Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are kids so spoiled

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I reckon a lot of the time there's a need to feel like we've given our children more than what we've gotten. Do it too much however and it can be taken for granted.

We just got our lad a trike. He hasn't gotten around to using it yet though, due to all the activity based gifts he got from friends and family that he keeps playing with. But in their own way even though it seems like a lot overall and we're scratching our heads over where to put the stuff, each individual gift wasn't excessive in itself.

That's how we'd hope further Birthdays and Christmases go. If there was going to be something big he was going to get, such as whatever games console or gadget, I'd rather he felt a sense of earning it, to appreciate it's value. Now that doesn't mean sending him down the mine to get his own coal, as mentioned by another poster earlier :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I just can't believe I wanted a typewriter!

It had that catchy Dolly Partonesque tune in the ad though! I got one. I was an only child and spoiled. I now have four kids who I am very careful not to spoil. They're generally very grateful for what they get and are careful not to ask for too much lest Santa thinks they're greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think at some point when the money was rolling in back in the long, long ago. Parents were buying their kids DVDs, video games, computers and the like to keep them quiet while they did whatever it is they wanted to do themselves.

I reckon it might come full circle. Now that so many people aren't working, people might actually pay attention to their kids and fix the next generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

tempnam wrote: »
    Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

Couldn't resist, sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There does seem to be outrageous spending on Christmas presents for kids. I was a 70's kid and my brother and I always got the main present that we asked for as well as some other cheaper stuff. My parents felt that kids shouldn't get everything they asked for. I think most of the spending is parents trying to outdo each other, a kind of Christmas keeping up with the Joneses. All in all, I find it kind of pathetic and it doesn't do the kids much good in the long run if they get everything they want when they ask for it. Life doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Having been a child in a traditional 'working class' area on the southside of Dublin in the 1980's, and having attended a generally 'working class' school (on the Long Mile road) even then, there were always a few in the classroom who seemed to be spoiled rotten, even though the money wasted would have served them better being saved up for further education down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Spent about €550 on eldest
    €200 on middle child
    €80 on youngest
    And guess who sulked Christmas morning?????

The eldest because his phone cover needed to come off to be able to slot into his wireless speaker dock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

RayM wrote: »
    In my day, you had to make your own iPad and PS4.

My 7 year old got fed up of being told he couldn't have a DS and made his own out of a load of overlapping sheets of paper with all the different apps and games. I laughed so hard I wanted to buy him a DS just for the effort. But I didn't, because I'm a prick.

My 7 year old got fed up of being told he couldn't have a DS and made his own out of a load of overlapping sheets of paper with all the different apps and games. I laughed so hard I wanted to buy him a DS just for the effort. But I didn't, because I'm a prick.

I bet when he looses teeth, you leave a bill from the tooth fairy for tooth disposal under his pillow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Because 7 ate 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A Prickarooney?

Still though, fair play to the kid. He's like "feck that wanker, I'll make me own...et Voila!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did we spoil our 6 yr old at Christmas? Fcuking right we did. Because we wanted to, and because we could. She didn't even ask for half the stuff she got.

And I won't apologise or make excuses for it either.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did we spoil our 6 yr old at Christmas? Fcuking right we did. Because we wanted to, and because we could. She didn't even ask for half the stuff she got.

Don't worry, you'll be regretting it in about 10 years time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

pablo128 wrote: »

I think there are a few people in this thread who should spend their time and energy volunteering for Barnardos or Childline instead of fretting about children whose only problems are that they supposedly get given too much for Christmas/b'days etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Because you touch yourself at night

Aye.
    If yis keep yer hand off de Divil's Mickie den yis won't be havin any Spolt Brats :cool:
    Yis should go ta Mass more offen.
    And every toime yis git de horn, say tree Hail Marys ta make it go away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement