Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Comparison.jpg

See what I did there?

Look I'm no massive fan of Delph either but don't be using stat comparisons to judge players. They can be manipulated to tell whatever narrative you choose.

Use your own eyes. And if you haven't watched a player enough to make up your mind, say so and sit on the fence until you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kirby wrote: »

See what I did there? .

Yeah, you picked out a bunch of stats less relevant to their position, good man.

Because keeping the ball, losing tackles and creating chances has nothing to do with overall midfield play. :p

They don't even play in the same role to begin with. A direct comparison with stats is foolhardy. You see the point Lloyd. You are just choosing to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, you picked out a bunch of stats less relevant to their position, good man.

He did, but also, I don't think Delph has played the same role as Lucas would.

Anyway, I don't like this business of removing Lucas for Delph. Or pushing Can into DM, and Delph as a CM. Not that I think Delph is a bad player, but selling Lucas makes no sense to me now.

Summer could be forgivable, but now is not. We need every player available who gives us a chance of winning, and selling Lucas does not go along with this.

Also, we need less Delphs, Allens, and Jordan Hendersons right now, and more established, game changing midfielders. We have to compliment the promising youth in Hendo and Can with more experienced players now, and find a balance in the squad. Removing Lucas even further throws out this balance.

Pjanic we were linked with, and I like that idea, but obviously does little for reinforcing the defensive aspect of our midfield, but its a heck of a lot more inspiring than signing Fabian Delph.

For the first time in years I haven't been able to follow much football this season, so I'm a little out of touch with other teams and in form players across Europe, etc, but for a DM to replace Lucas as the main holding midfielder in our side (assuming Can is not yet ready to do so, which he's not), we can surely come up with better than Aston Villa's Fabian Delph.

Knex. wrote: »
    a DM to replace Lucas as the main holding midfielder in our side (assuming Can is not yet ready to do so, which he's not), we can surely come up with better than Aston Villa's Fabian Delph.

Personally I think Can could do it and is better than both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can is quickly turning into the Swiss army knife of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Any Will Hughes rumours yet?

Also BBC's gossip column mentioned possibility of Arbeloa, would welcome that. Manquillo hasn't been great

I definitely believe that he can, in time. Even now, I'm happy for him to play a share of games there.

What I don't want to see, nor do I believe will happen, is a just turned 21 year old Can, being relied upon to start 40+ games for us as our main defensive anchor.

Not yet. Plus, I also think it takes a little from his natural game which sees him driving forward with the ball a lot. This is something I love about him, so I would like to see us pair him alongside another disciplined CM who will give him some license to do this.

Mascherano used to do it a little, actually, when Alonso played alongisde him, although I definitely feel Can could be more effective at it than Masch was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »

No, but im glad it is now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The man with hair so good he doesn't need tattoo sleeves to play for Liverpool is 21 today.

926775_241795379352980_817033611_a.jpg

So unfair to an auld balding lad like me :(

Tuesday evenings are bingo night here, so join myself and Sir Gallagher for spot prizes and easily chewable nibbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Are there any 24/25 year old Macherano's floating about!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

brevity wrote: »
    Are there any 24/25 year old Macherano's floating about!?

No but the 30 year old Mascherano will do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can is quickly turning into the Swiss army knife of the team.

So, like a Can opener?? :D

gafferino wrote: »
    No but the 30 year old Mascherano will do nicely.

Absolutely!

I don't understand the Delph thing. We are putting average players in the way of progessing youngsters like Rossiter, Williams and Phillips. Allen has already proven that if you are not GREAT at one thing (Lucas-Defensive, Hendo-Energy & Drive, Stevie-Attacking transition), then you will not keep your place.

Delph may be available cheap, which is great, but I'd rather we gave those games to Allen, Can or Rossiter.

We are treading water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

x43r0 wrote: »

Can't see it happening with his age and what would be high wages.

Can't see it happening with his age and what would be high wages.

Plus, it's the Express, who are even below the Metro and TribalFootball when it comes to transfer rumours...

Arbeloa has another 2 years or so of solid top level football in him, can cover both flanks and would bring a huge amount of experience and influence to the squad.

Obv FSG would never dream of signing him so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

“When I saw that we signed two full-backs, I immediately thought ‘I need to up my game now’,” he said.

“I know I need to consistently do well if I’m to get in the team and then stay there.

“I want to keep developing as a footballer. That’s why not being available has been so frustrating. But competition for places doesn’t bother me. I’m always up for the fight.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/jon-flanagan-competition-lfc-not-8435839?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arbeloa has another 2 years or so of solid top level football in him, can cover both flanks and would bring a huge amount of experience and influence to the squad.

Obv FSG would never dream of signing him so. :(
    He is a shoadow of the player he used to be in the rare games he does get at Real.
    But still would be a decent experienced player to have in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No talk of forum favourite Yann M'vila yet?

Carlton Cole available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arbeloa for 2 years at 60-90k a week?

no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Aston Villa have not scored for four games. Have scored 1 goal in their last 6 league games and 11 goals in 21 games.

I'm getting a bad feeling about the game.

Its like Palace. One win in 10 games and that win was against us.

Leicester should have destroyed Villa last weekend. This should be a game made for Balotelli to get some goals.

Vlaar is injured and Clark suspended, Villa have a makeshift defence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Carlton Cole available?

Liverpool sign Bent.

liverpool-sign-bent-joke.jpg?itok=nbo7OuzE

SlickRic wrote: »
    Arbeloa for 2 years at 60-90k a week?

no brainer.

By no brainer, I assume you mean a good move - but that's a lot of money to spend on a player who will stunt the progress of our 4 young RBs - Flanagan, Manquillo, Wisdom and McLaughlin.

Yes, he is better than all of them, but in 12 months, we'll be discussing RB again. Why not manage this season as-is and work with the 4 above options from next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dickerty wrote: »
    By no brainer, I assume you mean a good move - but that's a lot of money to spend on a player who will stunt the progress of our 4 young RBs - Flanagan, Manquillo, Wisdom and McLaughlin.

Yes, he is better than all of them, but in 12 months, we'll be discussing RB again. Why not manage this season as-is and work with the 4 above options from next season?

why can Flanagan, Wisdom et al not improve and ultimately usurp Arbeloa within a year 12 months?

a better LB/RB at the club can only be good for those that are already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No way should we sign Arbeloa.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He is a shoadow of the player he used to be in the rare games he does get at Real.
    But still would be a decent experienced player to have in the dressing room.

Where do perceptions like this take hold? :confused: He's played 20 games already this campaign. He's doing just fine anytime I've seen him play.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Aston Villa have not scored for four games. Have scored 1 goal in their last 6 league games and 11 goals in 21 games.

I'm getting a bad feeling about the game.

Its like Palace. One win in 10 games and that win was against us.

Leicester should have destroyed Villa last weekend. This should be a game made for Balotelli to get some goals.

Vlaar is injured and Clark suspended, Villa have a makeshift defence.

:cough: MOCKERS!!! :cough:

SlickRic wrote: »
    why can Flanagan, Wisdom et al not improve and ultimately usurp Arbeloa within a year 12 months.

a better LB/RB at the club can only be good for those that are already there.

Is 60/90K a week for a 32 year old not a bit rich to replace him in 6/12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is 60/90K a week for a 32 year old not a bit rich to replace him in 6/12 months?

No not really when you take into account he will be playing every week and the young players you named Flanagan, Manquillo, Wisdom and McLaughlin will be training and learning from him for a year.

We saw how much players like Sterling & Henderson grew last season playing alongside Suarez.

The team and squad needs experienced players to help all the young players we have in the squad grow.

The team and squad needs experienced players to help all the young players we have in the squad grow.

Shouldn't that be Johnson's job? Or have we given up on him already?

I don't think Arbeloa, as his age and with his type of game, will be a natural fit for Rodgers, who is currenly using Markovic as a wing back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Whatever happened to your man Belhanda that Kess was always banging on about? Was he a little more Stephen Defour and a little less Hazard.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If this 3 at the back stuff is more than just a temporary thing, Arbeloa will not suit the system at all. If we revert to proper full backs though then even at 32 he is worth bringing in I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

"The £10m signing has scored twice in 33 Liverpool appearances"

And yet people still defend him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Whatever happened to your man Belhanda that Kess was always banging on about? Was he a little more Stephen Defour and a little less Hazard.

Speaking of Kess. I heard he was off to China of something but no posts from him in months ?

• Advertisement

"The £10m signing has scored twice in 33 Liverpool appearances"

And yet people still defend him...

If you're honest, you'll concede he has never had a proper run in the side to get going for Liverpool.

They loved him at Sunderland. Granted his goals to games ratio there was average but he scored big goals in big games.

He probably won't set the world alight but, at the least, he will be a handy squad player. I like his attitude too, he's a fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you're honest, you'll concede he has never had a proper run in the side to get going for Liverpool.

They loved him at Sunderland. Granted his goals to games ratio there was average but he scored big goals in big games.

He probably won't set the world alight but, at the least, he will be a handy squad player. I like his attitude too, he's a fighter.

He won't be a handy squad player though, as you've just said, he'll need a run of games in order for him to get goals, and squad players don't play weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I see on the Echo website also that Suso has passed his medical ahead of signing a 4 year deal with Milan. I just know we're going to regret letting him go but I suppose there are so many ahead of him he couldn't get a chance. Should have got more games in the last 2 seasons though.

I can see him going back to Spain in a couple of years for about 10 million or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

J Mysterio wrote: »

A proper run? That's all I see him do....running into space, which people here find fantastic. Problem is the ball often doesn't get to him and his finishing is poor.

I have seen enough of him to see he's not good enough and a few goals at Sunderland does not change that.
    Even last Saturday he was awful.

Colemania wrote: »
    I see on the Echo website also that Suso has passed his medical ahead of signing a 4 year deal with Milan. I just know we're going to regret letting him go but I suppose there are so many ahead of him he couldn't get a chance. Should have got more games in the last 2 seasons though.

I can see him going back to Spain in a couple of years for about 10 million or so

To be fair if he'll be leaving Italy to go to Spain at 23 half way through a 4 year contract for €10/€15 million we won't regret it too much from a player impact point of view.

Can't offer him gametime so best of luck Suso.

Colemania wrote: »

Disaster. Surely he should be subbed on or used instead of Coutinho on occasion? He's been impressive every time i've seen him play, clever player, eye for a pass, scores goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shouldn't that be Johnson's job? Or have we given up on him already?

I don't think Arbeloa, as his age and with his type of game, will be a natural fit for Rodgers, who is currenly using Markovic as a wing back!

Johnson is leaving is he not?

Flanagan is out of contract as well and there has been no signs of him being offered one. (Very Strange)

Manquillo could do with some like Arbeloa ahead of him and to learn from.

Wisdom might be let leave ( That's just a gut feeling, Hope I am wrong)

McLaughlin probably won't be called up into the first team squad for a while.

If we revert to 4 at the back Arbeloa really would be great to have back and the likelyhood that we do revert back to a 4 next season is pretty strong I would think.

I want Flanagan back in at RB/ RWB ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Suso isnt good enough, if he was he would have made the progression by now. Pacheco was the same. Constantly raved about in the reserves, under age teams but when it came to it he couldnt take the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Playing for dynamo Kiev last I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was firmly in the "give borini a chance camp" but I've seen enough of him now to know he will never be good enough and its time to sell him.

Get back what you paid for him and put it towards a goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement