Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What is everyone having for tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Dickerty wrote: »
    Didn't Rodgers suggest that a few weeks ago?

Didn't he also say he wasn't signing Balotelli in the summer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So we are just about halfway through the transfer window and haven't bought a goalkeeper.

The dropping of Mignolet really is looking stranger and stranger the longer it goes without a keeper coming in.

So much for the idea that he was dropped because we had a keeper lined up to come straight in when the transfer window opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

What is everyone having for tea?

I'm having Lyons tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I'd happily swap Lavezzi for Mario, wonder would PSG buy that!

So we are just about halfway through the transfer window and haven't bought a goalkeeper.

The dropping of Mignolet really is looking stranger and stranger the longer it goes without a keeper coming in.

So much for the idea that he was dropped because we had a keeper lined up to come straight in when the transfer window opened.

Whose idea was that?

Certainly didn't come from the club.

If Jan ends and we have no new keeper it's whinging time, until then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Very worrying to be honest, i still can't believe he started Jones against United. Barmy stuff.
    I'd happily swap Lavezzi for Mario, wonder would PSG buy that!

That'd be terrible business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »
    12 goals and 10 assists last season, 11 goals and 8 assists the previous. :confused:

Just saying roughly you can get about 10 goals and 10 assists a season from him

Sorry, my bad - I was only looking at stats in the league

gafferino wrote: »

Liverpool’s American owners Fenway Sports Group, who also own US baseball team Boston Red Sox and successfully modernised their Fenway Park Stadium, are effectively lending Liverpool the stadium expansion money in the form of an interest-free loan, bypassing the need to meet crippling bank charges.

The £5m-a-year potential income in naming rights is an estimate floated by experts in that field. Ayre says: ‘The commercial department is in talks with various people. We didn’t think that looking for a naming rights deal on a stadium as iconic as Anfield made sense, but there are real value and benefits to be had around a naming rights deal on the new stand.

Longterm things aren't looking too bad to be fair, can't see FSG selling up anytime soon.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, the keeper thing made zero sense unless we were definitely bringing in a new keeper this window, which I'd now be very surprised at.

Will Jones go back into the team again when fit? You'd assume so given that nothing else has changed really. Bizarre stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm probably wrong, but I'd assume that when Jones is fit he'll stick with Mignolet, and he'll say that being dropped and having time to work on 'things' will have done Mignolet the world of good. Assuming of course Mignolet doesn't get worse between now and then...

J.

That'd be terrible business.

For PSG, yeah.

I think a fit Sturridge will be seen as almost a new signing. Unless he breaks down before season end I'd say there's little chance anyone will come in. If so it's a massive risk.

A goalkeeper simply has to come in. Not doing so would be incompetent. There's some huge games coming up and I don't trust Mignolet these days to go error free for too long.

If we have one signing to make please make it a
    keeper, providing Sturridge doesn't shatter again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gbear wrote: »
    The telegraph are running a story linking us with Lavezzi for 8m.

The rumour was over double that during the summer and I really wasn't keen but for that price it's a good option.

Presumably it'd be dependant on selling someone else though, if there's even the slightest bit of truth to the story in the first place.

Maybe we.can just give them Lovren

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think a fit Sturridge will be seen as almost a new signing. Unless he breaks down before season end I'd say there's little chance anyone will come in. If so it's a massive risk.

A goalkeeper simply has to come in. Not doing so would be incompetent. There's some huge games coming up and I don't trust Mignolet these days to go error free for too long.

If we have one signing to make please make it a
    keeper, providing Sturridge doesn't shatter again

I'd say keeper plus Mario or Borini leaving and someone coming in. Not sure how I feel if that someone is Origi, but it has to be someone who can chip in close to 10 goals in all competitions (cups included) by the end of the season. Can't play sturridge in all comps off the back of injury problems.

Serious question.

Is Origi better than Ballotelli?

I'm Ballotellis biggest critic but a youngster coming in instead of Ballotelli wouldn't make sense to me.

The whole Origi loan thing and now possibly paying extra money to get him back would be another fcuk up by the committee imo.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I'm having Lyons tea.

****s sake, thats only for hospitals. Proper Irishmen drink Barry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ****s sake, thats only for hospitals. Proper Irishmen drink Barry's.

No no no, Southerners drink Barry's - Dubs drink Lyons!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Serious question.

Is Origi better than Ballotelli?

I'm Ballotellis biggest critic but a youngster coming in instead of Ballotelli wouldn't make sense to me.

The whole Origi loan thing and now possibly paying extra money to get him back would be another fcuk up by the committee imo.

The problem with Ballotelli isn't down to quality - not wholly at any rate.

Origi is more likely to play than the other 3 options because he has pace (unlike Lambert), technical ability (unlike Borini) and workrate (unlike Balotelli).

It doesn't mean all our problems will be fixed. We'll still lack goals.

It should allow our other players to play their natural game though and give us a bit more direction up front - how effective it will be will depend on Origi's ability to deliver the end product his supporting cast would deserve.

• Advertisement

I live in Dublin (but from the west) and I've always been a Lyons drinker too.

Yeah, proper irishmen!

'Southerners' :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Every time I hear southerners I think of olde time south of America.

Gone-With-the-Wind-gone-with-the-wind-4368702-1024-768.jpg

What tea do you want missy?

Barry's. Only Barry's will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I think Lannisters, the Basta...ds

:pac:

T-K-O wrote: »
    I think Lannisters, the Basta...ds

Well technically they are from the West (Tywin was warden of the west).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

5starpool wrote: »
    I live in Dublin (but from the west) and I've always been a Lyons drinker too.

I was Lyons until I found out its made in Manchester.

I am not overly-patriotic when shopping but when the the taste is that similar...

noodler wrote: »

Sure it's all Kenyan to me...

For PSG, yeah.

Balotelli is worth more in today's market. You'd be losing out on a few million.

Augmerson wrote: »

She was gone of a bit of Ashley's and Rhett's as well, wha!!!! :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sure it's all Kenyan to me...

Here's a bit of irony for you, the tea in Kenya is brutal.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Here's a bit of irony for you, the tea in Kenya is brutal.

So the opposite of wine in France, where they keep tons of good stuff for themselves, whereas in Kenya, they have to sell all the good tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This thread is going down like the....

TEATANIC_POSTER_2.jpg

Deal%20with%20it2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We need a signing or something..... This is soooooooo boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Avid Lyons man here from the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Assuming we had to break even, here's the best (borderline) realistic window for me based on rumours I've heard so far:

Out:

Assaidi - £4.7m
    Borini - £13m
    Lambert - £2-3m

In:

Lacazette - £20m
    Jovetic on loan - Free
    ter Stegen/Cech on loan - Free

Ideally Lovren would be on his way but who would buy him? See also: Jones. I'd have Mignolet as a 2nd choice.

I reckon Balotelli is better than he's been able to show, and with an improved attack we would get a lot more out of him. I considered the mooted £7m for Lucas but frankly we won't improve on him this window for that money.

We've not been linked with Jovetic to my knowledge but either he or Dzeko are reportedly available depending on who you believe. I'd take either on loan.

I'd consider Luciano Vietto instead of Lacazette, but there would likely be work permit issues.

And if he's still the manager at QPR on deadline day I reckon good 'ol Harry would buy Johnson for £3-4m. We probably won't have time to spend it though, but Flanagan is coming back, and we're using various midfielders as wing-backs, so I reckon he'd be sold at that price.

Obviously there's a bigger clearout needed in the summer.

Am I alone in thinking Lovren will come good for us should he survive this, and the next window?

There's a useful defender there....somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

D'Agger wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking Lovren will come good for us should he survive this, and the next window?

Buy Schneiderlin and play him beside Lucas on front of the back 4 and Lovren will look a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Blatter wrote: »
    Buy Schneiderlin and play him beside Lucas on front of the back 4 and Lovren will look a lot better.

Might be a little flippant or ignorant of me to say but if a defender needs two defensive midfielders in front of him, can he really be any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I don't drink tea.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not quite sure on the stats, how many games has he played with Lucas in front of him?
    How many has he played with Gerrard in front of him?

I dont recall much time with a real DM in front of him, he is used to playing with 2 in front of him.
    Also, the chopping and changing of defensive formations in the first half of the season and personnel cant be easy to adjust to.

• Advertisement

Is there really? Anytime i've seen him he's been awful. Completely brainless. Perhaps that's why Lyon got rid, seemed to have found his level at Southampton last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Theres a reason he was really good at Southampton, I think he just needs time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Vanolder wrote: »
    I don't drink tea.

Ive read some controversial s*** posted in here but man .. there is a line you dont cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Lavezzi would be a great signing. Im amazed people are scoffing at the idea. Hes basically a suarez lite in terms of playing style, though obviously nowhere near as good. Also, people talking about him scoring ten goals a season as though its not enough??? How many ten goal a season players have we got at the moment?

He is definately a good defender, last year proved that, he is just playing with zero confidence thanks to a poor start by the team overall.

There is definately something in the argument that having Stevie in front of him, instead of Lucas, didn't help...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not quite sure on the stats, how many games has he played with Lucas in front of him?
    How many has he played with Gerrard in front of him?

I dont recall much time with a real DM in front of him, he is used to playing with 2 in front of him.
    Also, the chopping and changing of defensive formations in the first half of the season and personnel cant be easy to adjust to.
    Yeah true, Lucas has been a stabilizing influence in the squad lately, Sahko's been impressive too, you'd imagine that playing a back 3 of Skrtel - Lovren - Sahko would work well enough.

Carragher pointed out that his weakness is cutting out danger on the flanks and getting across - he likes to stay central, so perhaps playing him in the middle and letting Sahko, Skrtel command the flanks would see him improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Assuming we had to break even, here's the best (borderline) realistic window for me based on rumours I've heard so far:

Out:

Assaidi - £4.7m
    Borini - £13m
    Lambert - £2-3m

In:

Lacazette - £20m
    Jovetic on loan - Free
    ter Stegen/Cech on loan - Free

Lacazette is part of a title push for Lyon. They wouldn't want to let him go and I doubt he'd want to leave.
    Also, given the season he's having, I'd say he'd prefer to keep his options open and move to a better team than us in the summer.

Also, 20m is optimistic to say the least.

Is there really? Anytime i've seen him he's been awful. Completely brainless. Perhaps that's why Lyon got rid, seemed to have found his level at Southampton last year.

Lyon sold cause they got £8.5M, not bad for a CB.
    And if his level is Southampton, who came 8th and proved they are a top-half team, then why is he not good enough?

You have to look harder than some unconvincing performances in an underperforming team...

noodler wrote: »

I am not overly-patriotic when shopping but when the the taste is that similar...

Taste... Similar?!?!

• Advertisement

This season, barring the Spurs game he's been poor nearly every time I've seen him, but for Southampton last year & any time I've seen him for Croatia he's seemed very solid and calm on the ball.
    He is definately a good defender, last year proved that, he is just playing with zero confidence thanks to a poor start by the team overall.

There is definately something in the argument that having Stevie in front of him, instead of Lucas, didn't help...

I think this is part of it, he started somewhat well, made a few mistakes and seemed to have shot his confidence completely. I think some time out of the limelight/starting 11 might have helped him settle and get back on track.

I do hope we see him push on because what we know for now is that he is capable of a lot, lot more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement