Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my quick 2c on recent performances and our prospects for the rest of the season.

we're playing better, of that there's no doubt. and to be fair, we've been doing it without our best striker. the fact we didn't buy another top-tier striker is a relevant one that the management/ownership should answer for, but credit to the players that have been lumped with the task, it's looking better.

the reason for the mini-revival is so simple it's astonishing. and it's so simple, that 90% of us were saying it ages ago - some even in the throngs of our Premier League tilt last year...solidity. we have some solidity. and it's Lucas. he's not even that brilliant anymore, but his mere presence and tactical nous have forced teams to go somewhere other than straight through the centre when they attack us.

it's like Rodgers too 15/20 games this season to figure out why last season actually worked. he didn't get it. Suarez and/or Sturridge stretched the play, meaning the whole dynamic in a game was different. Gerrard's flaws weren't seen as much for one. And we scored goals, so most defensive deficiencies could simply be ignored.

The reason I don't think he fully understood why last year's tactics worked so well is that we seemed to be willing to leave Lucas high and dry up until about 10/12 games ago.

If we get another DM to share the load, and another striker in the January window (both of which i don't think we'll get), I think we could make a decent effort at one or 2 of the cups tbh. i think 4th is gone unless Sturridge turns into the best player in the world, and 2 of Spurs, Southampton, United and Arsenal fail. it's possible, but highly unlikely. but a good finish in the league is very important. we can't just limp to 8th. Dalglish found that out.

We should be aiming for a cup. that will give Rodgers a bit of time. last season got him some, but tangible silverware will do something extra. although after what happened with Dalglish, you never know.

as I've said for a while now though, Rodgers' reign will be defined by his signings. he needs Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, etc to really start to make big differences. Markovic is showing signs. Lallana has made differences already in games. Lovren has been appalling, but he hasn't had Lucas in front of him a lot. it needs to click. if it doesn't click by the start of next season Rodgers might be in trouble, because I don't think he's getting a warchest in the summer.

a Cup is achievable, and may be the best thing Rodgers can aim for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

5starpool wrote: »
    Look at the quality of the teams we've played since we lost to Utd (Burnley, Leicester, Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, Arsenal), and look at the quality of the teams we play in the next 6 (West Ham, Everton, Tottenham, Southampton, Man City, Burnley). There is a marked difference. If we play as well in the next 6 as we did in the last 6 we are unbeaten for we will certainly not emerge from those games unbeaten, and after those 6 we have Swansea, Utd, Arsenal. I know over the course of the season it all averages out nicely, but the last 6 games are not an indicator of how I expect us to perform.

We will need to up our game significantly. In the last 6 unbeaten we were better than Villa and Sunderland overall but they had several great chances they squandered, but against Burnley and Leicester in particular we were pretty lucky to get 4 points.

This stretch will be the acid test.

We're up in the air a bit at the moment. There's a bunch of questions that need to be answered about the team.

We need to know whether we can continue to defend reasonably well, whether Sturridge can stay fit, whether that and the general quality of our attacking play will translate to scoring enough goals (the Sunderland and Villa games look very different if you've got the quality to put them away) and whether all that will be enough to continue our form.

The point is though, even with an unbalanced squad and no striker that fits the team, we're playing fairly well, Rodgers is solving problems and we're getting results.
    I'm getting bogged down a bit in ppg but over the course of the season so far we're on about 1.6. I think it's fair to put that low number down to an anomalously terrible start after which we sorted out the worst problem areas.
    This formation with these players that have played lately might be more towards 1.8.
    It's not unreasonable to say that Sturridge - the perfect player for our system and one whose abilities our attack is built around, will improve us further.

The upswing in form, to me, looks more like regression to the mean than a flash in the pan.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    That all may be true but thats not what I responded to. You said that your minimum expectations is 2ppg for the next 16 games. You even went further and said you expected more if Sturridge is fit.

2ppg for the next 16 games would be exceptional for us and to expect more is really unrealistic. Based on this season that is title challenging form and we have rarely hit it in a small number of games let alone 16.

If thats what your expecting, be prepared to be disappointed.

Also 67 points wont get top 4 and I'd be surprised if we get to 67 points.

Fair enough. I went a bit overboard saying we should get more than that but with Sturridge fit I would expect roughly 2ppg. To me that's par.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

SlickRic wrote: »
    my quick 2c on recent performances and our prospects for the rest of the season.

we're playing better, of that there's no doubt. and to be fair, we've been doing it without our best striker. the fact we didn't buy another top-tier striker is a relevant one that the management/ownership should answer for, but credit to the players that have been lumped with the task, it's looking better.

the reason for the mini-revival is so simple it's astonishing. and it's so simple, that 90% of us were saying it ages ago - some even in the throngs of our Premier League tilt last year...solidity. we have some solidity. and it's Lucas. he's not even that brilliant anymore, but his mere presence and tactical nous have forced teams to go somewhere other than straight through the centre when they attack us.

it's like Rodgers too 15/20 games this season to figure out why last season actually worked. he didn't get it. Suarez and/or Sturridge stretched the play, meaning the whole dynamic in a game was different. Gerrard's flaws weren't seen as much for one. And we scored goals, so most defensive deficiencies could simply be ignored.

The reason I don't think he fully understood why last year's tactics worked so well is that we seemed to be willing to leave Lucas high and dry up until about 10/12 games ago.

If we get another DM to share the load, and another striker in the January window (both of which i don't think we'll get), I think we could make a decent effort at one or 2 of the cups tbh. i think 4th is gone unless Sturridge turns into the best player in the world, and 2 of Spurs, Southampton, United and Arsenal fail. it's possible, but highly unlikely. but a good finish in the league is very important. we can't just limp to 8th. Dalglish found that out.

We should be aiming for a cup. that will give Rodgers a bit of time. last season got him some, but tangible silverware will do something extra. although after what happened with Dalglish, you never know.

as I've said for a while now though, Rodgers' reign will be defined by his signings. he needs Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, etc to really start to make big differences. Markovic is showing signs. Lallana has made differences already in games. Lovren has been appalling, but he hasn't had Lucas in front of him a lot. it needs to click. if it doesn't click by the start of next season Rodgers might be in trouble, because I don't think he's getting a warchest in the summer.

a Cup is achievable, and may be the best thing Rodgers can aim for this season.

Im pretty sure Rodgers has said this himself. Whats baffling is he waited so long to get the solidity but I imagine he was hoping to push on through and thought the players he had could do a similar job.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Sturridge comes back... I have a feeling he will go back to 4-4-2.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-transfer-8470441

From todays presser:

Brendan Rodgers: "The likelihood he will stay at Lille. There was a chat between clubs but nothing more than that. He will likely stay at Lille."

Rodgers: "Our objective is still very much to win a trophy and qualify for the CL."

Brendan Rodgers on winning a trophy: Over the last 10 years they have shown once you win the first one, you can go on and sustain it. They will tell you that first trophy was the most important. We know if you want to win the competition you have to beat the best teams.

"When we last played them, we weren't in a good moment but we're developing, improving and confidence is very high."

"I was very pleased for Fabio. He's never given up in his time here. He's shown great personality to persevere. If they're working hard in training they will get a chance. We've shown that a number of times here. He understands tactically the game very well, what we're trying to do.

Every player has the opportunity to fight for their place in the squad, every player gets a chance to do their best and when they get on the pitch they can do their best."

Rodgers on Lambert celebration: It was a yellow card worth taking. You score a goal like that as a local boy... to celebrate with your own supporters and people... probably captured the spirit of the squad. Disappointed you get a card for that but one well worth taking.

"Every goal means a lot to all the players and obviously Rickie scoring for his club."

Daniel Sturridge "doing well". Not ready to feature yet but working hard, says Rodgers.

Rodgers: "Chelsea have great quality. But in last 6 games they won 2, drawn 2, lost two. If we don't win first leg it's not all lost.

Rodgers on Chelsea game: "We see this as an opportunity this season to win a trophy. It's a group that's forming and winning a trophy, a competition, could really bring the future of the team on. It's an opportunity to get to the final."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

I think everyone was agreed that we needed a new keeper and new striker.

So, of course, we're signing nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think everyone was agreed that we needed a new keeper and new striker.

So, of course, we're signing nobody.

Jordan Ibe and Sturridge..... New signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, the Jordan Ibe recall is just infuriating.

it's not for the good of the player, it's because we don't have the squad we thought we did, and we're not likely to be spending anything in January.

it would have been a hundred times better for him and the club for him to complete the season at Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Putting a lot of faith in Sturridge staying fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martin Odegaard signing for Madrid as had become likely - a big error on his part (or his dads), he just end up like Bojan re Barca/Ajax/Stoke a downward career path rather than an upward one.

Martin Odegaard signing for Madrid as had become likely - a big error on his part (or his dads), he just end up like Bojan re Barca/Ajax/Stoke a downward career path rather than an upward one.

Will be near impossible for him to break into/hold down first team place there.
    Madrid buy the best players for top money and filling out their squad with players who come through the youth system but often don't really get a chance while there.

Should have gone to Ajax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Ughh God that is bloody annoying. Bad decision by him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Will be near impossible for him to break into/hold down first team place there.
    Madrid buy the best players for top money and filling out their squad with players who come through the youth system but often don't really get a chance while there.

Should have gone to Ajax.

Playing the percentages I guess. Even the top talents at 15 are far from guaranteed to make it at the top level. If he had gone to Liverpool, Inter, Arsenal or Ajax even he may have got more chances but it's still more likely than not that by 21 he will have failed to make it. It's a cynical way of looking at it, but they are taking the payday now while it's available rather than giving him a bit of a better chance in 3-5 years time of still being a player who will make it at the top end of the professional game.

for every Messi there are probably 10 Freddy Adu's, most of whom we never hear about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We are looking at the next "Wonder Kid"... Teddy Bishop
    Yes, the big boys are circling around Ipswich’s 18-year-old tyro and cuddly ecumenical learning aid Teddy Bishop and it is Liverpool who are apparently in “pole position”, presumably having come through some sort of qualifying session faster than anyone else. The midfielder won’t be going anywhere this January, but could well be heading out of Portman Road in the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/19/football-transfer-rumours-liverpool-teddy-bishop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Ughh God that is bloody annoying. Bad decision by him.

Really bad. He won't see a minute of game time and will end up signing somewhere else in a few years.

Putting a lot of faith in Sturridge staying fit.

66798a0940a01c4ccc5c2be810d8a678.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lol, it's a great decision by him. Playing for a huge club with huge resources and playing alongside some of the best young players in the world with excellent coaching. He's 15 ffs, the last thing he needs to do is go to a club like us who will mis-manage horribly. I'd say they took one look at how we've used Sterling and run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I imagine, without even looking, that MR T bishop is another silky ball player with no physique and certainly not someone who'd be interested in defending and tackling. Is there any chance of developing/buying some unglamourous players who'll pitch in with tackling and shielding the back 4.

This kid is another will hughes, isn't he?

Lol, it's a great decision by him. Playing for a huge club with huge resources and playing alongside some of the best young players in the world with excellent coaching. He's 15 ffs, the last thing he needs to do is go to a club like us who will mis-manage horribly. I'd say they took one look at how we've used Sterling and run a mile.

He'll be lucky to get a look in for the first team though.

Toni Kroos (25), James Rodriguez (23), Sami Khedira (27), Luka Modric (29), Isco (22) and then who ever else they bring in for €70 million next summer.
    Apart from Modric they're all fairly young; they're also all world class midfielders.
    Bit of a tough ask for the lad.

Toni Kroos (25), James Rodriguez (23), Sami Khedira (27), Luka Modric (29), Isco (22) and then who ever else they bring in for €70 million next summer.
    Apart from Modric they're all fairly young; they're also all world class midfielders.

Why does he need one at 15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't know how we have used Sterling wrong? :confused:

Madrid is an awful move for that lad, he wont get near the first team no matter how good he is. If he wanted a big club Bayern or Barca would have been much better. Very little academy players make it at Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

All of those young players will be pushing 30 by the time this kid is about to push through to the first team

He's 15

He stated that he expects to play first team football - he's an international player you know! :)

It'll be interesting to see how long he spends at Madrid even when he is on their books. Expect loans and then a quick sale in three years.

In 4 years he'll be 20, Kroos will be 29, Rodriguez 27, Isco 26, & Khedira 31.

I just think that his career is going to be stifled by not getting proper first team football in his teens. If he was at Ajax if wouldn't be inconceivable he'd be playing Champions League games at 17/18.

At Madrid he'll do well to even get into the first team, never mind build a career there.

.............I'd say they took one look at how we've used Sterling and run a mile.

Sterling was used sparingly for a while after singing his contract last season. This year he was used quite a bit but sent off on a sun holiday after Christmas.

He's seen plenty of gametime in his favoured position and played a little in defence too. Also of late he's had the chance (due to necessity no doubt) to play as the attacking focal point rather than in a support role.

He's also made progress on his international career, I'd say young lads look at Sterling and wish they'll have similar opportunities.

Rodgers has also seemed to support him Sterling seems to have cleaned up his act regarding his social circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We've gone on a great run of form recently and are still five points adrift with multiple teams infront of us. That's the issue - we need to be approaching perfect AND need numerous clubs infront to trip up.

We didn't survive the bad run of form - our league aspirations and CL were over due to it. Need to play the game we have left to play now.

This is one way of looking at it....another is that we've gone on a great run of form recently and are now only 5 points behind.

Less than a month ago we were 9 points behind. That's quite a nice improvement in standings over the course of a month.

I'm not saying we're gonna get 4th, but we certainly have a decent auld shot at it, and if you're not gonna leave yourself open to hope when there's a fighting chance, then whats the ****in' point?
    (not you specifically lloyd, just people)

I wonder will Coutinho get a sun holiday/rested during the FA weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

We need to beat the teams above us before 4th really becomes an achievable target.

If we lose or even draw with West Ham in the next game we will be totally out of the running for 4th I believe.

If we beat them we still have to have one hell of a run to make 4th.

Oussama Assaïdi regrets joining Liverpool: "I should have gone to Ajax when I had the chance.

Now playing for Al-Ahli in the UAE

LOAN WATCH in new streamlined format

Luis Alberto Málaga - 78 min sub in 2-0 away defeat to Seville
    João Carlos Brighton - unused sub in 1-0 defeat to Brentford
    D. Origi Lille - no game this week due to injury
    Tiago Ilori Bordeaux - no game this week due to injury
    A. Wisdom West Bromwich - played full game in 0-0 away draw at Everton
    S. Coates Sunderland - unused sub
    Iago Aspas Sevilla - sub at 80 mins in 2-0 win against er Malaga
    L. Jones Cheltenham full game in 1-1 draw to Morecambe
    K. Stewart Cheltenham full game in 1-1 draw to Morecambe
    J. Dunn Cheltenham full game in 1-1 draw to Morecambe scoring from the peno spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Can't blame him really

Can't really blame Assaïdi for feeling that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd say they took one look at how we've used Sterling and run a mile.

How by buying Sterling at 15 and turning him into a regular England international at 19 and one of the most sought after young players in Europe?

Don't think it's gone too badly so far for master Sterling.

Every 15 year old in England is looking at Sterling and hoping they can do as well I'd say.

Cars, girls, 70k a week etc!

Every 15 year old in England is looking at Sterling and hoping they can do as well I'd say.

Cars, girls, 57 kids, 70k a week etc!

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's obviously two sides to this, but there have been some interesting studies in this area. For instance, students at the top Ivy league colleges who finish outside the top 10%, tend to have lesser careers than those who finish in the top 10% at far lesser schools - even though being in the middle of the pack at the best schools should theoretically put you far far higher than the best of more 'normal' schools.

Excelling at a good level is better for personal development and confidence than being mediocre at the elite level.

Sure he'll be playing with the very very best in the world but there's a greater chance of him becoming a little 'lost'. Going from being incredible at everything you've done in life to suddenly average in the context of your new surroundings can be quite damaging for people.

I think the better approach is what someone like James McCarthy did, finding the correct incremental step up where you gain the playing time and experience, remain one of the most important members of every team you play for, and when the time is right (if you're good enough) join the top level team as a more finished product.

• Advertisement

AC Milan Look To Take Liverpool Striker On Loan..
    AC Milan have reportedly enquired about taking Liverpool striker Fabio Borini on loan for the rest of the season.

The Rossoneri are said to be looking for attacking reinforcements following Fernando Torres’ move to Atletico Madrid, as well as Giampaolo Pazzini’s immanent departure from the club.

According to Tuttomercatoweb, Milan have asked Liverpool about Borini’s availability given the player seems to be very much out of favour at Anfield.

Borini has made 10 Premier League appearances this season for Liverpool, though only three were as a starter.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/01/ac-milan-look-to-take-liverpool-striker-on-loan/

I don't think Borini would turn down this move if it's really on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is one way of looking at it....another is that we've gone on a great run of form recently and are now only 5 points behind.

Less than a month ago we were 9 points behind. That's quite a nice improvement in standings over the course of a month.

I'm not saying we're gonna get 4th, but we certainly have a decent auld shot at it, and if you're not gonna leave yourself open to hope when there's a fighting chance, then whats the ****in' point?
    (not you specifically lloyd, just people)
    I'm hoping that we can win the LC and give the other two a right ****ing rattle sir.

AC Milan Look To Take Liverpool Striker On Loan..

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/01/ac-milan-look-to-take-liverpool-striker-on-loan/

I don't think Borini would turn down this move if it's really on.

Heh this could be interesting - "I'm glad I stayed to fight for my place" becoming "I'mathirdchoicestrikerletmeouttahere" and then Rodgers preventing him from leaving. I can't see him going given a) the lack of signings and b) NEVER loan a player to an Italian side.

Why would he? He has played 400 less minutes than Sterling so far. Not sure if it makes much of a difference but he is also 2 years older.

rob316 wrote: »
    Don't know how we have used Sterling wrong? :confused:

Madrid is an awful move for that lad, he wont get near the first team no matter how good he is. If he wanted a big club Bayern or Barca would have been much better. Very little academy players make it at Madrid.

We've basically tried our best to run him into the ground this season.

He stated that he expects to play first team football - he's an international player you know! :)

It'll be interesting to see how long he spends at Madrid even when he is on their books. Expect loans and then a quick sale in three years.

I'd be surprised if he honestly thinks at 15 he'll be a first team regular in the Real Madrid side.
    In 4 years he'll be 20, Kroos will be 29, Rodriguez 27, Isco 26, & Khedira 31.

I just think that his career is going to be stifled by not getting proper first team football in his teens. If he was at Ajax if wouldn't be inconceivable he'd be playing Champions League games at 17/18.

At Madrid he'll do well to even get into the first team, never mind build a career there.

The vast majority of great players don't get much game time in their teens. Those players that do are the expectations, not the rule. Not only that but he has 5 years left until his teens are over. 3 years training at Madrid and then a few loans is how his path will go.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Sterling was used sparingly for a while after singing his contract last season. This year he was used quite a bit but sent off on a sun holiday after Christmas.

He's seen plenty of gametime in his favoured position and played a little in defence too. Also of late he's had the chance (due to necessity no doubt) to play as the attacking focal point rather than in a support role.

He's also made progress on his international career, I'd say young lads look at Sterling and wish they'll have similar opportunities.

Rodgers has also seemed to support him Sterling seems to have cleaned up his act regarding his social circles.

I'd say young lads who only see €€€€€ signs look at Sterling enviously. This Norwegian lad seems more interested in developing his career though.

How many players have played as much game time as Sterling at his age and had a long and successful career playing regular football?
    How by buying Sterling at 15 and turning him into a regular England international at 19 and one of the most sought after young players in Europe?

Don't think it's gone too badly so far for master Sterling.
    Every 15 year old in England is looking at Sterling and hoping they can do as well I'd say

Cars, girls, 70k a week etc!

Exactly. If your only interest in football is cars, girls and money then turning out like Sterling and developing into Michael Owen later in your career is a dream come true. If you actually want a good football career playing week in, week out at the top of the game into your late 20s then it's a pretty horrible route to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

gafferino wrote: »
    Why would he? He has played 400 less minutes than Sterling so far. Not sure if it makes much of a difference but he is also 2 years older.

On top of the fact he didn't play in the World Cup.

Google Translate used.

Another young player linked....Mario Lemina
    Bought by Marseille 4 million in the summer of 2013 in Lorient, Mario Lemina was tenured at six times in L1 this season. Reportedly, the middle Hopes of 21 years under contract until 2018 still interested in Liverpool, who learned about his profile.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Liverpool-se-renseigne-sur-lemina/529447

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    Look at the quality of the teams we've played since we lost to Utd (Burnley, Leicester, Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, Arsenal), and look at the quality of the teams we play in the next 6 (West Ham, Everton, Tottenham, Southampton, Man City, Burnley). There is a marked difference. If we play as well in the next 6 as we did in the last 6 we are unbeaten for we will certainly not emerge from those games unbeaten, and after those 6 we have Swansea, Utd, Arsenal. I know over the course of the season it all averages out nicely, but the last 6 games are not an indicator of how I expect us to perform.

We will need to up our game significantly. In the last 6 unbeaten we were better than Villa and Sunderland overall but they had several great chances they squandered, but against Burnley and Leicester in particular we were pretty lucky to get 4 points.

All of this chatter about runs of form and speculation as to how well we need to do in the next X matches to finish 4th would all be redundant if someone took on Morzadec's role of last year, I'm not volunteering by the way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Done.

B7vL-BRCUAA6TMK.jpg

Done.

B7vL-BRCUAA6TMK.jpg

Good for him.

It's a good move.

Sortof.

They're a bit of a shambles but I'm sure they'll sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

the kelt wrote: »
    Im just curios as to why the form Arsenal showed 2 season ago makes them favourites to finish 3rd this season?
    It's not just the form they showed two seasons ago. Their average points total for the last 16 games of the season for the past 10 years has been 31. Arsenal under performed last season and despite their collapse they finished within 4 points of their highest points finish in the previous ten seasons getting 28 points in the final 16 games.

If they perform at a similar level to last season they will finish on 67 points. If they have an average season then they will finish on 70 points. I expect them to have a better than average season.

In order to beat 70 points we need 36 points from the last 16 games. This means we need to deliver results like the run-ins of 2014, 2009, 2008 & 2006 which were also our best seasons in the last 10 years. That's not likely to happen given the available personnel which is why we are not competing with Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Gbear wrote: »
    This stretch will be the acid test.

We're up in the air a bit at the moment. There's a bunch of questions that need to be answered about the team.

We need to know whether we can continue to defend reasonably well, whether Sturridge can stay fit, whether that and the general quality of our attacking play will translate to scoring enough goals (the Sunderland and Villa games look very different if you've got the quality to put them away) and whether all that will be enough to continue our form.

The point is though, even with an unbalanced squad and no striker that fits the team, we're playing fairly well, Rodgers is solving problems and we're getting results.
    I'm getting bogged down a bit in ppg but over the course of the season so far we're on about 1.6. I think it's fair to put that low number down to an anomalously terrible start after which we sorted out the worst problem areas.
    This formation with these players that have played lately might be more towards 1.8.
    It's not unreasonable to say that Sturridge - the perfect player for our system and one whose abilities our attack is built around, will improve us further.

The upswing in form, to me, looks more like regression to the mean than a flash in the pan.

Fair enough. I went a bit overboard saying we should get more than that but with Sturridge fit I would expect roughly 2ppg. To me that's par.

Right, but 2ppg from here on won't be enough. 2ppg is the goal from day 1 of the season. Simple fact is we have too far to make up. We'll probably hit around 60-66 now. Will be a bit off pace. Might make 6th, might be 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gbear wrote: »
    They're a bit of a shambles but I'm sure they'll sort themselves out.

Big adjustment for him then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

10690189_919592704739406_1535472496451350370_n.jpg?oh=e8c59d097e2112503ca27fd9c2d3b76a&oe=5566952D&__gda__=1432315797_3d629fc6b054482aab276465795d5620

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement