Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

SlickRic wrote: »
    I can't tell you how delighted I am for Lucas after being once again written off.

What a fúcking man.

I had written him off, now he has to be the first name on the team sheet. Fair play to him, great turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

http://zippy.gfycat.com/FrighteningCrispChrysalis.webm

Some pass there by Can, very mature head on him for a 21 year old - didnt drop the head after the Peno incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I thought Lucas was finished. I'd supported him through thick and thin but finally I thought that getting back to his level was a bridge too far.

I even went as far to suggest we may as well replace him with Rossiter. :o

This comeback trumps all the others. He hasn't been world class ever week and he might need more rest than he used to but more and more he's hitting that level we tantalizingly saw before his injury.

I'm ****ing delighted for him. He's a gent, a leader and if we manage to hang on to him and reward him for sticking it out when things were looking grim it'll make for one of the most heartening chapters in the recent history of this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Some credit to the manager. I think he deserves a bit.

Bravo Brendan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »
    £1m!!! What?!?!

Go for nothing in a while and he wouldn't be getting game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Augeo wrote: »

Exactly, Tiger beer is covered for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Give sterling a new contract 6 years.
    We need him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Augeo wrote: »

He's a tidy player, he'll do well at AC Milan, we let him go for a song. Unbelievable really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can't wait to see what this team is like with Sturridge in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

He's a tidy player, he'll do well at AC Milan, we let him go for a song. Unbelievable really.

Poor enough attitude and has never really shown anything at senior level. Wouldn't have him over any of our options out there tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Are Lovren and Mario injured or just too sh1te to make the squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Are Lovren and Mario injured or just too sh1te to make the squad?

Both I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Balotelli is sick according to his Instagram.

And Lovren is out parking cars in the car park. Even then he can't stay in the box...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It was a welcomed good performance but the way some are going on in here its as if we beat Chelsea 5-0.

We drew 1-1 at home lads, nothing to be getting too excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It was a welcomed good performance but the way some are going on in here its as if we beat Chelsea 5-0.

We drew 1-1 at home lads, nothing to be getting too excited about.

This is one of those times where the performance, and not losing, were important. Things have been going better of late with improved performances. The worry was the level of opposition we played well against.

The fact we were able to play to as good, or better a standard than we've doing is a good boost going into a run of fixtures that will make or break the season. The FA cup, the second semi, and then a cluster of games against those around us. If we put in this level of performance in those games, this season might well be salvageable.

Let's not forget that a)Chelsea are genuinely a better team, and b) they're the best defensive team in the league, if not the world.

Obviously we need to keep it up, but this was a big test that we did well in. Take the pleasure and joy when you can, it doesn't always have to be a 5-0 thrashing to make people happy. (I don't think anyone has been getting toooo carried away to be fair)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is one of those times where the performance, and not losing, were important. Things have been going better of late with improved performances. The worry was the level of opposition we played well against.

The fact we were able to play to as good, or better a standard than we've doing is a good boost going into a run of fixtures that will make or break the season. The FA cup, the second semi, and then a cluster of games against those around us. If we put in this level of performance in those games, this season might well be salvageable.

Let's not forget that a)Chelsea are genuinely a better team, and b) they're the best defensive team in the league, if not the world.

Obviously we need to keep it up, but this was a big test that we did well in. Take the pleasure and joy when you can, it doesn't always have to be a 5-0 thrashing to make people happy. (I don't think anyone has been getting toooo carried away to be fair)

I agree. I was delighted with the performance but some over-did the praise a bit I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I agree. I was delighted with the performance but some over-did the praise a bit I think.

Considering we've been spitting bile for most of the season. A little praise won't go a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's no over reaction. The team put on a great performance, no one is saying any more than that.

There's no over reaction. The team put on a great performance, no one is saying any more than that.

Talking of winning the league next year after one good performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Perhaps they meant league cup.

We're gonna win the league (cup)
    We're gonna win the leauge (cup)
    And now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna believe us
    And now you're gonna believe uuuuuuuuuus
    We're gonna win the league (cup)!

One person said it probably with tongue in cheek. Don't worry too much about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    One person said it probably with tongue in cheek. Don't worry too much about it.

No, that one person was serious and spoke on behalf of all Liverpool fans everywhere, which is exactly how it should be communicated to all fans of other clubs.

That's how these guys roll, yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Who's this Sterling chap everyone is going on about..?

Is he worth taking a punt on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Some credit to the manager. I think he deserves a bit.

Bravo Brendan.

What are you talking about? This is in spite of Rodgers sure. :pac:

6 months left on contract, he wanted to go, he's presumably not shown enough to forece the club into giving him the gametime he wants to sign a new contract.

It's not a huge issue, I wish him well etc but I don't think too many people think he could make an impact on the field for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hendos 8th assist last night of the season, all from play i believe? Open to correction on that but the lad has notched it up another level for me, loved when he squared off to costa. Could end up around the 15 mark if we go far in competitions this season. Not bad for a lad who runs from the kness.

Whilst I'm delighted for Lucas do people really believe he should be given a new contract based on one game....

He will have a run of 3-4 good games then 10-12 were he is non existent. Bite the bullet and get a replacement in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We will win the league next season. In fact, you could call it our year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

klose wrote: »
    Hendos 8th assist last night of the season, all from play i believe? Open to correction on that but the lad has notched it up another level for me, loved when he squared off to costa. Could end up around the 15 mark if we go far in competitions this season. Not bad for a lad who runs from the kness.

Love Hendo, think he's class and potentially build the team around him.

That said, while he passed to Sterling, while technically it will go down as an assist, it's stretching it a little. When does the final pass stop becoming an assist? like Bale's goal last year in the Copa, did the fella that passed to him get an assist? Or the fella that passed to Maradona for his amazing dribble goal against England. Sterling should get the assist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

not yet wrote: »
    Whilst I'm delighted for Lucas do people really believe he should be given a new contract based on one game....

He will have a run of 3-4 good games then 10-12 were he is non existent. Bite the bullet and get a replacement in.

It's not one game, he's a player we need. Or we need someone as disciplined and intelligent and combative as him before we replace him. He's way better than people understand or give him credit for. Liverpool have always needed a player like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Big games like last night, United away and Arsenal at home, all have exposed badly our need for a top level striker similar to Sturridge. Games we should have won with better finishing.

Sterling has done well for me, but he cant lead the line, his goal last night showed he needs to be running from deep full pelt into the box and no one can touch him, that is when he is at his most dangerous. In the midfield diamond his runs through midfield were devastating last season.

It was a great performance but sadly it will probably be curtains at Stamford Bridge, still if we play like we did last night you never know. The game next week will be a lot more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Last night was probably the first time this season we have come close to the levels of play from last season in my opinion.

The first half was cagey enough and i felt we were being shifted wide too often where it suited Chelsea. However at half time Rodgers seemed to shift things. We seemed to go at them straight through the middle and down the left. Everything was going at them down the left and through the center and Chelsea were struggling, eventually Mourinho had enough of it and brought Azpilecueta on there to stop the flow of attack. Coutinho sat for the 2nd half out left, Moreno was out left and when Hendo, Gerrard and Sterling attacked it was inevitably either center or left of center.

But it was a throw back to last season in terms of work off the ball, pressure from the front, chelsea players not getting time to settle with the chelsea player in possession being hounded sometimes by 2 or 3 liverpool players. There was an aggression in our play last night that was great to see. One thing with last night though is it shows that neither Lambert, Borini or Balo can fit that system, through them out there last night and it all falls apart in my opinion. Thats why we badly need an alternative to Sturridge and Sterling who provide the same level of threat with their pace.

But Chelsea do what they are good at. Shut up shop, ride out the storm and if they do get breached then they have a world class goalie to bail them out.

Next week will be intriguing, will Chelsea line up with 2 DM's again at home? If they dont and we bring the same level of performance will we get at least that one goal? Will Sturridge be back? Last night will have Mourinho thinking a little harder about the return game.

Its advantage Chelsea but its far from cut and dry, particularly if we can get Sturridge back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's been good all season. He's had maybe one or 2 relatively poor performances but fatigue probably played a part.

It's not the first time I've felt like he could be getting back to the level he was at.

If we can find someone better, then by all means get them. If Lucas can't fit into the team after that then we can think about moving him on.

Thinking about where the squad is at, I don't think we're that badly set at DM.
    Can looks like a complete footballer and if he can play CB, he could do a job at DM.
    Then we have Allen in a pinch and Rossiter for emergencies.

Ideally we'd still get at least 1 more midfielder in the summer, but I think we're at a level where we can pour all our efforts into getting a goalscorer first and fixing whatever else once that's done.
    Despite our relatively good recent form, we still couldn't score in a brothel. Even with Sturridge available, we have very few goals spread through the team. That's the most pressing concern IMO.

Even Mignolet has looked a bit better lately. Incredible that a keeper stops looking like muck when the defence in front of him doesn't **** their pants 10 times every game.
    Again, if at all possible, a significant improvement is required.

But our entire style of play doesn't hinge on 1 DM or our GK whereas we're completely pissing in the wind without Sturridge.

He's been largely very good for the last couple of months. If you haven't noticed that then you will never appreciate him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Lucas has absolutely earned a new contract. It's amazing to think he's only 28 considering how long he's been with Liverpool.

If we can get a new contract sorted for Lucas and get in a similar midfielder during the summer who's on the rise to rotate with Lucas that would be that position sorted.

Lucas still has 2-4 years of top level football in him if not more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Some people still not accepting just how good Lucas is.........what more does the guy need to do to win over the haters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So who is going to drop to the bench when Sturridge is back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So who is going to drop to the bench when Sturridge is back?

Gerrard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

The only problem with lucas is he lacks so much creativity when he receives the ball high up the pitch, constant sideways and backways passes. Granted hes first job is sitting in front of the defence and cleaning up but in the 3421 he is seeing a lot of the ball and not doing much with it.
    That being said im delighted with him so far, do think he might leave in the summer however giving the amount of grief he gets on social media and that rodgers initially did not seem to fancy him, might feel undervalued and might ask to leave?

It's not one game, he's a player we need. Or we need someone as disciplined and intelligent and combative as him before we replace him. He's way better than people understand or give him credit for. Liverpool have always needed a player like him.

I don't dispute the above, but since he done his cruciate he is not the same player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tok9 wrote: »
    Lucas has absolutely earned a new contract. It's amazing to think he's only 28 considering how long he's been with Liverpool.
    Only 28, but has the legs of a 38 year old. Don't get me wrong, I like Lucas a lot, but he just isn't the player he used to be. As a squad player, yes, there could be a place for him. But for us to compete at the highest level, we need quality.

Only 28, but has the legs of a 38 year old. Don't get me wrong, I like Lucas a lot, but he just isn't the player he used to be. As a squad player, yes, there could be a place for him. But for us to compete at the highest level, we need quality.

I don't agree.

I think the form he is showing now is up there with Lucas pre injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'm one of Lucas biggest critics (the backwards passing, the constant giving away of needless free kicks, running through treacle etc) but the last few games he's been excellent for us. Last night as well he was very positive in his passing. First time balls around the corner, always seemed to be looking for the forward pass, getting stuck in when needs be. Maybe he's doing an adebayor on it with the new contract who knows, but i hope he continues this form till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would have agreed with that a few months ago. But I think now it looks like he needed a run of games to get full fitness. He was everywhere last night & was as good as he ever was.

Lucas isn't in urgent need of a new contract, his current one runs until summer 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'm one of Lucas biggest critics (the backwards passing, the constant giving away of needless free kicks, running through treacle etc) but the last few games he's been excellent for us. Last night as well he was very positive in his passing. First time balls around the corner, always seemed to be looking for the forward pass, getting stuck in when needs be. Maybe he's doing an adebayor on it with the new contract who knows, but i hope he continues this form till the end of the season.

He was doing all of that pre-injury. It's got nothing to do with playing for a new contract IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178479-rodgers-big-display-proves-our-chances

In the build-up to the game, Rodgers had spoken of his belief that the 'identity' of his Liverpool team was beginning to return after the eight-match unbeaten run they went into their latest run-out looking to maintain.

The Northern Irishman explained: "There are different types of coaches. I watch a lot of the games and I hear the analysts talking about teams who are outstanding defensively, and who have defensive coaches.

"I am from a different bottle than that - I want to be creative and offensive, but always with tactical discipline in the game. I felt for two years we really worked towards that.

"In the first period of this season, we had been nowhere near that, firstly in terms of our pressure and intensity in our pressing, and then the creation of chances - it was non-existent, really.

"We got off to a really slow start, but we've been able to work well, analyse the team and the group of players we have in order to get the best out of what we've got.

"Which meant changing the system - the system can be whatever it needs to be. What is important for how I work is the style and the model of the game.

"Now you start to see that returning in the team, and that's the most important thing. The system can be 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3, whatever, but what is important for us and how we work is the level and the style of our football.

"That has shown that it can win games - and win a lot of games. We're starting to see that now, hence the reason results have picked up."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement