Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Huzzah. Finally the majority are being won over by Sakho on the basis of his performances rather than perceptions - if I hear one more person saying "he looks awkward" or "he makes me nervous on the ball", I'll scream.

Happy with today, but it's not like we're beating world beaters. These kinds of games are banana skins, so happy to come away with another 3 points on the board and stay in the hunt, albeit from a still difficult position, for 4th.

Originally ten games into season I would've said "x points to 4th" was a silly metric, as Southampton at 2nd/3rd were the team to chase, but since their performance against Chelsea I started to wonder if they actually would fall at all - they're still playing some mighty stuff. All the same, all to play for, and if we hit 73-74 points the position is ours regardless of what anyone else does, though that does require 2.37 points per game in the run in which is a high high margin over a 16 game stretch. All to play for, but a high high threshold to achieve too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

One of the most misleading stats in football

Maybe...still funny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Augmerson wrote: »
    What are the most misleading stats in football?

Well, in my opinion, stats in football are just 'nerdy' deconstructions in an attempt to unlock the mysterious equations of a game that has so many variables that cannot be determined by those stats for said stats to even be relevant other than in the minor nether regions of the minds of people who spend their days on a relentless crusade to find an age of reason in what is basically indefinable.

In short, all of them. They are just fun facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You're very Humerus:D

Beaten me hands diwn there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BenEadir wrote: »
    So his goal today was a tap in?

ROFL :D

By all means argue your point but don't embarass yourself by calling his goal a tap in.

Ok a tap in might get bit harsh but it was within the 6 yard area so and only the keeper to beat. Was not that hard a chance.
    Not embarrassed by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lucas is boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

missed the game due to wifi acting up. we seemed ok enough on MOTD. annoyed how sterling is so wastefull infront of goal! i forget what it is like to lose lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I know people made a good joke about it during the week but it was Borini's run that made the goal. He made a run that I don't think Lambert or Ballotelli would have made. They would most likely be on their heels and reacted too late.

#movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Huzzah. Finally the majority are being won over by Sakho on the basis of his performances rather than perceptions - if I hear one more person saying "he looks awkward" or "he makes me nervous on the ball", I'll scream..

Personally I always thought Sakho's biggest problem was decision making - something that doesn't get better by sitting on the bench or in the reserves, he just needed games really. He will still make mistakes, but has much more potential than Skrtel who made a lot of the same errors as well when he was younger. It's like some people around here have no memory at all! Sakho got very little playing time in the season before he joined us and as a young player, he was always going to take time to settle.

Regarding Borini - he's a backup striker, nothing more, at least he puts in some effort. Nobody thinks he should be a regular starter, but our main striker has been out injured pretty much all season and Mario is just too much of a luxury player. For the love of god can you please stop going on about him!

Sterling should have scored today, trying to lob the keeper when just blasting it was the obvious choice could have put us 2-0 up! Could have coasted the rest of the game if he had. Again the problem there is decision making and him not being a natural striker.

Anyway, we were always going to struggle this season losing Suarez and then Sturridge through injury. We could spend 50 million on a striker who gets injured in his first game and is out for the rest of the season and then you'd all be saying it was a waste of money. It's going to take a season or two to settle down after last season, but that's what happens. Chelsea didn't do much after all their first year of splashing out, Ranieri got the sack, same with Hughes at City - it takes time to build a new team, which is what we are doing!

So, can you all just chill out a bit :) And shut up about the Nevilles FFS! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know people made a good joke about it during the week but it was Borini's run that made the goal. He made a run that I don't think Lambert or Ballotelli would have made. They would most likely be on their heels and reacted too late.

#movement

Same goes for the run where he failed to square the ball for Coutinho. Was a great run across the line which neither of the other two would be capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lucas nearly deserves a new contract for that celebration alone.

Lucas nearly deserves a new contract for that celebration alone.

How long has he left on his contract?

Personally I'd be locking him down and not letting him leave in the summer. It's the Lucas of old this season or very close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How long has he left on his contract?

Personally I'd be locking him down and not letting him leave in the summer. It's the Lucas of old this season or very close to it.

Until there is a player at the club that can shield the back four it would be madness to let him go. Put Delph or Milner in next to Henderson in midfield and we will start having opposition running straight through the middle again.

Delph isn't fit to lace Lucas's boots.

The most bizarre transfer link yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's actually great to see Lucas beginning to resemble his form a few years ago. Long may it continue.

I'm liking this midfield pairing.

Delph isn't fit to lace Lucas's boots.

The most bizarre transfer link yet

The only player I would replace with Delph is Allen, and then we are just replacing a sub with another sub.

mav79 wrote: »
    The only player I would replace with Delph is Allen, and then we are just replacing a sub with another sub.

Yeah probably, but even then I wouldn't bother.

I'd keep Lucas even if we signed an upgrade. For me he offers far far more than Allen.

Allen for me is average enough and hasn't stepped it up since he came to us.

Yeah probably, but even then I wouldn't bother.

I'd keep Lucas even if we signed an upgrade. For me he offers far far more than Allen.

Allen for me is average enough and hasn't stepped it up since he came to us.

I'll be honest and admit I thought Allen and Henderson could work well together ahead of either Lucas, or Gerrard last year but he has not improved since he joined and spends more time out injured than in the team. But I am a big believer in improving the first team and pushing every player down the pecking order, not replacing squad players with more squad players. Buy a midfielder to go straight into the first team and then Allen could be left leave. Completely agree Lucas should not be let go ahead of Allen. The striker situation is the same, look at players better or at least as good as Sturridge, not some third choice striker to replace Borini or Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok a tap in might get bit harsh but it was within the 6 yard area so and only the keeper to beat. Was not that hard a chance.
    Not embarrassed by the way.

More handy tap in's not requiring any skill like this please :o

Borini for Ballon d'or ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'll be honest and admit I thought Allen and Henderson could work well together ahead of either Lucas, or Gerrard last year but he has not improved since he joined and spends more time out injured than in the team. But I am a big believer in improving the first team and pushing every player down the pecking order, not replacing squad players with more squad players. Buy a midfielder to go straight into the first team and then Allen could be left leave. Completely agree Lucas should not be let go ahead of Allen. The striker situation is the same, look at players better or at least as good as Sturridge, not some third choice striker to replace Borini or Lambert.

I actually think Delph offers a hell of a lot more than Allen - would definitely be an upgrade. Is he good enough to become a player that could help us get Top 4 and stay there? Really not sure about that part.

mosstin wrote: »
    I actually think Delph offers a hell of a lot more than Allen - would definitely be an upgrade. Is he good enough to become a player that could help us get Top 4 and stay there? Really not sure about that part.

He could be a lot better than Allen, I'm not questioning that. My point is, is he better than Lucas, Henderson or Couthino. If not we are not improving the first team. Why bother replace a squad player with another squad player. Would it not make more sense to buy a player that challenges Lucas and Henderson and pushes one of these to the bench and replaces Allen in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He could be a lot better than Allen, I'm not questioning that. My point is, is he better than Lucas, Henderson or Couthino. If not we are not improving the first team. Why bother replace a squad player with another squad player. Would it not make more sense to buy a player that challenges Lucas and Henderson and pushes one of these to the bench and replaces Allen in the squad.

Which is pretty much what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MOTD Highlights

Also, didn't say it yesterday, but look how well Sterling does for Lambert's goal. He was quiet yesterday, for sure, but that was excellent from him.

Lucas diving into the crowd twice for the resulting celebration was just hilarious :D

Best defensive record in the league since the United game, some big games coming up though which will really test them. Sakho has been excellent, depressing our manager rated Lovren ahead of him. I hope he's firmly changed his mind about him. If we sell him in the summer I will go ape.

https://vine.co/v/Ojr6t5e5QFX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sahko would regularly get a doing at work from fellas I know talking football, and I used to stick up for him, I figured he looked gangly but barring that he was solid enough - fantastic in the air, okay with the ball at feet and a solid tackler.

What he still does a bit too much and will get caught out against better opposition, is rushing out - he presses the man and sometimes is too eager, flys out and leaves gaps in behind - it cost us against City earlier in the year and I saw him do it at least once in the Villa highlights on MOTD

Overall, he's a very, very good defender, who has the potential to kick on. As do a lot more of that squad of u-24's so while I haven't heard anything of him being sold - that would make zero sense!

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Sahko would regularly get a doing at work from fellas I know talking football, and I used to stick up for him, I figured he looked gangly but barring that he was solid enough - fantastic in the air, okay with the ball at feet and a solid tackler.

What he still does a bit too much and will get caught out against better opposition, is rushing out - he presses the man and sometimes is too eager, flys out and leaves gaps in behind - it cost us against City earlier in the year and I saw him do it at least once in the Villa highlights on MOTD

Overall, he's a very, very good defender, who has the potential to kick on. As do a lot more of that squad of u-24's so while I haven't heard anything of him being sold - that would make zero sense!

I wish the rest of the defenders did this as often as Sakho tbh. Far too often we back off and it costs us. I actually really like that aggressive nature about Sakho. It doesn't work sometimes but more often then not it does and if the rest of the defenders could match it then we'd be in better shape.

Yesterday Cleverly's chance in the first half came from Skrtel backing off and not stepping up. Look how deep he is compared the the rest of the defensive line. It's about 3mins 15seconds into the MOTD highlights video Knex posted.

Skrtel is just behind Gabby in the middle.

23wv1vs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I have been very critical of henderson all season and at times rightly so but by **** he was immense yesterday and anyone turning their nose up at Delph need their head examined he is a quality footballer.
    Lucas in the crowd gave me goose bumps great scenes, really feels like we have turned the corner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Our game schedule until the end of March 2015. I haven't included the final of the League Cup, 5th Round of FA Cup or Round of 16 of Europa League as of yet. Think it would be a bit presumptuous to mark those down until we've actually qualified for them. But if we do make 5th Round of FA Cup or Round of 16 then those dates would also have to be factored in.

LEAGUE CUP
    versus Chelsea (Home) 20th January
    FA CUP
    versus Bolton (Home) 24th January
    LEAGUE CUP
    versus Chelsea (Away) 27th January
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus West Ham (Home) 31st January
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Everton (Away) 7th February
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Spurs (Home) 10th February
    EUROPE
    versus Besiktas (Home) 22nd Feburary
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Southampton (Away) 26th February
    EUROPE
    versus Besiktas (Away) 26th Feburary
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Man City (Home) 1st March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Burnley (Home) 4th March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Swansea (Away) 14th March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Man Utd (Home) 21st March

13 games in 34 days I think? Including a trip to Turkey.

West ham, S'ton, Spurs, Everton & city - we will be seeind some draws and perhaps a defeat from that run of 5 games, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    West ham, S'ton, Spurs, Everton & city - we will be seeind some draws and perhaps a defeat from that run of 5 games, no doubt.

On our day and with Sturridge back in the side we can beat any of them. The confidence is coming back.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    On our day and with Sturridge back in the side we can beat any of them. The confidence is coming back.

Indeed we can, beating Spurs and West ham is crucial, 3 points from the other 9 would be fine imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think the 3 league games to come are going to be a real test. It's vital we beat West Ham, Everton and Spurs. Of the 3 I think West Ham will be the sternest test, coming so soon after the FA and League Cup games.

West Ham are out of the League Cup so have only a FA Cup 5th round tie against Bristol between todays game against Hull and playing us. 3 points would really put the wind in our sails going into the two other games in that period against Everton, who are doing quite poorly, and Spurs, who are currently vying for that 4th spot.

West Ham's next 4 games after today is Liverpool, Utd, Southampton and Spurs.

Spurs play Liverpool, West Ham and Utd in the same period.

The table will look a bit different by the end of Feb I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Indeed we can, beating Spurs and West ham is crucial, 3 points from the other 9 would be fine imo.

Fine for what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

markovics pass to hendo for the 1st was sublime... he's gonna be a great purchase over the next few seasons

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fine for what exactly?

Fine as in..... 9 from 15 points from a tough 5 game run, keep us on track to hit 67 points, take points off rivals for 4th.

Are you expecting more than 9 points?

I'm as optimistic as they come but I'm also realistic.

9 from the next 15 brings Liverpool to 30 from 45 since the 3 defeats on the trot, beat spurs and west ham, and that'd be fine imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Will have to beat Southampton to finish ahead of them I suspect.

Milkers wrote: »

Ideally for top 4 aspirations we beat S'ton, west ham & Spurs

Fine as in..... 9 from 15 points from a tough 5 game run, keep us on track to hit 67 points, take points off rivals for 4th.

Are you expecting more than 9 points?

I'm as optimistic as they come but I'm also realistic.

9 from the next 15 brings Liverpool to 30 from 45 since the 3 defeats on the trot, beat spurs and west ham, and that'd be fine imo.

I'd imagine Turtys point is that 9 points from 15 may be fine, but is it good enough to really get into this top 4? We probably need to be picking up at least 2ppg until season end and even that may not be enough.

Milkers wrote: »

Just had a quick look at Southamptons remaining fixtures and tbh, they probably have the best of anyones.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine Turtys point is that 9 points from 15 may be fine, but is it good enough to really get into this top 4? We probably need to be picking up at least 2ppg until season end and even that may not be enough.

So 9 from 15 from this run of 5 games would not facilitate 2ppg to season end?

I'm on mobile so bear with me one sec... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93884225&postcount=4176

There ye go..... We might well better 67 points, 9 from this 15 keeps us firmly on track to do so and actually a little ahead imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

markovics pass to hendo for the 1st was sublime... he's gonna be a great purchase over the next few seasons

I thought he was meant to be a waste and that we would definitely take the 20 mil back for him if we could...? Ahhh you guys confuse me :p

I seen a lot of him last season and thought he was great for such a young player and it's great he's starting to find his feet in the prem for us. Long may it continue.

Twould leave us with 11 games left, 23 points from them puts us on 67 points, that should clearly explain why 9 from the next 15 would be fine :)

So 9 from 15 from this run of 5 games would not facilitate 2ppg to season end?

I'm on mobile so bear with me one sec... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93884225&postcount=4176

There ye go..... We might well better 67 points, 9 from this 15 keeps us firmly on track to do so and actually a little ahead imo.

I'm not sure 67 will be enough.

I'm not sure 67 will be enough.

No doubt, we are 5 to 1 to be top 4, a 1 in 6 chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Wonder what way things with Flanagan will go.
    Great player but with missing nearly a season and contract nearly up hope things go the right way for him

Wonder what way things with Flanagan will go.
    Great player but with missing nearly a season and contract nearly up hope things go the right way for him

It's a no brainer to extend the contract imo from every perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6u3lKFS0c8

All Sakhos play yesterday, certainly proving people wrong myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I thought he was meant to be a waste and that we would definitely take the 20 mil back for him if we could...? Ahhh you guys confuse me :p

I seen a lot of him last season and thought he was great for such a young player and it's great he's starting to find his feet in the prem for us. Long may it continue.

A lot of players have been written off as failures including Can, Sakho and Markovic.

Thou must judge a player after ten games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Any posters here still hopeful of top 4, whilst I admire the positivity personally I just can't see the ground being made up.
    Too many sides to overtake with a minimal margin for error.
    Results at home to Hull, Sunderland, Everton and Villa in the 1st half of the season are what will ultimately cost Liverpool a cl slot.

All that said the longer they stay within touch the better as it keeps the season more meaningful (cups aside)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement