Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

I'm still hopeful :)
    In 5 games time if we've taken 9 points I still will be :)

My dream is S'ton 3rd and us 4th :D
    I would be so so happy

Augeo wrote: »

I would be so so happy

Could you not alter the dream so we come 3rd and Saints 4th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

tumblr_inline_ng1f6uXKHq1rlrs8r.gif

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Could you not alter the dream so we come 3rd and Saints 4th?

I'm too much a realist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

brevity wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_ng1f6uXKHq1rlrs8r.gif

I love that line. Say it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Hopefully city can beat arsenal today and both teams score, keeps us a point behind them and I'm quids in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fine as in..... 9 from 15 points from a tough 5 game run, keep us on track to hit 67 points, take points off rivals for 4th.

Are you expecting more than 9 points?

I'm as optimistic as they come but I'm also realistic.

9 from the next 15 brings Liverpool to 30 from 45 since the 3 defeats on the trot, beat spurs and west ham, and that'd be fine imo.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at Imo. :)

It shouldn't be about taking x amount of points from x amount of games, each game should be taken on it's own merit. If we beat Spurs, City and Southampton but lose to Everton an West Ham that's not fine, it's points dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I would be so so happy

This might be a good time for Dougal's dreams/reality sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augmerson wrote: »

LEAGUE CUP
    versus Chelsea (Home) 20th January
    FA CUP
    versus Bolton (Home) 24th January
    LEAGUE CUP
    versus Chelsea (Away) 27th January
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus West Ham (Home) 31st January
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Everton (Away) 7th February
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Spurs (Home) 10th February
    EUROPE
    versus Besiktas (Home) 22nd Feburary
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Southampton (Away) 26th February
    EUROPE
    versus Besiktas (Away) 26th Feburary
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Man City (Home) 1st March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Burnley (Home) 4th March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Swansea (Away) 14th March
    PREM LEAGUE
    versus Man Utd (Home) 21st March

13 games in 34 days I think? Including a trip to Turkey.

20th Jan - 21st March? More like 60 days mate, that's 2 full months. There was somebody the other day with similar maths saying that we had 13 games in the next 37.

Also you also have us playing Southampton and Besiktas both away on the same day Feb 26th. The Besiktas home game is the 19th, Southampton away is actually the 22nd, and Besiktas away is the 26th Feb.

Tough run I agree, but 13 in 34 would be nearly a game every 2 and a half days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

^^^^^

13 games in 60 days baring no replays 1 games every 4.5 days.

edit; add 2 more games in March on the 12th & 19th if we get past Besiktas.

So it could be 15 games in 60 days which could bring it to 1 game every 4 days baring replays in the FA Cup.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    20th Jan - 21st March? More like 60 days mate, that's 2 full months. There was somebody the other day with similar maths saying that we had 13 games in the next 37.

Also you also have us playing Southampton and Besiktas both away on the same day Feb 26th. The Besiktas home game is the 19th, Southampton away is actually the 22nd, and Besiktas away is the 26th Feb.

Besiktas, Southampton and Besiktas will be a tough week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I wish the rest of the defenders did this as often as Sakho tbh. Far too often we back off and it costs us. I actually really like that aggressive nature about Sakho. It doesn't work sometimes but more often then not it does and if the rest of the defenders could match it then we'd be in better shape.

Yesterday Cleverly's chance in the first half came from Skrtel backing off and not stepping up. Look how deep he is compared the the rest of the defensive line. It's about 3mins 15seconds into the MOTD highlights video Knex posted.

Skrtel is just behind Gabby in the middle.

Perhaps if other defenders were doing it then it'd pay off, but atm Sahko jumping the line for me causes issues.

Funnily enough the example you're citing is one of the highlights from last night where I thought Sahko was in the wrong - he was originally level (or thereabouts) with Skrtel and rushed the man, the man played a quick pass and Skrtel is immediately left with the choice to go to the man (thankfully Markovich got back so he didn't have to take this option) or stick with Benteke

If Sahko hadn't rushed in then two things happen for me 1) The same pass is played but Sahko can move towards Benteke, Skrtel closes the man on the ball. 2) The player shoots.

There's pros and cons to both - I mean if the player shoots and scores then Sahko y u no try to block is the question being asked so I can see why he did it and in fairness he didn't hesitate, he went for it which is positive. But while you might look at Skrtel being too deep, I see Sahko rushing out and leaving his defensive partner in a bind.

I'd love to hear Carra or Neville take a look at it like they did with where Lovren is going wrong.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's a very simplistic way of looking at Imo. :)

It shouldn't be about taking x amount of points from x amount of games, each game should be taken on it's own merit. If we beat Spurs, City and Southampton but lose to Everton an West Ham that's not fine, it's points dropped.

It's a simplistic view if you ignore what I posted ;)
    I specified beating Spurs and West Ham and taking 3 from the other 9 points would be fine :)

West ham, S'ton, Spurs, Everton & city - we will be seeind some draws and perhaps a defeat from that run of 5 games, no doubt.
    Indeed we can, beating Spurs and West ham is crucial, 3 points from the other 9 would be fine imo.

You than questioned what would that be fine for
    Fine for what exactly?
    Fine as in..... 9 from 15 points from a tough 5 game run, keep us on track to hit 67 points, take points off rivals for 4th.

Are you expecting more than 9 points?

I'm as optimistic as they come but I'm also realistic.

9 from the next 15 brings Liverpool to 30 from 45 since the 3 defeats on the trot, beat spurs and west ham, and that'd be fine imo.

I answered and asked you what would you be expecting, you've come back with this
    If we beat Spurs, City and Southampton but lose to Everton an West Ham that's not fine, it's points dropped.
    I already stated we beat West Ham & Spurs, you now are mentioning losing to Spurs.

I'm all for a debate but when you seem to be on another planet or after several drinks or are going through a bout of pure thickness there's little point.

Despite current form Everton is always a tough match, emotions run high in the city and anything can happen, they are a great club, their fans share homes with Liverpool fans, one can never pencil in 3 points against them or underestimate them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This thread needs to get back on track with Pandas and WWE (imo :))

3947165860_ea7f88e0ac.jpg

I answered and asked you what would you be expecting, you've come back with this I already stated we beat West Ham & Spurs, you now are mentioning losing to Spurs.

I am all for debate but if you're incapable of reading what I wrote either through over indulgence or a pure bout of thickness I don't see the point. (smiley)

I am all for debate but if you're incapable of reading what I wrote either through over indulgence or a pure bout of thickness I don't see the point. (smiley)

WEst Ham so, the same point applies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

3/4 months ago Sakho was the scapegoat. Now people are changing their mind after a half dozen games.

Prediction.

The same will happen with Lovren over time and everyone will wonder in a year or two what they ever saw in Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

daithijjj wrote: »
    3/4 months ago Sakho was the scapegoat. Now people are changing their mind after a half dozen games.

Prediction.

The same will happen with Lovren over time and everyone will wonder in a year or two what they ever saw in Skrtel.

Lovren has a ton more to prove after his horrendous start here, sakho was nowhere near as bad initially. The back 3 suits the current 3 defenders anyways, cant see lovren returning bar injuries. I say that as someone that ain't a big fan of skrtel either.

Prediction.

Fair chance that could happen.

Lovren was very good last season and it takes time to settle in to a new club. Plus I'm not sure how many games he played with Lucas in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought he was meant to be a waste and that we would definitely take the 20 mil back for him if we could...? Ahhh you guys confuse me :p

I seen a lot of him last season and thought he was great for such a young player and it's great he's starting to find his feet in the prem for us. Long may it continue.

Not exactly rocket science, he has made telling contributions in the last two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Trust City to mess up when we needed them to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »

Aye. Arsenal are being very un-Arsenal today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Prediction.

While I generally agree that it might play out like that, Sakho has at no stage looked as bad as Lovren.

I'd go as far to say that Sakho's worst performance is better than any of Lovren's for us.

People writing Sakho off was very little to do with his performances whereas Lovren has just been terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Not exactly rocket science, he has made telling contributions in the last two games.

Not surprising but illustrative how little thought some people put into their opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Indeed we can, beating Spurs and West ham is crucial, 3 points from the other 9 would be fine imo.
    I know what you're saying but if we're serious about qualifying for the Champions League we also need a result against Southampton and beat Burnley, avoiding a defeat against Man City would be a bonus.

Despite the relatively easy recent fixtures we are in the same position now that we were in after 19 games. We still have 5 points to make up on fourth but with only 16 games to play. Dropping points is a luxury we couldn't afford yet that is what we did against Leicester.

In order to have a realistic chance we need at least 9/12 from each of the next 4 series of league matches. He have to beat the teams below us in order to stay in touch with those above us. We have to win our home games and we have no wiggle room.

West Ham (H) : Need 3 points
    Everton (A) : Need 3 points
    Tottenham (H) : Need 3 points
    Southampton (A) : Realistically we need at least 1 point in this game

10/12

Man City (H)
    Burnley (H) : Need 3 points
    Swansea (A) : Need 3 points
    Man Utd (H) : Need 3 points

9/12

Can we do it? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Vicxas wrote: »

Do people still think we'll get top four? Yikes.

I welcome the recent momentum in so far as I hope we can take it into the cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Have 5 points to make up. Possible but I'd agree,unlikely.

Still...stranger things have happened. Arsenal just won at City so the world has kinda gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Top of the form table, 5 points off fourth and best defensive record since the united game since we settled on a formation and team. Form and momentum play a massive part. Best player about to make his return this week too.

We could be worse off...

top 4 odds

Arsenal 1/2
    Utd 1/2
    Saints 11/8
    Spurs 11/2
    Liverpool 11/2

It'd take a run similar to last season to get it.

Chances? Slim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont think we will make top 4, but its not outrageous to think we can make it.

Have 5 points to make up. Possible but I'd agree,unlikely.

Still...stranger things have happened. Arsenal just won at City so the world has kinda gone mad.

It's 6 points really with GD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chances? Slim

Exactly.

I'm hoping we push Utd Arsenal and Southampton and still be in contention until the last few games. A few cup runs would also be nice.

Aye. Arsenal are being very un-Arsenal today :(

I'll save the bizarro world pic til after February.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was me the other day, and I should have said 13 in 47, not 37. This was including the Villa game and a 5th round FA Cup match up to 4th March when we play Burnley. Still a taxing schedule.

Aye. I think this season was too tight to be so complacent in the early parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Prediction.

If the form and contribution of players was consistent they would be robots, and we would have very little to discuss. It's ok to state what you think about the team at any point in time, nobody is going to slaughter you if things change.. except the pedants of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'll save the bizarro world pic til after February.

I'll be waiting to remind you!
    #turdywatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it would surpass last seasons achievements i(i know we won nothing) to finish fourth this season imo ,all things considered ..

We need to hold on to markovic, Can and sterling.

Have a feeling they could be influential next season.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Perhaps if other defenders were doing it then it'd pay off, but atm Sahko jumping the line for me causes issues.

Funnily enough the example you're citing is one of the highlights from last night where I thought Sahko was in the wrong - he was originally level (or thereabouts) with Skrtel and rushed the man, the man played a quick pass and Skrtel is immediately left with the choice to go to the man (thankfully Markovich got back so he didn't have to take this option) or stick with Benteke

If Sahko hadn't rushed in then two things happen for me 1) The same pass is played but Sahko can move towards Benteke, Skrtel closes the man on the ball. 2) The player shoots.

There's pros and cons to both - I mean if the player shoots and scores then Sahko y u no try to block is the question being asked so I can see why he did it and in fairness he didn't hesitate, he went for it which is positive. But while you might look at Skrtel being too deep, I see Sahko rushing out and leaving his defensive partner in a bind.

I'd love to hear Carra or Neville take a look at it like they did with where Lovren is going wrong.

The back 3 need to move in unison. One hesitation be it someone slow to step up or someone stepping up too quickly fcuks the whole thing up.

Re Lovren. After the likes of his 'pass' for Utd's 3rd goal it was fairly simple to see where he was going wrong

everywhere

• Advertisement

Won't make 4th. Too much ground to be made up and not enough room for error (and there will be errors)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Won't make 4th. Too much ground to be made up and not enough room for error (and there will be errors)

Reluctantly agree. Can't remember but posted it here last night - think we needed circa 2.3 ppg to achieve a realistic points total for 4th. The idea that it'll be 67 at this stage is a bit laughable. The way United, Southampton and now Arsenal are banging through good form I'm not even sure if 70 will guarantee it.

It's just too big a gap for me to be able to say "we'll do this", regardless of good form. If we keep this up? Sure, anything is possible...but you're basically talking about losing one or two games and drawing one or two for the rest of the season, while winning the rest. Can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

D'Agger wrote: »

Good post. I agree Sakho can be a bit hasty at times when he should be more disciplined in holding the line as seen during the spell of Villa pressure. But thats what I like about him. That proactive aggression every team needs from a defender who have CL/title ambitions. Skrtel at times does it but is far too wreckless/headless and he isn't as good a tackler/interceptor as Sakho. However Sakho could do with a Carra/Hyypia presence beside him to get his head together during certain pressure spells. But no denying the teams defensive shape is helped by Sakho being brought back into the side though. Could (and will be) a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont think we will make top 4, but its not outrageous to think we can make it.

Well, decent few quid to be made if anyone feels strongly about our chances. The market doesn't see it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hidalgo wrote: »

This is it really. It's not impossible, but we'd need to play a lot better than we have even on our recent decent run. We can do it, but it's not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I think 4th is very much open and a possibility for us.

I don't see this huge run of form that UTD for example are on that says other than its far from over.

I can see southampton falling away, they are starting to pick up a few injuries which will affect them but definitely don't rule them out. Utd's form has them picking up barely 1.5 points per game at the moment whereas we are up on 2.33 points per game.

We are the form team at the moment apart from southampton and have our main striker returning. By the end of feb in fairness the picture may well be clearer. Arsenal and spurs against each other means points dropped by a rival at the moment. Same with West Ham and UTD.

We have West Ham, Spurs and southampton in that period, 2 of them at home. February will be crucial for us and we have games against UTD and arsenal the month after.

If we are in good shape after the arsenal game we have nice run in apart from chelsea in our last 7 games. Arsenal play Utd in their

I personally don't see the points total for 4th being huge this season because of how all the teams currently going for it are not pulling away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good to see Lucky Lloyd getting behind the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Good to see Lucky Lloyd getting behind the team.

He's being realistic. We're in 8th, five points off 4th.

We might have hit a purple patch recently, but we were fairly dire prior to that.
    While I'd be delighted to finish in the top 4, it seems unlikely currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What has tempered so-called realism got to do with supporting your team? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Well nobody is perfect so.....**** off like. You do the ****ing thing next time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement