Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Android Lollipop on Chromebook

Options
  • 30-12-2014 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm getting a laptop that I plan to use as a web-browser/video player. For ****s and giggles, I'm thinking of getting the Acer Aspire CB5-311 13 Inch Chromebook from Argos (I've already got it reserved) and replacing ChromeOS with Android.
    I'm looking to get Lollipop on it, but some googling says that the only stock images are for the Nexus tablets. If I download those image files, would it work with the chromebook? Would Android be able to read/write files off a USB hard drive or flash drive?
    If I can't get Lollipop, what about Kitkat?

Just to let people know, this specific Chromebook that I've reserved does NOT have a desktop style x86 CPU. It has an Nvidia Tegra K1, which is an ARMv7 CPU. This means I can't make use of the Android x86 images that I've found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm getting a laptop that I plan to use as a web-browser/video player. For ****s and giggles, I'm thinking of getting the Acer Aspire CB5-311 13 Inch Chromebook from Argos (I've already got it reserved) and replacing ChromeOS with Android.
    I'm looking to get Lollipop on it, but some googling says that the only stock images are for the Nexus tablets. If I download those image files, would it work with the chromebook? Would Android be able to read/write files off a USB hard drive or flash drive?
    If I can't get Lollipop, what about Kitkat?

Just to let people know, this specific Chromebook that I've reserved does NOT have a desktop style x86 CPU. It has an Nvidia Tegra K1, which is an ARMv7 CPU. This means I can't make use of the Android x86 images that I've found.

I'm not too familiar with Chromebooks but I don't think there's much ongoing work to enable users to switch out ChromeOS for Android (Jellybean, Lollipop or otherwise). Those Nexus Lollipop images you are seeing are definitely device-specific; it's not like a Windows installation disk that can be installed on any IBM-compatible computer or laptop.

There's a website here that discusses how to install Android apps on a Chromebook but it's really early days and there are limitations.

If you really want to run Android apps then get an Android tablet / laptop, or even better get a cheap Windows tablet and run Blustacks (software to install Android apps). ChromeOS has very limited appeal IMO unless you are constantly connected to the net and are 100% using Google services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I'm not too familiar with Chromebooks but I don't think there's much ongoing work to enable users to switch out ChromeOS for Android (Jellybean, Lollipop or otherwise). Those Nexus Lollipop images you are seeing are definitely device-specific; it's not like a Windows installation disk that can be installed on any IBM-compatible computer or laptop.

There's a website here that discusses how to install Android apps on a Chromebook but it's really early days and there are limitations.

If you really want to run Android apps then get an Android tablet / laptop, or even better get a cheap Windows tablet and run Blustacks (software to install Android apps). ChromeOS has very limited appeal IMO unless you are constantly connected to the net and are 100% using Google services.

Okay, thanks. I didn't pick up the chromebook (got side-tracked), so it looks like I'll have to wait a while before I can simply pick one up and browse the Play Store like a typical tablet.

Advertisement