Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gbear wrote: »
    And presumably play for the La Liga champions and CL finalists.

I get that.

Maybe the club did try for players like Griezmann & Lacazette and it never was made know.

They are the kind of players we should be trying for if Brendan wants to keep playing the same style of football.

At the start of the season a £16m offer would more than likely have got you Lacazette but we went for Balotelli.

Liverpool FC are close to agreeing a deal with AC Milan to allow Suso to move to the San Siro this month.

Not cool.
    The 21-year-old annoyed the Reds by failing to inform them that he was travelling to Italy on his day off last Sunday in order to undergo a medic

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-agree-suso-deal-8453249

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

brevity wrote: »
    Bringing all the young players back from their loans kinda feels like that episode of Band of Brothers.

Replacements I think it was called.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

That's no problem. He won't be passing any medical when I get as far as him for pulling a stunt like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-sturridge-need-time-return-8456689?

“It’s been our job over the last number of months to find that solution for him. We have called in experts from different parts of the world so we are hoping it will allow him to stay fit for longer and a more consistent period. Let’s hope that will be the case.

“You look at when he first came here for half a season and the next and that was the first time he had been playing consistent regular football.

“Mechanically that has meant he’s picked up injuries but hopefully in future all the work we have done, and all he will have learnt, means we will support him, keeping him fit and have him available for selection.”

Mario Balotelli has failed to fill the void in Sturridge’s absence – he remains without a league goal this season – but his recent substitute appearances have seen him look slightly sharper.

The £16m Italian missed training due to illness on Thursday but is expected to be available for the trip to Aston Villa on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Brendans comment in this article.... http://sports.ndtv.com/english-premier-league/news/209803-epl-transfer-news-simon-mignolet-signs-for-liverpool

"I am delighted that we have been able to sign one of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League," Rodgers told the club website.
    "Simon will join a club that will give him an opportunity to demonstrate and improve his huge talent."

Funny-Laughing-Meme-3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Read earlier in the week that he's a recommendation of the transfer committee but that Rodgers doesn't fancy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If you could have any former player back (except or along with Suarez) who would it be? They have to be still playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you could have any former player back (except or along with Suarez) who would it be? They have to be still playing.

Mascherano would be the best signing we could make. Exactly what we need right now and top of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mascherano would be the best signing we could make. Exactly what we need right now and top of his game.

Yup, aside from Suarez, he's pretty much the only option.
    Great as Xabi is, Masch's age and incredible defensive ability makes it an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mascherano or Alonso. Either would go a long way to solving the problems at the base of midfield. I'd probably veer slightly towards Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How we didnt win the league with Masch and Alonso in midfield is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Piece on Vietto.Young striker dubbed the next Aguero...

http://soccerlens.com/liverpool-must-everything-sign-luciano-vietto/160917/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vicxas wrote: »
    How we didnt win the league with Masch and Alonso in midfield is beyond me.

Think Torres only played around 19 games that season. I'll always that draw away to watch Wigan as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ibe recall confirmed by the club.
    This is a great move in my opinion. On potential at least, you'd have to say Ibe is a superior option to Suso, so with Suso out, the door opens a bit for Ibe. Also, if we're chasing a game, I reckon Ibe is about the best player we could bring off to bench to do so.

The next thought now has to be how we get rid of Borini - the lad just seems completely delusional.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-borini-ive-no-regrets-8456648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is a great move in my opinion. On potential at least, you'd have to say Ibe is a superior option to Suso, so with Suso out, the door opens a bit for Ibe. Also, if we're chasing a game, I reckon Ibe is about the best player we could bring off to bench to do so.

The next thought now has to be how we get rid of Borini - the lad just seems completely delusional.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-borini-ive-no-regrets-8456648

He smacks of a desperate Ex trying to save a broken relationship, with Ibe coming back he's been knocked down the pecking order.

Also, with Ibe gone i think that will do some damage to Derby's championship run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ibe will also be able to see how Sterling is working now and how he has progressed. Althought there is not much between them in terms of age, Ibe should be able to feed off Sterlings experiences.

................ the lad just seems completely delusional..............

Indeed...............
    "Yes, I could have left but I wanted to stay at Liverpool and I’m glad I did.
    “To be honest, going back to last summer, I didn’t expect to play as much as I have done so far."

He must not have much ambition, perhaps coupled with he knows things won't get any better elsewhere. It might be preferable to enjoy the Anfield experiece etc while he can rather than slug it out every week for a smaller club. He might know he'll be doing that for long enough in future years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

With Sturridge out, Borini is arguably our best striker suited to the way we play.

Although I imagine Sterling will be back as the striker role against Villa. But the point is Borini offers more pressing and mobility than Balotelli and Lambert.

You could see that against Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Roy hodgeson gave him his no 1 vote for the ballon dore, and roy knows his stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

“To be honest, going back to last summer, I didn’t expect to play as much as I have done so far.

“With Daniel Sturridge’s injuries, I’ve played more than I expected. I think I’ve done okay.

Borini didn't expect to play as much as he has ?! Fcking hell AND he's happy!
    I've felt sorry for him not getting started much during this season but that qoute really pissed me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

To be fair if he complains about the lack of games 'The Rodgers' ego will probably have him out of the squad for a few months.

Borini doesn't strike me as the most intelligent chap

This is the full text:

I’ve never regretted staying here,” Borini told the ECHO.

“Yes, I could have left but I wanted to stay at Liverpool and I’m glad I did.

“To be honest, going back to last summer, I didn’t expect to play as much as I have done so far.

“With Daniel Sturridge’s injuries, I’ve played more than I expected. I think I’ve done okay.

“I probably should have scored a couple of goals from the few chances I’ve had but I’m quite happy with my season so far.

“I won’t be leaving this month either. I started the last game and I don’t see any reason why I would need to change clubs. I see it as all positive for me.”

“The reason I said no to the clubs who wanted to sign me was that I wanted to play for a top four club,” he said.

“I wanted to play in the Champions League and in the biggest European competitions.

“I don’t think you can blame any player for having that kind of ambition.

“For me it was all about what I want to achieve in the future with my life.

“I took into account my football and also my personal life (he’s engaged to Liverpool model Erin O’Neill).

“That’s why I decided to stay at Liverpool. I have no regrets. This is what I want.

“It was never about money. If that was my motivation then I would have left for Dubai and I’d be playing football over there.

“I never looked at money. It was only ever about football and my ambitions. I still believe I can be a success at Liverpool.”

“I’ve never had a full season here,” Borini said.

“In my first year here I was unlucky with injuries.

“I wasn’t able to really prove myself and then in the second year I went out on loan.

“This is really the season for me. Yes, I haven’t played much, I don’t know why, but that’s not up to me.

“I’m working hard every day to show the manager that I can help. I want to prove myself here.”

“I had too much energy that day,” he said.

“I was excited to play. I wanted to come on and turn the game.

“I didn’t have enough control of my emotions. That’s why the red card was shown to me.

“I’ve never got red cards before. I think it was down to frustration and wanting to do well having not played so much. It happened and I’ve learned from it.”

“It’s never easy to get into it when you haven’t started many games because you aren’t used to the rhythm and the tempo of the game,” he said.

“There is also the emotion that you have when you play a game. I love football and when I got that chance to play I really wanted to take it.

“It was great to be part of it and to help the team get a win to keep this run going.

“That’s what I work for every day – to try to show I deserve to start matches.”

“Trying to get a consistent spell in the team is the key for me,” he added.

“I hope to play against Villa and I just need that one goal to start me off - maybe one which hits my back and goes in.

“If I am consistent in my work and show that to my team-mates and the manager I’m sure I’ll get the run I want.”

To be honest I don't really see anything wrong with what he said. Taking bits and pieces out of the interview is not fair IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I still think Borini is decent, wont be prolific but will chase down everything.
    His movement also makes gaps which our other players will be able to exploit.

What he does would be akin to what Kuyt used to do for us except more advanced up the pitch.
    He can probably play as part of a front 2 as well with th elike of Lambert and Mario, but i doubt we will see that.

So not a flashy flamboyant goal scoring menace, but will do a job, get stuck in and get the odd goal. At the moment we need someone more prolific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

niallo27 wrote: »
    Think Torres only played around 19 games that season. I'll always that draw away to watch Wigan as well.

Its funny but ive seen this a couple of times but that wasnt the issue at all.

What cost us that season was a dismal January and February and Torres played in all the league games apart from one during that time against Boro.

In January and Feb we played 7 league games but only picked up 2 wins albeit against Chelsea and Portsmouth.

A horrible loss to Boro where in fairness Torres didnt play was coupled with poor draws against Everton, Wigan, Stoke and City.

Thats what cost us in the long run as we were always playing catch up after that despite the fantastic run we went on. When Torres didnt perform we struggled and although Robbie Keane was no superstar how we allowed a seasoned premiership striker leave in January without replacing him with the amounts of games and the situation we were in is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I still think Borini is decent, wont be prolific but will chase down everything.
    His movement also makes gaps which our other players will be able to exploit.

What he does would be akin to what Kuyt used to do for us except more advanced up the pitch.
    He can probably play as part of a front 2 as well with th elike of Lambert and Mario, but i doubt we will see that.

So not a flashy flamboyant goal scoring menace, but will do a job, get stuck in and get the odd goal. At the moment we need someone more prolific.

Its actually quite funny that alot of people feel we can't judge Mario (who has been an absolute disaster) because he hasn't played up front with another striker - I would have liked to see Boroni up top with another frontman a bit.

More than anything though - I long for a time when we aren't arguing which sh1t striker is sh1tter.

So Borini is going out with some model / B list celebrity based out of Liverpool yeah? Is it simply a case that her moving isn't an option and he's going to stick out his contract for the relationship?

We signed him, we gave him a deal. If he's intent on seeing that out then we can stomp and complain about it but we're stuck with it. I always thought Winston Bogarde was entitled to do what he did at Chelsea.

The next step is to remove him from first team activities entirely. He trains with the U21s / U18s and just plays U21 games the odd time. I'd be surprised if he was still adverse to a move in the summer after a few months of that...

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Its actually quite funny that alot of people feel we can't judge Mario (who has been an absolute disaster) because he hasn't played up front with another striker - I would have liked to see Boroni up top with another frontman a bit.

More than anything though - I long for a time when we aren't arguing which sh1t striker is sh1tter.

I was one who argued that Mario argument. But now I have realised that he is the modern day Jason Lee without the pineapple on his head.

I've been googling the picture of the special goal posts that the guys on Soccer AM made for Jason Lee, it would probably work for Mario as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Borini should have been sold as soon as he posted on twitter a pic of the sexy knickers he got for his sister.

So Borini is going out with some model / B list celebrity based out of Liverpool yeah? Is it simply a case that her moving isn't an option and he's going to stick out his contract for the relationship?

We signed him, we gave him a deal. If he's intent on seeing that out then we can stomp and complain about it but we're stuck with it. I always thought Winston Bogarde was entitled to do what he did at Chelsea.

The next step is to remove him from first team activities entirely. He trains with the U21s / U18s and just plays U21 games the odd time. I'd be surprised if he was still adverse to a move in the summer after a few months of that...

FCUK that. Why would you do that do a player like him when the 16m waste of space that is Ballotelli gets a free pass?

No, what we do is play Boroni a bit more - get some value from him before moving him on in the summer if a move doesn't materialise this window.

I'd rather not go alienating the only other striker we have who can play this system and risk being back stuck with Lambert and Mario if Sturridge breaks down again in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Been hearing all the time that Borini's movement is a plus and he creates gaps.

I really think this is not a plus as all he is doing is running around but not in in intelligent manner. Also I think he has the reputation as a poor finisher so defenders are not that bothered by his movement like they would be with Sturridge or Suarez.

I just don't get that people rate him at all. I would not even rate him as 'decent'.

He is poor and is not of the standard Liverpool require.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

FCUK that. Why would you do that do a player like him when the 16m waste of space that is Ballotelli gets a free pass?

No, what we do is play Boroni a bit more - get some value from him before moving him on in the summer if a move doesn't materialise this window.

I'd rather not go alienating the only other striker we have who can play this system and risk being back stuck with Lambert and Mario if Sturridge breaks down again in February.

The problem with playing him more is that he is not good enough for where we want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

But why would we do that? He offers more than Lambert and (currently) Balotelli so why would we just throw him away when we've no other strikers coming in?

On top of that, it's not like he's a significant wage burner in the context of football. If I remember right he was looking for 90k off QPR which was apparently 3 times his wages.

Borini hasn't done particularly well but what you're suggesting is honestly completely pointless.

murpho999 wrote: »

I really think this is not a plus as all he is doing is running around but not in in intelligent manner. Also I think he has the reputation as a poor finisher so defenders are not that bothered by his movement like they would be with Sturridge or Suarez.

I just don't get that people rate him at all. I would not even rate him as 'decent'.

I would gladly replace him with someone who would hit the back of the onion sack more frequently. But if he is our only option, then he does add positives to counter his lack of goal scoring.
    If he makes an intellegent run off the ball creating space, with Sterling running into it, and Coutinho finding passes into space it could be lethal.
    But that would take a lot of playing time together and building up a huge understanding with each other.

What the **** Lloyd? That makes absolutely no sense?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't agree with freezing anyone out. He is better as an option than Lambert anyhow, although I'd prefer to see Balotelli starting over him. Presumably he has another full season left on his deal at least taking him up to summer 2016?

• Advertisement

He is not good enough, we all know that. I'm not sure why people have it in for him though. People read a few lines of an interview and decided he's a mercenary.

Its not saying much but I'd prefer him starting instead of Lambert any day.

Play him alongside Balotelli and see what happens.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't agree with freezing anyone out. He is better as an option than Lambert anyhow, although I'd prefer to see Balotelli starting over him. Presumably he has another full season left on his deal at least taking him up to summer 2016?

When Balotelli was signed wasn't there talk of loads of contract stipulations in relation to behaviour and playing time.
    I'm guessing that there is something in there that says he must play X amount of games barring injury or the contract would be terminated.....somethign to that effect. Could we be basically forcing him out contractually by benching him, and even dropping him?

As with any of our players, I'd still like him to come good and bang in goals for us. But he needs to do alot more with his next chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

IF you could spend the night with any Liverpool player, who would it be and why?

murpho999 wrote: »

The problem with playing him more is that he is not good enough for where we want to be.

Again with this!

Unless we sign someone this window, these arguments are moot! - he is the best of a bad bunch we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

IF you could spend the night with any Liverpool player, who would it be and why?

Enrique, the stuff we see of him on social media leads me to believe it would a super fun time.

tok9 wrote: »
    But why would we do that? He offers more than Lambert and (currently) Balotelli so why would we just throw him away when we've no other strikers coming in?

On top of that, it's not like he's a significant wage burner in the context of football. If I remember right he was looking for 90k off QPR which was apparently 3 times his wages.

Borini hasn't done particularly well but what you're suggesting is honestly completely pointless.
    What the **** Lloyd? That makes absolutely no sense?

Calm down.

- manager wants to move player on;
    - players seems satisfied with current level of involvement;
    - player is not good enough;

So you're either happy for him to hang around until he's a free agent or you expedite the situation in order to make him happy to move on in the summer.

I don't particularly care. He's an irrelevance for us off and on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Unless we sign someone this window, these arguments are moot! - he is the best of a bad bunch we have!
    I find it hard to consider Borini as being the best of anything.

Night out with Balo for the bantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Enrique, the stuff we see of him on social media leads me to believe it would a super fun time.

All be seems to do is play fifa against suso or go to Dubai whenever he gets a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He didn't say a "night out".

He said "spend the night".....which means something else altogether. :p

The manager also wanted rid of Henderson. The jury is out on the managers choice of players really.

To me, Borini was being realistic, he said he didn't expect to play...fair point. Should he have said "I should be challenging Surridge" perhaps. Maybe he is lazy in the trainging ground..although I doubt it.

Its probably better for all involved that he does go. The manager doesnt know what to do with him at this stage and he doesnt know how to develop him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement