Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2015 discount code

Options
  • 30-12-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got an email yesterday with a discount code for this years Great Limerick Run. If you sign up before midnight on the 3rd of January you get 10 percent off the early bird price. The code to use is GLR2015.
    The normal early bird prices apply then until the start of Feb when they go to full price. I got my half marathon entry for around 40 euro, I think a booking few of a euro or two is added on (early bird price is 45 euro and the full price is 55).
    Hoping that I can do the run okay as working on a piriformis issue so originally had thought not to sign up till nearer the day but with the discount I'll chance it and will walk some of the distance if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Jezzuzz..... €40, €45 or €55 for a half marathon. .. call the cops there is a robbery in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Fair enough to say that I think but still a race I'd like to do, I lived in Limerick for 4 years around the year 2000 so fancied doing a race down there. I like to mix it up a bit with doing some of the smaller clubs races with a few hundred and a few of the big event races throughout the year. I just enjoy them and have to accept that I probably won't run as fast as I'd like to with the crowds and no doubt ducking and weaving at the start.
    For me at least the discount to bring it down to 40 is not too bad, the main annoyance for me is having to collect the race number at the expo the day before. Wish they'd post it out before hand but guess they want to get their sponsors the chance to sell you stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

baza1976 wrote: »
    Jezzuzz..... €40, €45 or €55 for a half marathon. .. call the cops there is a robbery in progress.

Cork City starts at €42 and goes up to €62 for the half. Some RD's put Marathon or half Marathon in the title and think it's a license to charge whatever they want.

The GLR 6 miler is a rip too, I've run some excellent half marathons that cost less. Seriously, who wants to run a 6 miler. The race is on in a city with a grid formation, how hard could it be to make it 10k?

I honestly don't know how the GLR can justify the high entry fees. There are no real road closures which either puts you in danger of getting hit by a car or slows you down constantly when trying to overtake slower runners from the half or the full and very little garda presence. It's seems to be the case for these races now to charge whatever they can get away with and shoddily organise the event by giving the bare bones in return.

After the GLR RD's recent handling of the Human Race where all constructive criticism of the event was deleted from the Facebook page and no results were published after because he threw a hissy fit. This isn't an event for runners and for those reasons, I won't be running my home city race.

Points taken for sure there but all the same I thought getting a few quid off will help people save a few quid if they do choose to enter and hence my post. I have no vested interest and just a race I'm going to take part in all going well.
    I've only ran one half marathon to date and that was the Dublin Race Series one last September, hopeful to try do that again next year but have a wedding in Kerry the day before so don't think it's a runner for me. I'm hoping to complete a few more half marathons next year ahead of making my first attempt at the marathon distance at the Dublin City Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, definitely try work one of those into my year. The smaller races are great I find for being able to properly test yourself as you don't have to worry about crowds as such (easier to find an appropriate starting spot), far safer, generally well marshaled and better value for money especially if going to a good cause as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Do any serious runners enter the GLR ?. By that I mean it's not a marathon that most people dream of doing, I know it's a young event, but do many good club runners in Belfast, or Cork or Glasgow, aspire to coming to Limerick for the GLR?.

It's biggest market seems like the '6 mile', yes why can they not find .25k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The marathon is quite small, under 700 people, and about 30 under 3 hours last year. 3 under 2.30 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    The marathon is quite small, under 700 people, and about 30 under 3 hours last year. 3 under 2.30 I think

4 actually, all under 2:27. Very decent standard at the front of the field....

menoscemo wrote: »
    4 actually, all under 2:27. Very decent standard at the front of the field....

yeah, but a big gap back when you get out of the prize positions
    Maybe no worse proportionately than Dublin, but the field is small overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Do any serious runners enter the GLR ?. By that I mean it's not a marathon that most people dream of doing, I know it's a young event, but do many good club runners in Belfast, or Cork or Glasgow, aspire to coming to Limerick for the GLR?.

It's biggest market seems like the '6 mile', yes why can they not find .25k ?

Permits for races for 10K and over are confined to anyone over 18 years of age. Races of under 10K are not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AFAIK Limerick give fairly decent prize money or at least used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »

Don't let the numbers for DCM cloud your judgement. 700 runners makes this one of Ireland's biggest marathons.

Update: Found it. In 2013, Limerick was the 5th largest marathon in Ireland, including NI: http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/01/largest-marathons-in-ireland-in-2013.html

Don't let the numbers for DCM cloud your judgement. 700 runners makes this one of Ireland's biggest marathons.

Yeah, true enough. I think that means Ireland has only one non-small marathon!

Permits for races for 10K and over are confined to anyone over 18 years of age. Races of under 10K are not.

Interesting, didn't know that.

I don't think that's the reason though. The Marathon is the only race with a permit.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/

Putting two and two together, Making the 6 mile a 10k would require the event to get a permit for 10k because extra road closures would have to be made on the Thomond loop to accommodate the extra .2 of a mile. The half marathon and 6 mile are unpermitted events even though they are run on the same roads as the marathon because each separate event needs a permit.

I'm confused about how an event can get a permit for only one race out of three. Do the AAI not have a problem with an event using one permit to cover three races?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Interesting, didn't know that.

I don't think that's the reason though. The Marathon is the only race with a permit.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/

Putting two and two together, Making the 6 mile a 10k would require the event to get a permit for 10k because extra road closures would have to be made on the Thomond loop to accommodate the extra .2 of a mile. The half marathon and 6 mile are unpermitted events even though they are run on the same roads as the marathon because each separate event needs a permit.

I'm confused about how an event can get a permit for only one race out of three. Do the AAI not have a problem with an event using one permit to cover three races?

I understand that their getting an International (IAAF?) permit. I think it is to facilate International athletes and the event can be held on the same day or time as other events in the region.

The 6 mile race was originally 10k. However, they made a shambles and the actual distance was 9.1 Km :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Putting two and two together, Making the 6 mile a 10k would require the event to get a permit for 10k because extra road closures would have to be made on the Thomond loop to accommodate the extra .2 of a mile.

impossible to do that. the fastest 6 mile traffic is coming through at the same time as the slower HM runners. would be a shambles.

separate start lines would be the only way it could be done. then you're either moving timing mats, or having 2 sets of them

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

limerickandproud is the code for a 10% discount. ends tonight

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

From tomorrow its#paythesameaseveryoneelse..

Alright, I take it back. Sounds like the organisers are making a move in the right direction now. The half marathon will now be run in conjunction with Athletics Limerick and become the County Half Marathon Championships which means a good proportion of the profits will be going back into local athletics. And getting an IAAF permit would show a move towards an athlete centered event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

AFAIK The Great Limerick Run has always had an IAAF permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Are there many from round these parts signed up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I am but you knew that. Have you run it before in any of its different forms Bulmers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Bulmers74 wrote: »

I'm going to wait until my last long run is done,in a few weeks before I pay up.I had a miserable time with injuries last year so I don't want to tempt faith.So far the old body is holding up well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

haven't signed up yet, but will be. was waiting to see if the wife was going to do the 6 mile and wanted company. looks like not, so i'm going to sign up for the half, and might go out with a goal. did the half last year as a training run with no goal, and the 6 mile the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'll be there too. Not signed up yet but I'll be doing so sometime mid April I'd say. Looking good for the full at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I am but you knew that. Have you run it before in any of its different forms Bulmers?

Did the half the last 2 years - only my 3rd full having done DCM in '13 & '14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

I was only fooling myself, I'm in for the half. Just going to run it for the craic and the weekend that's in it off 10k training.

I'm doing it myself but will be just tipping around as training is nowhere near what it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Bulmers74 wrote: »

Yup I'm giving it a go as well.

Advertisement