Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear issue

• 29-12-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Again jago's problems!
    It is the whole year that Jago has recurring issue with the right ear.
    We went first time because he was shacking head and the vet prescribed drops of antibiotic.
    It looked a bit better, but after I would say 6 months same thing, worse.
    another antibiotic.
    Ok for few months and again.

What the vet said the 3d time is that outside the ear looks normal and fine, but more deep it is possible to feel like a "liquid".
    He took a sample and when he called back he said there was no sign of infection.
    he gave me a liquid to apply a couple of times a week to keep the ear clean.

But.
    Jago is shacking head a bit more.
    He has pain if I touch a part of his ear.
    Today I cleaned it with a tissue and a lot of brown discharge.

I don't know, he doesn't swim, I am trying to keep it clean, we have been 4 times during the year at the vet for the same problem and even if he said it might be chronic issue, he said it doesn't look bad the ear.

Food he is on JWB adult.
    Any suggestion?
    (I might check a different vet, just to see..)

(P.S. I know I am being a bit hypochondriac for jago, but it's not nice when he cries just because I touch the head on the wrong part, or to see him shacking head)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Has he been treated for ear mites ? Advocate spot on should cover it(get from vets) to rule them out.brown dirty discharge often seen with mites

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is the JWB cereal free?
    Setters are pretty prone to ear infections in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

The vet said he didn't have mites.
    Usually I put the advocate spot on.
    I'll put application now.

I don't think the JWB adult I am using is cereal free, but they should have one that is cereal free.
    Might be worth a try.

I heard they are prone to ear infections :(
    just not sure how to manage it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thornit powder is meant to be very good for clearing up ear problems - I'm waiting for mine to be delivered from vetuk to try on Lucy's mucky ear.

jsabina wrote: »
    I don't think the JWB adult I am using is cereal free, but they should have one that is cereal free.

There is indeed a cereal-free version available, I have a fussy little eater here and it's pretty much all she'll eat with enthusiasm!
    I'd certainly be looking into eliminating cereals, perhaps throw in some oily fish a few times a week too.
    For a product that enjoys quite a reputation, there's very little empirical evidence to show how Thornit works, it's an odd one!
    You may also need to trim any excess hairs from his inside his ears to allow better air circulation, though one of the things that makes Thornit popular is that it makes the hair easier to pluck out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Had same problem with my dog, put her on cereal free food, Taste of the Wild, Orijen or Acana, problem solved.

Vets seem to be clueless about diet when it comes to recurring ear problems.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Had same problem with my dog, put her on cereal free food, Taste of the Wild, Orijen or Acana, problem solved.

Vets seem to be clueless about diet when it comes to recurring ear problems.

Nutrition often isn't really a vets strong point, neither is behaviour/training. When you think about it it's not really something they would be taught about in depth compared to medicine/muscles/the body, etc!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

DBB wrote: »
    For a product that enjoys quite a reputation, there's very little empirical evidence to show how Thornit works, it's an odd one!
    You may also need to trim any excess hairs from his inside his ears to allow better air circulation, though one of the things that makes Thornit popular is that it makes the hair easier to pluck out.

:p I'd never heard of Thornit until I posted a pic of Lucy's ear on a FB group and everyone recommended it so decided to try it for her. How do you know if the hair needs to be trimmed/plucked!?

tk123 wrote: »
    :p I'd never heard of Thornit until I posted a pic of Lucy's ear on a FB group and everyone recommended it so decided to try it for her. How do you know if the hair needs to be trimmed/plucked!?

It's an age-old remedy used by people on the show circuit. I think if the ear hair seems greasy and waxy, it's time to take it out. Now, I'm only talking about hair on the outer rim of the ear, don't go digging too deep!

ok ordered JWB cereal free.. I'll switch over soon, I know that he likes JWB and he is a bit fussy eater as well..
    hopefully it will help :)
    tk123 let me know how it goes with the Thornit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

Hi,
    A few years ago our dog,a st Bernard,had ear issues that sound like what your dog has.

Continuous ear infections,ears sore to touch,shaking of the head,a vet that said it was an infection or ear mites.we used to have to get her knocked out and her ears cleaned out every 4-6 months.

By chance we were in a pet store and we spoke to someone working there bout nutrition.
    She told us that if dogs are allergic to chicken it can manifest itself in ear infections.
    3 years later after cutting out all chicken she hasn't had one infection.if you do this you will need to do alot of research as alot of non chicken based foods still has chicken liver as a tasting agent.
    We now use makes muhle from zooplus.

Of course when we told our vet he said he thought it could be that allergic reaction....yeah...

Good luck

Heskey1971 wrote: »
    Hi,
    A few years ago our dog,a st Bernard,had ear issues that sound like what your dog has.

Continuous ear infections,ears sore to touch,shaking of the head,a vet that said it was an infection or ear mites.we used to have to get her knocked out and her ears cleaned out every 4-6 months.

By chance we were in a pet store and we spoke to someone working there bout nutrition.
    She told us that if dogs are allergic to chicken it can manifest itself in ear infections.
    3 years later after cutting out all chicken she hasn't had one infection.if you do this you will need to do alot of research as alot of non chicken based foods still has chicken liver as a tasting agent.

Of course when we told our vet he said he thought it could be that allergic reaction....yeah...

Good luck

Sorry,that's Markus Muhle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had a cocker when I was a kid, my dad had to shave his hair short under the ear flap and on the underside of the ear to increase airflow, he also plucked the ear hair as suggested, it kept it clear most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive heard good things about Thornit powder
    One of my dogs was prone to ear infections - shaking his head etc - vet visits would sort it for a bit, but back to square one again.
    We got in to the habit of cleaning out his ears every couple of days - brown gunk initially, but after gentle cleaning over a couple of weeks, we managed to keep it clean and sorted it that way.

Poor Jago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Eilis Plasticpaddy

Try Argonyl cream; it comes ready to use in a special syringe (without needle!!) and is good for dogs and cats.
    My 14 old poodle, affected by a chronic otitis, was perfect after we treated her for 15 days with this product and- after two months- she is still happy with her ears!! (that is to say no scratching, no shaking head, no terrible smell)
    It could be a problem to find it in Ireland (I'm writing from Italy) but you can try to contact the Irish branch of Zoetis:

Zoetis
    9 Riverwalk
    National Digital Park
    Citywest Business Campus
    Dublin 24, Ireland

Phone: +353 1 4676650
    Fax: +353 1 4676651

Maybe Argonyl is sold under a different name in Ireland, so ask to your vet. specifying this is the Italian name of the medicine.

A special hug to jago!

Heskey1971 wrote: »
    Hi,

Good luck

You know MM contains chicken/poultry right?

Anyways the Thornit has arrived so going to try it!

Try Argonyl cream; it comes ready to use in a special syringe (without needle!!) and is good for dogs and cats.
    My 14 old poodle, affected by a chronic otitis, was perfect after we treated her for 15 days with this product and- after two months- she is still happy with her ears!! (that is to say no scratching, no shaking head, no terrible smell)
    It could be a problem to find it in Ireland (I'm writing from Italy) but you can try to contact the Irish branch of Zoetis:

Zoetis
    9 Riverwalk
    National Digital Park
    Citywest Business Campus
    Dublin 24, Ireland

Phone: +353 1 4676650
    Fax: +353 1 4676651

Maybe Argonyl is sold under a different name in Ireland, so ask to your vet. specifying this is the Italian name of the medicine.

A special hug to jago!

uhuh I am italian :D so next trip home I will look for it!
    Where did you buy it?
    interesting..
    have few options to try then!
    :)

Well I tried the thornit. It smells weird and the smell won't wash off my fingers lol :p but hopefully it'll keep her ear clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You know MM contains chicken/poultry right?

Anyways the Thornit has arrived so going to try it!

The black angus doesn't, the Natur Nah does though.

The black angus doesn't, the Natur Nah does though.

Using the black Angus one,there's very very few dog foods that don't have chicken of some type in it.
    I swear it was like a miracle the way it worked,not one infection since we stopped the chicken.
    Even if the infection stops you will need to get your dog sedated to syringe all the gook from deep down in the ear canal.

• Advertisement

Lucy's is just dirty rather than infected.. I think because of her love or rolling in muck!! :p She also has big dumbo ears so no air getting in! I used to have to clean Bailey's ears every week but haven't needed to since switching to raw. I even asked the vet to check them one time thinking there was something wrong because there was no wax at all. Vet was impressed lol

I don't know what Jago is.
    because last time he took a sample of ear dirt stuff to check it and said it was not infected..
    so it shouldn't be infection..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Well I tried the thornit. It smells weird and the smell won't wash off my fingers lol :p but hopefully it'll keep her ear clear.

It's an odd smell, isn't it? A bit like TCP.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It's an odd smell, isn't it? A bit like TCP.

yeah exactly like tcp! The difference after one treatment was amazing - you could even see some of the wax in the hair outside the ear like it's been drawn out and no redness in the ear at all. I'm sure it's just to trick me into a false sense of security and nothing to do with the smell of the powder.. But she hasn't rolled in poo since I started using it lol!!! :p

So at the end it looks like I am not paranoid.
    I went yesterday for a second opinion, because the black stuff was increasing and also in the other ear :(
    Jago always crying if I touched his head.

The vet had a look, Jago in lot of pain when he inserted the thing to look inside the ear.

He said that it's very inflamed and very very highly possible infected.

He put Jago on tablets Antibiotics and antinflamatory for one week (norbrook and marbocare).
    We want to try and rule out also allergy, so he is on JWB cereal free and no treats at all :(

I'll be back there in a week to see how it goes.. poooor jago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Eilis Plasticpaddy

Hi Jsabina,
    as for Argonyl I bought it in a pharmacy here in Italy, but I think you can find it also in Internet...try to Google something like "argonyl selling on-line" (or vendita on line, if you use the Italian version). Hope this helps poor Jago

Oh poor Jago!! The thornit powder worked well for Lucy and her ear is clean now so I'll keep using it every few weeks or as needed.

Advertisement