Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosette Nebula 28 December 2014

Options
  • 30-12-2014 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Here is my first effort at the Rosette Nebula in Monoceros.

Its 49 subs at 2 minutes each, at iso800, so 98 minutes in total.

I put in a little effort with this one. Got everything setup by 10pm, got polar alignment fairly good with the Skywatcher HEQ5, I then did a 2 star alignment, with the 2nd star being Aldebaran, so I used it, and the fainter stars around it to get focus done with camera attached.
    Swung around to the Rosette Nebula then,and thankfully,it was bang on where you see it in the image. Thank god for accurate mounts :)

Gear used was a Canon 1000D (astro-modified), attached to a Skywatcher 80ED-DS-Pro scope, mounted on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount.
    Camera control was via APT, which is a free program, and means I can control the camera from the kitchen, once its all set up.

Rosette98m49x120s800isoJJ_zps67f5e135.jpg

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, and processed in Photoshop (quickly!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Beautiful...

What do you mean by "astro modified"?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Great one Kersh!
    Beautiful...

Generally its removing the IR Cut Filter to get infrared data and also copper cooling in some instance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Beautiful...

As Zeroy said, its just usually removal of one of the filters.

Here is a link to the crowd that do either modifications to your own camera if you send it to them, or you can be already modified ones off them.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Here is the exact same data, re-processed by someone who knows photoshop post processing better than me!

Its all the same data, no trickery, just various tweaks are used to drag it out.

RosetteDC_zps5cc771aa.jpg

Many thanks to Dave Connolly Photography for looking at the data :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

That's a great image with only 2 min subs. Was it taken from a dark sky site? Strangely, I'd prefer the original image, way more natural looking.

• Advertisement

It was taken from Julianstown. The horizon just below Orion is partially lit by the M1 Motorway, but all in all, its not a bad site.

I think I prefer the subtle nature of the original, though that was Dave's first re-process.

He has done another since that is a bit less "pushed".

Those Skywatcher 80ED's are deadly little scopes for the astrophotography!

Have you had much done over last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Kersh wrote: »
    It was taken from Julianstown. The horizon just below Orion is partially lit by the M1 Motorway, but all in all, its not a bad site.

I think I prefer the subtle nature of the original, though that was Dave's first re-process.

He has done another since that is a bit less "pushed".

Those Skywatcher 80ED's are deadly little scopes for the astrophotography!

Have you had much done over last while?

They are great little scopes alright. No Stephen I haven't done anything since 2013 but will definitely get out this year. Lost interest for awhile but started setting up again recently just for some moon shots and the bug is back☺

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

That's fantastic stuff Kersh! Really impressive. I haven't had the scope out all year due to time constraints. Might have to sell up, still those pics are inspiring.

Advertisement