Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My biggest criticism of Rodgers is how incredibly he slow he is at changing in the face of "the bleeding obvious". Gerrard at "quarter back" stopped working later on last season, yet he persisted with it, and it was the single most responsible reason for us being so vulnerable towards the end of last season, and the first quarter of this season. For me, that's hard to excuse.

Another couple of blind spots he had, and possibly still does:
    - unless/until we have an excellent DM then Lucas is BY FAR the best player at Liverpool to sit in front of our back four
    - Hendo is utterly wasted on the right side of midfield, he's made for CM, a fantastic player that is improving all the time

But he's done some good stuff. Initially he got Sterling playing in a position that suited him when it looked like he might not make it at the highest level; and again this year, he's been able to get him playing in a different position, and getting good results. I also like how he has set up the team with 3 at the back, and got Markovic playing wing back pretty well. It's not faultless, but at least it shows he is trying to get his best players on the pitch. I also like how he has Sakho passing through the middle of the pitch (though still not 100% convinced the good outweighs the bad with Sakho).

Anyhow, at least we are watchable again. I don't like listening to Rodgers, he's full of guff, but at least he seems to have seen the error of his ways and is taking a more pragmatic approach to system/selection now.

I forgot one other unbelievably stupid Rodgers tactic that he stuck with against all common sense and for tar too long...encouraging the team to play out from the back, including the keeper, when our keeper is clearly not comfortable with it. Really poor management. They are still at it too at times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that'd be a proper signing.

young, room to improve, but has already performed and scored goals at a decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What happened to Hefferboi, haven't seen any posts from that guy in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Please please please please let there be some truth to this.

Reds to make offer for Lyon goal machine Alexander Lacazette
    But Brendan Rodgers could face competition from PSG for the goal machine with the Ligue One side also watching Lacazette since last summer.

Well if they do so they can sell us Lucas, be good to have two in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    One general point as well.

It's so much more enjoyable watching games now, even if it's still nowhere near as exhilarating as last season. By November of this season I was sitting almost passively watching our games fully expecting rubbish performances and stupid goals to be conceded. Now we might play like that at times but at least I'm animated and think we have a chance of scoring when we go forward (except on corners) and don't just expect insipid, uninspiring tripe.

I was dreading our matches in November. Credit here has to go to Rodgers and the staff just as the criticism they got was somewhat justified back then. They have managed to get us back playing to a level similar (ish) to last season. Not the free flowing goals of Suarez and Sturridge but the passing, pressing and control of games that has been in evidence over the last month. Really think if we keep this up and keep Sturridge fit we can have a fair lash at 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Give them 15 million and borini for lacazette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I wouldnt be getting any hopes up, all the noise from any reliable source has us doing no business this january, id be amazed if we spent 30m+ on lacazette. I think the time to get him was last summer, id say therell be a host of teams trying to sign him this summer and history has shown us that fsg dont win when battling with other teams for a signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

When I saw the telegraph link I got a little excited.. then I saw it was regarding rumours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

There was rumours about rumours.....but that was bullsiht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What happened to Hefferboi, haven't seen any posts from that guy in a while.

Heard he's been stuck in front of a mirror for the last from months trying to perfect his Chandsome hairstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whIBaGhOpIU

Lucas v Chelsea, was brilliant last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/raheem-sterling-happy-continue-central-8489759?

“It’s a role that I am learning and adapting to,” Sterling said. “But if you want to be a good player, it is something you’ve got to do, you’ve got to adapt and play in different positions.

“I want to learn as much as I can, and I’m enjoying it at the moment. It’s good for me.”

Sterling’s goal against Chelsea, a fine individual effort, was his seventh of the season in all competitions. The England forward managed 10 for Liverpool last season, and says he has set himself a personal target for this campaign – though he would not reveal the exact figure.

“I have personal goals, but I don’t want to share them in case I don’t reach them!” he said. “I always set myself goals and standards that I want to meet, and this season is no different.

“When I get in front of goal, sometimes I can get a bit excited thinking I’ve done it all. But I just have to keep focused, and work hard to try and take my game to the next level by getting more goals and assists.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Heard he's been stuck in front of a mirror for the last from months trying to perfect his Chandsome hairstyle.

Had a post half written, saying he went into a hairdressers a few weeks back and has yet to emerge, before I saw yours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

MR NINE wrote: »
    I wouldnt be getting any hopes up, all the noise from any reliable source has us doing no business this january, id be amazed if we spent 30m+ on lacazette. I think the time to get him was last summer, id say therell be a host of teams trying to sign him this summer and history has shown us that fsg dont win when battling with other teams for a signature.

I would love Lacazette but I think the above is true.

It would take 30m plus. I'd be delighted if we spent it but I believe he's probably moved into that bracket of player we will struggle to attract

Morzadec wrote: »
    I would love Lacazette but I think the above is true.

It would take 30m plus. I'd be delighted if we spent it but I believe he's probably moved into that bracket of player we will struggle to attract

While I don't believe that they have, FSG and the Club in general should have learnt from the failed transfers for Costa, Willian, Mkhitaryan, etc, and put the money up.

In reality, we have spent feck all in the last while (net spend), and there's no way in hell we can get the likes of Lacazette in the future if we don't go all out to get him now. It would be like trying to get Costa last summer over Chelsea. Never going to happen.

I have no problem with overpaying for the right players, and if we need to overspend on Lacazette now, then I hope we do it. Gerrard is leaving in the summer, Sterling is still too young, and Sturridge has spent of all this year injured. The Club needs a big player like him, and they should be breaking their balls to get him.

If there's even a chance that he's interested now, it better not be a deal that falls apart because of money issues again, and FSG dallying around, offering subpar fees and only budging on that when other teams (Chelsea, Dortmund etc) come in with bigger offers. Or refusing to match wages, and missing out on the player because the other team offers more (Sigurdsson and perhaps even Costa). We have the financial clout to get this done, and we are in big need for it, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/raheem-sterling-happy-continue-central-8489759?

“It’s a role that I am learning and adapting to,” Sterling said. “But if you want to be a good player, it is something you’ve got to do, you’ve got to adapt and play in different positions.

“I want to learn as much as I can, and I’m enjoying it at the moment. It’s good for me.”

Sterling’s goal against Chelsea, a fine individual effort, was his seventh of the season in all competitions. The England forward managed 10 for Liverpool last season, and says he has set himself a personal target for this campaign – though he would not reveal the exact figure.

“I have personal goals, but I don’t want to share them in case I don’t reach them!” he said. “I always set myself goals and standards that I want to meet, and this season is no different.

“When I get in front of goal, sometimes I can get a bit excited thinking I’ve done it all. But I just have to keep focused, and work hard to try and take my game to the next level by getting more goals and assists.”

Hope Sterling's goals are more realistic than Victory Moses ones last season. 20 goals me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lacazette is heavily rumoured to be off to PSG in the summer for about €40m/£30m. If we wanted him we would need to get in now with a better bid and better wages, both are highly unlikely though. Not to mention the fact Lyon are top of the league and would be mad to sell there best player.

We could have had him for £15m in last summer but we bought Mario instead:mad:

Benzino wrote: »
    Nope, but it was the impression I got from what he said. Even the last line suggests that he wanted to persist until his model/method started winning games. That's admirable, but I think the best managers will happily change their style if they think it'll get a better result on the day. It's what Jose does best imo (we all know Chelsea will be a more attacking threat next week).

Ultimately, his unwillingness to change approach, even for a game or 2, is probably what cost us the league last year (of course he was responsible for us even challenging for it).

I'm not trying to beat him with a stick here, like I said I'm a fan of Rodgers and want him to succeed here.

He hasn't changed the formation hence why results have picked up. A big factor anyway.

Will he change his philosophy on the game? Doubt it. I'd imagine that's ingrained in him.

I've seen enough of Rodgers to see he's a good manager.

Has he faults? Yes
    Is he trying to rectify them? Yes

In fairness things could easily go the other way this season so it's on a bit of a knife-edge. End of May will be a good time to assess Rodgers this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

rob316 wrote: »
    Lacazette is heavily rumoured to be off to PSG in the summer for about €40m/£30m. If we wanted him we would need to get in now with a better bid and better wages, both are highly unlikely though. Not to mention the fact Lyon are top of the league and would be mad to sell there best player.

We could have had him for £15m in last summer but we bought Mario instead:mad:

Makes sense given Cavani and Lavezzi will, probably, be shipped out in the summer (given their shenanigans over Christmas) and Ibra, whilst a fantastic player, is aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Big concern with replacing Lucas is just how Rodger's would go about it. That position requires defensive coaching, tactical coaching from the manager. Lucas learnt his trade within that position from two of the best in Alonso/Mascherano and had a coach in Rafa who was steeped within a philosophy that held the DM as a key position. Rodgers admits these aspects aren't his strong suit. If we can't coach defenders, I dread the idea of the current coaching team trying to mold a DM. The amount of knowledge, awareness, training etc it requires is huge.

More than any other position I think it requires football intelligence that you need to have learned from somewhere. The great white hope is that Rossiter will make the grade as he comes pre ready from the academy soaked in what that position requires through the age groups from the coaches Rafa hired. It would be a massive stroke of fortune for Rodgers if he does turn out to be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Big concern with replacing Lucas is just how Rodger's would go about it. That position requires defensive coaching, tactical coaching from the manager. Lucas learnt his trade within that position from two of the best in Alonso/Mascherano and had a coach in Rafa who was steeped within a philosophy that held the DM as a key position. Rodgers admits these aspects aren't his strong suit. If we can't coach defenders, I dread the idea of the current coaching team trying to mold a DM. The amount of knowledge, awareness, training etc it requires is huge.

More than any other position I think it requires football intelligence that you need to have learned from somewhere. The great white hope is that Rossiter will make the grade as he comes pre ready from the academy soaked in what that position requires through the age groups from the coaches Rafa hired. It would be a massive stroke of fortune for Rodgers if he does turn out to be good enough.

brilliant point that I hadn't thought of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd describe it as a massive effort of good coaching myself. Not that he is going to walk into the side in the next couple of years, they'll be someone else in the meantime (Can is the obvious candidate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He hasn't changed the formation hence why results have picked up. A big factor anyway.

Will he change his philosophy on the game? Doubt it. I'd imagine that's ingrained in him.

I've seen enough of Rodgers to see he's a good manager.

Has he faults? Yes
    Is he trying to rectify them? Yes

In fairness things could easily go the other way this season so it's on a bit of a knife-edge. End of May will be a good time to assess Rodgers this season.

this. the manager is still learning too, i have seen plenty to suggest that he can take us to great heights.. let him buy the players he says he needs,not the marios of the world.. he will make more mistakes but he can bring us to the top i believe,give him 5 seasons to get the squad he wants ,playing how he wants.. if we are standing still at 5th/6th then maybe look at replacing if someone better is availible..if were further back he wont make it to season 5 regardless..but he needs at least 5 seasons i believe, we cant buy a whole team of first teamers in 2 or 3 years, we have to buy 1 or 2 and develop the rest due to not so full pockets ...

i know some will say we spent big yada yada, but we have to spend big for 2 or 3 seasons to get a full squad of class, and we cant afford that.

also lads whinging about fsg not splashing out whenever we are in a pickle forget where we were before fsg.. and ffp...

we are run on a budget ,and they run it well imo..fair play to them,clubs moving in the right direction thank fcuk, i for one am optimistic for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So what you saying is that Rafa was a good defensive coach for Lucas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

To me I think the team looks better defensively since Johnson has been injured.
    The chap is a car crash he runs forward looses the ball and then just gives up leaving acres of space behind him.
    I honestly hope he doesn't play again for LFC.

He might do a job between the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

this. the manager is still learning too, i have seen plenty to suggest that he can take us to great heights..

Posts starting with "this.". What's that about? Is it cool? Maybe that's it.

Anyhow, Rodgers has demonstrated very clearly he's also a pretty slow learner or has blind spots when it comes to certain things too, unfortunately. And great coaches can coach defensive systems. We were wide open last year, and again last night. What has he shown us that suggests he can take us to great heights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyhow, Rodgers has demonstrated very clearly he's also a pretty slow learner or has blind spots when it comes to certain things too, unfortunately. And great coaches can coach defensive systems. We were wide open last year, and again last night. What has he shown us that suggests he can take us to great heights?

Wide open last night, in a game where the opposing team had one shot on target?? That being a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

klose wrote: »
    Gerrard only passed a late fitness test to start so it was probably planned to sub him off anyways

I'd say it was planned alright, Lallana was already on the sidelines waiting to come on for a few minutes and when Gerrard's shot hit the post he stayed on his hunkers for a few seconds; I got a real sense that he knew that was his last chance to score in the game and that he was going off. I'd say he's desperate to score against Chelsea to finish his career against them on a high. Hopefully he'll do it next week... ;)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

meaning ...what he said !! going by your post you dont even watch our games so why bother commenting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He might do a job between the sticks.

The only job he can do is leave ! I would honestly get a length of rope about 10ft long and tie one end to Lucas and the other to a wheelie bin and let Lucas drag a wheelie bin around then let Johnson start a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

This.

mosstin wrote: »
    This.

+1.

Emre Can has a bit of a Scholes pass in his locker

WastefulRapidHydra.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Also had a bit of a Scholes tackle in his locker for the peno. At least he isn't ginger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Drives me cracked too. It'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Knex. wrote: »
    Emre Can has a bit of a Scholes pass in his locker

WastefulRapidHydra.gif

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Johnson could do some job though

cleaning Totti's boots at Roma next season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Wow Carlos scores for Brighton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Getting lucas up from carra goalscoring stats to even skrtel level would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

And now a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

On a hat trick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ilori also got a start tonight for bordeaux against psg, 2-0 down at the moment. His season seems to be a bit of a write off with all his injuries.

Ipswich are a good side under mccarthy, good result for brighton if they win there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brighton Fanbase ‏@BrightonFanbase 20s21 seconds ago

Another stunning goal. Teixeira runs 15+ yards with the ball, beats 4 Ipswich players and sticks the ball over the keeper from far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Also the u18s are dishing out a whooping to derby in the fa youth cup, 5-1 up at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit of silly gossip....

Athletic Bilbao ready to offer Real Madrid up to €25 million for Asier Illarramendi [Marca]

Wonder would he be a good option for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

brevity wrote: »
    Bit of silly gossip....

Athletic Bilbao ready to offer Real Madrid up to €25 million for Asier Illarramendi [Marca]

Wonder would he be a good option for us?
    This didn’t work out as Illarramendi reportedly suffered from anxiety attacks and other issues to do with his nerves. He was struggling to adapt to the standard that is expected at one of the world’s biggest clubs.

If true then leave him in Spain.

I saw that alright but I wouldn't hold having a wobbler at Madrid against him. Seems he needs a fresh start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is he the guy who was caught doing the bull run dressed as Batman? :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Is he the guy who was caught doing the bull run dressed as Batman? :pac:

article-0-1C212F1B00000578-937_634x427.jpg

The midfielder Liverpool deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement