough to impress the manager in his time at Anfield?

A cheap purchase, didn't work out, made a few quid on his transfer fee, no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We need to get two things this window and do one thing with those two things and one existing thing we have.

Purchase number one:
    rafael_benitez_epa_1495414c.jpg

Purchase number 2:
    TheFly.png

Thing that we all ready have at the club:
    bb0203_liverpool.jpg

and then do the thing with the two new things, one of which is an old new thing, with the thing that we all ready have to create a new thing that is the thing that we need.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    We need to get two things this window and do one thing with those two things and one existing thing we have.

Purchase number one:
    rafael_benitez_epa_1495414c.jpg

Purchase number 2:
    TheFly.png

Thing that we all ready have at the club:
    bb0203_liverpool.jpg

and then do the thing with the two new things, one of which is an old new thing, with the thing that we all ready have to create a new thing that is the thing that we need.

24368947.jpg
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemegenerator.net%2Finstance%2F50064215&ei=akO0VKvgKIPuaNrygTg&bvm=bv.83339334,d.d24&psig=AFQjCNEtaTHM6SJsPdax1nZdZxx87nNE4A&ust=1421186054741279

24368947.jpg
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemegenerator.net%2Finstance%2F50064215&ei=akO0VKvgKIPuaNrygTg&bvm=bv.83339334,d.d24&psig=AFQjCNEtaTHM6SJsPdax1nZdZxx87nNE4A&ust=1421186054741279

Nah they're not, they are magic

pa9xa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

In the 08/09 season we drew 11, lost 2 and won 25.

The Arsenal "invincibles" drew 12 and won 26 to win the league.

So, you could say we lost too many games that season. If we matched the Arsenal "invincibles" of 12 draws and 26 wins then we would have won the league on goal difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do reckon a Rafa coached team that had last years attacking talent would have won the deal. Reckon he'd go pretty well with this seasons one too

I do believe that we need 3 genuine striking options. Sturridge, hopefully Origi and then another similar type of player. I reckon Origi has the physique to play the big man up front role too. I'd love Benteke to be the 3rd striker option though

Behind the striker being the likes of Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe leaves just a midfield pairing to match what Mascherano and Alonso were. Don't think Henderson for all his qualities could compare to those two. But the Tafa sides had Riera and Kuyt where now there's Sterling and Lallana.

I think Rodgers is more flexible tactically but Benitez more solid and secure than a Rodgers team can be.

The defence would need to see an improvement from all centre half concerned and I think Moreno/Manquillo could mature into very decent fullbacks. Just need to get a top keeper in after that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I prefer Rodgers over Rafa. By far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

5starpool wrote: »
    Fancy him did you?

:pac:
    ricero wrote: »
    Ya dirty fecker

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I prefer Rodgers over Rafa. By far.

If it was a personality contest Rodgers would win. But its not. Its a results game, and while last season was great we won nothing.

I don't care who the manager is once they have us winning. Rodgers will only get so much time with a "nearly won a title" if we aren't going for top 4.

I'm glad BR is our manager but he has a way to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If it was a personality contest Rodgers would win. But its not. Its a results game, and while last season was great we won nothing.

I don't care who the manager is once they have us winning. Rodgers will only get so much time with a "nearly won a title" if we aren't going for top 4.

Strange argument this as Rafa never won the league either.

Would people not agree that Rogers came closer to winning it than Rafa.

We had the title in our hands with 3 games to go. Rafa never did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumours of Lucas out if we can land fabian delph this window.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange argument this as Rafa never won the league either.

Would people not agree that Rogers came closer to winning it than Rafa.

We had the title in our hands with 3 games to go. Rafa never did that.

The only point I wanted to make was this.
    Rodgers will only get so much time with a "nearly won a title" if we aren't going for top 4.

If we aren't going for top 4 consistently it wont matter about what he did last year. My point is he has to prove he is a consistent performer or he wont make it here.

Yes BR got us closer to the league but if we aren't pushing for top 4 and winning trophies that one "nearly" season will mean nothing.

Many here disregard what Rafa has done at LFC. If Rodgers achieves the same he will be rightly celebrated. I hope he does but its strange how badly Rafa is remembered by some. Rodgers is a young and very capable manager but what Rafa achieved and what Rodgers has achieved for this club is almost night and day.

I'm happy to have Rodgers and all but the bashing of Rafa is sad. Some fans are very fickle and have short memories i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nearly winning a title means nothing to me Tbh. It was great and all to have hope right up until the last few games and all but ultimatley all it means is we got straight to the cl group stage.

Can anyone say without checking how many times liverpool have come 2nd In the league? I can't and I don't care Tbh because it's irrelevant. Most people will tell you accurately how many times loads of teams have actually won it though.

Winning stuff is what matters and until we win something, Rogers has a blank cv.

In 5 or 6 years, plenty of opposition fans won't remember or care we came 2nd that year. They'd bloody well remember if we'd won it though.

• Advertisement

The only point I wanted to make was this.

If we aren't going for top 4 consistently it wont matter about what he did last year. My point is he has to prove he is a consistent performer or he wont make it here.

Yes BR got us closer to the league but if we aren't pushing for top 4 and winning trophies that one "nearly" season will mean nothing.

Many here disregard what Rafa has done at LFC. If Rodgers achieves the same he will be rightly celebrated. I hope he does but its strange how badly Rafa is remembered by some. Rodgers is a young and very capable manager but what Rafa achieved and what Rodgers has achieved for this club is almost night and day.

I'm happy to have Rodgers and all but the bashing of Rafa is sad. Some fans are very fickle and have short memories i guess.

I wish I suffered from such memory lapses.

Roy-Hodgson-Liverpool-man-006.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If that happens then you can kiss this season goodbye.

Is delph really the best we can muster up?

I assume it won't trigger a bidding war for him between us and the rest of the top 6 ( I'm on the phone but feel free to picture a large roll eyes here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

If that happens then I will be livid. It will just highlight even more the amount of idiots the club has running things behind the scenes

At least this summer we'll most likely rocket a few places up the wage bill league table.just think of all those pay slips that won't need to be printed. That's a saving on the office bills too. That's where the real glory is. Moral high ground ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I actually quite like Delph, he is a very underrated defensive midfielder with a good creative streak too. I'd have him over Allen any day but over Lucas Im not so sure. Hes been pretty instrumental to the side since he came back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The thing i (like) and find with Rodgers style of play is that it is exciting to watch every week, in general i mean. The problem i find with Rodgers style of play is that he has a similar level of ability imo as Kevin Keegan had with Newcastle when they were fantastic to watch but ultimately there was a short shelf life to the whole thing if you cant prevent goals conceded. Rodgers doesnt seem to be able to strike a balance, dare i say it, he doesnt even see it as needed.

And that will ultimately decide everyone's fate because if we arent going to splash a wedge on a real quality striker then we have to tighten up. We havent made any inroads on that whatsoever. Its a fundamental flaw in the strategy we have and a fairly obvious one.

I think it is very important from here that the club give someone a job that is actually capable of making a big signing or two because we have enough youth and we lose a lot of experience the end of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Makes a lot of sense for us to swap Lucas for Delph alright

lucas_delph.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Fabian Delph sounds like an unwanted wedding present.

Lucas still has way too much to offer to let him go to Inter for peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Skrtel offered a new deal according to the echo. Was hoping he'd be shipped out next summer tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement