Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Of those 3, Balotelli > Borini >>> Lambert.

IMO of course. The above goes for 2 up top with Sturridge if that's the way we decide to go when he comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Glad to see some people are coming round to the fact that Borini offers more than the other two.
    I got laughed at during the weekend game for saying that Borini fits best into the team with what he offers.
    Too many people basing things on reputation (which is crazy because for me Balotelli has always offered litte) and not watching these players when they're on the pitch.

Ultimately it's both a fatuous and facile argument - which of our two non-scoring strikers should we play? It needs to be addressed this month and if we don't/can't we won't be getting fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

mosstin wrote: »
    Ultimately it's both a fatuous and facile argument - which of our two non-scoring strikers should we play? It needs to be addressed this month and if we don't/can't we won't be getting fourth.

True. Borini is the best option of a bad bunch. In a perfect world I'd hope we'd dump Balotellli and get somebody in who is more mobile and willing to work.
    If we don't get a proper forward in during this transfer window we're going to have serious problems getting goals.

I know people are excited about Sturridge returning (I am too), but with his fitness problems, it's not beyond reasoning that he might get injured again.
    If we're stuck with a choice of the current three for the rest of the season we're in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Borini can't score, however his movement does create space for our other attackers, but once some manager realises that there is no need to mark him at all because he can't score he's useless.

Balotelli can't score, but he's good at holding up the ball and winning free kicks, unfortunately he proceeds to kick said free kicks at the wall every time so he's useless.

We need someone not useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The fact theres even a debate about Borini/Balotelli is testament to how awful our recruitment plan was pre and post Suarez.

Our 2nd best option up front is on holiday in Jamaica, says it all tbh for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,673 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Borini can't score, however his movement does create space for our other attackers, but once some manager realises that there is no need to mark him at all because he can't score he's useless.

Balotelli can't score, but he's good at holding up the ball and winning free kicks, unfortunately he proceeds to kick said free kicks at the wall every time so he's useless.

Borini , creating space for sterling , stevie , coutinio., markovic is still alot better than balotelli shooting from 40yds snd hitting a crow
    However when sturrige is back ( and on form) borini could have alot to offer.
    And he isnt THAT bad at scoring , just not brilliant at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Turtyturd wrote: »

Problem is, our whole style of play is based on speed, which he doesn't have much of.
    How static he is slows down attacks, which allows opposition defences to regroup and then we're trying to attack against a wall of 7/8 defenders, which is completely against Rodger's preferred style of play.
    He's a round peg in a square hole, he's never going to fit into the team because he's too slow. Lambert's even slower and he just looks lost when playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Problem is, our whole style of play is based on speed, which he doesn't have much of.
    How static he is slows down attacks, which allows opposition defences to regroup and then we're trying to attack against a wall of 7/8 defenders, which is completely against Rodger's preferred style of play.
    He's a round peg in a square hole, he's never going to fit into the team because he's too slow. Lambert's even slower and he just looks lost when playing.

Rodgers signed him and therefore needs to find a bloody way for him to FIT into that square hole. Here's a thought, play a strike partner with him??? NO? Ok, lets just persist with him as a lone striker for 5 games.

Plenty of teams come to anfield and sit with 8/9 players behind the ball, in fact most do. It's not Ballotellis fault that it happens.

Rodgers came out within the last month and basically said he wasn't suited to our style of play, fair enough, so basically HE made a mistake thinking he could get the best out of him. So we are just to leave him on the bench to rot for the season? There's worse strikers in the league bagging a few goals lads. It's not all about pace and counter attacking. Welbeck has goals FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just realised Arsenal are away to City next - Christ, a win against Villa and we could very well find ourselves only a point behind them!

• Advertisement

Is Sterling back this weekend?

Also, has he signed a contract yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is Sterling back this weekend?

Also, has he signed a contract yet?

Yes,

and nothing yet.

Twitter rumours has Sturridge back for the Chelsea match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just realised Arsenal are away to City next - Christ, a win against Villa and we could very well find ourselves only a point behind them!

Don't do it to yourself, we always suck at villa. They will probably win and never win again this season knowing us.

klose wrote: »
    Don't do it to yourself, we always suck at villa. They will probably win and never win again this season knowing us.

Also, if thinking that way, after this weekend our next 6-8 PL fixtures are much more difficult than Arsenal's next 6-8 PL fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The telegraph are running a story linking us with Lavezzi for 8m.

The rumour was over double that during the summer and I really wasn't keen but for that price it's a good option.

Presumably it'd be dependant on selling someone else though, if there's even the slightest bit of truth to the story in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gbear wrote: »
    The telegraph are running a story linking us with Lavezzi for 8m.

The rumour was over double that during the summer and I really wasn't keen but for that price it's a good option.

Presumably it'd be dependant on selling someone else though, if there's even the slightest bit of truth to the story in the first place.

I still prefer a forward who scores more than 1 in 4/5 it's not better than what we have at the moment really and he would be on big wages.

We really should be looking for a 1 in 3 striker who can become a 1 in 2 striker.

• Advertisement

I still prefer a forward who scores more than 1 in 4/5 it's not better than what we have at the moment really and he would be on big wages.

We really should be looking for a 1 in 3 striker who can become a 1 in 2 striker.

That would depend whether the plan is to play 1 or 2 up front going forward.

As things stand we have 3 strikers in the squad that don't play.
    Origi can fill in on the wing as well so he mightn't be playing in a front 2 all the time.

It's doubtful we're getting anyone of top quality in during this window - it's going to be freebies or dipping into the bargain bin. But getting in a player like Lavezzi wouldn't preclude signing another forward in the summer, so long as those not pulling their weight are moved on.

Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Origi, Sturridge, Markovic, Ibe isn't a huge number of options for 4 positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    5starpool wrote: »
    Also, if thinking that way, after this weekend our next 6-8 PL fixtures are much more difficult than Arsenal's next 6-8 PL fixtures.

The next 6-8 weeks all involve us playing rivals for top 4/top6, and Everton. The other teams around us are all playing each other too, for example Arsenal have City & Spurs. West Ham v Southampton etc.

It's actually a massive 2 months for us and all our fixtures up until the end of February are very big, it's why a win at Villa is vital. Build up some confidence going into the cup game & derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gbear wrote: »
    That would depend whether the plan is to play 1 or 2 up front going forward.

As things stand we have 3 strikers in the squad that don't play.
    Origi can fill in on the wing as well so he mightn't be playing in a front 2 all the time.

It's doubtful we're getting anyone of top quality in during this window - it's going to be freebies or dipping into the bargain bin. But getting in a player like Lavezzi wouldn't preclude signing another forward in the summer, so long as those not pulling their weight are moved on.

Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Origi, Sturridge, Markovic, Ibe isn't a huge number of options for 4 positions.

Problem there i have is that you only have 2 recognised strikers in Sturridge and Origi. With Sturridges injury record a 3rd option is vital IMO

slingerz wrote: »
    Problem there i have is that you only have 2 recognised strikers in Sturridge and Origi. With Sturridges injury record a 3rd option is vital IMO

How much of our budget can we afford to spend on player that would only play if two others in his position aren't available?

Lambert doesn't seem to have worked because he just doesn't fit, but someone like that might work - an older striker out of contract elsewhere or available for small money, like Atletico picking up David Villa for €5m last season.

Also, the right sort of wide forward would be one that can fill in up front in a pinch - hopefully Sterling improves in that regard as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

slingerz wrote: »

I think we have to consider Sterling as a striker now. He will play behind or either side of Sturridge when both fit, and will be expected to come up with goals far more than Coutinho or Lallana...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think we have to consider Sterling as a striker now. He will play behind or either side of Sturridge when both fit, and will be expected to come up with goals far more than Coutinho or Lallana...

Liverpool: making strikers wingers and wingers strikers since 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Kuyt ended up being a better overall player and getting a World Cup run by us sticking him out on the right (never would have got in that WC squad as a striker)

And Henri's conversion from Winger to Striker worked out ok.

I refuse to believe this experiment will work out any other way

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He has all the attributes of a great striker - huge pace, a reliable finisher, runs the line well, excellent in the 1-2-1. He has many of Suarez's attributes, if you are being honest. If he keeps working on his finishing, he could be another Owen, they have a LOT in common...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Dickerty wrote: »
    He has all the attributes of a great striker - huge pace, a reliable finisher, runs the line well, excellent in the 1-2-1. He has many of Suarez's attributes, if you are being honest. If he keeps working on his finishing, he could be another Owen, they have a LOT in common...

I agree with most of the post but finishing is probably the worst part of his game. It has been all the way through the youth ranks to the first team. I know he has apparently been putting in extra training recently to improve it.

Edit - I also think he has very little in common with Owen.

I agree with most of the post but finishing is probably the worst part of his game. It has been all the way through the youth ranks to the first team. I know he has apparently been putting in extra training recently to improve it.

Edit - I also think he has very little in common with Owen.

I agree with this. However, the good news is that he is just 20 so has plenty of time to improve here as very few top attackers are very prolific at that age. The sooner we get him tied down to a new 5 year deal the better. At the very least it'd mean we get a better price for him if we are pressured into selling him in the next year or two.

I'm not saying it won't work out, I'm just saying that since Emile Heskey we seem to have had a fascination as a club at getting wingers / strikers on the pitch in roles other than their natural position. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We even played Andy Carroll as a striker when he was clearly a center back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I miss Emile :(

Djimi too, he was a striker. That finish against Burnley(?) was godlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

5starpool wrote: »
    I agree with this. However, the good news is that he is just 20 so has plenty of time to improve here as very few top attackers are very prolific at that age. The sooner we get him tied down to a new 5 year deal the better. At the very least it'd mean we get a better price for him if we are pressured into selling him in the next year or two.

Most would show some ability to score regularly through youth ranks though. Henry and Ronaldo are two obvious exceptions in that they were converted quite late and turned out amazing. The one worry I'd have about Sterling is that he seems to lack really shot power. That might come with age though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lavezzi is clearly not really needed - I'd be happy to bet that Markovic would add more goals over 12 months but for 8 million I'd not be opposed to him esp if Origi was brought back. Also Enrique out seems to be gathering some steam.

• Advertisement

Lavezzi does suits our system as two of his best features are his pace and work rate. At 8mill I'd take him in a heart beat.

Lavezzi would start imo

Although wasn't he the player that threw the water over his coach at the world cup in a dismissing fashion and it didn't look like banter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

He'd certainly give us more options.

I wouldn't say he'd be a definite starter as I haven't seen him in a while but I remember liking the look of him.

Right now I think Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge is our best front 3 but Lavezzi could definitely get in there and rotate depending on who's on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that we could end up buying no-one this month?

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

jasonb wrote: »
    Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that we could end up buying no-one this month?

J.
    I don't think so either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Kunkka wrote: »
    Although wasn't he the player that threw the water over his coach at the world cup in a dismissing fashion and it didn't look like banter?

If he could couple that with a despicable attitude on the pitch in regards to diving and general play-acting, we should definitely go for him.
    Always love having a player that's hated, a real heel.

J.

Didn't Rodgers suggest that a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

J.

Because the manager has pretty much said so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lavezzi is a shadow of the player he was, admitted he has fallen out of love with the game and is contemplating quitting.

Saying that for £8m at 29 years old, he is well worth a punt. Has a pretty consistent average of 10 goals and 10 assists a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2909725/Liverpool-set-revenue-surge-25m-year-Anfield-expansion.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Liverpool have revealed they expect their income to surge by £25m a year when their expanded main stand opens next year. Around £20m of that cash will come from 8,500 extra seats, including 4,500 corporate seats.

‘The club wants the return on investment as quickly as makes sense. Liverpool has to be sustainable. We have formulated a model that gives a fast return of the capital expenditure over five to six years, but that will also allow the club to enjoy some benefits from the expansion even before that time. Beyond the five or six years, we will of course really see more revenues on the bottom line.’

Liverpool’s American owners Fenway Sports Group, who also own US baseball team Boston Red Sox and successfully modernised their Fenway Park Stadium, are effectively lending Liverpool the stadium expansion money in the form of an interest-free loan, bypassing the need to meet crippling bank charges.

The £5m-a-year potential income in naming rights is an estimate floated by experts in that field. Ayre says: ‘The commercial department is in talks with various people. We didn’t think that looking for a naming rights deal on a stadium as iconic as Anfield made sense, but there are real value and benefits to be had around a naming rights deal on the new stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »

Saying that for £8m at 29 years old, he is well worth a punt. Has a pretty consistent average of 10 goals and 10 assists a season.

He has never gotten both 10 goals and 10 assists in a season :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezequiel_Lavezzi#Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gafferino wrote: »
    Liverpool have revealed they expect their income to surge by £25m a year when their expanded main stand opens next year. Around £20m of that cash will come from 8,500 extra seats, including 4,500 corporate seats.

At least then we'll be able to afford one Lovren-esqe signing per season

rob316 wrote: »
    Lavezzi is a shadow of the player he was, admitted he has fallen out of love with the game and is contemplating quitting.

2 goal 3 assists this season not really better than anything we have this season.

I like him but I think we have enough of the same type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

gafferino wrote: »
    Because the manager has pretty much said so.

Ah, that's why! :) This is why I hate the transfer window, we'll spend days discussing players here and in the end we'll get no-one, and we'll have another meltdown!

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lavezzi has started 8 league games, playing 670 minutes. So he isn't exactly being over-extended this season, which is a good thing of course if he does join.

Defoe joins Sunderland so we can stop "worrying" about him! ;)

x43r0 wrote: »
    He has never gotten both 10 goals and 10 assists in a season :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezequiel_Lavezzi#Club
    12 goals and 10 assists last season, 11 goals and 8 assists the previous. :confused:

Just saying roughly you can get about 10 goals and 10 assists a season from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Woah, these Lavezzi rumours just blew up everywhere, and if its for the price quoted its a steal....

If we are going to PSG can we also try for Cabaye then.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Woah, these Lavezzi rumours just blew up everywhere, and if its for the price quoted its a steal....

Its the mirror and the ever "reliable" Daily Express so wouldn't get too excited :rolleyes:
    It would go with Rodgers saying we need ready made players to come in though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement