Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 29-12-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there, help please.

We've arrived in Ireland, and are totally baffled by the health insurance situation. There are so many plans to choose from, that we can't figure out whether we're coming or going. The difference at the end of the market for cover that we can afford (i.e. the lower end)seems to amount to whether or not you have a private or a semi private room!

Our local public hospital which sees to have a reasonable list of departments, has low waiting times, yet the Mater (a hi-tech hospital in Cork) has horrendous waiting lists. What am I missing?

What happens about cancer cover here in Ireland? None of the plans seem to mention it, though radiology seems to be mentioned separately.

None of the websites I've examined really explain the ins and outs of the health system or the pros and cons of private health cover vs the public system. There is (naturally) an assumption that you understand how it all works.

Can anyone shed some light on what the heck we should do? Do we rely on the public health system as we did in the UK? I hear good and bad things about the Irish system (just like the NHS), or is it advisable to have PHI, and if so, why - what benefit does it really bring?

Any help gratefully received, thank you
    A very bamboozled
    Viking Lass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There was recently a thread called "what do I need in a health insurance plan" that should help a little bit. I can't link it, but if you search that title you should find it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vikinglass

Thank you jlm29, I had a quick look before I posted, but didn't really find anything, but now have something more specific to search on! Much appreciated.

Advertisement