Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Jose also said ... "Stevie had a chance to join a top club like Chelsea" .. so he got his usual jibe in aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

The only striker I want is Lacazette.
    He would be class for us.
    Come on FSG, show the dollar!

Goalkeeper someone like Begovic, but knowing FSG because he would cost about 15m, we will go and spend about 2m on Al-habsi of someone :(:(

Was watching the European football show last night and one of the hosts said the Lyon president is looking for a bale style pay out for lacazette.
    Now that more then likely won't happen but goes to show he will probably go for 40+million at this stage and not in this window.

Jose also said ... "Stevie had a chance to join a top club like Chelsea" .. so he got his usual jibe in aswell

Was delighted to see garcias goal is still hurting him aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Borini and Lambert scoring. Don't need to sign anyone lads, we're graaaaaand

I was joking Brendan. We could do with more players

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Meh, I don't really care what the Chelsea fans sing. Our lot will be giving them plenty of abuse too, so all's fair etc. As mentioned above, if some of their fans (not all obviously) are happy to make noise during a minutes silence for fans that dies watching football then there are no morals to appeal to on a more trivial matter I'd expect them to sing about.

I just hope we can repay the favour in the 3rd last game of the season and let City win the league after we take points off them. There is a bigger chance though that we could be the team they beat to clinch the title which wouldn't be pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Sure wasn't football invented at Stamford Bridge in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Talisman wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and put finishing in the top four out of your mind. The task of finishing fourth this season is by no means impossible, but the cup ties will prove to be a distraction.

The points totals for the teams in the top 10 after 22 games this season are not too different to those of the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons. 67-73 points will be required to finish fourth this season.

In 2011/12, Arsenal were fifth with 36 points, Tottenham were third on 46. They finished the season third and fourth, with 70 and 69 points respectively.

In 2012/13, Arsenal were sixth with 34 points, Tottenham were fourth with 40 points. Arsenal claimed fourth spot with 73 points, Tottenham finished fifth with 72 points.

Arsenal won more than 33 points in the last 16 games of both those seasons, so it would make them favourites to finish third this season. That leaves us competing with Man Utd, Tottenham and Southampton for fourth place.

We would be relying on those ahead of us to show similar form to last season for the final 16 games: Southampton (25 points), Man Utd (27 points), Tottenham (26 points). At the same time we have to produce championship winning form (33 points).

Fourth place may only require 67 points this season, but that's 32 points more than we currently have.

Im just curios as to why the form Arsenal showed 2 season ago makes them favourites to finish 3rd this season?

Why not last season when after 22 games they had 51 points but only gained another 28 points from their remaining 16 games.

We dont actually need to show championship winning form at all. I mean at this stage we had 43 points points and went on to win another 41 points which still didnt win the championship. We dont need to show that type of form which seems to be the reason people are writing us off.

The average for 4th place seems to be in around 70 points most seasons. However by this stage in most seasons gone by there was an established top 5 or 6, even at this stage last season there was a 6 points gap from 4th to 7th. In most season it was almost a mini league of 5 or 6 teams however this season it has extended to a top 8.

I just feel that its not beyond the realms of possibility at all as some seem to think. I just dont see any team at the moment putting enough of a run in to suggest they will definitely make top 4. We have our top striker returning and of all the teams its ourselves and Southampton showing the form.

Yes we will have more games than last season but thats why we have a bigger squad than last season which hopefully pays dividends. Others will have more games also, Spurs, Arsenal for example. Its not going to be easy but i just feel its not as impossible a task as some do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you think we have a shot, throw a few quid on it. Very generous price on offer.

Cups need to be the priority now imo. The league was lost before Novemver was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Regarding the Top 4, we could get it but it would require a near perfect run till the end of the season. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

Top 4 is a total toss up at the moment, Southampton have been great but they have no experience in this situation. Arsenal have been as poor as us but they always get there act together and get a spot, Spurs are Spurs, there is no guarantee even United will finish in the Top 4 they are pretty inconsistent too.

I know we have thrown away some stupid points this season but that 2 goal lead we let slip against Leicester will come back to haunt us and hurt our chances. If we had took those 3 points we would be sitting 6th breathing down United given us a much better chance.

I reckon it'll be

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Southampton/United - leaning more towards Southampton right now.

I predict we will finish 5th with hopefully a cup or 2 to go with it. Then next season with a settled squad we should be aiming for the league again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Arsenal are the only team i fell confident will get top 4.

The next 3-5 games could well decide it for us. If we slip up and fall further it will be a case of focussing on cups and we could well finish 7th or 8th.

But I do think we are good enough to overhaul Southampton and Spurs, even given the points advantage they hold. I truly believe we have better players once Sturridge is back.

United is a slightly different matter, although there are signs there that they still haven't quite clicked. We would need to beat them at home.

There's no reason we can't do it, particularly if Sturridge stays fit and shows good form. This will be key as Borini isn't good enough for the type of points tally we need.

We're not favourites but we have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Augeo wrote: »
    What Chelsea fans sing doesn't really matter :)

Couldn't agree more

I went along to the game against City at Stamford Bridge last season and found the crowd to be utter sh!te. The highlight was when City were about to bring on Navas and as he ran on as was announced over the PA the crowd starting booing away like mad and giving him dogs abuse. This player who was (as far as I know) playing his first game at the bridge.

Fair enough if he had broken someone's leg or something in the same fixture before. Boo him all you want then. But booing a player who has no previous....I just though "what a pack of muppets"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers seems to be unsure what to do. At one stage we were dead set on a new keeper, now Mignolet is doing better and all is forgiven.

Personally myself I'm not sure either. This season has been a mixed bag all round.

He is still **** with the ball at his feet. He has obviously been told to just boot it when ever he likes as evidenced by the last few games which has made him more comfortable. That though isnt how our manager wants to play. FSG obviously won't pony up another penny this window if we aren't looking at keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

brevity wrote: »

"If six Premier League teams made the playoffs each year, who knows what kind of landscape we would be looking at today."

So in other words if the rules were different then who knows how Liverpool might have got on under FSG!!

"FSG is bringing a proven championship-winning formula to Europe and it may be necessary to give them a little more time to perfect it"

Yes a championship winning formula in a completely different sport!

We all know what FSG are trying to do, we all understand it, invest in youth rather than buy established stars try and make them. It saves on wages, its less risk than buying established stars and then trying to flog them, the problem is we are never going to win a title with that approach under FSG. Thats the reality as i see it unfortunately.

When you look at UTD buying Van Persie when they did. That was a signing that won them a title, thats the type of signing we will never make under FSG. Utd wont make any money back or anything of the sort when they flog Van Persie if they do, but they won a title. Thats the difference.

Money talks in modern day football, those who spent the most win the most, its that simple unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Morzadec wrote: »
    The next 3-5 games could well decide it for us.

Said everybody, every week, in every season, EVER!

noodler wrote: »

That's the thing. If we drop a fair few points it will decide it for us, but if we do fairly well it won't so we'd be saying the same thing in a few weeks time. We have less wiggle room than those above us though so it might decide things. Our season could be effectively over in 6 or so games time though give the variety of competitions we are in, but hopefully won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We've gone on a great run of form recently and are still five points adrift with multiple teams infront of us. That's the issue - we need to be approaching perfect AND need numerous clubs infront to trip up.

We didn't survive the bad run of form - our league aspirations and CL were over due to it. Need to play the game we have left to play now.

Talisman wrote: »
    Fourth place may only require 67 points this season, but that's 32 points more than we currently have.

16 games left

Win 9, draw 5 & Lose 2 results in 67 points

I thought 67 points achievable prior to the Sunderland and Aston Villa games, it's more likely now imo :)

9 points from the next 15 is required to stay in the hunt though.

Personally I think a tad more than 67 points will be needed but I wouldn't discount Liverpool finishing on a tad more either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Our Year ked!

• Advertisement

16 games left

Win 9, draw 5 & Lose 2 results in 67 points

I thought 67 points achievable prior to the Sunderland and Aston Villa games, it's more likely now imo :)

9 points from the next 15 is required to stay in the hunt though.

Personally I think a tad more than 67 points will be needed but I wouldn't discount Liverpool finishing on a tad more either :)

I'd be shocked if 67 got top 4 and I'd probably be just as shocked if we managed to get that haul of points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

70+ for top 4 is more likely

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if 67 got top 4 and I'd probably be just as shocked if we managed to get that haul of points

Didn't we win 12 out of 14 or something after xmas? (36 points?)

Thats the kind of thing we would be needing.

Really need the others to experience additional drops in form because I don't think we are gonna make this on our own form alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We've gone on a great run of form recently and are still five points adrift with multiple teams infront of us. That's the issue - we need to be approaching perfect AND need numerous clubs infront to trip up.

We didn't survive the bad run of form - our league aspirations and CL were over due to it. Need to play the game we have left to play now.

I couldnt disagree more. I am not saying we are going to finish top 4 but this is sport and a lot is left to play for. Werent we 9 or 10 points behind Utd about a month ago and now its 5?

We will need to be near perfect though for it to happen. I expect Southampton to drop off in the next two months due to fatigue and squad depth. West Ham the same. I think Spurs will drop more points than the others so its Utd and Arsenal the target.

Its been a strange old season really...so i guess anything could happen. We would need to be on top form (and take advantage of any mistakes) to make a decent run at it and I'm not confident that we could maintain that level.

I hope Rodgers doesn't go ****ing about with the defence/midfield when certain players are back. he seems to have put together something that's making us win games and that is to be commended but he has been known to allow underperforming players walk back into the first 11...

67 might be enough for top 4. Not very likely, but about a 25% chance I reckon so not tiny.

• Advertisement

I do believe that the current Liverpool team have the capability to shock :)
    With Lallana, Can & Markovic having settled and Sterling improving finishing wise a very decent final third or so of the season wouldn't be overly surprising. Gerrard playing in a forward position is a decent weapon too and I haven't mentioned Sturridge yet :pac:

The alleged effect that lots of games early in the season had shouldn't effect us this time around as the team has settled and players have found their feet to an extent.

The next 5 PL games will tell a great deal, we'll be either still in the hunt or dead and buried for top 4.

Didn't we win 12 out of 14 or something after xmas? (36 points?)

Thats the kind of thing we would be needing.

Really need the others to experience additional drops in form because I don't think we are gonna make this on our own form alone.

Yeah it would take some sort of run like that I'd say.

It would involve beating the teams also in the hunt for top 4.

It's quite unlikely to happen.

However, if we win the next few we'll be closer as some of the others play each other.

I do believe that the current Liverpool team have the capability to shock :)
    With Lallana, Can & Markovic having settled and Sterling improving finishing wise a very decent final third or so of the season wouldn't be overly surprising. Gerrard playing in a forward position is a decent weapon too and I haven't mentioned Sturridge yet :pac:

The alleged effect that lots of games early in the season had shouldn't effect us this time around as the team has settled and players have found their feet to an extent.

The next 5 PL games will tell a great deal, we'll be either still in the hunt or dead and buried for top 4.

Your last sentence is certainly bang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2ppg would be the minimum I'd expect from the rest of the season. Anything less is just poor.

If Sturridge is fit for the rest of the season I'd expect more.

To put it into perspective, we had a 15/3/1 (WDL) record in the 2nd half of last season, or 2.53 ppg.

Gbear wrote: »
    2ppg would be the minimum I'd expect from the rest of the season. Anything less is just poor.

To put it into perspective, we had a 15/3/1 (WDL) record in the 2nd half of last season, or 2.53 ppg.

We also had a Suarez and a fit Sturridge. 2ppg would make it an excellent second half of the season, although still ultimately falling short probably.

• Advertisement

Are you serious? 2 ppg would be incredible. There are only 2 teams in the entire EPL that have 2 ppg or better in 22 games.

Your minimum expectations are not realistic at all. 2.53 ppg we got in last seasons run in cant be the benchmark for every season.

That extra 1ppg from last year has gone to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    Are you serious? 2 ppg would be incredible. There are only 2 teams in the entire EPL that have 2 ppg or better in 22 games.

Your minimum expectations are not realistic at all. 2.53 ppg we got in last seasons run in cant be the benchmark for every season.

If you break seasons down into sections, each section isn't going to be neatly arranged the same way. You'll have runs, even quite large ones, where you have crazy form and others that dip a bit.

For example, since the Palace game (which felt like a watershed moment in the league for us), we've played 10 games, 6/3/1 WDL, or 2.1 ppg however prior to that we had a pathetic 1.17.

Someone in the previous page said we needed near perfect form.

Last season's run was near perfect. We don't need that to get top 4 and certainly not to get 67 pts.
    While our last 10 games might not be indicative of the next 16, there's no reason to think our form will be significantly worse especially with Sturridge coming back.

If you break seasons down into sections, each section isn't going to be neatly arranged the same way. You'll have runs, even quite large ones, where you have crazy form and others that dip a bit.

For example, since the Palace game (which felt like a watershed moment in the league for us), we've played 10 games, 6/3/1 WDL, or 2.1 ppg however prior to that we had a pathetic 1.17.

Last season's run was near perfect. We don't need that to get top 4 and certainly not to get 67 pts.
    While our last 10 games might not be indicative of the next 16, especially with Sturridge coming back, there's no reason to think our form will be significantly worse.

Look at the quality of the teams we've played since we lost to Utd (Burnley, Leicester, Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, Arsenal), and look at the quality of the teams we play in the next 6 (West Ham, Everton, Tottenham, Southampton, Man City, Burnley). There is a marked difference. If we play as well in the next 6 as we did in the last 6 we are unbeaten for we will certainly not emerge from those games unbeaten, and after those 6 we have Swansea, Utd, Arsenal. I know over the course of the season it all averages out nicely, but the last 6 games are not an indicator of how I expect us to perform.

We will need to up our game significantly. In the last 6 unbeaten we were better than Villa and Sunderland overall but they had several great chances they squandered, but against Burnley and Leicester in particular we were pretty lucky to get 4 points.

brevity wrote: »
    That extra 1ppg from last year has gone to Barcelona.

Wasent sturridge not the player who earned us the most points last season no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

klose wrote: »
    Wasent sturridge not the player who earned us the most points last season no?

Maybe his goals were technically worth more points but Suarez's goals, assists and all round general play we're worth a lot more I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you think we have a shot, throw a few quid on it. Very generous price on offer.

Cups need to be the priority now imo. The league was lost before Novemver was over.

I think we have a shot, I just think it's accurately reflected by the bookies odds. Doesn't mean I won't cheer them on in hope, as the odds reflect, its far from impossible. Very little room for error which will ultimately be our downfall I suspect, but as long as we keep winning I'll keep up hope. Even if we do fall short it's still nice to see the team building towards something with results and performances improving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That was exceptional form to state the bloody obvious!

We're 5 points off 4th, 6 was the most I'd have accepted at this stage of the season and that wasn't a guarantee 2 months ago. Rodgers has stopped the rot, admittedly during a soft enough run of games but the away games in particular have been encouraging. I'd say he's done enough that he'll definitely be here this season, the next few weeks could put an end to any speculation in the Summer if it goes his way.

The difference this season is the point spread between 3rd and 8th, 6 teams in with a shout and the 2 teams people would have expected to show signs of falling away, haven't. My fear this season was that we'd be poor enough and both Arsenal and United would put in title challenges, thus making 4th a non event for us.

That hasn't happened and I think we are about as close as Rafa and Kennys last season, plus we've still the 2 cups and Europe, admittedly the EL but the prize is very much worth going after for a change.

We need Sturridge back badly to have any realistic chance over the next couple of months, it's as simple as that.

Things aren't as bad as they could have been. Rodgers has shown that he can set the team up to grind out results, a big criticism a couple of months ago. That's encouraging for the long term, though we know that isn't enough for some supporters.

Rodgers track record shows we improve as the season goes on, I'd expect the same again and at least be in with a chance of fourth come March.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These Lucas rumours just won't go away. It would be a sackable offence to let Lucas leave now.

Lucas 'wants to leave Liverpool' amid Inter Milan interest.
    Lucas Leiva wants to leave Liverpool and is intrigued by the prospect of a move to Inter Milan, sources have told ESPN.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has ruled out letting the midfielder go in this transfer window, but ESPN has been told the Brazilian is willing to move and that he feels undervalued at Anfield.

Lucas has been a key factor in Liverpool's recent revival and they have not lost in any of his last 13 appearances, but the Brazilian has not forgotten that he was jettisoned from the team last January, when Steven Gerrard was installed as the anchor midfielder, and rarely started until his recall in November.

Lucas considered going last summer, when Rodgers would have allowed him to leave, and his recent return to favour has not been enough to persuade him that his long-term future lies at Anfield.

Inter have been linked with him and the 28-year-old would consider joining a club of their size

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/391659.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Rodgers simply can't let Lucas go.

The club should be giving him a new contract not letting him go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sauces? ESPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Blatter wrote: »
    Maybe his goals were technically worth more points but Suarez's goals, assists and all round general play we're worth a lot more I'd say.

I did something up before on it and it doea show Danny scored more key goals .
    As in goals that where first in a game or turned a draw into 3 points .

Rodgers simply can't let Lucas go.

The club should be giving him a new contract not letting him go.

We still need to upgrade on him for next season but yeah madness to let him go.

I can't help but feel that his importance is more down to our lack of options in that position since Masch left rather than him being excellent at it.

Nonetheless, results (albeit against weak teams) in this run speak for themselves - we have no replacement and will not be able to get one this window.

I did something up before on it and it doea show Danny scored more key goals .
    As in goals that where first in a game or turned a draw into 3 points .

Did you check how many Suarez set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Did you check how many Suarez set up?

I just did it on goals scored in games . But when I get my laptop later I'll find the post and up date it with assists also . That's if I can find the post .

While our last 10 games might not be indicative of the next 16, there's no reason to think our form will be significantly worse especially with Sturridge coming back.

That all may be true but thats not what I responded to. You said that your minimum expectations is 2ppg for the next 16 games. You even went further and said you expected more if Sturridge is fit.

2ppg for the next 16 games would be exceptional for us and to expect more is really unrealistic. Based on this season that is title challenging form and we have rarely hit it in a small number of games let alone 16.

If thats what your expecting, be prepared to be disappointed.

Also 67 points wont get top 4 and I'd be surprised if we get to 67 points.

We don't have either of them at the moment so its kinda moot.

Perhaps Sturridge scored goals that got us more points, but would he have done that without Suarez's influence, I guess we will find out. (Although tbf he did score quite a few when Suarez was banned)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that last season ppg in the second half of the season is something very far out of our reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

5starpool wrote: »
    Look at the quality of the teams we've played since we lost to Utd (Burnley, Leicester, Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, Arsenal), and look at the quality of the teams we play in the next 6 (West Ham, Everton, Tottenham, Southampton, Man City, Burnley). There is a marked difference. If we play as well in the next 6 as we did in the last 6 we are unbeaten for we will certainly not emerge from those games unbeaten, and after those 6 we have Swansea, Utd, Arsenal. I know over the course of the season it all averages out nicely, but the last 6 games are not an indicator of how I expect us to perform.

We will need to up our game significantly. In the last 6 unbeaten we were better than Villa and Sunderland overall but they had several great chances they squandered, but against Burnley and Leicester in particular we were pretty lucky to get 4 points.

If we got 12+ points from our next six games, then I would say we have turned a corner and could potentially get top 4. But I cant see it happening, lot of form teams or just really good teams coming up. Plus the distraction of the three cups, and chances of picking up injuries will be increased.

This place will be a meltdown again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    That all may be true but thats not what I responded to. You said that your minimum expectations is 2ppg for the next 16 games. You even went further and said you expected more if Sturridge is fit.

2ppg for the next 16 games would be exceptional for us and to expect more is really unrealistic. Based on this season that is title challenging form and we have rarely hit it in a small number of games let alone 16.

If thats what your expecting, be prepared to be disappointed.

Also 67 points wont get top 4 and I'd be surprised if we get to 67 points.

How much did Rodgers get in the second half of his first season? Think it was something like 32/57, so we'll need better than that.

With games starting to run out running out we'd need 32/48 to stand any chance.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Has the recent improvement in form had anything to do with not having midweek CL games?

How will we go when the Europa League resumes and we're playing Thursday and Sundays while Southampton, United and West Ham don't have that distraction.

People may scoff at West Ham but they are showing consistency tis year and achieved results we haven't, e.g. beating Hull, Newcastle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement