Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I've always found this notion that he always passes backward or sideways a bit of a misnomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is one of those times where the performance, and not losing, were important. Things have been going better of late with improved performances. The worry was the level of opposition we played well against.

The fact we were able to play to as good, or better a standard than we've doing is a good boost going into a run of fixtures that will make or break the season. The FA cup, the second semi, and then a cluster of games against those around us. If we put in this level of performance in those games, this season might well be salvageable.

Let's not forget that a)Chelsea are genuinely a better team, and b) they're the best defensive team in the league, if not the world.

Obviously we need to keep it up, but this was a big test that we did well in. Take the pleasure and joy when you can, it doesn't always have to be a 5-0 thrashing to make people happy. (I don't think anyone has been getting toooo carried away to be fair)

Speak for yourself, I'm over the moon and we are definitely going to win the league twice this year and the League next year.

tumblr_likmsbsY0M1qgt3ngo1_500.gif

tumblr_mzvntr58231rjatglo1_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I'm over the moon and we are definitely going to win the league twice this year and the League next year.

tumblr_likmsbsY0M1qgt3ngo1_500.gif

tumblr_mzvntr58231rjatglo1_r1_400.gif

Also making a good start towards beating Arsenal to the calender league trophy...we better get working on those celebrations.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Last night was an excellent performance if not an excellent result. If we can play like that more often than not when we have a recognised striker on the pitch (Sturridge) then we will give the top 4 a good rattle. I wish I was convinced we will play with that desire, hunger and intensity against Bolton and West Ham (and so on) that we showed last night. We are definitely in a happier place overall than 6 weeks ago thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't agree.

I think the form he is showing now is up there with Lucas pre injuries.

But that form can and will be very patchy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Play like that at home in the rest of our cup games in the FA and Europa and very few teams will be able to live with us.

I would love if we just bought one decent striker that fits our side before the window closes it would go along way to adding a cup or 2 this season. I hope Sturridge will be ok now but for all his quality he just cant be relied upon.

The cups should be the priority now, winning the Europa League would give us the same reward as getting 4th spot in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

well men, who are we playing next?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

:pac:

B72V9xMIcAAp2bh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I would be very surprised if we signed anyone this Window. Maybe a keeper will come in but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

When Lallana was coming on I was fully sure it would be for Coutinho. I was already thinking, ffs he has been really good the last 5 don't take him off. Gerrard's number going up was a complete shock but obviously the correct decision. First time I remember seeing the manager make it. Normally he is left on the pitch regardless for the 90 minutes but this felt like some kind of turning point, regardless of how it has been reached it was great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

SlickRic wrote: »
    He was doing all of that pre-injury. It's got nothing to do with playing for a new contract IMO.

Who knows. He hasnt played this well since the injury. And his contract is nearly up.

kop77 wrote: »
    :pac:

B72V9xMIcAAp2bh.jpg

And still didnt get a free for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

last night was an excellent, encouraging performance, but there are a few truths that ring VERY true as a result.

firstly, there is little doubt that Rodgers is a superb coach. he understands the technical side of the game, is good at coaching the nuances of technique, movement and tactical awareness, and all of those things.

by his own admission now, he doesn't really focus on the defensive aspect of things as much, which is a flaw, but we'll let that go for a second.

yesterday also made it all the more clear just how bad our business was in the transfer window. yes, it can be argued that Rodgers has coached the current crop out of a little hole for the time being, but for all the praise he might receive for that, he must take his share of the flak for the lack of firepower that exists because of our business in the summer. it's appalling.

we pretty much played Chelsea off the park, but only drew 1-1 for no other reason than we didn't replace Suarez. now, I can already hear people saying "you can't replace Suarez". True, but you can try, and you can spend the money needed to get in the calibre of player that can replace what he offered.

Markovic seems to be slowly coming good. Can looks quite assured, and Lallana hasn't let anyone down. but we're missing that firepower, and it's a mistake that has cost us big-time this season, and could still cost Rodgers in the end.

we have to buy established, difference-making players at some point, or it'll forever be too much of an uphill climb to get to where we want to be.

brevity wrote: »
    I've always found this notion that he always passes backward or sideways a bit of a misnomer.

He took the easy option a lot of the time passing the ball back to where it came from, never got his head up, his first instinct was safety first. Probably more to do with Rafa's coaching than anything else. But finally he's now beginning to do the things we've been crying out for him to do for years.

He looking for the foward pass. If its not on he'll go safe which is grand. But his first thought now is to try to be pro-active. There's a big difference in his play to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

last night was an excellent, encouraging performance, but there are a few truths that ring VERY true as a result.

firstly, there is little doubt that Rodgers is a superb coach. he understands the technical side of the game, is good at coaching the nuances of technique, movement and tactical awareness, and all of those things.

by his own admission now, he doesn't really focus on the defensive aspect of things as much, which is a flaw, but we'll let that go for a second.

yesterday also made it all the more clear just how bad our business was in the transfer window. yes, it can be argued that Rodgers has coached the current crop out of a little hole for the time being, but for all the praise he might receive for that, he must take his share of the flak for the lack of firepower that exists because of our business in the summer. it's appalling.

we pretty much played Chelsea off the park, but only drew 1-1 for no other reason than we didn't replace Suarez. now, I can already hear people saying "you can't replace Suarez". True, but you can try, and you can spend the money needed to get in the calibre of player that can replace what he offered.

Markovic seems to be slowly coming good. Can looks quite assured, and Lallana hasn't let anyone down. but we're missing that firepower, and it's a mistake that has cost us big-time this season, and could still cost Rodgers in the end.

we have to buy established, difference-making players at some point, or it'll forever be too much of an uphill climb to get to where we want to be.

The only thing I would add to that is yes we played Chelsea off the park for the majority of the game but they are incredibly hard to break down and one of the best defensive teams in Europe - having said that we should have won by at least one goal given the chances we had.

5starpool wrote: »
    Lucas isn't in urgent need of a new contract, his current one runs until summer 2017.
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Who knows. He hasnt played this well since the injury. And his contract is nearly up.

No it's not, as I posted not that long ago.

This'll turn out like the away goals in the LC confusion again with people posting the facts and others not reading them.

No it's not, as I posted not that long ago.

This'll turn out like the away goals in the LC confusion again with people posting the facts and others not reading them.

So...If I'm reading this right...what you're saying is his contract is nearly up right? :P

So let me get this right.

Away goals don't count at all even after extra time and Lucas current contract runs out in June..

So...If I'm reading this right...what you're saying is his contract is nearly up right? :P

Why I oughta...

So let me get this right.

Away goals don't count at all even after extra time and Lucas current contract runs out in June..

Look you, cease this immediately, and don't post the same crap from your other 15 accounts either.

• Advertisement

Look you, cease this immediately, and don't post the same crap from your other 15 accounts either.

Lol.

It's 16 actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If Rodgers is now admitting that he's not really focussed on the back then it's a major flaw that will hinder long term success.

Might pick up a league/FA cup here and there but will be found wanting.

Every great side has been built from the back especially league title winning ones.

Even great Liverpool sides of old were like this (In 1982 conceded only 18 league goals).

I really think Rodgers has to correct this.

murpho999 wrote: »

To be fair a dedicated DM and the 3 CBs formation is a huge step, it also facilitates attacking with the wing backs/forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair a dedicated DM and the 3 CBs formation is a huge step, it also facilitates attacking with the wing backs/forwards.

Yes, but I'm referring more to their coaching rather than line ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

He took the easy option a lot of the time passing the ball back to where it came from, never got his head up, his first instinct was safety first. Probably more to do with Rafa's coaching than anything else. But finally he's now beginning to do the things we've been crying out for him to do for years.

He looking for the foward pass. If its not on he'll go safe which is grand. But his first thought now is to try to be pro-active. There's a big difference in his play to be honest.

Lol, we have this every time Lucas plays an extended run in the team and our results improve. The guys who berated him are never wrong. Suddenly they can see things he is now doing he wasn't before. Lucas has always been very good at balls between the lines forward in midfield. Just because he doesn't always take the option forward doesn't mean it's the wrong one. Now it's Rafa's fault and all. I'm sorry mate but the truth is more along the lines that you haven't got a clue what you were talking about when critising and scapegoating him. Lucas hasn't changed that much, your opinion has to suit the popular narrative of the time.

If Rodgers is now admitting that he's not really focussed on the back then it's a major flaw that will hinder long term success.

Every great side has been built from the back especially league title winning ones.

Even great Liverpool sides of old were like this (In 1982 conceded only 18 league goals).

If we concede not far off 50 league goals every season it will cost him his job. It might not be this season, or even next, but it will be his undoing for sure at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

IMO, he cannot be the former if he does not fix the latter.

Lol, we have this every time Lucas plays an extended run in the team and our results improve. The guys who berated him are never wrong. Suddenly they can see things he is now doing he wasn't before. Lucas has always been very good at balls between the lines forward in midfield. Just because he doesn't always take the option forward doesn't mean it's the wrong one. Now it's Rafa's fault and all. I'm sorry mate but the truth is more along the lines that you haven't got a clue what you were talking about when critising and scapegoating him. Lucas hasn't changed that much, your opinion has to suit the popular narrative of the time.

LOL, Here we have it, the be all and end all.
    Close the thread, John Daniels has spoken....the discussion is over! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

In fairness he seems to have fixed it with the new formation that has 3 cbs and 2 wing backs .
    Some of the goals conceded have been so poor .
    Even the goalkeeper looks more confident now . Last night when costa was let run at him one on one that would have been a goal for Chelsea a few weeks ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

When Lallana was coming on I was fully sure it would be for Coutinho. I was already thinking, ffs he has been really good the last 5 don't take him off. Gerrard's number going up was a complete shock but obviously the correct decision. First time I remember seeing the manager make it. Normally he is left on the pitch regardless for the 90 minutes but this felt like some kind of turning point, regardless of how it has been reached it was great to see.

Gerrard only passed a late fitness test to start so it was probably planned to sub him off anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How I'd set the team up for the rest of the season

Mig
    Can--Skrtel--Sakho
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Marko---Hendo-
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Sturridge

Coutinho/Gerrard/Lallana/Balo/Sterling can all be mixed and matched depending on circumstances.

klose wrote: »
    Gerrard only passed a late fitness test to start so it was probably planned to sub him off anyways

I'm honestly hoping Stevie is given a week to get ready for the second leg . He was awesome last night and the club needs another performance like that from him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

To be fair, our defence in the last 10 games or so has been as good as it has been for years. Lets see where we go with this, and if it can be maintained, before we jump on Rodgers all over again.

If we concede not far off 50 league goals every season it will cost him his job..............

With a dedicated DM and the 3 CBs I can't see things being that bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A feature about the Anfield expansion in this online version of FC Business magazine.

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/eversion/fc82/index.html

• Advertisement

Yes, but I'm referring more to their coaching rather than line ups.

He hasn't says he does no defensive coaching.
    Markovic obviously has gotten some :)

the sytem change would have been coached to an extent no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

klose wrote: »

I would imagine so.....he looked wrecked coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Just thinking about this change of system, its actually very similar to what was utilized at the end of last season. Back then Gerard allot of the time was so far back it was basically a back three with him in the centre, the full backs would push on becoming wing backs, hendo and Allen in the middle with three players in front of them. That's basically the same system with the inclusion of Lucas and skrtel moving to the centre at the back making it a lot more balanced defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If we concede not far off 50 league goals every season it will cost him his job. It might not be this season, or even next, but it will be his undoing for sure at some point.

He has shown he can adapt if necessary, the last while and the start of last season good examples.

Its against his philosophy natural instinct though and he got it right this time last year, whereas we all got it very, very wrong!

We've a solid enough base now, decent in midfield, we're a very creative team but we're missing the bleeding obvious.

Going from Suarez and Sturridge to Lambert, Borini and Balotelli not playing is unforgivable though, excuses and understandable reasons and all that aside.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If Rodgers can sort out his defensive issues and the club sort out the transfer strategy, we could be onto something special with the manager and most of the current players with only a few key additions needed.
    I think anyone calling for Rodger's head during the rough patch was incredible short-sighted.
    He has his failings, every manager does but I think he has shown enough that his positives outweigh his negatives.
    In each of his seasons prior to this, he has gotten incredible performances out of his teams and it wasn't Suarez carrying the team. And since the Utd game, which we lost only due to not having a proper striker, the performances and results are coming good.

His big failing this year has been relying solely on Sturridge to our main goalscoring striker.
    Lambert at best is useful for cover and rested our main strikers when the job is done. I know he scored some goals but a top 4 team shouldnt be relying on him to win matches.
    Balotelli was a cheap gamble but it was desperate thinking not added another less of a gamble signing along with him.

Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    With a dedicated DM and the 3 CBs I can't see things being that bad :)
    K-9 wrote: »
    He has shown he can adapt if necessary, the last while and the start of last season good examples.

Its against his philosophy natural instinct though and he got it right this time last year, whereas we all got it very, very wrong!

We've a solid enough base now, decent in midfield, we're a very creative team but we're missing the bleeding obvious.

Going from Suarez and Sturridge to Lambert, Borini and Balotelli not playing is unforgivable though, excuses and understandable reasons and all that aside.

I'm sceptical that the recent games have shown anything has been 'addressed' so to speak. We have conceded less, yes, but we are still leaking a good few chances. If we can maintain that allied with more threat going forward in the upcoming games then I'll be more encouraged. the games earlier in the season where he seemed to emphasise defending more were some of our worst attacking performances of the season so the two were not compatible.

If it's a personnel issue (i.e. getting rid of Lovren/Johnson) then we are only an injury or so away from more disaster. We seems to have moved in the right direction defensively, but whether it's as a result of attacking more and giving teams less space as we defend from the front or as a result of some defensive changes remains to be seen for me.

To me I think the team looks better defensively since Johnson has been injured.
    The chap is a car crash he runs forward looses the ball and then just gives up leaving acres of space behind him.
    I honestly hope he doesn't play again for LFC.

One general point as well.

It's so much more enjoyable watching games now, even if it's still nowhere near as exhilarating as last season. By November of this season I was sitting almost passively watching our games fully expecting rubbish performances and stupid goals to be conceded. Now we might play like that at times but at least I'm animated and think we have a chance of scoring when we go forward (except on corners) and don't just expect insipid, uninspiring tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

gafferino wrote: »
    In the build-up to the game, Rodgers had spoken of his belief that the 'identity' of his Liverpool team was beginning to return after the eight-match unbeaten run they went into their latest run-out looking to maintain.

The Northern Irishman explained: "There are different types of coaches. I watch a lot of the games and I hear the analysts talking about teams who are outstanding defensively, and who have defensive coaches.

"I am from a different bottle than that - I want to be creative and offensive, but always with tactical discipline in the game. I felt for two years we really worked towards that.

"In the first period of this season, we had been nowhere near that, firstly in terms of our pressure and intensity in our pressing, and then the creation of chances - it was non-existent, really.

"We got off to a really slow start, but we've been able to work well, analyse the team and the group of players we have in order to get the best out of what we've got.

"Which meant changing the system - the system can be whatever it needs to be. What is important for how I work is the style and the model of the game.

"Now you start to see that returning in the team, and that's the most important thing. The system can be 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3, whatever, but what is important for us and how we work is the level and the style of our football.

"That has shown that it can win games - and win a lot of games. We're starting to see that now, hence the reason results have picked up."

Surely winning is the most important thing :confused: Yeah, it'd be great if we could do it playing attacking, attractive football, but that should be secondary to winning.

I'm a fan of Rodgers, but that is a shocking admission imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My biggest criticism of Rodgers is how incredibly he slow he is at changing in the face of "the bleeding obvious". Gerrard at "quarter back" stopped working later on last season, yet he persisted with it, and it was the single most responsible reason for us being so vulnerable towards the end of last season, and the first quarter of this season. For me, that's hard to excuse.

Another couple of blind spots he had, and possibly still does:
    - unless/until we have an excellent DM then Lucas is BY FAR the best player at Liverpool to sit in front of our back four
    - Hendo is utterly wasted on the right side of midfield, he's made for CM, a fantastic player that is improving all the time

But he's done some good stuff. Initially he got Sterling playing in a position that suited him when it looked like he might not make it at the highest level; and again this year, he's been able to get him playing in a different position, and getting good results. I also like how he has set up the team with 3 at the back, and got Markovic playing wing back pretty well. It's not faultless, but at least it shows he is trying to get his best players on the pitch. I also like how he has Sakho passing through the middle of the pitch (though still not 100% convinced the good outweighs the bad with Sakho).

Anyhow, at least we are watchable again. I don't like listening to Rodgers, he's full of guff, but at least he seems to have seen the error of his ways and is taking a more pragmatic approach to system/selection now.

Benzino wrote: »
    Surely winning is the most important thing :confused: Yeah, it'd be great if we could do it playing attacking, attractive football, but that should be secondary to winning.

Did he say winning wasn't the most important thing?

Benzino wrote: »

I don't see how you can have a go at the manager for that you need everyone on the same level.
    Look at all the great managers they had a model or style and if a player doesn't suit or doesn't do their job out the door with them.
    Right now Jose is the best or one of the best managers in the world. He sold a player like mata because he didn't suit the club or his model. BR needs to do that abit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just a question and not an attack ay the man?

When you guys have done well or a game changes, does he not seem to use 'my' and 'me' a lot rather than 'we'?

I know its only minor but it comes across very egotistic. In say that I dont listen to all his interviews and maybe its just something he's done a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Did he say winning wasn't the most important thing?

Nope, but it was the impression I got from what he said. Even the last line suggests that he wanted to persist until his model/method started winning games. That's admirable, but I think the best managers will happily change their style if they think it'll get a better result on the day. It's what Jose does best imo (we all know Chelsea will be a more attacking threat next week).

Ultimately, his unwillingness to change approach, even for a game or 2, is probably what cost us the league last year (of course he was responsible for us even challenging for it).

I'm not trying to beat him with a stick here, like I said I'm a fan of Rodgers and want him to succeed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Please please please please let there be some truth to this.

Reds to make offer for Lyon goal machine Alexander Lacazette
    Liverpool will make an offer for Lyon striker Alexander Lacazette in the coming days, according to French website Le10sport.com.
    But Brendan Rodgers could face competition from PSG for the goal machine with the Ligue One side also watching Lacazette since last summer.
    The French international has scored 20 league goals so far this season which has made him a top target for a host of clubs throughout Europe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11359199/Liverpool-transfer-news-and-rumours-Reds-to-make-offer-for-Lyon-goal-machine-Alexander-Lacazette.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement