Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

OK sakho did well to get across bony from his starting position but if he just comes and meets the ball properly it goes out for a corner.

Also check sakho from our tip off after the goal he plays a simple pass straight to bony and they are unlucky not to be level

No doubt he was at fault for the Bony chance after their goal but I wouldn't blame him for the Sigurdsson goal. He did amazingly well to even beat Bony in the air at all. Meanwhile Sigurdsson had trotted into the penalty area with nobody near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

15 mill plus borini to the swans for bony ..make it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho, Can & Skrtel have done ok in the last one and half games considering that's all they have played together in competitive games.

Sakho has been out injured for most of the season so far and Can hasn't played much this season either.

So for a makeshift defence we really can't complain about stumbling into what could be quiet a good back 3 going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Shoulda been more the dirty foreigner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Any word on Sterling being disciplined ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mignolet – Emre Can, Touré, Sakho – Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Moreno – Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling.

That is the team tomorow from the usual source.
    Henderson RWB again:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

MD1990 wrote: »

Maybe Gerrard is the RWB, we can but hope! Manquillo was fairly quiet against Swansea so he won't be sorely missed, moving Hendo out of midfield is what will perturb me!

Skrtel is suspended tomorrow.

Good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maybe Gerrard is the RWB, we can but hope! Manquillo was fairly quiet against Swansea so he won't be sorely missed, moving Hendo out of midfield is what will perturb me!

Manquillo hasn't impressed me at all, not sure what the consensus view is on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Manquillo gave us a good balance I thought. Yeah moving Hendo out of midfield after what was arguably his best performance of the season is ridiculous IMO. However, we should be winning tomorrow comfortably, so it shouldn't really matter.

It shouldn't matter but it'll be that old chestnut of Gerrard and Lucas playing together and never really working that concerns me.

8-10 wrote: »
    Manquillo hasn't impressed me at all, not sure what the consensus view is on him?

I said a while back I wasn't overly impressed but as others pointed out he's doing ok for a youngster and being on loan, compared to some of our actual money signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No-one should be surprised. BR isn't man enough to drop Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    Skrtel was absolutely brainless and shows how poor of a defender he is.
    Benitez said that Skrtel was the best defender he signed but that the player is mentally weak - he constantly has to be told what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Talisman wrote: »
    Benitez said that Skrtel was the best defender he signed but that the player is mentally weak - he constantly has to be told what to do.

I agree. I said earlier that a solid defender next to him and a clear idea what the defence is supposed to be doing along with a DM would solve a lot of his problems. He is strong, good tackler, good in the air but really brainless at times and a poor reader of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sounds about right. He needed Benitez, Carra and Steve Clark telling him what to do. Rodgers doesn't do this and it shows.

Emre Can at 20 could be the leader the backline needs he has confidence and assertiveness of player with more experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Annoying but no great surprise to see Gerrard walk back into the team if that line up is correct. If 'The Rodgers' sees himself at the club for the next couple of years he is going to have to make the decision not to include him as a starter week in and week out. He has the perfect opportunity to lay the foundations for his future role now as the team performed well against Swansea and there is no need to change anything bar Skrtel's suspension, but it looks like he hasn't got the balls to make it.

Must be really disheartening for the likes of Henderson and Can knowing they will be shunted to another position or dropped to accommodate him if that's not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Still at least he won't start against AFC Wimbledon

• Advertisement

Still at least he won't start against AFC Wimbledon

They are the ones he should be starting.

Emre Can at 20 could be the leader the backline needs he has confidence and assertiveness of player with more experience.

I'd rather see him be a leader playing with confidence and assertiveness in the position he was bought to play in.

What I like about Can is that while he is well capable of playing out of defence, there is a real no nonsense aspect of his game.

Nothing wrong with turfing it into the crowd if he has no other option. I think this is the philosophy that Rodgers had a problem with.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd rather see him be a leader playing with confidence and assertiveness in the position he was bought to play in.

I can handle him playing CB if Lucas and Henderson are the starting CM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can & Sakho were a big improvement in terms of passing into midfield. Lovren is good at it but has lost all his confidence. Toure has done well but is very poor on the ball & we all know about Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

brevity wrote: »
    What I like about Can is that while he is well capable of playing out of defence, there is a real no nonsense aspect of his game.

Nothing wrong with turfing it into the crowd if he has no other option. I think this is the philosophy that Rodgers had a problem with.

He's got a bit of our old no 23 in him alrite. Never thought I'd say I miss carragher hoofing the ball out of danger, this playing it out has me shaking sometimes.

Can & Sakho were a big improvement in terms of passing into midfield. Lovren is good at it but has lost all his confidence. Toure has done well but is very poor on the ball & we all know about Mignolet.

That's the thing Lovren is a good defender.

Last season he had 2 DM's in front of him proctecting him along with the same 3 players beside him all season

Then he comes to Liverpool who at the start of the season didn't have any DM's and he had a different back 4 every game one mistake lead to another and another and his confidence just went.

Lovren, Can & Sakho for me is a good footballing back 3.

I'm not sure if that was a typo or an acceptance that finishing in the Champions League places is beyond us. Either way I'll bite and state the obvious: Liverpool are currently eighth in the league, there are four teams between us and the fourth Champions League place. Gaining three places only moves us up to fifth.

You make it sound simple by ignoring the fact who the opponents are. A plan that hinges on "all going well" - it hasn't worked in the first half of the season and there is no logical reason to expect it will for the next 19 league games.

We await the return of Daniel Sturridge to kick start the season in January. Arsenal await the return of Wellbeck, Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere and Arteta. Will our one player trump the contributions of their six?

If "all going well" is the plan, then why not target third place? What's another 3 points when you have 19 games to play? Man Utd have Di Maria, Herrera, Blind, Rojo, Valencia and Fellaini out injured.

We have 19 games to gain 8 points on 5 teams - all going well it sounds possible.

You seem to have misinterpreted a portion of my comment "19 games to gain 5 points on 3 teams, all going well it will be less on Thursday evening.", all going well referred to the fact that 1 from Arsenal, S'ton & Spurs are going to lose points, all going well all 3 of them will on Thursday, that would reduce the gap from 5 points. I am discounting West Ham as I think they have no chance. Now I'll continue as I didn't like the tone of your post ........

My plan doesn't hinge on all going well, as mentioned all going well was specifically referring to the next games and the likelyhood of 3 of the teams in competition with us for 4th dropping points.

Regarding Man Utd, I don't expect us to catch them so I'm not going to discuss that part of your post considering you seem to have misinterpreted what I meant by all going well and seem to be on an attempt at patronising me.

Liverpool are 14 points from 21 in their last 7 PL games, our season has been kickstarted imo, Sturridge will be an improvement no doubt if & when he returns but the kickstart has happened.

We await the return of Daniel Sturridge to kick start the season in January. Arsenal await the return of Wellbeck, Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere and Arteta. Will our one player trump the contributions of their six?

I find this portion of your post a tad daft, Wellbeck hasn't been missing too much, Walcott & Ozil will replace who in the team? So too Ramsey, Wilshere and Arteta, they aren't huge upgrades on what's curently in the Arsenal 11 imo.

As I said we have 5 points to gain on 3 teams (West Ham discounted) and we have 19 games to do it in, all going well come Thurs evening it will be less than 5 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Story is Rodgers bought his house, is best mates with him and seems to be living the life of a PL footballer..

Could be something, could be nothing

https://twitter.com/LFCTikiTaka/status/550358797592838145

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Disappointing to see gerrard come straight back in at the expense of hendo playing wing back, pretty annoyed over that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

klose wrote: »
    Disappointing to see gerrard come straight back in at the expense of hendo playing wing back, pretty annoyed over that now.

It's seems the system & personnel employed in that system may have been largely a fluke born out of circumstances, as opposed to good management & tactics. Disappointing.

garra wrote: »
    Unconditional love for a manager is not a recipe for success. I love the club and would not be expressing that if I were to unconditionally accept and support a manager's decisions when the performances were so insipid.

The Rodgers out crap reached a peak after the 3 straight PL losses, as you'd expect, some people maintained the tide would turn etc, 7 games on we have 14 points and are playing relatively well. Some of us anticipated this, some didn't.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    Do you really trust Rodgers/transfer committee to make shrewd signings? ......

Shewd implies an element of value, I'm not overly bothered about how shrewd a signing is, I'm happy with the following....... Can, Lallana (I said weeks ago I'd include him over Coutinho as there's goals in him), Coutinho, Sturridge, Lambert (fine for what he is and what he was bought for, can't blame in that we want another Sturridge instead), Moreno & Sakho.

Allen I think is fine, he'll come in and do a good job as required.

The following I'm not happy with, Mignolet (appalling, Jones is superior in ways imo), Lovren (total disaster so far but may improve in a back 3 with a DM in front of him), Balotelli (I expected 4/5 goals from him by now in PL, a goal every 2 PL games, for that I'd forgive the Balotelli stuff as you get that him :)

The likes of Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto don't overly irk me, the club will make the bulk of their money back on them. Although I'd like to have seen Assaidi play more for us but as he can't nail down a starting 11 place with Stoke I'm not doubt dreaming.

Borini is a miss too of course, however the club did all they could to get him out in Aug/Sep for a small profit so I'm not going to hold that one against the committee / Rodgers.

I'd love to see Gerrard dropped/on the bench again for tomorrow night but Rodgers might feel that Hendo can do a defensive job out on the wing and that he won't be overly missed against Leicester in CM, it's a risk but Hendo won't do any worse than Manquillo out there and with Can in the back 3 and Lucas anchored Gerrard might pull off a wonder pass or two to warrant his inclusion, he's well capable of it to be fair. Maybe Lallana might be CM and Gerrard more advanced, even some toggling of the two :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's seems the system & personnel employed in that system may have been largely a fluke born out of circumstances, as opposed to good management & tactics. Disappointing.

Well if the rumoured 11 is true - "Mignolet – Emre Can, Touré, Sakho – Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Moreno – Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling."

The system is the same, Toure in for suspended Skrtel (a plus imo) and Gerrard being accommodated with Hendo going to RWB.

It's a bit of a stretch to claim "It's seems the system & personnel employed in that system may have been largely a fluke born out of circumstances, as opposed to good management & tactics" on the basis of those changes imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mr Alan wrote: »

Do you ever get tired of looking for the negative in everything to do with this club? You must not take much joy in supporting the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A win tomorrow could see us 3 points off 4th with Sturridge to come back and hopefully a couple of new faces in the Jan window.

I would have taken the arms and legs of that scenario a little over a week ago when we were 9 off 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Forget about Sturridge lads.

He may not be back until the end of January.

He w'ont be match fit.

He probably will get injured again soon after.

We need to purchase a top striker.

ebbsy wrote: »

He w'ont be match fit.

Might as well sell sturridge so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Augeo wrote: »
    Might as well sell sturridge so...

That will happen anyway. Torres, Suraez, etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Toure is good on the ball. Did you not see him dance through the Real Madrid team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

He w'ont be match fit.

Would agree with this. I think we need a striker regardless.

Someone like Lacazette or Bony would be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Toure is good on the ball. Did you not see him dance through the Real Madrid team?

Yeah, but they are ****e.

We need a Striker who will scare Sturridge and make him worry about is starting place.

Sturridge is recovering right now knowing he will walk straight back into the starting team.

We need a striker who Sturridge has to fight for a starting place.

That will happen anyway. Torres, Suraez, etc etc etc

To be fair both wanted to go, keeping Suarez for the 13/14 season was an achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Rodgers was never going to keep the same 11 3 days later when his whole reason for resting Gerard was due to the amount of time between games. It is hard to replicate the workrate and effort that we showed against Swansea and it is not such a bad idea to rejuvenate for the Leicester game - rest the ones that we can replace like for like - Manquillo/Moreno/Lucas could be replaced by Johnson/Enrique/Gerard (Provided they are all fit etc) but i'd like to see Coutinho/Lallana/Hendo all keep their places as they were really good and need to get some consistency.

Personally i am not buying into the Gerard thing regarding him being dropped/rested and BR not being the man to do it ... this is what he's paid for lads - to make a call when to leave him out and when to rest him - this is a results based business and once he keeps that tempo to the level it was at the other night ... then i'll be happy. Much easier once we get up and running over a 10-12 game stretch to "rest" players as nobody really cares once the results are good.

The workrate of coutinho/lallana/hendo really made me smile the other night as well as how Manquillo/Moreno were clearly into 5th gear as soon as they seen Routledge/Dyer on the ball - tactically aware and they put in a great shift. Added was how Coutinho traps and rolls the ball with the sole of his boot everytime he touches the ball ... just hoping that he keeps to that level cos he can be sublime at times.

Trying to be positive here ;) ... Get Lovren going is the next challenge cos then all of a sudden Moreno/Can/Lallana/Lazar do not look like bad purchases ... it takes time!

• Advertisement

Gerrard isn't a like for like replacement for Lucas though, and I would say that he hasn't been dropped once yet despite his form warranting it. He also has a negative effect on our tempo when everything goes through him.

Maybe just maybe Gerrard will play as RWB.

After 20 minutes we'll be crying for Rampage Johnson back.

Gerrard will play tomorrow same way as against Bournemouth imo, Leicester on current form should be easier to beat unless we have finishing issues.

We need a Striker who will scare Sturridge and make him worry about is starting place.

Sturridge is recovering right now knowing he will walk straight back into the starting team.

We need a striker who Sturridge has to fight for a starting place.

Good point.

I think we might find thst Sturridge recovers a lot quicker if his position is under threat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement