Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are you booking the ferry with this year ?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I usually do this in January to beat the post Christmas blues. Rosslare to Cherbourg for MH and family of four comes to €800 odd departing early July returning mid August with Stena. Haven't looked at anything yet myself for 2015 though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I booked in with irish ferries for roughly the same period as you. Rosslare to Cherbourg. There's a 10% discount until January 5th using code FRANCEC15 and you also get a free trip to UK, think stena offer the UK trip as well. It's my first time going abroad with camper so getting excited! Two adults and camper came in at €686.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Can't see where you are getting those prices - my IF trip at end June back end July is 1100 for Motorhome and 2 adults with basic cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

Going out on 7th of July and returning 5th of August. It would be even cheaper if I could have left it until July 12/13 and August 11/12 I think. Didn't book a cabin, just the reclining seats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Martin_D wrote: »
    Can't see where you are getting those prices - my IF trip at end June back end July is 1100 for Motorhome and 2 adults with basic cabin.

Martin, that's extortionate, just booked I.F. today Rosslare/Cherbourg return, August, and got Euro 540. Motorhome,Two adults and 1 child. Used the code FRANCEC15 as mentioned in earlier post for extra 69 euro off.

That's with the cheapest cabin available, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

We have not booked anywhere yet this year, but when I looked on line last night for Brittany ferries for motorhome and trailer for 2 people in an outside cabin it was down to €1300 odd from €1800 odd when I last checked over Christmas. Glad I did not book it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Martin, that's extortionate.

Without knowing exact selections, its difficult to know whether its extortionate or not.
    - June/July is the most expensive time to travel with Irish Ferries.
    - Price difference between Children and Infants.
    - Price difference between Reserved seat to Premium suite.
    - Flexibility option or not.

The 10% early booking discount with Irish Ferries - with code FRANCEC15 - is for bookings made by the 3 February 2015 for travel 10 Jan 2015 – 17 December 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Last year I booked a P&O Ferry crossing from N Ireland to Scotland through directferries.com . I had to cancel due to serious illness but had a non transferable booking. Produced proof of illness and got full refund without any quibbles. Got great service from Direct Ferries. Will use them again. :)

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Without knowing exact selections, its difficult to know whether its extortionate or not.
    - June/July is the most expensive time to travel with Irish Ferries.
    - Price difference between Children and Infants.
    - Price difference between Reserved seat to Premium suite.
    - Flexibility option or not.

The 10% early booking discount with Irish Ferries - with code FRANCEC15 - is for bookings made by the 3 February 2015 for travel 10 Jan 2015 – 17 December 2015.

Well OK, "extortionate" is possibly too strong a word. I suppose you have to go when you can get the time off work.
    But if the best price we could get was €1100, we would not be able to afford to go, so its a matter of picking week day sailings and cheaper cabins.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Well OK, "extortionate" is possibly too strong a word. I suppose you have to go when you can get the time off work.
    But if the best price we could get was €1100, we would not be able to afford to go, so its a matter of picking week day sailings and cheaper cabins.

The options we went with are Motorhome; 2 adults in 2 berth cabin with no window; end June out - 3 weeks later back = €1100 with France15 discount code. As I said I can't see where the lower prices are coming from. More or less same dates was €200+ with BF.
    We're going anyway but price ain't great value.

Well they ramp up the weekend sailing's prices, compared to the weekday sailings. I could have picked Saturday sailings, but they were coming in at 340 odd euro plus cabin each way, as opposed to 204 euro plus cabin for a Monday or Tuesday. The companies know that the vast majority of people get off work on a Friday and want to sail at the weekend. The same way that return fares drop dramatically from the 1st of September. It's still unpalatable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Well they ramp up the weekend sailing's prices, compared to the weekday sailings. I could have picked Saturday sailings, but they were coming in at 340 odd euro plus cabin each way, as opposed to 204 euro plus cabin for a Monday or Tuesday. The companies know that the vast majority of people get off work on a Friday and want to sail at the weekend. The same way that return fares drop dramatically from the 1st of September. It's still unpalatable.
    I'm looking forward to being retired with kids reared and going off at those times when nobody else can for half nothing - have to wait another good few years though. In the meantime there's always the lotto.... We live in hope.

Advertisement