Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

garra wrote: »
    I must have missed that joke, aqueducts??

Life of Brian. What have the Romans ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

tok9 wrote: »

What a random thing for him to tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I could never get behind pretty failure. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Give me trophies over fancy football any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Give me a league title playing boring defensive football all day long.

You can then slowly build towards playing sexy football after that.

Wenger build his great Arsenal teams on the boring boring 1 nil to the Arsenal defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs are the club for you :pac:

I totally disagree with your philosophy but fair play for nailing your colours to the mast. The truth is that there are many football fans out there that would share your view. My Spurs mate would agree with everything you just said - entertaining attacking football first, titles and trophies second.

If I was London-based I'm not so sure I'd be a Spurs fan.. I'm rather partial to Arsene's neat inter-play and wingers playing as full-backs so I'd have to be a gunner :pac: An FA Cup every decade to keep me happy!

It's a results driven game, whatever needs to be done to consistently get wins in the league is required to cement top4 and get league challenges going.

The current system (with 3CBs, wing backs & a defensive midfielder) can both be decent enough at the back and also allow goalfests if there is a finisher like Sturridge on the pitch.

The diamond with Gerrard as the quarter back i hope not to see again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

who in their right mind wants attractive football over trophies?

it's only attractive if it's winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs are the club for you :pac:

I totally disagree with your philosophy but fair play for nailing your colours to the mast. The truth is that there are many football fans out there that would share your view. My Spurs mate would agree with everything you just said - entertaining attacking football first, titles and trophies second.

He is only saying that because he is spurs fan they win nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Everyone loves the wrastlin

B7Z8u4tCIAAwtqW.jpg:small

72431810.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gerrard screwed Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ibe recall confirmed by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Winning football is the most entertaining football for me. Last year was great, my favourite season ever of all the seasons we didn't win a trophy in.

But without doubt, my favourite era as a Liverpool fan were the Rafa years. Trophies, Champions League nights that extended into the lovely April and May evenings when it was still bright out at kick off. Winning matches in the Bernabeu and Nou Camp etc like absolute bosses.

The absolute belief in the manager as well that you could actually go to these places and win. F*cking great days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So Borini starts against Villa according to the bib theory lad.

Probably something like this.
    Mignolet
    Can Skrtel Sakho
    Markovic
    Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cup tied in both cups also. I imagine he will be used alot in the europa (a competition which i hope we will go far in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    So Borini starts against Villa according to the bib theory lad.

Probably something like this.
    Mignolet
    Can Skrtel Sakho
    Markovic
    Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Borini

I hope its Sterling through the middle if its not a 1:2 with Coutinho behind Borini+Sterling. Borini's finishing is just not good enough for him to be getting on the end of chances, and he is good at the closing and chasing down full-backs - like a rabid dog let loose on the postman.
    Otherwise its probably the best use of our available players, and most likely to produce the WINNNN (in a highly entertaining manner for the football fans too!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Origi next?

Are you ready for

Cement
    Manquillo--Can--Sakho--Moreno
    Lucas-Hendo
    Sterling
    ----Sturridge--Origi---Ibe

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Give me trophies over fancy football any day.

there is no guarantee that Drab boring ,defensive football will deliver trophies ,or that free flowing attacking football will not deliver.

All you can guarantee is what you play is entertaining or Boring

With that in mind entertaining all the way please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sturridge is actually quite a poor finisher despite last seasons tally. He has skill and pace but needs a lot of space to be effective, rather like Torres, and has yet to prove himself at the highest level. His performances for England at the World Cup - where he missed a hatfull - were telling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ibe recalled, Sterling back, Sturridge on the way. Origi maybe. We might actually make a signing this transfer window. Keeping Lucas seemingly.

****ing hell. Happy out.

C'mon ta **** Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

chicorytip wrote: »
    Sturridge is actually quite a poor finisher despite last seasons tally. He has skill and pace but needs a lot of space to be effective, rather like Torres, and has yet to prove himself at the highest level. His performances for England at the World Cup - where he missed a hatfull - were telling.

do you know who sturridge is?:confused:

ill leave this here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Here's one of his lucky ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93331856

Ha ha good man.

Not another one.

Sigh.

klose wrote: »
    Cup tied in both cups also. I imagine he will be used alot in the europa (a competition which i hope we will go far in)

If they plan to use fringe players though, then it'll only be one round most likely. If we don't play full strength teams in the Europa, allowing for reasonable rotation of course, I'll be bloody annoyed.

Round of applause...489538229-daniel-sturridge-of-liverpool-claps-to-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXtOhNHGWJvsVpy%2Bn9hs53ASyJHo5F1S4y3Zh73znrnkt

As an Everton fan you'll know he can finish..hi-res-465639845-daniel-sturridge-of-liverpool-scores-his-teams-second_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=434&q=85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Would have liked to have seen Jordan Ibe stay at Derby for the season. He seemed to he doing well. Must be planning to use him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Would have liked to have seen Jordan Ibe stay at Derby for the season. He seemed to he doing well. Must be planning to use him.

I agree. It would be terrible for him if he just ends up as another bench warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

It's never entertaining when we lose.

Club are still in 3 Cup competitions as well as the league. Could be lots more games to play this season.

Don't think Derby are too happy mind. I'm sure they probably thought he'd be there for the season.

Club are still in 3 Cup competitions as well as the league. Could be lots more games to play this season.

Don't think Derby are too happy mind. I'm sure they probably thought his loan would be extended until the end of the season.

He can't play in 2 of those cups though

5starpool wrote: »
    He can't play in 2 of those cups though

Well if it's only league and EL then less chances I guess. I'm sure he wouldn't have been recalled though unless they plan to use him. Even if it's mainly as a sub. Hard to see where he starts at the moment if everyone is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

do you know who sturridge is?:confused:

ill leave this here

Got a bit weepy watching that, really missing him is all.

• Advertisement

Sturridge is actually quite a poor finisher despite last seasons tally.

I'd hate to see how many a good finisher would score for us. 50 a season.

Another for Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Eh...... Torres just scored twice against real.

Athletico must be magic.

He's loved at Athletico and he loves the club. I expect him to be an improvement from his previous 2 clubs for sure.

Hope he scores bags of goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely delighted for Torres. They look to be playing to his strengths, give him the ball in the box on the run (as opposed to back to goal) when he's confident and he's as good as anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

garra wrote: »
    An offensively strong team will always win less trophies than a defensively strong team. Its one of the strange anomalies of football that some cultures "get" and some don't. The Italians get it, the English don't. I know which football I would rather watch though.
    I am a fan of football ahead of LFC, and if I could be entertained by Liverpool over the course of a season I would accept that ahead of winning the odd League/FA Cup. There you go I said it. Style over substance for me.

I think this idea that the English don't get how important defensive strength is is wide of the mark. It's probably a hangover from the harum-scarum style that was popular in the 80s. Before and during that period there was another style developed that has become, what I would have thought is, accepted as the predominant English style since the likes of Grahem Taylor gave up - the well organised zonal defence. I know they're not all English, but managers like Hodgson, Allerdyce, Pulis, Moyes, Warnock, etc. would all be seen as exemplars of the English style. They all focus on defensive organisation first and foremost and they're all good at it. The more balanced, or more attacking, national team coaches like Keegan, Venables, Hoddle I've always thought were seen as outsiders.

With regard to what is required to win trophies, imo defensive strength can be enough to win cups, but for any competitive league you need to be strong at attacking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Bringing all the young players back from their loans kinda feels like that episode of Band of Brothers.

Replacements I think it was called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

brevity wrote: »
    Bringing all the young players back from their loans kinda feels like that episode of Band of Brothers.

Replacements I think it was called.

Great. Now I wanna watch that again.

Also, someone once said that you don't win anything with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Torres' second goal was reeling in the years

https://vine.co/v/OjBVDaFKZJa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, Griezmann with both his assists. Plenty of people on here who were crying out for the Club to go after him last summer.

Knex. wrote: »
    Also, Griezmann with both his assists. Plenty of people on here who were crying out for the Club to go after him last summer.

Griezmann would have suited the style we played last season and the 3-4-3 we are playing now.

Plenty crying out for Lacazette this time and I can see him ending up in Spain as well next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think this idea that the English don't get how important defensive strength is is wide of the mark. It's probably a hangover from the harum-scarum style that was popular in the 80s. Before and during that period there was another style developed that has become, what I would have thought is, accepted as the predominant English style since the likes of Grahem Taylor gave up - the well organised zonal defence. I know they're not all English, but managers like Hodgson, Allerdyce, Pulis, Moyes, Warnock, etc. would all be seen as exemplars of the English style. They all focus on defensive organisation first and foremost and they're all good at it. The more balanced, or more attacking, national team coaches like Keegan, Venables, Hoddle I've always thought were seen as outsiders.

With regard to what is required to win trophies, imo defensive strength can be enough to win cups, but for any competitive league you need to be strong at attacking too.

What your describing is jupp heynckes bayern Munich team in a nutshell . Strong in defensive and lethal on the counter .

Griezmann would have suited the style we played last season and the 3-4-3 we are playing now.

Plenty crying out for Lacazette this time and I can see him ending up in Spain as well next season.

I think both are probably unattainable for us now.

5starpool wrote: »
    I think both are probably unattainable for us now.

I agree.

When you look at the £75m that was burning a hole in the clubs pockets during the summer you could have got both and still had the guts of £45m left.

I do know Griezmann said he'd prefer to stay in Spain and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I agree.

When you look at the £75m that was burning a hole in the clubs pockets during the summer you could have got both and still had the guts of £45m left.

I do know Griezmann said he'd prefer to stay in Spain and all that.

And presumably play for the La Liga champions and CL finalists.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement