Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental and insurance under 21 Atlanta?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to rent a car at 20 in Atlanta? I presume some sort of a convertible would be out of the question? Heading to the states for a few months this summer and was hoping to drive up the coast. Also, how does insurance work? If I were to buy a car would I be better off to get a Georgia drivers license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It is possible. Do your research and compare prices. Hertz will rent to you at age 20 with a surcharge (they sometimes have promotional offers which waive this charge) but may restrict you to certain vehicle classes. You can follow their instructions here to see if you can rent a convertible - https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/customersupport/index.jsp?targetPage=faqsRightNow.jsp&search=under%2021

Hertz is usually more expensive than a lot of other rental companies, but also better to deal with.

If you rent, make sure you take photos and/or make a walk-around video of the car before you drive it. You don't want to get hit with bogus charges for damage that may happen after you turn the car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It should be possible to rent but you may have to jump through some hoops.

I would contact all the major rental agencies and ask.

Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, Dollar, Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty, Enterprise.

I really wouldnt bother with the hassle of buying.

Also remember there's usually an extra charge for dropping a car off in another state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The companies are all clear about it on their websites

Saith Hertz : On most retail rentals at corporate locations and participating licensee locations in the US, the minimum age is 25 without an additional Age Differential Charge, and 20 with an additional Age Differential Charge.

Saith Enterprise: To avoid a youthful driver fee, the primary renter and any additional drivers of the vehicle must be at least 25 years of age.
    Minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21 years of age.
    Rental rates may be higher for renters between the ages of 21 and 24
    Certain specialty and larger sized vehicles may not be rented to drivers under the age of 25.

As for dropping it off in another state, most charge $500 one way fee

In all...it'll work out cheaper than buying, not to mention A LOT less hassle - for one thing you need a US address, proof of insurance, spend time at the DMV registering the thing. Not to mention each state has different laws as to ownership/out of state licenses

You may want to think about doing a big loop and ending up where you began on your trip, and sucking up the young renters fee

• Advertisement

And find out which of them doesnt restrict the type of vehicle, so you can get a convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

If you are planning to make certain specific stops for reasons of your own, driving may make sense. On the other hand, if the drive itself is your objective you should be aware that it's not a particularly pleasant drive. Unless you are planning a very lengthy trip off the main roads, you will not see much on the interstate highway and will hit several areas where you will be stuck in traffic for very long periods (unless you are very lucky.)

It's certainly doable, but you'd need to plan carefully to avoid an expensive & frustrating trip.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Also, how does insurance work?

Insurance is usually added on and can be as much (or more) as the hire of the vehicle so bear that in mind.

The good thing is that its the same rate if you get a econo hatch or a 5 litre camaro.

But you should certainly check in advance. Every US state has slightly different regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Check with your insurance company in Ireland, too. They may have coverage for rental cars while on vacation. Also check with your credit card company to see what they cover. The insurance they sell you at the counter is way overpriced, but most people haven't done any research before getting to the rental counter, and the rental clerks are good at scaring you into buying it. Some people are paying for duplicate insurance coverage without realizing it.

As for the drive up the Eastern seaboard, as someone said above, I-95 is just a boring highway where you won't see much at all. I drove from Miami Beach, FL to Park Ridge, NJ in 22.5 hours (1354 miles) and don't remember seeing much besides trees and cops.

Check with your insurance company in Ireland, too. They may have coverage for rental cars while on vacation.

As far as I know. And I may be wrong. But I dont think US rental companies can use Foreign insurance coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Cheers for the replies! Yeah that could be right... As far as I know neither of my cards have any benefits whatsoever... Irish credit cards are pretty much just credit... No benefits... Bar a percent cash back on a platinum one maybe! Cheers though!

Advertisement