Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jose Fonte was/is the brains of Sotons back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Taste... Similar?!?!

Once sugar and milk are added yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Look at you putting two and two together Harry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd welcome Lavezzi.

Let's face it though, he doesn't fit the club's profile if any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Gbear wrote: »
    Lacazette is part of a title push for Lyon. They wouldn't want to let him go and I doubt he'd want to leave.
    Also, given the season he's having, I'd say he'd prefer to keep his options open and move to a better team than us in the summer.

Also, 20m is optimistic to say the least.

That's around €25m. He's valued at €20m on Transfermarkt, and at £25m by the BBC last week. Perhaps there's even more of a premium given that it's January but I thought £20 would be a reasonable price for him. Like I said, I'm only going for borderline realism :)

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd welcome Lavezzi.

Let's face it though, he doesn't fit the club's profile if any way, shape or form.
    Amirite in saying Lavezzi would be a better version of Coutihno? i.e. creative, able to slip a pass, well able to dribble and with better finishing

I think it depends on wages but for the price being touted then I think he would fit into the FSG profile. I'm assuming he'd be commanding 100k plus though which is the sticking point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

B0IYNu6IEAAsaIP.jpg

New kits, not confirmed though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Next season's kits apparently. The home one looks less pukey than the image that was floating around before Christmas.

Liverpool-2015-2016-Kit.JPG

Liverpool-15-16-New-Balance-Kits.jpg

Edit: Damn you Augmerson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sappy404 wrote: »
    And if he's still the manager at QPR on deadline day I reckon good 'ol Harry would buy Johnson for £3-4m.
    Even he isn't dumb enough to spend that money on a player who will be free in 6 months time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5starpool wrote: »
    Next season's kits apparently. The home one looks less pukey than the image that was floating around before Christmas.

Liverpool-2015-2016-Kit.JPG

Liverpool-15-16-New-Balance-Kits.jpg

Edit: Damn you Augmerson.

That's the same picture I saw of the new home kit previously. There are legit pics of actual shirts for the home strip and the 2 away strips as well, which suggests they're real. Which is a shame, because they're awful.

• Advertisement

Those shirts are shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why does anyone give a **** about the shirts? Seriously? Do you all have Stevie G bedspreads or something? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why does anyone give a **** about the shirts? Seriously? Do you all have Stevie G bedspreads or something? :p

liverpool-bedding--steven-gerrard-single-duvet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think ill give buying that shirt a miss.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I happen to find the "Stevie G" bedspread surprisingly comfortable.:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lavezzi has a certain level of aggression about him, not in the bookable kind, but one who is willing to chase everything down, not give up on losing a ball.
    This is something we lack in the final third. We've pace with Sterling, grace with Coutinho, a bit of everything from Sturridge...somelike like Lavezzi to muck in woud add an extra dimension to our attack. Oh yeah, we also have Mario who adds, erm, comedy?
    Suarez had it for us, Tevez had it for City and Utd, there is a bit of it about that Chilean lad at QPR....even Sanchez has it.
    The agression thing is part of what has made Gerrard the player he is. We need a bit more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He is. Until we buy him and find out that he's not. We're doing some sort of Russian doll experiment with the Soton back line.

1) It's better than talking about tea
    2) Given their sales will impact on club revenue and potentially how much money we spend, shirts are suprisingly important to a club - nice kits are good news
    3) It's what your team is wearing for the year and before I get this "You should be supporting them regardless of the jersey" - I will, I'd just prefer to see them winning* in a cool looking jersey

* Winning may not occur often
    That's just off the top of my head Har
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Think ill give buying that shirt a miss.....

Ditto, home kit looks horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Augmerson wrote: »

That's still where Jay Spearing sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Lacazette is part of a title push for Lyon. They wouldn't want to let him go and I doubt he'd want to leave.
    Also, given the season he's having, I'd say he'd prefer to keep his options open and move to a better team than us in the summer.

Also, 20m is optimistic to say the least.

13m for Borini is laughable too, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Those shirts look much nicer than the current batch. I hope it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How can a simple red t-shirt with a bit of writing on it be awful, give over the faux outrage boys.

Now THIS is a poxy jersey.

9.jpg

There's argument to be made for Lyons and Barrys. Both are a great cup.

However sugar in tea? GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Augmerson wrote: »

That duvet looks like it could slip off at any minute

rarnes1 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rarnes1 wrote: »

"Sugar in your tea, Bob?"

"No thanks, sure I'm sweet enough!"

Uttered by gobshites everywhere, throughout this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Son of former Liverpool manager Roy Evans quits job rather than sell The S*n products
    The son of former Liverpool FC manager Roy Evans quit his job rather than having to sell products attached to The S*n.

Stephen Evans, a sales executive working across the north west, returned to work earlier this month after time off through ill health to find out S*n Motors, a website affiliated to the newspaper reviled and boycotted on Merseyside and beyond ever since its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster, was now in partnership with his employer Motors.co.uk , meaning he would be expected to push S*n-branded merchandise and use their logo in presentations.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/son-former-liverpool-manager-roy-8445449

Knex. wrote: »

Uttered by gobshites everywhere, up and down this country.

Or

"No, I'm a sour b@stard "

The president of the Roma James Pallotta..

Google translate used.
    " Finally, the newspapers have stopped on Strootman bother, because the same Strootman has recently said he likes Italy and has a 5 year contract. Anyway, I was not going to sell it anyway. With Pjanic and Liverpool is the same: we have 4-year contract with Miralem and we love him. We want to have the best team possible, and it is the most important thing. We are men of business, however, and if someone comes in with a very high offer for a player, you have to listen. You can not just say no. My idea of Strootman, for example, you do not sell it, but if someone comes along and offers a huge amount of money, you have to listen. You have to see what is best for everyone, not just for one person: that's how the world works . "

http://www.laroma24.it/news/interviste-as-roma/2015/01/pallotta-mai-avuto-intenzione-di-vendere-strootman-vogliamo-avere-la-migliore-squadra-possibil/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »

Uttered by gobshites everywhere, throughout this country.

Forget about your sugar, have a spoonful of me ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »
    Forget about your sugar, have a spoonful of me ;)

do-not-want-guy.jpg

One of the thankfully rare moments the thread has taken a turn for the erotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

13m for Borini is laughable too, to be fair.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28383413

• Advertisement

MR NINE wrote: »

We'd be lucky to get half that now to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's a great player but if we went for him it'd be difficult to figure out what our attack is supposed to look like.

Playing 3 in midfield when you have 1 player who's scored more than 10 PL goals in a season doesn't make much sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I don't think that fee is outrageous for Borini. It's just the market now with the increased TV revenue giving spending power to the smaller clubs. It's probably the same as a 6/7m signing a few seasons back. The market is just mental now. The reality is also that while he is not good enough at the very top level, he is a very good signing at a level below that. He is the type of striker that for a certain level of club he's about near the best they can buy.

He's a great player but if we went for him it'd be difficult to figure out what our attack is supposed to look like.

Playing 3 in midfield when you have 1 player who's scored more than 10 PL goals in a season doesn't make much sense to me.

Agreed.

Right now if there is going to be any players brought in they need to be a Goalkeeper and an out and out Striker.

Wingforwards & attacking midfielders can wait till the summer if the manager wants to overhaul the team squad again thats the time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think that fee is outrageous for Borini. It's just the market now with the increased TV revenue giving spending power to the smaller clubs. It's probably the same as a 6/7m signing a few seasons back. The market is just mental now. The reality is also that while he is not good enough at the very top level, he is a very good signing at a level below that. He is the type of striker that for a certain level of club he's about near the best they can buy.

Borini isn't worth £6m in 2010 money. He's a turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Perhaps....but I think a lot of clubs are shying away from that sort of business. Why buy the top clubs hand me downs when you can loan them instead.

Sure they could spend 13 million on a premier league known quantity.....or they could take that 13 million and risk it on a foreign "unknown" player like a Ba, Cisse, Benteke, Bony, Pelle etc.

These type of players make their seasons and potentially double in value making them attractive punts. It doesn't always work of course......you could end up with a Brown Ideye. :p It's riskier sure......but you could potentially make a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini isn't worth £6m in 2010 money. He's a turkey.

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest...i think in a decent midtable team he'd do very well. He's unfortunately just not good enough for a top level team.

He's a facilitator, he'll bring out the best of the players around him, but doesn't have any particular 'elite' asset himself. Not especially fast, not especially good finisher, not especially strong - just an all rounder. And there's a place for that, just not at a top club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

13 million, regardless of inflation, regardless of what someone was going to pay last year, for a player who has scored 8, is it 8?? premiership goals in over 2 seasons is pretty close to the definition of madness for me. In his standout season for Sunderland he has 7, some of those penalties.

13m is laughable, it's based on being an Italian who has played for big name clubs.

Perhaps someone will pay it, but it's laughable.

Borini should have gone to Sunderland in hindsight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only thing more laughable than 13m for Borini is 16m for another Italian who scores the odd peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

13 million, regardless of inflation, regardless of what someone was going to pay last year, for a player who has scored 8, is it 8?? premiership goals in over 2 seasons is pretty close to the definition of madness for me. In his standout season for Sunderland he has 7, some of those penalties.

13m is laughable, it's based on being an Italian who has played for big name clubs.

Perhaps someone will pay it, but it's laughable.

He'll work his balls off for you. He'll win the ball high up the field and get the team goals, if not necessarily for himself. I'd say he's the strike partner every out and out striker wants.
    Again, not good enough for us, but he's the type of player who turns your other striker from an ineffective, isolated guy to a goalscorer. A Darren Bent for instance I think would be a much better player with Borini beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Hes really not as bad as people like to claim he is. He went on loan to sunderland last season and there were people telling us how **** he is coz he couldnt get a game for them. He subsequently won his place in the team, scored a decent amount of crucial goals, played a huge part in keeping them up, helped them to a cup final where he scored a great solo goal and left the club as a big fan favourite after just one season. He made such an impression that sunderland were willing to spend 14m on him, as were qpr, which would have been a major fee for either of those clubs to pay. I remember paully d giving him a glowing appraisal in which he made it clear he was upset to see him leave.

But no, ignore all that, claim he aint worth 6m 2010 money whatever the **** that means even though he quite clearly is worth more than that. Just coz you dont rate him doesnt mean he isnt valuable.

Borini kept Sunderland up, so in the context of the value of staying up, £13M might not be too dear at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He'll work his balls off for you. He'll win the ball high up the field and get the team goals, if not necessarily for himself. I'd say he's the strike partner every out and out striker wants.
    Again, not good enough for us, but he's the type of player who turns your other striker from an ineffective, isolated guy to a goalscorer. A Darren Bent for instance I think would be a much better player with Borini beside him.

Not to dissimilar to Shane Long in style, another secondary striker who gives his best in support play without really doing much in the scoring charts. If the going price for him is £12m then I have no issue with asking €13m for Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MR NINE wrote: »
    But no, ignore all that, claim he aint worth 6m 2010 money whatever the **** that means even though he quite clearly is worth more than that. Just coz you dont rate him doesnt mean he isnt valuable.

It's important to realise that we need very different things from a striker.

We seem to be trying to play with 1 versatile striker and a bucketful of supporting midfielders. That places huge demands on that 1 player. They basically need to be a fit Daniel Sturridge or the whole thing breaks down.

Borini is himself a support player.

He's a bit like Kuyt, who had the biggest impact at Liverpool by doing the dirty work up front, creating an outlet, scoring in huge games and stifling the opposition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement