Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wow Carlos scores for Brighton.
    mosstin wrote: »
    And now a second.
    klose wrote: »
    Ilori also got a start tonight for bordeaux against psg, 2-0 down at the moment. His season seems to be a bit of a write off with all his injuries.

Ipswich are a good side under mccarthy, good result for brighton if they win there
    Brighton Fanbase ‏@BrightonFanbase 20s21 seconds ago

Another stunning goal. Teixeira runs 15+ yards with the ball, beats 4 Ipswich players and sticks the ball over the keeper from far out.
    klose wrote: »
    Also the u18s are dishing out a whooping to derby in the fa youth cup, 5-1 up at the moment.

I love the kids! :D

I suspect most of us reckon Tex will end up signing for a Championship level side but I'd like to see him get a chance
    pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

TheGuardian
    Jordan Henderson and Diego Costa almost came to blows in the Anfield tunnel as Liverpool’s Capital One Cup semi-final against Chelsea ended in acrimony.

The Liverpool midfielder had to be separated from the Chelsea striker by a member of his club’s backroom staff after the pair squared up following Tuesday’s first leg. No punches were thrown by Costa or Henderson but they pushed each other and were engaged in a furious argument.
    Sterling admits this season has had an impact mentally, in particular after being widely criticised for telling Roy Hodgson he was “a little tired” to start the European Championship qualifier in Estonia.

He said of his return to Jamaica: “I knew I would get loads of stick for being given the break but the manager did say at the start of the season this is what he would do. It was all pre-planned to have a break at some point. I have played a lot of minutes for someone my age but I am not complaining about that.

“I think it will help me. I am back now, refreshed and ready to go again. I am just focused on trying to help the team as much as possible. It is always good to get a few days off. I am focused on where I need to be, which is helping the team by scoring or providing assists. Mentally you feel it. I got a lot of stick about the tired stuff with England so it all came down on me. But it was the manager who makes the decisions. If he says take a week off who am I to say no? I am back now ready and focused.”

League Cup highlights on BBC1 at 11.15 pm

edit NOT 11 - you'll end up in front of that QoS sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

kfallon wrote: »
    Is he the guy who was caught doing the bull run dressed as Batman? :pac:

Nerves me hole!

G'wan Jordie ked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That Costa lad is a right piece of work. Not sure if it was Niall Quinn or the other commentator, but one of them did make reference about Henderson and Costa during the game. There also wasn't much talk after the game about him catching Emre Can in the face.

I love the kids! :D

I suspect most of us reckon Tex will end up signing for a Championship level side but I'd like to see him get a chance
    pre-season.

Dirty Harry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would be great to see them going out to wind Costa up from the start next week...not in a Skrtel elbow him in the face kind of way but the way Markovic was doing it to Luis for the whole of the first leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Costa will be Costa, if he played for us we'd be be following him off a cliff. I am more impressed with Henderson for getting stuck into him. Well played captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Costa will be Costa, if he played for us we'd be be following him off a cliff. I am more impressed with Henderson for getting stuck into him. Well played captain

I love how no one was afraid of him. Sktrel especially. I remember he battered him in a Slovakia Spain match.

• Advertisement

Qos is only starting on upc now. Filmon should have it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Odegaard to Madrid all but confirmed now. Such a naive decision, better he signed for a mid table Premier League club to start week in week out while developing his game, then earning a big money move to a top club. He'd be perfect for Southampton or Swansea given his style of play. Last we'll hear about him for a long time now I'd say.

Thought him being an LFC fan would sway his decision, but can't really blame him either, we've too many good creative midfielders already.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Odegaard to Madrid all but confirmed now. Such a naive decision, better he signed for a mid table Premier League club to start week in week out while developing his game, then earning a big money move to a top club. He'd be perfect for Southampton or Swansea given his style of play. Last we'll hear about him for a long time now I'd say.

Thought him being an LFC fan would sway his decision, but can't really blame him either, we've too many good creative midfielders already.

Quite on both counts - and look at the production line behind the current first team - most of the best players are attacking midfielders - Canos, Wilson, Kent, Ojo. Teixeria on loan, Ibe now back plus Alberto.

Heck this kid would never get a game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No idea how you consider it to be a good idea for a 15 year old to play week in, week out in the Premier league.

Jaoa!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'd argue it's not a naive decision at all. A kid with obvious talent at the age of 15 choosing to work with some of the best coaches in the world at a club with almost infinite resources at their disposal. If in a few years he decides he needs more first team football he can leave having spent a few years learning from the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

No idea how you consider it to be a good idea for a 15 year old to play week in, week out in the Premier league.

Well anything is better than wasting the next 5 years or more under the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Isco etc. and in the very likely event that older and more developed players will be bought and added to the list of players in front of him, Odegaard has practically zero chance of fulfilling his potential.

Now I'm not saying Stoke would be the best club for him, but if the kid had any sense or was given any good guidance, he would've went to Southampton, Ajax or any other club that has a good record of developing talent.

Any youngster thinking of signing for Real can pretty much kiss their dreams goodbye as they have a very poor record of developing talent because they have very high expectations, A LOT of money and the 'fans' tend to be impatient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

brevity wrote: »
    article-0-1C212F1B00000578-937_634x427.jpg

The midfielder Liverpool deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Thats a gimp suit right there, would be wary of his orientation :(

:eek: only joking chewie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I'd argue it's not a naive decision at all. A kid with obvious talent at the age of 15 choosing to work with some of the best coaches in the world at a club with almost infinite resources at their disposal. If in a few years he decides he needs more first team football he can leave having spent a few years learning from the best.

Its not always that simple. He hasnt a hope of making it at Madrid with the amount of money they spend on ready made players.. He should have joined a good club which was a step up from his former club but he has made too big a step far too soon I think. The right move would have been for him to join a club like Ajax, a club which is run around developing youth players where he could progress and be guaranteed a chance. The Eredivisie would also be a big step up in quality from the Tippeligaen in Norway and a perfect league for him to develop properly and then move on to the bigger leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Its not always that simple. He hasnt a hope of making it at Madrid with the amount of money they spend on ready made players.. He should have joined a good club which was a step up from his former club but he has made too big a step far too soon I think. The right move would have been for him to join a club like Ajax, a club which is run around developing youth players where he could progress and be guaranteed a chance. The Eredivisie would also be a big step up in quality from the Tippeligaen in Norway and a perfect league for him to develop properly and then move on to the bigger leagues

And just as it's not that simple to say he's going to a great club with great coaches and learning from the best in the world in his position, it's also not possible to say he hasn't a hope of making it at Madrid. The lad is 15. None of us have any clue what he may or may not turn out to be.

While I see what you're saying about clubs like Ajax and their reputation for bringing younger players through, it's just not possible to judge whether Madrid is the club he should have chosen. I highly doubt he expects to join Madrid and feature in first team plans instantly, but I've no doubt he's looking at the superstars there and thinking if I train with these and learn from these I too can turn out to be as good if not better.

Two sides to every argument and all that, but I think you'd find it very hard to get a player to choose a club like Ajax or Liverpool when Real Madrid come knocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Odegaard is far too young to be playing full time in any of the major senior leagues especially the premier league, he might get the odd sub appearance here and there but other than that you would imagine he will play most games with Real Madrid castilla who play in an actual league as opposed to the joke u21 leage in England where games seem to be months apart at this stage. He's guaranteed game time in Spain pretty much, less than he would get here I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

58 to many and he is awkward.:cool:
    Outfield players with the fewest incomplete passes (2014/15):

Of players that have attempted a minimum of 500 passes this season, the player that has misplaced the fewest is Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho, with the France defender having failed to complete 58 of the 525 passes he has attempted so far this campaign.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_9655209,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw on Twitter that apparently the Martin Odegaard lad will be on 80k a week at Real.

Madness at 16! Be a miracle at all if he stays on the rails with that kind of dosh.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/the-curious-case-of-jordan-henderson-and-his-funny-little-skip/9929

Extract:
    It would seem that Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has developed a sixth sense.

No, he can't see dead people (we assume) but Hendo appears to have developed a preternatural understanding of when a goal is about to be scored.

If you see the soon-to-be Liverpool captain do a little skip then you know the ball is about to hit the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knex. wrote: »
    Saw on Twitter that apparently the Martin Odegaard lad will be on 80k a week at Real.

Madness at 16! Be a miracle at all if he stays on the rails with that kind of dosh.

That's why they're doing the deal though. He's getting paid now. Barring total bust city he'll be at the club three or four years before he's released - earn the family up to €2m in that timeframe and still have equity left as a professional footballer after even if it goes poorly. Smart decision all round.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's why they're doing the deal though. He's getting paid now. Barring total bust city he'll be at the club three or four years before he's released - earn the family up to €2m in that timeframe and still have equity left as a professional footballer after even if it goes poorly. Smart decision all round.

I suppose 80k to Real for a prospect like that isn't a big deal. There's no way Liverpool could have gotten him at that wage though.

Can't blame the lad and his family at all for going with Madrid.

I suppose 80k to Real for a prospect like that isn't a big deal. There's no way Liverpool could have gotten him at that wage though.

Can't blame the lad and his family at all for going with Madrid.

If the biggest club in the world comes in for you and offers you a pile of cash you sign, simple as. I have no idea why people are irritated over this.

• Advertisement

How come we're not waxing lyrical about Tex? Played a blinder last night for Brighton

How come we're not waxing lyrical about Tex? Played a blinder last night for Brighton

Cos we didn't see the game live! - I saw the edited highlights on the League Show, both goals very well taken and he ought to have had an assist to his name as well.

Meanwhile over at the Bridge Mo Salah is being shifted on if they can do a deal. In the event from what little I've seen of him maybe Liverpool bought better in Markovic for a bit more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cos we didn't see the game live! - I saw the edited highlights on the League Show, both goals very well taken and he ought to have had an assist to his name as well.

Meanwhile over at the Bridge Mo Salah is being shifted on if they can do a deal. In the event from what little I've seen of him maybe Liverpool bought better in Markovic for a bit more money.

As happy as I have been with Markovic in the last 3 or 4 games - I hope we aren't losing the run of ourselves!

Joao Carlos Teixeira scores two goals for Brighton and says he's "growing" on loan from Liverpool FC

2nd goal:
    https://vine.co/v/OI1tDI0jwQv

Liverpool back in the Top 10 biggest clubs by turnover list at No 9 and £305.9m - so drinks all round.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30896253

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

Schurrle to Wolfsburg too, he might have been a realistic one we could have got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    The right move would have been for him to join a club like Ajax, a club which is run around developing youth players where he could progress and be guaranteed a chance. The Eredivisie would also be a big step up in quality from the Tippeligaen in Norway and a perfect league for him to develop properly and then move on to the bigger leagues
    It would be silly for any player to refuse Real Madrid to go to Ajax, especially these days when Ajax are broke and clubs like Real are throwing money around. I read he's going to be on 60k a week, he is being given his own villa, and they're even going to hire his grandfather as a coach. What would Ajax offer? I'd say he'd be lucky to get 5-10k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's 22 now and I believe his contract expires in the Summer. Would be surprised if he ever plays again for us.

It would be silly for any player to refuse Real Madrid to go to Ajax, especially these days when Ajax are broke and clubs like Real are throwing money around. I read he's going to be on 60k a week, he is being given his own villa, and they're even going to hire his grandfather as a coach. What would Ajax offer? I'd say he'd be lucky to get 5-10k a week.

A much better chance of sustaining a career as a professional footballer at the highest level. You only get one chance at it and he's chosen money over a much superior youth academy. It's fair enough, I'd probably do the same myself, but he's now just another youngster who's become obsessed with dollar signs. Doubt we'll hear much about him from now on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

A much better chance of sustaining a career as a professional footballer at the highest level. You only get one chance at it and he's chosen money over a much superior youth academy. It's fair enough, I'd probably do the same myself, but he's now just another youngster who's become obsessed with dollar signs. Doubt we'll hear much about him from now on tbh.

We don't really know the details to be fair. I'm sure he was well advised about everything.

• Advertisement

BMJD wrote: »
    We don't really know the details to be fair. I'm sure he was well advised about everything.

Yeah I don't doubt that at all, but on the surface of it, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon or Southampton are generally the best clubs to join as a young player, so all we can assume is that his head was turned by big money at an early stage of his career.

Yeah I don't doubt that at all, but on the surface of it, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon or Southampton are generally the best clubs to join as a young player, so all we can assume is that his head was turned by big money at an early stage of his career.

He's 15. He won't be breaking into the senior sides at any of those clubs for a minimum of 2 - 3 years also. He's also 15, so there is absolutely no guarantee he makes it at this point. Additionally, as a 15 year old this move is probably a culmination of coming on 10 years of effort on the part of him and his family to be a footballer.

What the **** is wrong with people? 'Head was turned'...nonsense. People are so determined to hold athletes to standards they would never enforce upon themselves.

Essentially: 2m to train at Real Madrid for a few years, with some of the best facilities, coaches and players available in the World.

Sign me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

What a terrible statistic that proves very little , Surely % complete passes gives the real test of what is being achieved. He is the lowest with over 500 passes but at 525 he is probably the closest to the cut off !

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's 15. He won't be breaking into the senior sides at any of those clubs for a minimum of 2 - 3 years also. He's also 15, so there is absolutely no guarantee he makes it at this point. Additionally, as a 15 year old this move is probably a culmination of coming on 10 years of effort on the part of him and his family to be a footballer.

What the **** is wrong with people? 'Head was turned'...nonsense. People are so determined to hold athletes to standards they would never enforce upon themselves.

Jesus, for as much posting as you do here, I'm surprised you haven't a clue what a youth academy is. Did I say Southampton, Sporting or Ajax were good TEAMS? No, I quite clearly said they had good youth academies, which is what this young lad needs to look for. He doesn't need to be breaking into any senior side in the next 2-3 years, that's what a youth academy is for, and the track records of the ones I've mentioned are FAR superior to Real Madrid's, that's common knowledge. All I said was his best chance of making it is by joining a world class developmental system, and that's something he hasn't done.

It's not that ****ing complicated.

Jesus, for as much posting as you do here, I'm surprised you haven't a clue what a youth academy is. Did I say Southampton, Sporting or Ajax were good TEAMS? No, I quite clearly said they had good youth academies, which is what this young lad needs to look for. He doesn't need to be breaking into any senior side in the next 2-3 years, that's what a youth academy is for, and the track records of the ones I've mentioned are FAR superior to Real Madrid's, that's common knowledge. All I said was his best chance of making it is by joining a world class developmental system, and that's something he hasn't done.

For all we know, his market value will never be as high as it is now. That's the way with young players in today's game. Only a small % ever fulfill their potential and go on to play the game regularly at the very top level.

Even with all of this interest, the chances of Odegaard going on to be a regular CL player at a top club, is still relatively slim, albeit probably a lot greater than over 99% of players his age at the moment.

I can't fault him or his family for jumping on the chance to earn that much money right now. His earning potential over a 3 year period may never be so high again, in all honesty.

For all we know, his market value will never be as high as it is now. That's the way with young players in today's game. Only a small % ever fulfill their potential and go on to play the game regularly at the very top level.

Even with all of this interest, the chances of Odegaard going on to be a regular CL player at a top club, is still relatively slim, albeit probably a lot greater than over 99% of players his age at the moment.

I can't fault him or his family for jumping on the chance to earn that much money right now. His earning potential over a 3 year period may never be so high again, in all honesty.

And that's exactly what frustrates me. I can't stand the fact that some young footballers would choose money at such an early stage of their career, and pass up the opportunity to develop at a proven, top class academy. As I said before, I totally understand why he went with Madrid, and I probably would've done the same thing if it was me.

Whats annoying me now is that certain posters are trying to twist my words about the situation into something different entirely. I see both sides of the argument, I was merely voicing my opinion and frustration that many young players nowadays are taking a huge gamble on their career for a big payout, when they could be putting their future in much safer hands. Just look at Chelsea, they must've wasted 20-30 promising young players in the last 10 years alone. It's the closest thing to career suicide, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lads look we signed Sterling when he was 16 and paid £600k rising to £5m and probably he got paid £2m in wages & sponsorships over those years.

So signing young lads and paying them big money is nothing new.

Some really do turn in great players others don't.

Madrid are the best team in the world and probably will be for a few more years who wouldn't want the child exposed to that while learning his trade.

Good luck to the lad.

Oh, I know well what a youth academy is. :pac: I didn't say they had good teams either.

You're right, it's not. Players and families at age 15 will have been working towards this move since they were kids. And they want to get paid now. The facilities and academy at Real might not be top five in the world but it's plenty good enough. And the trade off from ~no.4 in the world to ~no.24 is easily made when it offers a guaranteed financial reward.

• Advertisement

And that's exactly what frustrates me. I can't stand the fact that some young footballers would choose money at such an early stage of their career, and pass up the opportunity to develop at a proven, top class academy. As I said before, I totally understand why he went with Madrid, and I probably would've done the same thing if it was me.

Whats annoying me now is that certain posters are trying to twist my words about the situation into something different entirely. I see both sides of the argument, I was merely voicing my opinion and frustration that many young players nowadays are taking a huge gamble on their career for a big payout, when they could be putting their future in much safer hands. Just look at Chelsea, they must've wasted 20-30 promising young players in the last 10 years alone. It's the closest thing to career suicide, IMO.

You're talking about changing the percentage chance of success by a couple of points either way, that's the reality. If he has the necessary talent / athleticism / perseverance to make it at a top level this decision isn't going to prevent that. The liklehood is that he's <50% to be good enough, even while highly regarded at 15. As such, the smart move is to get paid.

Chelsea aren't wasting players. It's just that the majority of players will fail, that's just the maths of it. What confuses the issue is that we're hearing about players at this age as individual names in a way we didn't 20 years ago. A 15 year old hasn't fully developed as an athlete. Their mentality and personality isn't fully developed. And they have yet to be tested at a truly elite level where everyone is good enough. They are just a prospect. They will most likely fail to be good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement