Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

NoelJ wrote: »
    Would people not take Song? Happily have him over Lucas.

I would, he is probably more natural there and would have the instinct to be in position, as opposed to Lucas who is giving away silly free kicks and getting bookings chasing into position.
    He also would be looking up to play the ball forward as opposed to Lucas with alot of backwards and sideways passes.
    I think he would also be more effective than Lucas when moving into the opposition half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NoelJ wrote: »
    Would people not take Song? Happily have him over Lucas.

If we really want to be competing for the title/top 4, CL etc etc season in season out we really would need to have 2 players for each position so I would like to keep Lucas and add a player like Song to compete for the starting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd happily have Song and ride Allen out on a rail tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rob316 wrote: »
    Roma president comfirms our interest in Pjanic. Be a great signing and hopefully one we can do in the summer.

Source?

gafferino wrote: »
    Source?

I posted this yesterday.
    " Finally, the newspapers have stopped on Strootman bother, because the same Strootman has recently said he likes Italy and has a 5 year contract. Anyway, I was not going to sell it anyway. With Pjanic and Liverpool is the same: we have 4-year contract with Miralem and we love him. We want to have the best team possible, and it is the most important thing. We are men of business, however, and if someone comes in with a very high offer for a player, you have to listen. You can not just say no. My idea of Strootman, for example, you do not sell it, but if someone comes along and offers a huge amount of money, you have to listen. You have to see what is best for everyone, not just for one person: that's how the world works . "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd happily have Song and ride Allen out on a rail tbh.

Ya durty fecker

50356_323857250977_3316000_n.jpg

A good read on Lucas.

Lucas Leiva is Liverpool linchpin Brendan Rodgers wants to keep; Andy Hunter
    Roberto Mancini may not succeed in luring Lucas Leiva to Internazionale this month but his interest has accomplished the often thankless task of demonstrating the Brazilian’s importance to Liverpool. It is not only Steven Gerrard who has the capacity to create an alarming void in Brendan Rodgers’ midfield.

The former Manchester City manager wants to add Lucas to his ranks at San Siro following the January signings of Lukas Podolski and Xherdan Shaqiri, although, despite reports of a £7m bid, there has been no official approach to Liverpool from Internazionale so far. Rodgers will be standing in the way should one materialise. It is a surprising stance given his past treatment of the 28-year-old and now a necessity because of Lucas’s influence on Liverpool’s recovery from the malaise that had enveloped the club and manager merely seven weeks ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/15/lucas-leiva-liverpool-brendan-rodgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think a lot will depend on Lucas himself. If he really wants to go, it might be difficult to refuse him a transfer based on 1) His service to the club and 2) Rodgers' inconsistent use of him over the last 2.5 years.

He should do all he can to convince him to stay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Blatter wrote: »
    I think a lot will depend on Lucas himself. If he really wants to go, it might be difficult to refuse him a transfer based on 1) His service to the club and 2) Rodgers' inconsistent use of him over the last 2.5 years.

He shouldn't be allowed to move unless a replacement is sorted first.

We got stung that way with Suarez in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just have a terrible feeling that once Sturridge is back, and if we get someone like Lavezzi, Lucas will be benched.

Rodgers will go back to the diamond, with 2 up top, with Gerrard back to the quarterback position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just have a terrible feeling that once Sturridge is back, and if we get someone like Lavezzi, Lucas will be benched.

Rodgers will go back to the diamond, with 2 up top, with Gerrard back to the quarterback position.
    He could play behind Sturridge at the top of the diamond, Sterling/Coutihno/Lallana shipped to the wings then. Doubtful but a possibility nonetheless

That will be fine as long we score like we did last season :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We're getting £700,000 from the transfer of ince to hull city.
    We had a 35% sell on clause and the tribunal set blackpools fee at £2,000,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

They should buy us some pints. You know for putting up with all .. this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Instead of lavezzi what about getting Eto'o ?
    Everton are willing to listen to offers and it could be a free transfer with wages . Wouldn't be a bad thing . It means you could offload ballotelli or borini .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ibe has been recalled from his loan at Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Blatter wrote: »

Even if he wants to leave he can be made wait until the Summer, it's only four months until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ibe has been recalled from his loan at Derby.

This pleases me greatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jordon Ibe recalled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jordon Ibe recalled!

Not like you to be behind :)

Only 6 minutes :D

Just working out what this means for the front line - I reckon that at least one striker is being moved for sure now.

If this is true then Liverpool should be nice to Derby and send them Sheyi Ojo for the rest of the season with a promise that he'll stay there all next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think ibe would have been better off staying at derby tbh

Helllloooooooooooooo

2785__1554__461562550_10_513X307.jpg

1183__3552__461562398_10_513X307.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178168-brendan-s-update-on-divock-origi-future

Rodgers commented: "He's a player that will definitely be here next summer. Whether he'll be here or not in January is something that there has been discussion [about].

"But there is nothing to report on it. The agreement with Lille was for him to stay there. So we'll see how that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

This ends the Ibe recalled Quest

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »

Get them promotion and a year of premier league games and then recall him . That's how I would have worked it anyways .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not sure what to make of this. Surely he'll at best be a bit part player for us making a few sub appearances here and there? With Sturridge )hopefully back from injury in a couple of weeks, Markovic showing glimpses of form, Sterling available again, and Coutinho in very good form again, where is the room to play him? This is also ignoring Lallana who is rumoured to have an outside chance of making the bench this weekend.

Is it with the volume of games in mind? Hopefully it's not just so that he and a few more fringe players can be tried out in the EL. If so, we'll only have 2 more European games to worry about.

I like what I've seen of Ibe in that he has a direct pacy style, but he is still not polished enough and I think he would have benefited more from 20 more games with Derby than a few mins here and there with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jordon Ibe recalled!

Pretty much confirmation we haven't a penny to spend. Still better goal threat than Borini,Lambert and Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

klose wrote: »

How has he been genearlly for Derby?

i have only watched Derby a few times this season but he was very impressive i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lallana back in training already. Could even feature against Villa and if not the next game. Thought he would be out longer.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Also, I say some '2+2=431' talk earlier about Balotelli not being in the training pictures today and not injured that he might be in talks somewhere.

Daily Mail have tweaked the article to be a little less certain.

Rams forum is slightly annoyed at this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You didn't enjoy the style of football last season? You would rather grind out 1 nils with defensive midfielders creating a midfield stale mate? Give me last season any day of the week, its the only reason I am still hoping Bren succeeds, cos I like the style of ball he coaches. Its his only saving grace imo, that and the fact he is Irish and a good communicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Hopefully the Ibe story isn't true. The Daily Mail are the only ones reporting it.

garra wrote: »
    You didn't enjoy the style of football last season? You would rather grind out 1 nils with defensive midfielders creating a midfield stale mate? Give me last season any day of the week, its the only reason I am still hoping Bren succeeds, cos I like the style of ball he coaches. Its his only saving grace imo, that and the fact he is Irish and a good communicator.

Yes please. Solid base and consistency would always be my preferred approach. Build up from there. Remember, it isn't just about the EPL, at some point you want to go to Europe and beat people in that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Yes please. Solid base and consistency would always be my preferred approach. Build up from there. Remember, it isn't just about the EPL, at some point you want to go to Europe and beat people in that space.
    I'm a bit more greedy and want to see a team that can play both ways. Like chelsea at the start of this season. Both capable of choking a team out and playing insane attacking football(though admitedly that is very difficult to achieve)

Well I can see why you haven't taken to Rodgers then... he is the antithesis of your ideal manager. I take your point about having the ability to win one-off cup games using a solid system and the ensuing Cup runs being a benefit of that.
    But for me I want LFC to succeed but not at the cost of entertainment value. I suppose I love football as a creative sport and the Italian philosophy of the game is not my cup of tea at all.

I have to say last season was the best football I have this club play except for Rafas team at the back end of the 08 / 09 season they where formidable .
    I would love to see that type of football but right now the manager doesn't have the players to play like that because you need two 20 plus goal a season strikers !!! Liverpool have one in Danny and the rest are not great at all .

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-transfer-8446802

From presser:

Sterling back in LFC squad as expected and is 'refreshed'. Glen Johnson back in training too. Monitoring Gerrard and Lallana.

Sturridge back working but not ready.

Rodgers jokes he would be happy to be paid double for working with Mario Balotelli, as suggested by Mancini. Going nowhere in Jan says BR.

We go to Villa positive but respectful says BR. Sturridge in final stages of rehab

BR on Gerrard loan potential: I won't speculate on if he comes back. He's still a Liverpool player.

Lovren will prove to be an outstanding player says Brendan Rodgers. He will show what a top player he is.

BR: Lallana ahead of schedule. If doesn't make Villa, will be available for Chelsea.

Sometimes the very best players can play anywhere on the field says Rodgers in reference to good form of Emre Can at centre back.

BR: We'll know by the end of play tomorrow if Steven is available for the Villa game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well I can see why you haven't taken to Rodgers then... he is the antithesis of your ideal manager. I take your point about having the ability to win one-off cup games using a solid system and the ensuing Cup runs being a benefit of that.
    But for me I want LFC to succeed but not at the cost of entertainment value. I suppose I love football as a creative sport and the Italian philosophy of the game is not my cup of tea at all.

You understand Liverpool would probably never win any trophies like that, right? Maybe a total fluke as an absolute outlier, but to be successful a team needs to be able to defend to a decent level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You understand Liverpool would probably never win any trophies like that, right? Maybe a total fluke as an absolute outlier, but to be successful a team needs to be able to defend to a decent level.

I'm with Allen.

EDIT: Alan - little slip there!

Passing off the defensive crapness of the last few years as some sort of unavoidable consequence of attacking football is just wrong.

Barring a world class strike partnership comprising the top two goal scorers in the EPL (bear in mind our top scorer this season is Gerrard with 5..) we do need to ensure balance in the team - it really is the low hanging fruit.

I don't think you would need a fluke in fairness . You would need to play all out attack for 90 minutes and not worry about the defence to play the way BR wants to play .
    The only problem is after a while every team you face will just do what Chelsea did last season and park the bus big time . So you need to be able to play all out attack and also be able to grind out the 1-0 wins aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, and the aqueducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I have to say last season was the best football I have this club play except for Rafas team at the back end of the 08 / 09 season they where formidable .
    I would love to see that type of football but right now the manager doesn't have the players to play like that because you need two 20 plus goal a season strikers !!! Liverpool have one in Danny and the rest are not great at all .

Yes i know, I was responding to earlier question of "If we sign a striker and bring Origi back we will probably play same system as last year.." and I am saying that would be agreeable for me.

An offensively strong team will always win less trophies than a defensively strong team. Its one of the strange anomalies of football that some cultures "get" and some don't. The Italians get it, the English don't. I know which football I would rather watch though.
    I am a fan of football ahead of LFC, and if I could be entertained by Liverpool over the course of a season I would accept that ahead of winning the odd League/FA Cup. There you go I said it. Style over substance for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, and the aqueducts.

And the WINE!!! :D

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, and the aqueducts.

I must have missed that joke, aqueducts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

An offensively strong team will always win less trophies than a defensively strong team. Its one of the strange anomalies of football that some cultures "get" and some don't. The Italians get it, the English don't. I know which football I would rather watch though.
    I am a fan of football ahead of LFC, and if I could be entertained by Liverpool over the course of a season I would accept that ahead of winning the odd League/FA Cup. There you go I said it. Style over substance for me.

If we were successful with dour football it wouldn't be long before people started complaining about it. Football is entertainment, no more no less. Entertainment that generates massive amounts of tribalism and emotion but still entertainment. I'd rather go for the gold ring than the brass one so i'm with you. Entertaining football all the way. Will make anything we do win mean more to me.

• Advertisement

Spurs are the club for you :pac:

I totally disagree with your philosophy but fair play for nailing your colours to the mast. The truth is that there are many football fans out there that would share your view. My Spurs mate would agree with everything you just said - entertaining attacking football first, titles and trophies second.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement